The Farmers' Cabinet
1113 Walnut St.
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Farmers' Cabinet
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thefarmerscabinet.com/
- Phone: 2159231113x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
Saturday: 3:00 - 12:00am
Sunday: 3:00pm - 11:00pm
Bar open Daily until 2am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Wild Game
- Executive Chef: Britain Burgos
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Farmers’ Cabinet is an elegant metaphor illustrating the personal, handpicked supply of the farmer’s finest goods. This concept parallels ours perfectly, with our locally sourced food, European and domestic craft beer, and hand crafted cocktails.
- Private Party Contact: Philip & Nerissa 2159231113
- Entertainment: Live 1920's piano Tuesdays-Thursdays. Full Hot Jazz Bands Friday and Saturday evenings
Turn of the century live hot Jazz Friday and Saturday nights
- Special Events: We can easily accomodate large parties of 15-20 with our full menu, and party over this size is required to dine with a prix fixe.
- Cross Street: Walnut Street between 11th and 12th
- Public Transit: Easily accessible from the Broad Street Line - Walnut/Locust stop, or the Market Frankford Line (The El) - 11th Street stop.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Central Parking garage located at 12th and Sansom
Parking Vouchers are available through our hostess.
A word from The Farmers' Cabinet
Early American era saloon and dining. Devoted to rustic American cuisine, classically derived cocktails, and European & American craft beer. Enjoy our euro and domestic charcuterie, including house-made sausages, along with locally sourced food and field game.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Farmers' Cabinet reviews from OpenTable diners
1 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3Noise LevelModerate
late-night find (1)Show More
- Great FoodKandCDined on 5/25/2014A slightly different menu, but delicious. A neat cocktail menu and the duck perogi appetizer was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not farm to tableJlw70VIPDined on 5/18/2014The menu was weak. We all ordered the same thing because there was only one thing on the menu that appealed to us. We are very open eater, so it wasn't that we didn't like some of the more obscure dishes on the menu, it just didn't excite anyone. Kind of disappointing because it was a celebration.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/18/2014Great selection of beer including some craft and micro brews. The food was disappointing. The menu was a little weird. Duck hearts??? Only one fish option, sea bass, which sounded good except that it came with a fried egg on it. Pickled veggies was one of their specialties. Didn't work with beer. Limited wine selection by the glass, only 2 white wines, one of which they were out of. I had the pulled pork sandwich but it was fatty and greasy.Special Features:
- Really LoudIWasHungryDined on 5/17/2014We sat in the communal beer hall which we expected to be energetic, but the music and the noise were so loud that my party of 4 had difficulty having a group conversation. The food was good, but overpriced for what it was.Special Features:
- Cool Jazz and Delicious FoodcfoodieDined on 5/12/2014Went on a Monday night for dinner and sat in the tavern. No live jazz that night, but the music playing was really awesome. The beer list is crazy, something for everyone, and the cocktails are absolutely killer, if a bit spendy. It's not an inexpensive place, but the food is worth it. We got the Chef's Choice charcuterie plate, which was our favorite part of the meal by far. We'd go back just for that and drinks, and plan to. My date got the Veal Short Ribs, which were absolutely delicious and totally stood on their own, no crazy saucing needed. I ordered the Maple Laquered Squab and really enjoyed it. Only complaint: the benches are uncomfortable, but if you keep drinking and eating their delicious food, you'll stop noticing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerPeterDined on 5/3/2014Last minute booking, food surprised me by the quality but the service was poor, auctioning off dishes at the table "Who get the soup etc". That would have been made easier if we had a soup spoon!! I made a special request in the entree preparation that was not carried out. Food was good enough that I will probably return, just with low expectations on service.Special Features:
- Great all-aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014Excellent food and friendly service. Wonderful atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farmers' CabinetphillydinerDined on 5/2/2014The restaurant has great ambiance, the music is enjoyable and the rustic candlelight rooms give it a classy feel. The drink menu is intricate and vast and the mixed drinks are delicious. However, it took the waitress about 40 minutes to bring us our drinks (and the restaurant was not very crowded). We would have ordered more if they came sooner. We ordered a plate of pickled vegetables as an appetizer before our entrees. Our entrees came out quickly, however the waitress completely forgot about the appetizer. Food was decent, large portions but expensive for what you get. I should have stuck with the burger on the bar menu (its simply delicious). Overall: great ambiance, decent food, good drinks, poor serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food, lackluster experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/1/2014Good food. Empty dining area with 1 or 2 parties seated out of perhaps 20 tables (went on a Thurs night). Service was not very good - poor job answering questions on menu items, servers congregated and joked around (noisily) when away from the table, displayed some attitude. For the price you can certainly do better elsewhere. Pub area seemed lively and fun but a more formal dining experience was anything but.
- Must visitEBdiningVIPDined on 4/26/2014This was my first time at this restaurant. Enjoyed the experience from making the reservation all the way to exiting the facility. Staff was great and attentive at each step. Bar area had a great vibe and feel. Drinks were weel made. Dinner was awesome. Perfection all the way around. I do need to get back there to have more items from the menu and enjoy the live jazz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere, food, and beer!TM1979Dined on 4/25/2014Loved the ambience. Upstairs is formal dining room but stay downstairs for the real ambience of this place. We didn't stay late enough for the live jazz but will next time. The food is original and delish. Cheese menu to die for. The beer selection was great. As someone who frequents craft beer establishments i was really impressed with their offerings, most i'd never even heard of!Special Features:
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/18/2014The food was the real deal for a foodie! We had the Duck hearts and be prepared to finish all the sauce because it's amazing. For dinner we had the Quail which was incredible and the Shell and Bones! Drinks were classy and the manager Britain really makes you feel like you want to be his friend for ever! Wao wao!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a pre-engagementCeeejjjjjjjjDined on 4/12/2014Ate here before I proposed and couldn't have asked for a better restaurant!Special Features:
- Good food, bad singingOutOfTownerVIPDined on 4/6/2014Farmer's Cabinet has a real conference to the its and flavor palette, or at least it did in early April. Hearty, rooty, very satisfying food. The food was very good -- excellent by Philly standards. I would happily recommend it to others. However, the singer performing during our entire meal was horrible. His guitar and harmonica were fine -- even good. But his voice was not. Both the vocal quality and the interpretations of the songs were bad enough to make our meal LESS pleasant. Furthermore, he appeared to think that by singing Johnny Cash songs (1/4/-1/3 of his songs) he could get away with his lack of voice. No. Johnny Cash had a voice and interpteration.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mixed BagOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/6/2014I went to dinner with my wife on a quiet Sunday night. They had live jazz music which was great and our drink and appetizers were amazing. I had a great short rib dish but my wife's trout was very undercooked. The server and manager were very apologetic and brought out a second piece which was still undercooked. I think the drinks and appetizers are worth it but the main course dishes are a bit pricey and just don't deliver.
- poor service!OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 4/5/2014I wanted to like The Farmer's Cabinet. It has such a cool bar area and overall vibe when you walk in. We had 8:30 reservations on a Friday night. We were seating in a half full dining area. Our waiter didn't appear for 20 minutes (did I mention it was half full and he wasn't the only server?), he took our drink order, and 15 minutes later when our beer and wine - nothing fancy - didn't arrive, we left. We were set to order a variety of chacuterie and other delicious looking items from the menu, but 35 minutes without the opportunity to even place an appetizer order in insane.
