The Farmhouse Bistro at People's Light
39 Conestoga Rd.
Malvern, PA 19355Neighborhood:
Contemporary French / AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Farmhouse Bistro at People's Light
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thefarmhousebistro.com/
- Phone: 6106478060x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Tuesday: CLOSED
Wednesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Sunday Dinner: 5:00pm- 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American
- Executive Chef: Joe Maguire
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: The restored 18th century farmhouse boasts a newly renovated ballroom. With a private tented terrace and spacious landscaped surroundings, it offers the perfect setting for any occasion from 20 to 200 guests. Smaller, more intimate celebrations of 10 to 25 are also elegantly executed in the adjacent Farmhouse Bistro.
- Private Party Facilities: Set among award-winning perennial English gardens of People's Light & Theatre Company, The Farmhouse is a premier venue in Chester County. The restored 18th century farmhouse boasts a newly renovated ballroom. With a private tented terrace and spacious landscaped surroundings, it offers the perfect setting for any occasion. Smaller, more intimate celebrations are elegantly executed in the adjacent Farmhouse Bistro.
- Private Party Contact: Spencer Brennen 6106471631x156
- Entertainment: The Farmhouse Bistro is part of People's Light & Theatre Company, a professional, non-profit theatre that produces 7-9 plays each season. Enjoy a delicious dinner before seeing a stellar production on one of two stages on the People's Light campus. For more information about the theatre, visit PeoplesLight.org.
- Special Events: The Farmhouse and Bistro offer a complete package for your special event. Menus are executed by our in-house chef and parties of any size (up to 200) are easily accommodated. Event types include weddings, rehearsals, corporate meetings and celebrations, milestone celebrations including birthdays, anniversaries, and graduations. Visit www.farmhousepeopleslight.com for more information or call 610.647.1631 x156.
- Cross Street: Lancaster Avenue
- Public Transit: Septa Bus Route 204-Lincoln Highway and Conestoga Rd. this stop is .3 miles from the Farmhouse and Bistro
Septa Regional Rail Paoli/Thorndale Line-Paoli Station. This stop is 2.6 miles east from the Farmhouse and Bistro on Lincoln Highway (Route 30)
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Ample free parking is available on the People's Light campus.
A word from The Farmhouse Bistro at People's Light
The Farmhouse Bistro offers a casual dining experience featuring seasonal country French classics created by Chef Joe Maguire. Choose from an array of tantalizing appetizers, freshly-prepared entrees, tempting desserts, and a sophisticated wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Farmhouse Bistro at People's Light reviews from OpenTable diners
17 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (7)fit for foodies (4)great for outdoor dining (4)neighborhood gem (4)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)romantic (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Great pre-show mealLikesToDineDined on 7/20/2014We arrived at the Bistro at 5:30. Curtain time was 7 at People's Light. This worked out very well, as we strolled back to the Steinbeck Stage just in time to take our seats. In keeping with the Bach at Leipzig show currently up, there was a prix fixe menu with offerings named after the characters in the play. We ordered one prix fixe meal and one additional starter and there was just a bit too much food for the two of us. The food was uniformly delicious and the house wine was just fine. Service was attentive, but not intrusive. The only suggestion I would make is some additions to the beer list, nodding in the direction of the craft beer explosion.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOccasionalcriticDined on 7/12/2014We found the dinner to be overpriced for the quality received. a) Nachos appetizer was basically black tortilla chips with a spicy shaked-on seasoning served with an overly creamy guacamole sauce. Underwhelming as we were hoping for something more typically Mexican-like. b) Strip steak entree tasted slightly off due to the unusual sauce (though the Portobello mushroom were a big redeeming factor), and the grilled asparagus tasted more burnt than grilled c) Peach cobbler dessert was another odd item, as the 'broth' was overly tart (but the ice cream was good) All in all, not a place we're probably going to try again. However, the server was outstanding and if I can remember his name will post that as he deserves the recognition.
- Farmhouse BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/9/2014Everything outstanding until a table of four women was seated and raised the noise level to unbearable! Staff should be trained to deal with such ill-mannered guests who ruin the dining experience for everyone else in the room!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My experiencejoeyDined on 6/8/2014It was a very satisfying experience -- need I say more?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming eatery/Attentive servicezenrodeoDined on 5/30/2014Lovely restaurant with diverse and appealing menu. Al fresco dining is a plus. No bar to speak of so not a place for drinks only. Food portions bigger than expected. Can be noisy when theater is active or private party being held. Service was terrific. Atmosphere is great for a celebratory dinner. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- shawbostDined on 5/22/2014perfect for meal with Peoples Light and Theater performance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- need to cook steaks betterdisappointedDined on 5/22/2014All 4 of our steaks were over done and the mashed potatoes were dry. If we had more time before showtime we would have returned the meals. We have eaten there several times before and enjoyed the food. This time it was a real disappointed. The couple at the next table also had a problem with their steaks but they had time to spend them back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much better than the reviewsOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 5/21/2014I booked a table here before seeing Woody Sez. Then checked the reviews on OT. Good news is: we were seated promptly. ceviche starter was great, seared scallops great. key lime pie excellent. Service was also good. For $35 for 3 courses, a good value as well. Glad I didn't let the negative reviews scare me off. Many are from people who went there for Mother's Day buffet. Maybe they had a bad day.
- The following 190 reviews are from the The Farmhouse Bistro at People's Light reviews archive.
- FoodMonicaVIPDined on 5/17/2014We have eaten here on multiple occasions and each time I go I consider not returning. This time I think that we will not. It is convenient for pre-show dining. Service is generally good. Seats are uncomfortable. This time I really wasn't happy with any of my food. Nor was my husband. Salads were overdressed and overseasoned with Dill. Filet was overcooked and under seasoned. Scallops were overcooked and their broth had an unusual taste. Most likely due to Kalamata olives, Which did not pair with the other vegetables with which they were cooked.
- ambience pleasant; food fairveg13Dined on 5/11/2014My husband and I came for my birthday late afternoon. I am a vegetarian and my husband a carnivore. His chicken marsala looked attractive, and he was satisfied. My pasta, for which I asked for extra vegetables was actually rather disappointing. The extra vegetables were green peas added to a olive oil, diced tomato, and light pesto topping. Peas are not what I would have predicted. While my husband had some lovely asparagus with his chicken, I had peas. How about some green peppers, kalamata olives, broccoli, or aspargus?! I should mention that I had also ordered roasted asparagus soup (which was over seasoned with something that masked the asparagus). I should have ordered the roasted veggie baguette.Special Features:
- Mothers Day BrunchDisappointedDined on 5/11/2014Very disappointed. Service was poor. Had to clear dirty dishes from table. Food was not replenished. Food trays were left empty we had to ask for trays to be replenished. Wait staff was allowed to eat from buffet before we left the dining area. Would never revisit or recommend .Special Features:
- Mother's Day brunchPmalvernDined on 5/11/2014Always a supporter of Peoples light theater, I had planned on hitting the restaurant before a show... Mother's Day brunch popped up... It was a little expensive, but why not.. Food that was there was good, but had to wait at times, no plates out, no glasses for beverages, didn't clear plates often.... I would hope that it was due to late seating... But I certainly did not get a discount...Special Features:
- Farmhouse BistroCarnivoreDined on 5/11/2014Good spot for Mother's Day Brunch. We sat outside in the front, however I think they should have had tables set up in the back, which was closer to the buffet and a more quiet location (away from main road). The brunch buffet food was very good. The service was a bit slow and it would have been better if the servers actually brought coffee or juice, given the buffet was further away, down two levels. Took several trips to get what you needed given there were doorways, etc to navigate and either the food got cold or coffee got cold as a result. Worth trying again when going to people's light theater.Special Features:
- DISAPPOINTEDOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/11/2014WE WENT THERE FOR MOTHERS DAY BRUNCH AND FROM THE START THE STAFF WAS VERY UNRESPONSIVE WHEN WE FIRST ARRIVED, WE HAD TO ASK FOR PLACE MATS FOR THE OUTSIDE TABLES AND DRINKS. I WOULD NOT GO BACK THERE.
- Poor Brunch ServicedinnermanDined on 5/11/2014I have not eaten at the Farmhouse Bistro for quite some time and thought I would give brunch a try. The food was quite tasty and the staff kept the buffet fully stocked. The ambiance was very quaint. However, the selection was somewhat limited for the costly $35 price. The service was atrocious. At one point our table of 4 had 10 empty dishes and 4 empty bowls plus water glasses that were not refilled. Only after my wife went and talked to manager did we get our glasses refilled and plates removed. And then we never saw a server after that. My daughter had to track down our waiter to ask for the check.
- Nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/9/2014The signature dish for this restaurant was the bouillabaisse. I thought it was unremarkable. Over salted with an overcooked lobster tail and a few shrimp and scallops swimming in a watery risotto. The place was extremely loud so conversation was at a minimum.Special Features:
- Food, service spottyNanCDined on 4/20/2014Food good and the Farmhouse is always a lovely place to dine. Had Easter brunch at 1:00, not terribly crowded. While our server was very pleasant, the service was minimal. We were never given an opportunity to order drinks/beverages. No bread came with the meal though there were bread plates on the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Easter BrunchBeanDined on 4/20/2014The Easter brunch was awesome and that was the first time we dined there. Service was impecble&the food was delicious. We will recommend and be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Pre-Show experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/16/2014We were given a gift certificate for the Bistro - and even though we have been subscribers to the theater for years, we had only been to the Bistro for after show dessert/drinks. We ordered from the Prix Fixe menu and were delighted with our choices. The Goat Cheese Tart was fantastic, and the desserts - flourless chocolate cake and key lime pie really good. Frank was attentive to our needs. He is a gem. It was particularly nice that the took care of our ticket exchange at our table saving time standing in line at the theater. The room was a bit "stiff" and stark, not particularly comfortable, and a bit chilly, however, we'll be back again, and may try the brunch next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frank is greatLuvServiceDined on 4/9/2014We go to the Bistro for two reasons. First is that we know Frank and we know that the service will be outstanding. He is such a kind, attentive individual that we go just to enjoy his service. Second is the close proximity to People's Light and Theatre. We don't have to move the car after dinner. But if Frank wasn't there, we would go somewhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lamb stew was fantastic!misssashaDined on 4/3/2014Prior to seeing Dear Elizabeth, we dined at the Farmhouse Bistro and selected the Prix Fixe menu. It is a really great deal. I enjoyed a delicious goat cheese tart, hearty lamb stew, and the chocolate torte. We dine here quite frequently, and this may be the best meal so far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only for the LeisurelytfortwoDined on 3/30/2014Reservation for 5:30, not seated until 5:45. Ten minutes more before we saw wait staff. Soup was barely warm. Wine tasted like vinegar. This restaurant caters to persons attending the People's Light theatre and should have sufficient staff on hand. In the past 1 1/2 hours before curtain time was sufficient to have an enjoyable dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waitress was friendly butSloMoDined on 3/30/2014Waitress was friendly but the service was slow. Possibly under staffed.
- Very poor service <1 starRilkeVIPDined on 3/27/2014After initial seating and order our server did not return for 22 minutes. We needed to ask another server to refill water, she never put in our drink order and stated that she was busy with other tables when asked. Other staff served us until she presented the bill before desert was served when we request to box our desert because the show was starting. We made out reservation within recommended time to eat and see the show but only receiving 2 of the pre-fix 3 courses. We love peoples light and have been season ticket holders but would not come to the restaurant again unless we were assured that there would be changes to the quality of service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- We had 7 in our party forMickeyDined on 3/23/2014We had 7 in our party for Sunday Brunch. A variety of dishes was ordered amongst our group and I believe that everyone was pleased with the food and the friendly service. We sat around chatting after our meal was finished and even though the restaurant was otherwise empty, we were not made to feel that we should leave. We enjoy the atmosphere at the Farmhouse Bistro. This was our first time having their Brunch. . In the Fall we had a lovely dinner and enjoyed the production of "The Devil's Music." We will returnSpecial Features:
- Great food, but very slow serviceBonmacDined on 3/21/2014My three friends and I ate here before a performance of Pride and Prejudice at People's Light and Theater Company in Malvern, Pa. I have eaten here three times before and everything went well. But this time, the service was incredibly slow. We arrived promptly for a 6:30 reservation and did not get our orders taken for food until 7 p.m., after I flagged down the hostess and asked what the problem was. The food did not arrive until about 7:25, so we felt we had to eat in a rush to get to the performance at 8 p.m. So we sat there for nearly an hour before our food arrived. Hopefully, it was just a fluke. But if there had been a problem in the kitchen, etc., my friends and I thought our waiter should have explained the delay and apologized.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentDebbieDined on 3/21/2014The food was mediocre and the service was poor. Our plates were congealing by the time the waiter came to clear them. The appetizer plates were still sitting there when the entrees came out. We were never able to order a second drink. We frequent People's Light Theater so we thought it would be convenient to have dinner before the show. However we will go elsewhere next time.
- Good foodDancingDavidDined on 3/15/2014Limited selection of items especially the prix-fixe menu. Dessert was very good. Very small place, definitely needs reservations.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing to write home aboutLynnDined on 3/5/2014They have a prix fixe menu for $35. which, I'm sure makes it easier for them to manage the surge of theater goers that visit their restaurant when attending a play. There are 4 selections in each of 3 categories (appetize, entree and dessert). The French ONion Soup was a little weak although had plenty of cheese. The Chicken Marsala was good but the asparaguse was over cooked. Service was adequate. The most that this restauant has to offer is the proximity to the theater.
- If you are going to the theatre...BonApetitDined on 3/2/2014The restaurant is great if you are going to the People's Light Theatre next door. The food is good, the waitress was very attentive and time sensitive. Enjoyed brunch followed by the theatre! Fun Sunday afternoon venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DissapointingBrewerDined on 2/14/2014We went for our first time for Valentines day. The restaurant is nice. clean, well laid. Service was just ok, leaving time between visits and never checked on how the meal itself was cooked. The meal was disappointing. AT $50. limited menu, you would expect each dish to be stellar. It wasn't. the Braised Lamb shank was good and an excellent size, but the Surf and Turf was underwhelming. The meat was cooked appropriately but low on flavor, more crucial however was the lobster tail. Horrendously and inexcusably over cooked, it bounced as I tried to cut it. If our server had come back to the table at any point I certainly would have returned the lobster. We may go back but I doubt it. There are too many good options in the areaSpecial Features:
- For us, the Farmhouse is amarcoDined on 2/14/2014For us, the Farmhouse is a local venue for my wife and I to share a meal together. It is clean, quaint, quiet and well run. The quality of the meal varies...it is fair and could improve, The service is very good - attentive and pleasant.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall, a nice experienceAuroraDined on 2/2/2014Service was excellent and food was mostly good. We enjoyed the frittata as an appetizer. The chicken crepes were flavorful and the creamy sauce just right. The accompanying salad would have been better with a citrusy dressing, but came with a creamy one, a redundance. Water for tea came lukewarm to the table. If the teabag is not placed in the cup at the time of pouring truly hot water, the steeping process is compromised. Our waitress was very kind about taking the cup back and placing it, bag and all, in the microwave oven. Thank you for asking. Aurora Camacho de SchmidtSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very PleasedKeithDined on 2/1/2014We were very pleased with the Bistro--its style (an old farmhouse), its menu, the taste treats, the service. Everything. As a post-theater restaurant, it is ideal. With its unusual dishes, a cassoulet, trout, and a variety of other interesting taste treats, we will certainly look forward to going there again, especially in conjunction with the fine theater at People's Light. This is a gem that is worthy of our support to ensure it remains a viable destination and new institution. We thank them for their good work and a very satisfying dinner.Special Features:
- ChillyPLTgoerDined on 1/26/2014OK, it was a cold day, but you don't want to keep your coats on for brunch. Service slowish; staff conducted very audible personal conversations in hearing range. Food OK. Convenient for those going to a play
- Dinner before the panto.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/9/2014Our food was very tasty and nicely presented. Our waiter Frank was very professional, courteous, and friendly. One suggestion: I would like to see a few more vegetarian entrees available on the menu. Also, the bistro makes attending a play at the People's Light and Theatre company very convenient. Our tickets were waiting for us at the bistro, instead of the "Will Call" window; and Frank helped us to avoid the cold weather by personally leading us to the theatre through an indoor passage. Our experience at the bistro was a great prelude to the play itself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm and WelcomingTheBevDined on 1/4/2014Lovely spot to eat whether you are going to the show or just to have a nice dinner with friends. It was really lovely and accommodating!Special Features:
- the farmhouse bistrodbb130Dined on 12/27/2013This is a real find....next to the People's Light and Theater it was the perfect spot for lunch after a performance. We found the place to be lovely, old converted farmhouse. We were really the only table there after a matinee of Cinderella. Not sure why as the bistro appears to be child friendly. The menu is very interesting and diverse, from pate to hamburgers, with a children's menu as well. The service was great, food delicious and the view is perfect. I intend to return with my husband and enjoy the bistro without a play!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner and a showOeste2Dined on 12/21/2013We had tickets for the Christmas Panto and decided to make it extra special and have dinner, too. We had great service, tasty food, inviting ambiance and had a short walk to the theater in plenty of time to get seated. This has become our holiday tradition when our adult kids come home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyableIrishgirlDined on 12/21/2013I dine at the Farmhouse Bistro 3-5 times a year, and the overall experience is always enjoyable. Service is great and the food never disappoints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.