The Farmers Union
151 W. Santa Clara St
San Jose, CA 95113Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Farmers Union
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.thefarmersunion.com/
- Phone: 4082770545x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Beer Garden, Burgers, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Charles Crossley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the General Manager at (408)277.0545 or complete the event request form on our website.
- Entertainment: We feature over 20 televisions for your sports viewing pleasure, highlighted by our 200" High Definition projector.
- Special Events: Join us for Happy Hour daily from 3pm - 6pm (Bar Seating Only) for $5 draft beers and 15% off all draft wine plus food specials.
A word from The Farmers Union
The Farmers Union is a gastropub located in the heart of downtown San Jose. We boast a 60 tap draft system that features many craft beers, wine on tap, as well as root beer and cider. Our food menu has a large assortment of items with many of them prepared in our wood burning oven, charcoal grill and rotisserie.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Farmers Union reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (36)fit for foodies (27)vibrant bar scene (27)neighborhood gem (24)hot spot (19)special occasion (12)great for lunch (11)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (6)romantic (6)great for outdoor dining (3)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great addition to downtown SJilovefoodVIPDined on 10/22/2014Nice to have a place focused on the quality of the food and service. Most places downtown are bars with bar food and bad service. I've been twice - once before a Sharks game and again just a business dinner on a Wednesday night. Both times had great food, beer/cocktails, and service even with a Sharks game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved itflashDined on 10/20/2014They have a great craft beer selection. Restaurant week with a sweet price fix dinner. Nice booth.
- My new go to spot!JafadtDined on 10/17/2014Just amazing overall! This will be my go to spot and I recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pricey but niceyricktherulerDined on 10/17/2014This place was great food, lots of beer selections, fantastic cocktails (Manhattan). Kind of a trendy menu, but good nonetheless. Only however I would include is the price tag; not an inexpensive meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentRaeleenDined on 10/17/2014Food was great! Service was Fantastic!! Great Decor!! Great wine list! Dessert was Amazing! I wil be coming back aoon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Giant's Play offOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/16/2014During the game it was a bit noisy - needless to say. The Giant's won. Food, service, The Union Manhattan was very good!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Service and Bar Area.DiningCoupleDined on 10/16/2014The service was the best I've experienced in downtown San Jose. Host and waitress were prompt, respectful, and checked up on us frequently while refilling water and drinks. Lots of tv's around the bar showing sports but not too large screens to distract other guests sitting at tables. The bar is very spacious and perfect for eating and drinking while catching a sports game. Price is mid range but we had a pre fixe dinner with outstanding salad, pork ribs, and dessert for $25 during Silicon Valley Restaurant Week. It's a nice place to meet up with friends and family for a meal and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inexperience showingPTL15Dined on 10/16/2014I like this place: the décor and ambiance. I wish the service had completed the picture, but our waiter clearly lacked experience. Friendly enough, he was attentive when taking our order, but my entrée had NONE of what I had asked for with my burger order: salad, no fries; no onions; add mushrooms. He had written them down, so I thought, yet the tasty burger reflected none of it. I spoke up immediately about the salad, and the food runner quickly made the swap. But when the waiter checked back with us, he had not remembered any of it. Topping it off, the bill reflected the extra $2 for the mushrooms. After I pointed the error out, he apologized and corrected the bill. I'll come back for the brussel sprout salad but find a different waiter!Special Features:
- worthy...OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/5/2014not a bad joint near San Pedro Square...especially before a concert or hockey...Special Features:
- OK food, poor service, slooow barRobTVIPDined on 10/2/2014My wife and I went here for dinner before a show with 2 hours lead time. It took us 35 minutes to get our first round of cocktails and at that time, we had already finished our over-seasoned appetizers. We never received our second round of cocktails nor the wine we requested for when our meals arrived, so we cancelled them. Very disappointing. They have a great ambience/location and a clever menu, but poor execution.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014Need more servers and bartenders. Slow service. Just ok food
