The Farmhouse - Kansas City
300 Delaware St.
Kansas City, MO 64105Neighborhood:
Downtown / River Market
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Farmhouse - Kansas City
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.eatatthefarmhouse.com/
- Phone: 8165696032x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday-Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Wednesday & Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Happy Hour: Wednesday-Saturday at the Lounge:3-6
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, French American
- Executive Chef: Michael Foust
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Would you like to have an event catered? Contact Season for more information at 816-569-6032 or via email at Season@EatAtTheFarmhouse.com
- Entertainment: Live music every Thursday night.
- Special Events: http://www.eatatthefarmhouse.com/?page_id=34
- Cross Street: 3rd & Delaware St.
- Public Transit: Walking distance from:
MAX & 142 (3rd at Grand)
101 (Delaware & Independence)
106 (Wyandotte & Independence)
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Public parking is available in limited amounts on the front of the building, as well as street side. Public parking lot located behind building.
A word from The Farmhouse - Kansas City
The Farmhouse is a Farm-to-Table, Tip-to-Tail, Home-style restaurant in the Kansas City River Market area. Located at the corner of 3rd and Delaware, we feature a style of food and a dining experience unlike anyone else in Kansas City.Continued
Great for family dinners, first dates, classic cocktails, private dining, live music, large parties, private parties, off-site events, weddings.
Great for family dinners, first dates, classic cocktails, private dining, live music, large parties, private parties, off-site events, weddings.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
The Farmhouse - Kansas City - Best Restaurants in Downtown / River Market ›
The Farmhouse - Kansas City reviews from OpenTable diners
148 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (89)fit for foodies (84)great for brunch (65)great for outdoor dining (53)great for lunch (45)special occasion (44)good for groups (37)romantic (21)hot spot (14)vibrant bar scene (10)scenic view (10)notable wine list (9)kid-friendly (7)late-night find (5)Show More
- Second time here.DougVIPDined on 9/13/2014This restaurant really promotes its farm to table concept by listing all its suppliers on a chalkboard. On another chalkboard is the specials for the day. I had the jambalya on the special menu. Not for the faint of heart. Spicy! My wife had the fried chicken with kale and watermelon. These entrees were preceded by two very good salad. This is the second time we have been at this restaurant and have enjoyed it both times however each time there seemed to be very few other diners. Granted it was a Saturday night, late. Hopefully they see more of a crowd for lunch and weeknights. We recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014I had been to the FarmHouse many times in the past. It was like I was at a different restaurant this time. I had the short ribs. They were so fatty that they looked unappealing. They tasted that way too. My companion had the scallops and thought they were tougher than they should have been. The waiter who delivered our salads (he was not the waiter for the rest of the meal) stood at our table with two salads and rather indifferently said I have no idea which salad is which. I had to tell him to put them on the table and we'd figure it out. Our waitress knew I was completely disatisfied with my dinner. She did offer complimentary coffee which I declined.
- DisappointingAndreaBDined on 9/13/2014The presentation of the pork chop was most inviting. The meat, however, was mostly fat (at least two-thirds).
- LOVE this restaurantkcfoodieDined on 9/6/2014Every time that I have been to the Farmhouse, I have had a great experience. Any friend I have taken has been glad to go, and says that they too will take friends and family to eat there. The food is exceptional, the prices are reasonable for the food, and the wait staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Good but not greattablefor4Dined on 9/6/2014This visit to The Farmhouse was not as satisfying as the first few times. We were disappointed that the catch of the day was scallops and there were no other seafood choices, as we all like to enjoy a nice white fish or salmon when dining out. We ordered an appetizer expecting to get a plate of meats and cheeses, and we got a pate with mustard sauce instead. On the bright side, the salads were delicious and beautifully presented. The entrees were good, not great. Desserts good... would recommend the apple pie a la mode. French-press coffee (we enjoyed two pots!) was sublime and always a treat. The tab was a bit of a shock, although we did enjoy cocktails and wine. Dinner for four came to $250, so with tip it was $300.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DianadcwfoodieDined on 9/4/2014We came because there was live music and they serve local food. Both were wonderful. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Less than expectedGregDined on 8/31/2014Service was slow and unfriendly. Waited 20 minutes to make drink order. Wait staff in attentive to our table while very attentive to neighboring tables.Special Features:
- Doesn't get any better than this!JimandVickiVIPDined on 8/30/2014Food, atmosphere and service are beyond the best anywhere around. Fried chicken to die for and a host of great appetizers make this a gem of the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special EventNorthernFoodieDined on 8/30/2014After months of my sister telling me we finally got to go and meet up with some family and friends. From the appetizers to the desserts...the wait staff were all spot on with recommendations. HIGHLY recommend the Rabbit Rangoon - very very addictive! The noise level did make it a little harder to hear everybody at our table but it was apparent we were not the only ones having a good time. Will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014I easily made a reservation online, immediately received email confirmation, and even received a confirmation phone call the day before. The hostess and waitress were attending, and professional with a positive attitude. Overall my family had a great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely HorribleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014Worst start to what was supposed to be a night of celebration. We arrived promptly at 7:30 for our reservation,the restaurant was not busy at all, maybe 5 or 6 tables. We sat at our table for 13 minutes without being greeted or anything from any waiter or host or anyone. We finally got up and walked out after more than 10 minutes had passed. What really annoyed me what there was 2 waitresses' and 1 waiter that walked past our table without any notion made towards us. I made eye contact with all three of them. No one could even come by and give us some water and tell us it would be just a moment. Not one person came by our table the entire 13 minutes we sat there. So we left. I will never return and will never recommend to anyone.
- BevRedBevRedDined on 8/26/2014The servers are very attentive and the food selection is very creative and good. We tried the rabbit Rangoon and everybody raved about it. I also like the atmosphere of comfortable and casual yet I can have a business lunch in dress attire. We wanted to eat outdoors but construction noise prohibited us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!AmandaDined on 8/24/2014We had a great time with only two exceptions - there were tons of flies on the patio (not that you can really do much about that) and the new cocktails were sold out. Otherwise, everything was fantastic.Special Features:
- Sweet and SaltySuppleBeingDined on 8/22/2014I will keep it short and to the point. The food was extremely salty, like everything. The place as a whole was "sweet," really cool vibe and you know where your food comes from. However, it was over salted. The drinks were good but this could be why I drank so much.Special Features:
- EntertainmentBeefeaterDined on 8/21/2014The live music was WAY TOO LOUD for the size of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Always great at farmhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Love that they use local farmers! The menu is friendly to all types of diets from gf to paleo. The wait staff is very friendly and accommodating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- becoming less and less special....OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/20/2014Ive been to The Farmhouse many times. In the beginning, it was fresh and interesting. The food and service was warm and inviting, and I looked forward to returning. But over the last two years or so, it has become mediocre at best. Not bad, but not good.... Sadly, I won't recommend or return to this restaurant in the future.
- FarmhouseFoodizmeDined on 8/17/2014There were nice entrees.. the entree Salads are smaller than they should be for the price. The breakfast burger was great. nice atmosphere, nice music on a SundaySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful but...AerothugDined on 8/16/2014I've been going to the Farmhouse for years. The food ALWAYS is noteworthy and memorable. I've been disappointed by the service but on Saturday evening, the food and service was perfect. I give it a low score on ambience because the noise robs from the pleasure. As one table gets 'energetic' others must strive to be heard and by 8pm Sat evening, the energy was robbing from my pleasure with my partner. I told her that I hope that we're never the loudest group in a restaurant. Truly, a wonderful experience. I wish that I could suggest a way to manage the noise without turning off the clientele.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little overpricedBSCoupleDined on 8/16/2014My wife got farmhouse salad and dried chicken. Said the salad was the best she has ever had and raved about it repeatedly. Said she would never order the chicken again. Looked over cooked and she confirmed that it was. I got spinach salad and the hanger steak with fries. Salad was ok. Hanger steak was perfect. Fries were fresh cut in house and just ok. Ketchup was house made and not very good. Two salads, two drinks, two entrees, and tip cost us $100. Way too much for what it was.