- Candle-lit and funkyPHLdiningDined on 3/29/2014Very interesting menu, and fabulous beers, wines, and mixed drinks! An unusual and inviting atmosphere, best especially when it's not too crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yum!LG77Dined on 3/22/2014first time out to this restaurant. Was impressed with the service and the food was phenomenal!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!Ehoop20Dined on 3/22/2014Our server could not have been nicer! (I forget her name but she had red hair). She made our experience outstanding there and I would definitely come back! The chefs tasting for the charcuterie was our favorite part of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun experience, loudAlgiDined on 3/15/2014We dined with a larger group and it was very difficult to hear each other. Everyone including the server found themselves shouting. The drink menu was great, lots of choices for unique cocktails and beer. Food was good, not great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the drinksPhillyfoodsVIPDined on 3/14/2014Wasn't that impressed with the food but the drinks were great.Special Features:
- so-soVinsMomVIPDined on 3/7/2014I had high hopes as I thought the menu was interesting. The foie gras pirogies were too dry and a bit bland. The rabbit was good. The bones and shells (marrow bone and shell fish) was an interesting combination. One small mostly empty marrow bone was rather sad and I would have loved more broth to go with the large portion of well cooked shellfish. Hit or miss. Wine list was reasonable. Please, however, could we have real water glasses and not jelly jars which don't look too clean. Also, our tablecloth looked as if someone had mashed it up and then laid it out, super wrinkly . The rest of the clothes looked neat, but ours sure wasn't. What's with that?
- Dinner @ Farmers' CabinettonyDined on 3/1/2014We thought the food and drink menus were very creative. Food was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambience and serviceLeelaDined on 2/22/2014The ambience here, the rustic yet unique farm to food type or atmosphere, was very welcomed. While the food was definitely solid - the competitive advantage here are the drinks (delicious with clever names), atmosphere, and service. Overall, a great evening and would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Go for drinks, leave for the foodTomBDined on 2/8/2014Very disappointing experience. Seemed like an interesting concept and the menu descriptions were fit for foodies. However, it seemed like they put all of their time/money into the decor, which was so over the top that it can be best described as Disney-like .... in fact, it brought the Pirates of the Caribbean attraction to mind. And the food ... the charcuterie was horrendous. The cured meats and the cheeses seemed like they were purchased at a local supermarket. Nothing handmade or novel about them, and the flavors wouldn't match anything from DiBruno's. The main courses didn't get any better .... the rabbit was completely overcooked and, therefore, dry. The northern beans on the side were undercooked and hard. All had similar experiences
- Always outstandingphillydocDined on 2/8/2014We always find something new at Farmer's Cabinet, whether it be a new drink from their mixologists (and they truly are - we had a picky drinker in our group, he asked "tell me what flavors you like," asked a couple of follow-ups, and then just nailed the perfect drink) or something we've never eaten before. Definitely holds up to repeat visits.Special Features:
- Interesting and tastysoutherncomfortDined on 2/7/2014The menu for beer was extensive and the food selections were a nice variety with interesting choices including quail, rabbit, venison, trout and a vegetarian option. Also steak and veal if less adventurous. Charcuterie is excellent and great cheese selection as well. We had the trout and veal short ribs and it was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great vibe; so-so food; noisy.MarkusDined on 2/1/2014The space is great--speakeasy meets brew pub. More of a bar vibe. Great menu but the execution, particularly on the entrees didn't measure up for everyone in our party. Desserts were also nothing special. as for vibe, it's loud at its baseline, but then at 10pm an old-timey jazz group started playing and dinner conversation was no longer possible. If your focus is drinking more than eating its worth checking out. Foodies should look elsewhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attentive Wait StaffOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/1/2014My partner and I have an ongoing debate about who gets to pay for the meals we share. Having arrived before me, my partner discussed the situation with our server first and set it up so he could pay without my knowing. While I didn't get to pay as I'd wished, I was impressed by the service we received overall and our server's willingness to participate in our experience at this extra level. I've never been disappointed by the Farmers Cabinet, and I hope to be a patron of their fine foods, beer and waitstaff for years to come.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointinganneDined on 2/1/2014Terrible unenthusiastic service; menu dominated by duck fat, like a pseudo-gourmet place. The charcuterie plate was disappointing. The drinks were very interesting and by far the best part of the experience.Special Features:
- The food was not great. LastOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/31/2014The food was not great. Last time I ate at Farmer's Cabinet, it was amazing, but this meal was awful. The portions where good, but the quality was lacking. My dessert, which was the "pumpkin cheesecake" was just a weird crust with a little bit of whipped cream in the center...not even homemade whipped cream...I'm talking out of the can. I really loved this place, but they really let me down this weekend.
- inediblecrablejaxDined on 1/31/2014We went for restaurant week. My date got the "mug" of rum punch. In this place, "mug" means a teacup and is ridiculously over priced. I ordered the quail, which, again, was salty but edible. My date ordered the veal short ribs. It should have been called veal fat ribs. There was virtually no meat on the plate and until this meal, I had no idea how much fat a small animal could have. Our veal probably was slaughtered after failing to lose weight at fat camp. And the final course was charged as "pumpkin cheesecake.". Betty Crocker makes better microwavable dessert trays. In fact, that's what this looked like. Complete with black plastic bowl. Definitely think twice about dining here.
- restaurant weekanthonyVIPDined on 1/31/2014team-oriented wait staff... it felt like we had 4 waiters waiting on us. our main server was very attentive. the menu for restaurant week was superb. however, my vegetarian friends both misread the menu and ordered the ravioli with meat. food came out real quick. i had some non-alcoholic cream drink which was very forgettable (more foam than actual drink). overall, we had a good time catching up thanks to the staff and environment of Farmer's Cabinet.I would recommend this to a friend.
- EhhhKatieDined on 1/31/2014The food was very hit or miss and generally disappointed my expectations. The drinks however were pretty damn good. I would maybe go back just for the bar instead of the dining experience. Also, communal tables for the dining area were awful. I suppose sometimes communal table seating isn't so bad, but of course my friend and I ended up sitting next to a very loud and angry couple that audibly complained about every single thing in the restaurant, and that sort of set the tone for the evening.Special Features:
- Meh....at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/31/2014Our server was nice and attentive that is always a plus but our food was not what was expected and neither were the drinks. I know the restaurant is prohibition themed but really an alcoholic punch advertised as served in a mug was actually a old fashioned glass punch cup that your grandmother probably had on her dining table when you were young. I'm guessing that cup held 2ounces..maybe Ten bucks for a cup of punch? Wow and 13 bucks for a Dixie cup held size glass of weirdness! The prohibition theme is taken too literally when it comes to the cocktails which is not a good thing. Take cue from the constitution when they amended prohibition because it wasn't cute then and it certainly in 2014 is not cute now!
- DisappointedfoodieDined on 1/30/2014Liked the restaurant for atmosphere but dissapointed in the food. Everything was good but nothing overwhelming. Waiter was fabulous.
- Good Service & Food= Better RatingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 1/29/2014It was me and my boyfriend's first time dining here. We ordered off the Restaurant Week menu as well as some items from the regular menu. The appetizers and dessert were good, however, our entrees and our server is why this rating is not higher. Our server wasn't knowledegable about the menu and very inattentive. It took about 10 min. before he even came to the table, and an additional 15 min. for water to come to our table. Both of our entrees were cold-- it tasted as though our entrees were sitting in the kitchen for too long because the broth for the "Shells n Bones" entree was cold and the bone marrow was cold and gritty in the center. The braised ribs were cold and chewy that it had to be cut with a steak knife... Very disappointingSpecial Features:
- Quite a DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/29/2014My boyfriend ate here during restaurant. The service was very friendly but didn't hover. The food was beautiful and delicious. What I liked most might have been the pace of the courses. We had time to enjoy our first course and we were finished before the second course was presented. We got to savor our food and were not rushed in any way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over excitement becomes overwhelmedMsterDined on 1/29/2014The Farmers Cabinet has so much going for and it so much potential to be better the food was adventurous and an adventure is what I wanted, but the flavors at best were a C+ in rating and I would consider giving it three stars "pushing it." The drinks were equally disappointing and for their price tag they should be all but disappointing or leave the after taste of a Pizza Hut meal in your mouth.Special Features:
- Great place for drinks, not dinnerphillypeteDined on 1/28/2014I came here before to grab drinks with friends, which was awesome. Then I decided to go for restaurant week, and the food was cold, and not cooked properly. The veal short ribs were tough and the mussels and scallops were very fishy. The entrees room temp to cool..the desserts were descent though. Stick with drinks..it appears to be a great bar that decided to get into the fine dining business..there's nothing wrong with good bar food, esp when they have a great drink selection. Stay in your lane Farmers Cabinet!Special Features: