The Fat Cow and Oyster Bar
20178 96th Ave
Langley, BC V1M 0B2Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: CAN$30 and under
The Fat Cow and Oyster Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thefatcow.ca/
- Phone: (778) 298-0077
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday - 4pm - close
Friday 4pm - close
Saturday 5pm - close
Sunday 5pm - close
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, English, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Christopher Leon Roper
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Catering: The Black Radish Catering Co. is our sister company catering events from 2 - 350
- Private Party Contact: Chris Roper 778-298-0077x
- Entertainment: Live music Every Friday and Saturday Night
A word from The Fat Cow and Oyster Bar
The Fat Cow is located on the corner of 201st and 96th in Langley British Columbia we are a small and warm restaurant with dark hardwood floors and comfortable and relaxed seating. The Fat Cow serves up French inspired northwest cuisine as well as having a fully operational oyster barContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
The Fat Cow and Oyster Bar - Best Restaurants in Langley ›
The Fat Cow and Oyster Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (41)fit for foodies (35)special occasion (22)romantic (17)good for groups (16)late-night find (8)notable wine list (7)hot spot (6)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- ChoochooDined on 11/21/2014Had a great evening. Particularly enjoyed the live music and fresh seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mehOysterloverDined on 11/20/2014Second experience with 2nd rate service Gritty oysters with no attempt to correct the issue Nice decor Pay attention to your guests to the same degree as your design Water girl was on the ball...almost obsessively Big prices...bigger disappointment Burger was a hit
- Fat Cow - LangleyBrettoDined on 11/14/2014Went to the restaurant at 8pm Friday night, and seated beside a 50+ table consisting of 3 people. We have never heard the F bomb used that many times, or in that many ways over the 2hrs that night. Unfortunately it overwhelmed our experience. This was not the restaurants fault, but did ruin our experience. The appetizers were very good, we had the mushroom tart / flatbread, and beet and goat cheese napolean. Dinner was good, due to 1 of 2 entrees being luke warm. Flavourful, creative plates, generous portions, and nice presentation. If the pork 3x was hot, wow it would have been great. Server was pleasant, but not speedy upon arrival, taking 15 minutes to receive drinks. Once order was placed the tempo increased. 3rd time at restaurant, and meals have been above average. Band was playing, which was also a plus for the experience. If they only played loud enough to drown out the f-bomb terrorists beside us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but service lackingLMBGDined on 11/14/2014Food was good and cooked well (and they were very accommodating with my gluten sensitivity), entertainment was wonderful (The Flanagan's), but the service could be improved. We were forgotten about once we were done our dinner and not offered anything else to drink. Even took our coffee cups away without asking if we wanted more. Had to go up to the bar to ask for a glass of wine! Would consider recommending to friends if the service was better. As it is, don't think I'll be crossing the bridge anytime soon to go again.Special Features:
- Great hidden gemDerbyhills62Dined on 11/14/2014The mussels are fantastic and the beer selection is very good . The overall atmosphere is warm and inviting and our server Emily is so pleasantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and interesting menuelvis15Dined on 11/8/2014Being a regular diner at this restaurant, I've always enjoyed their food and selection. They take the opportunity to keep their menu fresh with occasional changes and of course seasonal and short term specials. The ingredients are as important as the recipes too, with fresh and locally sourced always being a big part of each dish. Not only do they look for a strong wine menu, but also excellent choices for beer and cocktails (with some Fat Cow original cocktails!) for those that have that preference.Special Features:
- Overall, excellent dinner for 6!VancouverFoodieDined on 11/8/2014We very much enjoyed our evening, live music and great atmosphere. We started with the oysters. The shucking was a little rough, several were gritty with bits of shell, but the presentation and quality of the oysters was very good. Mains-2 had the Cioppino (the clear winner)---amazingly tasty and a huge portion--the sausage and seafood was perfectly cooked, and delicious. Chicken and waffles were excellent, and the lobster mac and cheese was so good, we ordered an extra for the table! The crab burger was average--it was not crispy on the outside, a bit limp and lacking in flavour. The pork 3 ways was lacklustre, the cherry sauce was good, but could not make up for a 1 note, overcooked pork portion, the veg was perfect though!Special Features:
- Unique Hidden GemBeanDined on 10/25/2014I've been here two times and both times the food and service has been great. They have local musicians on Saturday nights that add to the unique atmospher. Great for a dinner out for two or for a large group. We had a party of 8 and our service and food was just as great as when we had a smaller table of 3. The Fat Cow and Oyster bar is all local food, drinks with fantastic 5 * quality and taste.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AuCanadaDined on 10/21/2014As a switch from another well known resto....I took Vancouver guests to this wonderful spot. We had the BEST dinner with great service and the quality of food was outstanding. We wondered about Fried Chicken on Waffle --- it was amazing. The Mac/Cheese with Lobster - well - I really didn't want to share... :) Service was pleasant and not terribly quick - which allowed for some great conversations in a comfortable, relaxed setting. Great pic! I know that my guests (I'm from Toronto) will most certainly head back for second helpings of great food!Special Features:
- Very nice experienceLongtimelangleyresidentDined on 10/17/2014Tried the FatCow and Oyster bar for the first time last night. A couple of friends in town for a visit and we are long time Seafood fans having traveled to the East Coast together. Our experience was great. The service was just right, the food was very delicious and passed our test for good seafood. Will recommend to family and friends but grudgingly as would like to keep it secret for me alone. Ha ha!Special Features:
- Hidden GemJmoeDined on 10/16/2014Hidden away in the industrial part of Langley this was a surprisingly great dining experience. A little pricy but worth it. Food was great. Beer selection abundant. It was all in all a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!AnxioustotryDined on 10/10/2014Not our first time, and certainly won't be our last. Meals were all very good. The food was great, our server was attentive and friendly, and we enjoy the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great live music!FoodfanDined on 10/4/2014My sisters and I found 'the fat cow and oysterbar' online. When we arrived there was great live music playing and the staff were very friendly! All three of us loved our dinner. We will definatley be going again :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome find.NicoleDined on 10/3/2014Awesome place for foodies in Langley. We got the chowder and it was amazing. My husband got the duck Sammie and he enjoyed it. I got the mussels and they were amazing. Largest mussels I have ever had. The live music was really good also. The singer had a really good voice and the volume level was perfect, we could still converse normally.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fat cow reviewcowduckDined on 10/2/2014Really nice food and ambiance. We will be back. Would have been nice to have sour cream with the potatoes, or even just a choice of sides with the burger meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as Good as BeforeDiningAgentDined on 9/27/2014New "casual" menu (eg Mac & Cheese?! ) Food selection not living up to original standard and dining experience. Muscles with broth & had to pay for bread! Would consider going for lunch but not again for dinner. Live music is nice touch but no need for amplification in such a small room...Much too loud to have a conversation.Special Features:
- Just Ok.UnhappyDinerDined on 9/27/2014I was sadly disappointed with our dining experience. From what I read and from such an exciting menu, the bar was set pretty high. Although we did enjoy our appetizers (crab cakes and beet salad), the oysters seemed just a bit gritty. The pork tenderloin was dry (over-cooked) and the sturgeon was bland. We didn't bother with dessert. We also waited an hour between our appetizers and our mains.
- Surprisingly exceeded expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/14/2014Although we were hesitant to visit this restaurant due to some harsh reviews, the quality of food for the price was exceptional. Service staff did their jobs very professionally, although I wouldn't say they were overly friendly. The food was brilliant- a wonderful find - eclectic and interesting. We definitely felt we got our money's worth!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great hidden spot!AnxioustotryDined on 9/7/2014We've been a good half dozen times, and never disappointed. The specials change regularly, and every time we've had a special, well worth the gamble!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing servicewineanddineDined on 9/5/2014We went to the Fat cow last Friday for our anniversary dinner. It was amazing, the service was the best I've had in a long time. All the servers were working together and were very attentive. Food was amazing. We will definitely be going back!!Special Features:
- Not badMike76Dined on 9/5/2014Not disappointed we went, but nothing unique or notable to mention. Very nice and attentive service staff. Food was fine. There are many great dinning options in the area, and I am not likely spend time or money there again.
- Serice with a brain?happytimesDined on 8/23/2014Waitress did not know her menu or products offered. We were stuck in a corner with a table that was off balanced, had to ask for a drink menu. We had to flag her down to give her our order while she continually flung back her long flowing hair all over the place. When the food arrived only 3 of us got our meals and when my brother asked where his was she said "We are working on that" When we were almost finished our meals my brother again asked where his dinner was and she said " we are working on that" eventually she said they ran out of chicken and his dinner would be another 5 minutes so he cancelled his dinner. They also did not have cooked oysters on this SATURDAY night at a oyster bar. We asked to speak to manager but unavailable.
- Very PleasedFoodRadarDined on 8/16/2014I must admit that I had tried Fat Cow before and didn't have a very good experience. We decided to try them again and I am so happy that we did. If we had not of gone back we wouldn't have realized how great Fat Cow could be. The service was nicely paced. The food is incredible. The portions are well sized and definitely good value. We had the special which was a steak with Hollandaise and I have never had Hollandaise this good. Steak was perfectly cooked and delicious .Ingredients are excellent quality. The soup was loaded and the crab on the steak actually came in nice sized pieces. Also; give the goat cheese cheesecake a try. Much better than normal cheesecake: lighter. Huge selection of beers. I would say; give Fat Cow a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd visit, service not as goodAtasteforchangeDined on 8/14/2014Took our parents, they had a hard time picking a meal from the menu. My husbands side order of lobster Mac n cheese arrived as an appy before his meal. However the pork jowels appy I ordered to share with the table didn't arrived until my chicken n waffle and the rest of the tables meals had been delivered. Did I mention the meal arrived an hour after ordering. As a thank you dinner out it was long and expensive. I don't think our parents will ever try the place again. Myself it seemed as if the table of 4 order was to complex to arrive in an orderly fashion. So would only go as a couple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Fantastic food and great service, the best meal I've had in quite some time.Special Features:
- OystersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014They are as good as any in the lower mainland. And better than many top restaurants in vancouver. Great live entertainment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great variety!BeachGirl62Dined on 8/9/2014Really enjoyed looking at this menu. If you are a fan of oysters, mussels, or clams, they have some very appealing ideas. We all loved the lobster Mac 'n Cheese and the Duck Poutine. My friends had the Sibling Seafood bucket and were enthralled with the flavour and tenderness of the seafood. I ordered the Pork x3 with the most tender and delicious gnocchi. Hubby had the crab cake burger, also great. We will be back again for more deliciousness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemlovevcrbcDined on 8/6/2014Well worth searching for. A hidden gem in Langley that was a little hard to find in a strip mall. Could use signage on the main street...Menu, food, service and ambiance were first class. It's bound to become one of our new favorites when in the mood for seafood and blues tunes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really great food.YummyDined on 8/5/2014We went for my birthday and the food and drink we're excellent. Nice walk from our place. The service was slow, but that seemed to be because they were short-staffed. I imagine that will be rectified soon. Really worth giving them a try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lyn-Nell and BrianmonkandmeDined on 8/1/2014we went here to celebrate our 28th anniversary and we wanted to enjoy a different dining experience. Our friends recommended this place to us and since we both LOVE seafood we decided to come here. Let me tell you the food was amazing!!! we shared a wonderful quinoa salad and then we shared a dish of roasted asparagus our main course was wow out of this world, we shared a dish called the sibling and it had all of our favorite seafoods as well as chirozo sausage and corn and roasted potatoes, unbelievable !!! We even had room for a wonderful desert. We were blown away by the great service and fabulous menu. we will definitely be back to try some more of your great food because it was so hard to decide what to eat.Special Features:
- The following 184 reviews are from the The Fat Cow and Oyster Bar reviews archive.
- Hidden PearlphesterDined on 7/26/2014Food at this hideway is excellent, compared to anywhere downtown or in the Valley. You will not go wrong choosing any of the soups (but go for the bacony Manhattan Chowder) or the mussels and clams. Sauces and seasonings are unique, as are a few cocktails. Chef and his helper are a blur of efficient prep with both great looking and tasting. Ambiance is loud so not a quiet date place, table layout is a bit congested too. The night we were there they were having some service issues, missed orders, delayed food. Not catastrophic but both server and owner genuinely tried to make things right and comped some drinks and entrees. We will be back and suggest you give them a try as well rather than driving into Vancouver for excellent seafood.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014The menus were stained. Smaller menus also would be better No steak knife with steak had to ask. Also no condiments on table. Service a little slowSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Double date night WINShannonDined on 7/12/20142 couples booked a night out with kids at home. We had read all the reviews and scoured the menu and the reality of the dinner exceeded our expectations (which were high to start). The service was attentive but relaxed and the dining pace was perfect, not rushed. The food was great, and it was a fabulous departure from the plethora of chain restaurants in the Valley. We will be coming again, we will make a night of oysters and Old Fashioneds.Special Features:
- Flavorful Food!foodie51Dined on 7/4/2014First time at this eatery- decor is nice although our reserved table was right in front of the kitchen doors, so we asked for another table, and were moved, no problem. Service is attentive but slow, so order your appie and main at the same time so there is not so much of a stretch between the two courses. We tried the Sasquatch oyster and the corn bread- both delicious. Flat iron steak was cooked to order with perfectly cooked asparagus, and the pork tenderloin dish is divine! For those of you with a sweet tooth, don't expect dessert- there is none on the menu and none was offered... not a big deal for those of us who are full after the main... overall, a good first impression.Special Features:
- Best Kept SecretOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/4/2014We tried this place out after a friend saw the chef on the local morning news. The food is fantastic; they have live music on Friday and Saturday night. Our first visit here the music wasn't great but music is often hit and miss and I wouldn't let that deter me from dining here again. The service was good, friendly, knowledgeable about the menu. Would definitely recommend it.Special Features:
- Great eatsLovingLangleydiningDined on 7/2/2014So glad that we found this place, any one who loves seafood should definitely go here! The menu is unique, the servers are wonderful & the food is FABULOUS!! Great wine selection, good atmosphere - all in all, it was a very enjoyable evening & I can't wait to go again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/28/2014Great live music on Saturdays. Presentation of food was nice. Service a little slow.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!foodiesintrainingDined on 6/28/2014We always have a great time when we go to the Fat Cow & Oyster Bar. The food is delicious and perfect for sharing so you can try more of what they have to offer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Menu, Beer/wine list!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/28/2014Busy, vibrant little spot! Chef was on TV earlier that day which I'm sure whetted everyone's appetite for Mac n' Cheese with Lobster! I ordered the Mussels in lemongrass with fries, my wife had the Fish of the Day (Snapper) Both meals were adequate proportionally and tasty. We would go again, perhaps on a day when there is no entertainer (he was good, but small crowded venue added to Vibrancy of the smaller space), we will go again, possibly a Brunch scenario:) ps.... loved the fact that all ingredients are sourced 'Locally!'Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014My only negative was that it took a very long time for our food to come and the restaurant was not very busy either when we ordered our food. It was very delicious when we got it though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.