- Fitting but not a 10LibraEatsDined on 10/1/2014I enjoyed myself on my date at the Farmers Union. It was a Wednesday night and the Giants were playing. The hostess did a great job on table placement for a date. It was helpful to have a more intimate feel in the corner table next to the window. The food was delish (I had the heirloom tomatoe salad and he had the steak and fries) and we delved into your red wines plenty which made the evening completely golden for the lush experience. The only concern was that at the time the waitress would take out order or when she would come back to the table and check-in she was definitely yelling at us to ask her question. Although the table we were given was super cozy and perfect for our date taking orders was a whole different story.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!MissMiaVIPDined on 9/27/2014Love this place; great ambiance, gorgeous atmosphere. Food was delicious and the servers were very nice. Will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Great Food and StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014First time dinners at The Farmers Union. We were impressed by the food, very well prepared as per the menu. Good beer selection, I like unusual beers but also a very good wine selection, Bella Glos is one of our favorites. I was struck that various wait-staff attended to us. We had an excellent waiter, but if a water glass was low, it was topped off by someone roaming by on their way to another table. The staff management has got everyone workng together which is rare to see but delightful to experience. We will be back.Special Features:
- great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014was really good little slow getting drinks, but besides that food was great service was great, overall great dinning experanceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FARM CHICKokoDined on 9/26/2014The Farmers Union is located right in the heart of downtown San Jose at San Pedro Square. The décor and ambience is a modern and chic twist on rustic old west dining, which could also be said of the classic American fare done with flare. It is open and spacious, with plenty of space to get around, but if you prefer a more private setting, they do have private booths with curtains - very fun! It's an ideal spot for lunch or happy hour, definitely worth checking it out!Special Features:
- A nice neighborhood findOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/21/2014We tried out The Farmers Union after we found out the restaurant we were going to closed early. Their loss and our gain! We looked thru open table and found Farmers Union. Such a nice surprise, great service, excellent food and great ambiance. We started off with the mushroom cigars...um, yum! We both had burgers that were beyond excellent! Our waitress was a cutie pie and ver attentive without being disruptive. I will definetly go back to the Farmers Union!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Quick MealBaconBoy77VIPDined on 8/30/2014We decided to try The Farmers Union before a show downtown. This was a perfect pick. The food was overall very good - nothing to blow you away - but the portions were spot-on and nothing was heavy. The drinks were great and the service and serve times were great. We were in and out in about 45min and didn't feel rushed. Plus the cute private booths on the side are fun and keep the noise moderate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love the redesignASB318Dined on 8/22/2014It's much brighter inside compared to before. Order the burger or ribs! Terrific beer list of hard to find selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuscany Cowboy Sports BarDZRhinoDined on 8/20/2014Lots of tap craft beers, menu is sports bar, decor is very mixed. Whoever did the decor got a little mixed up on where they were. Italian tiles mixed with cowboy motif and sports bar flat panels . . . very confused. Service was great, beer was good, food was meh. We tried some of the small plates, one of the big salads, and fish/chips based on recommendations. All were either average or a little disappointing for the price. Go for the beer, not the food.Special Features:
- food mediocreDowntownWorkerDined on 8/18/2014The restaurant looks nice, the few staff we saw were friendly but not able to keep up with the downtown lunch rush. Although our small plate of smoked chicken wings was delicious, everything else was not good enough to finish eating, even though we were still hungry. The waiter got our orders wrong, brought us both the same thing: grilled cheese and tomato "soup." The grilled cheese needed more cheese, and the small bowl of spicy dipping broth did not qualify as an actual soup that would taste good enough to eat on its own. My companion ordered fettucine, but was given the grilled cheese instead. We found it difficult to get a waiter's attention to get the situation remedied.Special Features:
- DelishDined on 8/16/2014The service was thoughtful, and our server anticipated everything we may need. The food was spectacular, but the service was stellar. We will come back soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Interesting decor, great food, but pretty noisy. There seem to have been a lot of waiters dropping things while we were there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Beer ListOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/14/2014Lots of choices of beers, food was great and reasonable. would return for sure.Special Features:
- JefmelVIPDined on 8/11/2014The place was very crowded due to a concert. Service was on the slower side, but very pleasant and apologetic. Food was really good.
- What can I say? Fantastic food!CB2013Dined on 8/5/2014This place is amazing. We started off with a few appetizers (chesse fondue and asparagus). We moved onto the main course and ordered the ribs. OMG! They were tender and the sauce was uh-mazing! So so delicious. This was an great way to celebrate my birthday.Special Features:
- Good but needs attention to detailsanonymousVIPDined on 8/2/2014The Farmer's Union is in a vibrant part of downtown. The space has a nice vibe. There is indoor/outdoor seating with an energetic but not overwhelming ambiance. Anyone from young to family with small kids would feel comfortable here. Service was competent and the hostess and servers were talkative and fun. Good beer selection. We ordered a chopped lettuce salad that was hearty with a pleasing mix of textures. The dressing was perfect, light and not overly acidic. We also shared a half-rack of ribs that came with slaw and potato salad, all of which we enjoyed quite a bit. Off-putting details: a sour-dishrag/vaguely bleachy smell throughout, sticky tables, carpeting on stairs looks like it hasn't been vacuumed in weeks.Special Features:
- Tasty and InterestingBrewski20Dined on 7/22/2014I had grilled asparagus starter and salmon. The Asparagus had great seasoning and a spicy tomato sauce. Excellent. Salmon was slightly over done (I like it on the rare side). Served on a fricassee (who knew). It was delicious, and filling. The beer is off the deep end good. Lots of selections.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/17/2014This was my first visit to this restaurant and I can see myself becoming a regular! The beer list is impressive. We were there for happy hour and were very pleased with our small plate selections. The spicy shrimp were my favorite. I also enjoyed the fondue, crab cakes and chicken satay. I would definitely order all of them again. The prices can't be beat. My friend and I tried 4 different beers each and also shared 4 small plates. All items were $4. Keep in mind, these are not HUGE portions, but enough to fill you up while you enjoy some craft brews! I'm looking forward to trying the other menu items next time. The bar area is HUGE! Patrick (at the bar) took great care of us.Special Features:
- Thursday Business LunchTheGreatManginiDined on 7/17/2014My wife and I went here with friends during Shark's playoffs to watch a game. We had a great time sitting on one of the high tops and watching the game on the enourmous TV. I was curious to try it for a business lunch (I'm in sales). Took two guys from Cisco plus a guest from out of town (Israel). Everyone was extremely complimentary about the food, service. The huge selection of beers on tap made for good ice breaker, and everyone ended up having one with lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 82 reviews are from the The Farmers Union reviews archive.
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/1/2014The beer selection was extensive, which was the highlight. It took ten minutes to be acknowledged with water and then we had to flag down the busboy to send over a server. Restaurant unprepared for a pre-concert crowd. The salmon was missing the pea tendrils, the Mac & cheese was unseasoned, and paid $$$ for five stringy asparagus stalks. My friend's salmon steak was twice the size of mine. Inconsistent, flavorless food and slow service won't give me incentive to come back.Special Features:
- great food and decent servicedebbyDined on 6/23/2014Overall pretty good food and service. The waiter did a good job as to giving us suggestions on what to order. The restaurant is more of an upscale sports bar with very good food and an extensive beer menu. The only mishap was the dessert was brought out before my husband was done with his entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/17/2014Great beer selection. Definitely appeals more to men than women.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/16/2014The food and atmosphere was good. We had a group of eight for dinner. We ordered appetizers, received the appetizers then did not see the waiter again. We had to call him to take our dinner orders.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Changed interiorRSmithVIPDined on 6/16/2014First time I have been there since they added "booths" and went away from the Sports Bar theme to more of a dining establishment only. Hope it works for them, food is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!Ruthieann30VIPDined on 6/14/2014The Farmers Union has a great beer selection and lots of starters if you'd prefer to share or eat light.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so goodCLR39Dined on 6/13/2014I've been their for lunch and loved the grilled cheese and tomato soup. We went after work for dinner, and every time the server came to the table they were out of something - first the alcohol we wanted then the hot pretzel appetizer then the beer we wanted.... They pushed to get the hot pretzel appetizer for us and didn't charge us for it, but when we started to eat it, the pretzel was warm on the outside but frozen on the inside! The rest of the meal was fine, but I'm not sure I will go back. The server and the manager tried to make it right.
- Will come back, highly recomendPDXJohnVIPDined on 5/13/2014First time at Jamison. Food was fantastic. Ordered some small plates, plus dinner, everything was great to fantastic. Was able to sit outside and watch all the kids and families in the park. Inside is a beautiful space, service is outstanding. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Cold meatballs & lukewarm sproutsSoutherntastebudsDined on 5/11/2014Good atmosphere for an after work nosh and drink. Big screen TVs, blend of fare, and a broad drink selection. Was disappointed when we sat down to be welcomed by an unsmiling server. Disappointed again when my meatballs came out completely cold. Brussels sprouts were also cold. Seriously. They were served in iron containers and you'd think this was because they were heated. Wrong. Given those were the first two things that came out completely hurt the rest of an otherwise decent meal. The little gems salad was tasty with a good balance of crunch and dressing. The ribs were wonderfully fall off the bone and had a sweet and tangy sauce. Burgers were decent too, thought medium rare turned into medium well by the time it arrived.Special Features:
- HorribleLegends58Dined on 5/7/2014Food was greasy noise was loud service was ok at best when I made the reservation I noted it wast wife's birthday they didn't even acknowledge it. Won't recommend or ever go back