- Great BrunchFierceKittiDined on 8/16/2014This was my first visit to The Farmhouse and it will not be the last! I had a reservation @ 10:15 but it looked like you could walk in and still get a table without too much of a wait. The menu does change often because of their use of local ingredients but there was plenty of different dishes to choose from. The food was delicious, the portions were generous and the price was right! The only thing I would change is our waiter took a hot minute to come back around to take our order. This could be because when he first asked we hadn't even looked at the menu and he was giving us plenty of time to decide. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Excellent all aroundrustyshakleford88Dined on 8/10/2014All the farmers for all the ingredients are listed on a big board. Loved having my own French press when I ordered coffee. Food was excellent - everything was fresh, seasonal, and the pork sausage was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!ShRue55Dined on 8/6/2014I had the Prosciutto Wrapped Windhaven Farms Chicken Breast - with fried chicken liver, a deviled egg, grilled asparagus, creamy polenta, and a berry sauce. Every bite of it was delicious and each flavor complemented perfectly. My date had the Hanger and Fries - cooked medium rare with bleu cheese butter, salsa verde, and what tasted like a housemade ketchup. I had a bite of her Hanger steak with a smear of the bleu cheese butter and it was wonderful. We finished with dessert. One was a chocolate cake with ganache, the other was a sponge cake with lemon-pickled apples & a berry sauce. Both were exquisite. We both agreed we would keep it on our list of restaurants to go to when we want a special night out.Special Features:
- Excellent!sjc251Dined on 8/4/2014I looked online for a restaurant close to the Kansas City Airport to have lunch on my way there -- avoiding airport food! What a delight this was. Amazing local fresh food. I had peach macaroni & cheese and wished I could have taken the leftovers with me on the plane! Others in my group had real (!) fried chicken and a veggie sandwich. Easy to get on and off the freeway to hit this place. Excellent service as well.Special Features:
- Jesse is AMAZINGldayt64113Dined on 8/3/2014I am constantly on the hunt for a great brunch spot. Seeing how its been years since I have been to The Farmhouse I thought I would give it another try. From the very beginning Jesse, our amazing server did not make us feel rushed. The boyfriend and I both got a breakfast cocktails that were fantastic and the biscuits tasted like grandma made them. We loved it all. Jesse and the biscuits are two huge assets to The Farmhouse. Thank you all for a great experience and we can't wait to be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some dishes are great -LouiseVIPDined on 8/2/2014This was our third visit to The Farmhouse, and my husband's hanger steak was exceptional, as were the fries! The rum cake dessert is also delicious! I had the chicken breast and was very disappointed and barely ate half of it. They were out of the special salad, so we got the fried green tomatoes appetizer instead - unfortunately, they arrived with our meal. Our server was new and didn't know the answer to even the most basic question, so I would suggest that they provide more training before putting a new employee out on their own.Special Features:
- Get the carrot cake!DinnerClubCouplesDined on 8/1/2014Loved the variety of farm fresh-to-table entrees! Not a big selection of draft beers, and what we got was not very cold. But the available bottled beers list was huge and had some favorites. The watermelon, tomato and mozzarella salad starter was a unique blend and so flavorful. Our entire party enjoyed the cheese tray appetizer. The Hanger aged steak entree was tender, delicious and cooked perfectly. Finished up with the fabulous carrot cake dessert, which is reason alone to go back for if I needed one! Looking forward to trying out their lunch menu soon. Most importantly, thanks Farmhouse for bringing the importance of local farm support to the dining-out experience!Special Features:
- Rude hostessKatenoteDined on 8/1/2014Hostess was rude. She was in the middle of separating out the menus and kept at her task until she was finished, then she went to find us a table. We felt like we were an interruption. That alone will keep me from coming back even though the waitress was wonderful and the food was delicious. I had a noon reservation and updated to 12:30 when I realized I couldn't make it on time. Perhaps she didn't get my update and thought I was late? They need to replace her. We ate at several Kansas City restaurants over our 3 day visit and she was the rudest person we met.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice environmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/29/2014Very good seasonal food prepared well - always a sure betSpecial Features:
- Get thee to the Farmhouse!NikkiVIPDined on 7/26/2014Great place for a datenight. I love the atmosphere.....a little loud, but it wasn't too bad. More happy/boisterous than annoying. The food was A-MAZING. Every last bit.Special Features:
- A Kansas City BestJimandVickiVIPDined on 7/26/2014Had never been to this River Market gem but what we have been missing! From cocktails to peach bread pudding the meal was flawless! Get the fried green tomatoes and beet salad which are untouchable to anywhere else. And if you like fried chicken it doesn't get any better than this! 3 huge pieces over a slice of melon dressed with kale! WoW! Short ribs beyond compare and finish it off with the peach bread pudding and French press coffee and you have cleared your bucket list! Will keep going back since there was such a great feeling in such a historic area!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love FarmhouseOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/26/2014This is one of my all time favorite places in KC! The good is ALWAYS good, I've never had a bad meal. I love coming for brunch on Saturdays, they always have solid options. Dinner is also delicious, the hanger steak and short ribs are to die for! You can't go wrong with any of their cocktails either, greyhound with brunch and a shady lady with dinner is the way I like to go! I would recommend making a reservation before you go, it can get crowded!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food fabulous, service poorOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014The food is fabulous but the customer service is seriously lacking at the Farmhouse. It is the second time I have visited the restaurant. The women's bathroom was filthy and when I notified the young man at the front desk he acted liked he could care less. This same young man was walking through the restaurant and we asked him if we could get an extra coffee cup. Our server could not be found. He promptly told us he did not wait on tables and walked off.Special Features:
- Birthday celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/24/2014Our waitress was wonderful! We started off with the cheese platter appetizer. When asked how we liked it, we told her we didn't like one of the cheeses, so she brought out another choice! Throughout our entire dining experience, we were bothered by several flies. In fact, I killed at least 6 that were hovering around our table. We were told it could have been from having the patio open, however, she also stated the restaurant sets traps for them nightly. She offered to move us to another table, but we declined as we were not guaranteed the flies would not be at another table. The food was wonderfully prepared. We received a free rum cake dessert as we were celebrating my birthday. It was excellent, however, we will not be back.
- Get your ReservationsHillerinoVIPDined on 7/20/2014So glad we had a reservation as the restaurant turned away walk-ins. Food was great! Get the eggs benedict or the french toast. Decor was very nice with its exposed brick walls. Our waitress was very accommodating and made sure everything was good for us. The Farmhouse was the perfect place for a great brunch after shopping at the City Market, but make sure you have a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedRak19Dined on 7/19/2014My husband and I like Farmhouse. In the past we have celebrated our birthdays and anniversary. This weekend our good friend wanted to take us out for dinner to celebrate my husband's birthday. My husband gladly chose to go to the Farmhouse. But we were seated near the bar and did not have a good time because it was so loud that we couldn't even hear each other. The loud noise is not energetic at all. I was really looking forward to have a nice time with our friend (who we don't see often) and celebrate my husband's birthday but we ended up feeling annoyed with the noise. I really wanted to leave before we order but decided to stay for my husband and our friend. It will take me some time to want to go back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative, fresh dishes!ChristineVIPDined on 7/19/2014This was our second visit to The Farmhouse. The food is fantastic - really, some of the best I've ever had - both times! Everything is locally grown, and the dishes are fun and flavorful. Try the cocktails, too, they are made with fresh juices and are also creative. Delicious! The service this time was wonderful. I am telling everyone I know to try this place!Special Features:
- Food not worth the poor service!!!imagnpc2Dined on 7/19/2014When I made the reservation I specifically requested a high chair as there were 6 adults and 1 baby. When we got seated I again asked for a high chair. I was told to ask the server so I would get it quicker. I'm not sure what that meant, but I asked the server as soon as she came over for drink orders. When she came back with drinks I asked again. When she came back to take food oders I asked again. We never got the high chair. Instead, the adults took turns holding the baby so his parents could eat their food. On top of never getting the high chair, we were never checked on; drinks went unfilled and the possibility of us ordering more food or drinks went away. The sad part is that the food was pretty good; but not worth the poor service.
- Great food, but review your bill!SandraBDined on 7/19/2014I went Saturday morning, had reservations and sat outside. I ordered an Irish coffee and Italian hash, my friend had an Irish coffee and corned beef hash. The food was excellent! I received my bill and it totaled $110! I went inside the restaurant and told them the food was good, but not that good! The gave me a new bill, and it included my friend's Irish coffee, which she had already paid for. They then corrected that bill, and gave me a small discount for my inconvenience. I looked at my bank account online, and have two pending amounts to the Farmhouse, one for my bill, and one for twice my bill. I'm hoping this pending amount goes away, otherwise I'm going to have to try to get my money back. I would pay my next bill with cashSpecial Features:
- big disappointment...kscronyDined on 7/19/2014Had tried to get reservations here several times but always full so was really excited to finally get in!...met our daughter and son-in-law for Saturday morning breakfast..seating on outdoor patio was nice..food was OK but the service was just awful...waitstaff may have been overwhelmed..I am always cautious to blame them for ALL the poor service, but I ordered toast with my omelet that NEVER came after initial order and THREE reminders to the server! Our bill was wrong..had items on it that we did NOT order PLUS the toast that was never received. Maybe this is how it always is handled but instead of crediting our card they gave us cash back so it WAS rectified..We erred in not examining the bill better before it was ran..Will not return!Special Features: