The Farmers Union
151 W. Santa Clara St
San Jose, CA 95113Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Farmers Union
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.thefarmersunion.com/
- Phone: (408) 277-0545
- Hours of Operation:
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Beer Garden, Burgers, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Charles Crossley
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the General Manager at (408)277.0545 or complete the event request form on our website.
- Entertainment: We feature over 20 televisions for your sports viewing pleasure, highlighted by our 200" High Definition projector.
- Special Events: Join us for Happy Hour daily from 3pm - 6pm (Bar Seating Only) for $5 draft beers and 15% off all draft wine plus food specials.
A word from The Farmers Union
The Farmers Union is a gastropub located in the heart of downtown San Jose. We boast a 60 tap draft system that features many craft beers, wine on tap, as well as root beer and cider. Our food menu has a large assortment of items with many of them prepared in our wood burning oven, charcoal grill and rotisserie.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Farmers Union - Best Restaurants in San Jose ›
The Farmers Union reviews from OpenTable diners
77 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (39)vibrant bar scene (30)fit for foodies (28)neighborhood gem (24)hot spot (19)great for lunch (14)late-night find (10)special occasion (10)kid-friendly (5)romantic (4)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- Good food, great beer list!AGoldDined on 11/17/2014I was there for my birthday with 5 friends, and we enjoyed splitting several of the appetizers and entrees, as well as some beers and 3 desserts. We enjoyed it - the food was good (I'd give it 7.5 out of 10), the beer list had a lot of good unique choices, especially if you like Belgian beers and IPA. Other drink options were nice as well. I'm curious what other items will appear on the menu and how often it changes. It was pretty easy to split the food among all 6 of us. Our wait staff was friendly, though sometimes it took a while for them to come back to us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for business lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/14/2014Held a casual one on one business lunch at the Union. The private booths are a nice touch providing the perfect amount of privacy to discuss business while still being able to enjoy a view of the main dining and bar areas. The wait staff was attentive and courteous. The grass fed burger was cooked a perfect medium rare as ordered and the bacon lintel soup was excellent. I will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/8/2014i'm so happy to see a great restaurant finally go in here. we had a hard time deciding on what to eat and can't wait to come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad that we went backseafoodloverDined on 11/6/2014We had been to the Farmers Union last year and vowed never to go back. The food and service were terrible. I read in the Mercury that the menu and the format had changed. We decided to try it again. We went with friends on a Thursday night before the Sharks game. We all enjoyed our meals and the service was just right, attentive but not too much. Two of us had the sausage plate. It was very good. We took the pretzels to eat later during the game. My husband had the salmon special and our friend had the fish and chips, they both liked their choices. The prices were in line with the amount and quality of the food. We will go back. Next time I am going to save room for dessert. There were some tasty sounding items on the menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and drinkstroublekitty81Dined on 11/6/2014They always have an amazing beer list, very knowledgeable bartenders, and their menu is constantly changing. Luckily the IPA fondue stays.Special Features:
- Amazing brussel sprout salad!food4usDined on 11/4/2014The combo of texture and flavors makes this salad a 10! My date (who doesn't care for this veggie) ate half of my salad.Special Features:
- Fun, good food and beerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2014The food is consistently good; comfort food. Great selection of beer and the bread pudding is fantastic. Sports on several TVs and a large bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great beer listOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/1/2014Good food and great beer list. Went early before the Sharks game and it was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold food!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/22/2014It was a bad night ! Fairmont Hotel where we were staying told us to go there for the Giants game. The food was very slow to come out and when it did it was cold and it took for ever to get our food back from the Kitchen. Just was not good food.......
- Great addition to downtown SJilovefoodVIPDined on 10/22/2014Nice to have a place focused on the quality of the food and service. Most places downtown are bars with bar food and bad service. I've been twice - once before a Sharks game and again just a business dinner on a Wednesday night. Both times had great food, beer/cocktails, and service even with a Sharks game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved itflashDined on 10/20/2014They have a great craft beer selection. Restaurant week with a sweet price fix dinner. Nice booth.
- My new go to spot!JafadtDined on 10/17/2014Just amazing overall! This will be my go to spot and I recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pricey but niceyricktherulerDined on 10/17/2014This place was great food, lots of beer selections, fantastic cocktails (Manhattan). Kind of a trendy menu, but good nonetheless. Only however I would include is the price tag; not an inexpensive meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentRaeleenDined on 10/17/2014Food was great! Service was Fantastic!! Great Decor!! Great wine list! Dessert was Amazing! I wil be coming back aoon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Giant's Play offOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/16/2014During the game it was a bit noisy - needless to say. The Giant's won. Food, service, The Union Manhattan was very good!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Service and Bar Area.DiningCoupleDined on 10/16/2014The service was the best I've experienced in downtown San Jose. Host and waitress were prompt, respectful, and checked up on us frequently while refilling water and drinks. Lots of tv's around the bar showing sports but not too large screens to distract other guests sitting at tables. The bar is very spacious and perfect for eating and drinking while catching a sports game. Price is mid range but we had a pre fixe dinner with outstanding salad, pork ribs, and dessert for $25 during Silicon Valley Restaurant Week. It's a nice place to meet up with friends and family for a meal and drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Inexperience showingPTL15Dined on 10/16/2014I like this place: the décor and ambiance. I wish the service had completed the picture, but our waiter clearly lacked experience. Friendly enough, he was attentive when taking our order, but my entrée had NONE of what I had asked for with my burger order: salad, no fries; no onions; add mushrooms. He had written them down, so I thought, yet the tasty burger reflected none of it. I spoke up immediately about the salad, and the food runner quickly made the swap. But when the waiter checked back with us, he had not remembered any of it. Topping it off, the bill reflected the extra $2 for the mushrooms. After I pointed the error out, he apologized and corrected the bill. I'll come back for the brussel sprout salad but find a different waiter!Special Features:
- worthy...OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 10/5/2014not a bad joint near San Pedro Square...especially before a concert or hockey...Special Features:
- OK food, poor service, slooow barRobTVIPDined on 10/2/2014My wife and I went here for dinner before a show with 2 hours lead time. It took us 35 minutes to get our first round of cocktails and at that time, we had already finished our over-seasoned appetizers. We never received our second round of cocktails nor the wine we requested for when our meals arrived, so we cancelled them. Very disappointing. They have a great ambience/location and a clever menu, but poor execution.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/2/2014Need more servers and bartenders. Slow service. Just ok food
- Fitting but not a 10LibraEatsDined on 10/1/2014I enjoyed myself on my date at the Farmers Union. It was a Wednesday night and the Giants were playing. The hostess did a great job on table placement for a date. It was helpful to have a more intimate feel in the corner table next to the window. The food was delish (I had the heirloom tomatoe salad and he had the steak and fries) and we delved into your red wines plenty which made the evening completely golden for the lush experience. The only concern was that at the time the waitress would take out order or when she would come back to the table and check-in she was definitely yelling at us to ask her question. Although the table we were given was super cozy and perfect for our date taking orders was a whole different story.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place!MissMiaVIPDined on 9/27/2014Love this place; great ambiance, gorgeous atmosphere. Food was delicious and the servers were very nice. Will definitely come back.Special Features:
- Great Food and StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/27/2014First time dinners at The Farmers Union. We were impressed by the food, very well prepared as per the menu. Good beer selection, I like unusual beers but also a very good wine selection, Bella Glos is one of our favorites. I was struck that various wait-staff attended to us. We had an excellent waiter, but if a water glass was low, it was topped off by someone roaming by on their way to another table. The staff management has got everyone workng together which is rare to see but delightful to experience. We will be back.Special Features:
- great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/26/2014was really good little slow getting drinks, but besides that food was great service was great, overall great dinning experanceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FARM CHICKokoDined on 9/26/2014The Farmers Union is located right in the heart of downtown San Jose at San Pedro Square. The décor and ambience is a modern and chic twist on rustic old west dining, which could also be said of the classic American fare done with flare. It is open and spacious, with plenty of space to get around, but if you prefer a more private setting, they do have private booths with curtains - very fun! It's an ideal spot for lunch or happy hour, definitely worth checking it out!Special Features:
- A nice neighborhood findOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/21/2014We tried out The Farmers Union after we found out the restaurant we were going to closed early. Their loss and our gain! We looked thru open table and found Farmers Union. Such a nice surprise, great service, excellent food and great ambiance. We started off with the mushroom cigars...um, yum! We both had burgers that were beyond excellent! Our waitress was a cutie pie and ver attentive without being disruptive. I will definetly go back to the Farmers Union!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Quick MealBaconBoy77VIPDined on 8/30/2014We decided to try The Farmers Union before a show downtown. This was a perfect pick. The food was overall very good - nothing to blow you away - but the portions were spot-on and nothing was heavy. The drinks were great and the service and serve times were great. We were in and out in about 45min and didn't feel rushed. Plus the cute private booths on the side are fun and keep the noise moderate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love the redesignASB318Dined on 8/22/2014It's much brighter inside compared to before. Order the burger or ribs! Terrific beer list of hard to find selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tuscany Cowboy Sports BarDZRhinoDined on 8/20/2014Lots of tap craft beers, menu is sports bar, decor is very mixed. Whoever did the decor got a little mixed up on where they were. Italian tiles mixed with cowboy motif and sports bar flat panels . . . very confused. Service was great, beer was good, food was meh. We tried some of the small plates, one of the big salads, and fish/chips based on recommendations. All were either average or a little disappointing for the price. Go for the beer, not the food.Special Features:
- food mediocreDowntownWorkerDined on 8/18/2014The restaurant looks nice, the few staff we saw were friendly but not able to keep up with the downtown lunch rush. Although our small plate of smoked chicken wings was delicious, everything else was not good enough to finish eating, even though we were still hungry. The waiter got our orders wrong, brought us both the same thing: grilled cheese and tomato "soup." The grilled cheese needed more cheese, and the small bowl of spicy dipping broth did not qualify as an actual soup that would taste good enough to eat on its own. My companion ordered fettucine, but was given the grilled cheese instead. We found it difficult to get a waiter's attention to get the situation remedied.Special Features:
- DelishDined on 8/16/2014The service was thoughtful, and our server anticipated everything we may need. The food was spectacular, but the service was stellar. We will come back soon.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014Interesting decor, great food, but pretty noisy. There seem to have been a lot of waiters dropping things while we were there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Beer ListOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/14/2014Lots of choices of beers, food was great and reasonable. would return for sure.Special Features:
- JefmelVIPDined on 8/11/2014The place was very crowded due to a concert. Service was on the slower side, but very pleasant and apologetic. Food was really good.
- What can I say? Fantastic food!CB2013Dined on 8/5/2014This place is amazing. We started off with a few appetizers (chesse fondue and asparagus). We moved onto the main course and ordered the ribs. OMG! They were tender and the sauce was uh-mazing! So so delicious. This was an great way to celebrate my birthday.Special Features:
- Good but needs attention to detailsanonymousVIPDined on 8/2/2014The Farmer's Union is in a vibrant part of downtown. The space has a nice vibe. There is indoor/outdoor seating with an energetic but not overwhelming ambiance. Anyone from young to family with small kids would feel comfortable here. Service was competent and the hostess and servers were talkative and fun. Good beer selection. We ordered a chopped lettuce salad that was hearty with a pleasing mix of textures. The dressing was perfect, light and not overly acidic. We also shared a half-rack of ribs that came with slaw and potato salad, all of which we enjoyed quite a bit. Off-putting details: a sour-dishrag/vaguely bleachy smell throughout, sticky tables, carpeting on stairs looks like it hasn't been vacuumed in weeks.Special Features:
- The following 85 reviews are from the The Farmers Union reviews archive.
- Tasty and InterestingBrewski20Dined on 7/22/2014I had grilled asparagus starter and salmon. The Asparagus had great seasoning and a spicy tomato sauce. Excellent. Salmon was slightly over done (I like it on the rare side). Served on a fricassee (who knew). It was delicious, and filling. The beer is off the deep end good. Lots of selections.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/17/2014This was my first visit to this restaurant and I can see myself becoming a regular! The beer list is impressive. We were there for happy hour and were very pleased with our small plate selections. The spicy shrimp were my favorite. I also enjoyed the fondue, crab cakes and chicken satay. I would definitely order all of them again. The prices can't be beat. My friend and I tried 4 different beers each and also shared 4 small plates. All items were $4. Keep in mind, these are not HUGE portions, but enough to fill you up while you enjoy some craft brews! I'm looking forward to trying the other menu items next time. The bar area is HUGE! Patrick (at the bar) took great care of us.Special Features:
- Thursday Business LunchTheGreatManginiDined on 7/17/2014My wife and I went here with friends during Shark's playoffs to watch a game. We had a great time sitting on one of the high tops and watching the game on the enourmous TV. I was curious to try it for a business lunch (I'm in sales). Took two guys from Cisco plus a guest from out of town (Israel). Everyone was extremely complimentary about the food, service. The huge selection of beers on tap made for good ice breaker, and everyone ended up having one with lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 7/1/2014The beer selection was extensive, which was the highlight. It took ten minutes to be acknowledged with water and then we had to flag down the busboy to send over a server. Restaurant unprepared for a pre-concert crowd. The salmon was missing the pea tendrils, the Mac & cheese was unseasoned, and paid $$$ for five stringy asparagus stalks. My friend's salmon steak was twice the size of mine. Inconsistent, flavorless food and slow service won't give me incentive to come back.Special Features: