The Farmers Union
151 W. Santa Clara St
San Jose, CA 95113Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Farmers Union
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.thefarmersunion.com/
- Phone: 4082770545x
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Beer Garden, Burgers, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Charles Crossley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the General Manager at (408)277.0545 or complete the event request form on our website.
- Entertainment: We feature over 20 televisions for your sports viewing pleasure, highlighted by our 200" High Definition projector.
- Special Events: Join us for Happy Hour daily from 3pm - 6pm (Bar Seating Only) for $5 draft beers and 15% off all draft wine plus food specials.
A word from The Farmers Union
The Farmers Union is a gastropub located in the heart of downtown San Jose. We boast a 60 tap draft system that features many craft beers, wine on tap, as well as root beer and cider. Our food menu has a large assortment of items with many of them prepared in our wood burning oven, charcoal grill and rotisserie.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Farmers Union reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (27)vibrant bar scene (17)neighborhood gem (13)fit for foodies (11)hot spot (9)special occasion (7)great for lunch (7)kid-friendly (5)romantic (4)late-night find (4)great for outdoor dining (2)notable wine list (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- love the redesignASB318Dined on 8/22/2014It's much brighter inside compared to before. Order the burger or ribs! Terrific beer list of hard to find selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuscany Cowboy Sports BarDZRhinoDined on 8/20/2014Lots of tap craft beers, menu is sports bar, decor is very mixed. Whoever did the decor got a little mixed up on where they were. Italian tiles mixed with cowboy motif and sports bar flat panels . . . very confused. Service was great, beer was good, food was meh. We tried some of the small plates, one of the big salads, and fish/chips based on recommendations. All were either average or a little disappointing for the price. Go for the beer, not the food.Special Features:
- food mediocreDowntownWorkerDined on 8/18/2014The restaurant looks nice, the few staff we saw were friendly but not able to keep up with the downtown lunch rush. Although our small plate of smoked chicken wings was delicious, everything else was not good enough to finish eating, even though we were still hungry. The waiter got our orders wrong, brought us both the same thing: grilled cheese and tomato "soup." The grilled cheese needed more cheese, and the small bowl of spicy dipping broth did not qualify as an actual soup that would taste good enough to eat on its own. My companion ordered fettucine, but was given the grilled cheese instead. We found it difficult to get a waiter's attention to get the situation remedied.Special Features:
- DelishDined on 8/16/2014The service was thoughtful, and our server anticipated everything we may need. The food was spectacular, but the service was stellar. We will come back soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Interesting decor, great food, but pretty noisy. There seem to have been a lot of waiters dropping things while we were there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Beer ListOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/14/2014Lots of choices of beers, food was great and reasonable. would return for sure.Special Features:
- JefmelVIPDined on 8/11/2014The place was very crowded due to a concert. Service was on the slower side, but very pleasant and apologetic. Food was really good.
- What can I say? Fantastic food!CB2013Dined on 8/5/2014This place is amazing. We started off with a few appetizers (chesse fondue and asparagus). We moved onto the main course and ordered the ribs. OMG! They were tender and the sauce was uh-mazing! So so delicious. This was an great way to celebrate my birthday.Special Features:
- Good but needs attention to detailsanonymousVIPDined on 8/2/2014The Farmer's Union is in a vibrant part of downtown. The space has a nice vibe. There is indoor/outdoor seating with an energetic but not overwhelming ambiance. Anyone from young to family with small kids would feel comfortable here. Service was competent and the hostess and servers were talkative and fun. Good beer selection. We ordered a chopped lettuce salad that was hearty with a pleasing mix of textures. The dressing was perfect, light and not overly acidic. We also shared a half-rack of ribs that came with slaw and potato salad, all of which we enjoyed quite a bit. Off-putting details: a sour-dishrag/vaguely bleachy smell throughout, sticky tables, carpeting on stairs looks like it hasn't been vacuumed in weeks.Special Features:
- Tasty and InterestingBrewski20Dined on 7/22/2014I had grilled asparagus starter and salmon. The Asparagus had great seasoning and a spicy tomato sauce. Excellent. Salmon was slightly over done (I like it on the rare side). Served on a fricassee (who knew). It was delicious, and filling. The beer is off the deep end good. Lots of selections.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/17/2014This was my first visit to this restaurant and I can see myself becoming a regular! The beer list is impressive. We were there for happy hour and were very pleased with our small plate selections. The spicy shrimp were my favorite. I also enjoyed the fondue, crab cakes and chicken satay. I would definitely order all of them again. The prices can't be beat. My friend and I tried 4 different beers each and also shared 4 small plates. All items were $4. Keep in mind, these are not HUGE portions, but enough to fill you up while you enjoy some craft brews! I'm looking forward to trying the other menu items next time. The bar area is HUGE! Patrick (at the bar) took great care of us.Special Features:
- Thursday Business LunchTheGreatManginiDined on 7/17/2014My wife and I went here with friends during Shark's playoffs to watch a game. We had a great time sitting on one of the high tops and watching the game on the enourmous TV. I was curious to try it for a business lunch (I'm in sales). Took two guys from Cisco plus a guest from out of town (Israel). Everyone was extremely complimentary about the food, service. The huge selection of beers on tap made for good ice breaker, and everyone ended up having one with lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/1/2014The beer selection was extensive, which was the highlight. It took ten minutes to be acknowledged with water and then we had to flag down the busboy to send over a server. Restaurant unprepared for a pre-concert crowd. The salmon was missing the pea tendrils, the Mac & cheese was unseasoned, and paid $$$ for five stringy asparagus stalks. My friend's salmon steak was twice the size of mine. Inconsistent, flavorless food and slow service won't give me incentive to come back.Special Features:
- great food and decent servicedebbyDined on 6/23/2014Overall pretty good food and service. The waiter did a good job as to giving us suggestions on what to order. The restaurant is more of an upscale sports bar with very good food and an extensive beer menu. The only mishap was the dessert was brought out before my husband was done with his entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/17/2014Great beer selection. Definitely appeals more to men than women.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/16/2014The food and atmosphere was good. We had a group of eight for dinner. We ordered appetizers, received the appetizers then did not see the waiter again. We had to call him to take our dinner orders.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Changed interiorRSmithVIPDined on 6/16/2014First time I have been there since they added "booths" and went away from the Sports Bar theme to more of a dining establishment only. Hope it works for them, food is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!Ruthieann30VIPDined on 6/14/2014The Farmers Union has a great beer selection and lots of starters if you'd prefer to share or eat light.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not so goodCLR39Dined on 6/13/2014I've been their for lunch and loved the grilled cheese and tomato soup. We went after work for dinner, and every time the server came to the table they were out of something - first the alcohol we wanted then the hot pretzel appetizer then the beer we wanted.... They pushed to get the hot pretzel appetizer for us and didn't charge us for it, but when we started to eat it, the pretzel was warm on the outside but frozen on the inside! The rest of the meal was fine, but I'm not sure I will go back. The server and the manager tried to make it right.
- Will come back, highly recomendPDXJohnVIPDined on 5/13/2014First time at Jamison. Food was fantastic. Ordered some small plates, plus dinner, everything was great to fantastic. Was able to sit outside and watch all the kids and families in the park. Inside is a beautiful space, service is outstanding. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Cold meatballs & lukewarm sproutsSoutherntastebudsDined on 5/11/2014Good atmosphere for an after work nosh and drink. Big screen TVs, blend of fare, and a broad drink selection. Was disappointed when we sat down to be welcomed by an unsmiling server. Disappointed again when my meatballs came out completely cold. Brussels sprouts were also cold. Seriously. They were served in iron containers and you'd think this was because they were heated. Wrong. Given those were the first two things that came out completely hurt the rest of an otherwise decent meal. The little gems salad was tasty with a good balance of crunch and dressing. The ribs were wonderfully fall off the bone and had a sweet and tangy sauce. Burgers were decent too, thought medium rare turned into medium well by the time it arrived.Special Features:
- HorribleLegends58Dined on 5/7/2014Food was greasy noise was loud service was ok at best when I made the reservation I noted it wast wife's birthday they didn't even acknowledge it. Won't recommend or ever go back
- The following 72 reviews are from the The Farmers Union reviews archive.
- Good lunch atmosphere, food just okOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/2/2014Had soup and salad. Soup was good, salad was bad. Salad looked like the scrapes of the lettuce we don't eat at home. The dressing was all vinegar, no oil.Special Features:
- The overwhelming noise a no-returnOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/1/2014Too noisy. Huge tv screens with b-ball and hockey same time. If you want to have good food while yelling your lungs out go here.
- Yummy small platesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/25/2014Nice to see a restaurant who is not afraid of spice! Crab cakes - awesome. Soup yummy!Special Features:
- It was game time (when isn'tmarkgVIPDined on 4/5/2014It was game time (when isn't it) with people screaming at the top of their lungs, so loud it hurt. Service was poor; the server was very nice but apparently had zero training. We wont be going back
- Fantastic service!mamasitaVIPDined on 4/5/2014We brought our family here for an early Saturday night dinner. The waitress was awesome, very knowledgeable and attentive. We basically ordered all the small plates to share and the beer nuts. The nuts were awesome- the kids loved them too! The Mac and cheese is yummy, and the poutine fries as well. We were a bit disappointed with the cider , and fruit beer selection, there are none :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love going to this place butEastmeetswestVIPDined on 4/3/2014Love going to this place but food tends to be overcooked. Love the vibe of the place so will continue to go there probably but will be more selective of what I order.
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/22/2014We had a very nice time at the Farmer's Union. Beer was awesome and the service was great. Burger was really good too. They need to work on the fish and chips a bit. They weren't too good. Too much batter and greasy. All in all it was a good experience. Will go back.Special Features:
- Food was fantastic and theytimboDined on 3/22/2014Food was fantastic and they were very accommodating to our party of 9 which included 3 children. Wait staff were extremely nice and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with great BarKMG1Dined on 3/22/2014If you want your choice of 50 beers on tap, 20 flat screens and something more than burgers and fried food. This is the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before The Sharks GameOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/22/2014We had a great time with friends. First time here and had no issues getting seated right away. Love the ambiance!! Love the beers on tap!!!!!!! And all the tv screens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique sports bar with interestingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/21/2014unique sports bar with interesting food and great selection of beer. Staff is very friendly and great service. Fish and Chips was the only disappointment.I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll go againPWilson601Dined on 3/8/2014This was our second visit and it was definitely different from the first time, which was 5 months ago. I can't say enough about how wonderful our service was. The restaurant was packed with a line, but our server was friendly and attentive, despite there being no empty table. The menu is very limited, there are more beers on tap than items on the menu (not that I am complaining.) I had the beer battered catfish, which was very ordinary. My husband had the burger which was overly charred on the outside while perfectly medium on the inside. The first time we visited, the burger was superb. Our friend had the macaroni and cheese with a side of meatballs and says it was really good. The beer was amazing and the ambiance was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dinner!DinnerWithFriendsInSJDined on 3/8/2014Went to The Farmers Union for the first time 3/8. I met friends there for dinner before the Sharks game. The staff was curtious and made some excellent suggestions for dinner. I got the special which was a ribeye steak, it was cooked to a perfect medium rare (just the way I like it)! They were also great and let me substitute brussel sprouts for asparagus, which made my meal perfect. I will definitely be going back to try other items on their menu. There were 4 of us for dinner and everyone loved what they ordered! I have already told several friends that they need to go there for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- birthdaymrrowbob2uDined on 2/23/2014Good food, great service a bit pricey! Very comfortable dinner on a Sunday evening.Special Features:
- Nice bar big screensDininJenDined on 2/20/2014The decor of this place as well as how spacious it is is nice. A slight more variety of the menu with wine and food soul make this a higher score. They do have a good burger!Special Features:
- Good pre concert mealmindianerVIPDined on 2/17/2014This is a noisy and lively restaurant. The servings sizes were generous and prices fair. It is upscale American food. We enjoyed all we had. The server was friendly, but it was pretty inefficient service. He had a large section and had to run up and down the stairs.we got our salad and 3 minutes later the dinner arrived. They had very large plates and platters, so there was no room to eat, which I found unpleasant. Then we had to wait quite awhile for our dessert and bill. The waiter wrote off our desserts without our asking, which redeemed the experience. I will probably give it another try..Special Features:
- We waited an hour to get ourOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/17/2014We waited an hour to get our food, never got the appitizers, they came when we were paying the bill
- like little bar and French pressOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/17/2014Been here 3 times- food is "ok" Will probably only go if nothing else is available. They need to mature a bit as restauranteurs. Like it enough to suggest others try it. It definitely isn't bad, just not great...yet.