The Farm Cafe
10 SE 7th Ave
Portland, OR 97214-1244Neighborhood:
NorthwestPrice: $30 and under
The Farm Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thefarmcafe.com/
- Phone: (503) 736-3276
- Hours of Operation:
Open 7 nights a week for dinner.
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Northwest
- Executive Chef: Kelly Weiss
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: Burnside
- Public Transit: Because of proximity to Burnside, all bus lines serving Burnside/Couch will provide transportation. 12, 19 and 20 bus stops are within 1 block of location in either direction.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Very limited parking lot, 4 spaces plus 1 handicapped access. Plenty of street parking.
A word from The Farm Cafe
The Farm Café in Southeast Portland, showing proper respect to the humble bounty of the Pacific Northwest since 2003. Dinner served seven nights a week.Continued
Reservations can be made online or by calling. We also save a number of tables for walk-ins. Outside dining available. Our no reservation patio is seated first come, first served.
Reservations can be made online or by calling. We also save a number of tables for walk-ins. Outside dining available. Our no reservation patio is seated first come, first served.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNorthwest
The Farm Cafe - Best Restaurants in Southeast Portland ›
The Farm Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
142 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (108)neighborhood gem (71)great for outdoor dining (58)romantic (54)special occasion (49)notable wine list (29)good for groups (24)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (6)hot spot (6)great for lunch (6)late-night find (5)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Farm Cafe has the best deviled eggs EVER!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2014Ever moment we spent at Farm Cafe was great. They seated us in the bar right away to wait for our table. Then we liked the bar table so much, we decided to stay and have dinner in the bar with our party of four. The food was fresh and yummy and the deviled eggs appetizer was really good! The drinks were unique and interesting. All-in, this was a hit for our entire group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Accidental FindCasualFoodiesDined on 11/15/2014We found the Farm Cafe by accident when trying to decide where to go for dinner on a rare evening without our son. We've now been back twice more, bringing more and more of our family to this delicious gem of a restaurant. Such a wonderful place to eat locally sourced foods; salmon, leg of lamb, potato gnocchi (sp), duck breast, and pan seared trout, just to name a few. All of them so delicious and their warm brie and fruit compote appetizer/dessert is a must have item! Seriously!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent service. great foodSisterMaryMargaretDined on 11/11/2014Very friendly service. Great place to meet friends for dinner. We were not rushed at all. Highly recommend this restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2014The food and service at the Farm cafe was terrific. My only complaint is that the gnocchi was a little on the salty side. Definitely delicious, but unnecessarily salty.Special Features:
- Always a solid choiceAllisonGDined on 11/9/2014Good food and service per usual. We will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE THIS PLACE!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/8/2014Second time here and I can't say enough good stuff! The staff is top notch - from the host to the bartender to the waitress. Everyone pitches in and its a team effort. The food is fantastic. Baked brie app is to die for. We had the veggie burger (best I ever had) and the quinoa crusted risotto cakes and shared. The wine selection is amazing. I had a favorite last time I went - Evesham Wood from OR and they unfortunately were out this time. The bartender recommended another at the same price point that we loved as well. We will be back!Special Features:
- Great food and ambiancelbrownDined on 11/7/2014We love sitting in the bar area. Food is incredible. Wish they had more vegan options than they do, but they have 1-2 so that's okay. Our service was really great as well, which topped off the whole evening. A good happy hour too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasantly surprisedDeb49RoyVIPDined on 11/5/2014Would definitely return. Trout was crispy outside, tender inside--something I don't take the trouble to make at home, but now maybe I will. Maybe a little too much salt?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My third visit, probably my last.urbanefarmerDined on 11/4/2014On both previous occasions I'd eaten here, the food was excellent. It's been a couple of years and they seem to have taken their toll. The menu was unimaginative, the service merely adequate, the carafe wines undrinkable (I sent back two, something I rarely do, before giving up on the carafes and ordering a mid-range bottle of zinfandel that - not surprisingly - was mediocre), and my main fish dish so over-salted it was barely edible. It's doubtful I'll be returning anytime soon. There's so much great food in Portland. Don't waste your time/money at The Farm Cafe.Special Features:
- DisappointedvttopdxDined on 11/3/2014I've been to The Farm several times and was very disappointed with our most recent experience. The staff were not friendly, which is fairly consistent with my other experiences. Our server seemed annoyed by basic questions we were asking about wine pairings and the food. I ordered butternut squash ravioli in a brown butter sauce. The meals of the others are my table were delivered and I was told that the kitchen was plating mine. It was delivered 5-10 minutes later in a sauce with a pink tinge to it, which tasted heavily of wine, making it clear that they had rushed the meal and didn't allow sufficient time to burn off the sherry, likely because the kitchen failed to make it or my serve failed to order it along with the others.Special Features:
- Great taste and lovely presentationAllAboutFoodDined on 11/1/2014We had early reservations and enjoyed a window seat in this repurposed old home. The wait staff was friendly and attentive and the food arrived quickly and was as beautiful as it was delicious. We started with the Parsnip/apple soup which was smooth and delicious, then split the Roasted beet salad which was a nice combination of colors and flavors. The Quinoa crusted risotto cakes were a nice surprise... the quinoa being uncooked and wonderfully crunchy. I would happily return to this restaurant and try something new.Special Features:
- Best everpassthrufireDined on 10/28/2014I love this place. Lots of vegetarian entrees and sides, really well done food. Beet salad was the best, but the butternut squash ravioli was also great. My fiance complained that the burger was a little mushy but he still liked the flavor. Prompt service considering the place was packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Lousy Servicejwalker720Dined on 10/27/2014We tried several items on the menu: 2 different red wine carafes, 3 small plates, 2 salads, 2 entrees and dessert. We were there from California celebrating my wife's birthday and were spending decent money. We had reservations for 6:30. I note this because the restaurant knew we had put some thought into eating there, we didn't just roll in off the street looking to stuff our pie holes. Our server, not once, asked if we were enjoying our food. We were not offered any bread and after I asked for some and commented on how we were not offered any, there were no apologies. I put a birthday candle in my wife's dessert and quietly sang happy birthday to her and no one bothered to say happy birthday to her. Just rude.Special Features:
- Pleasant mealtraveltoeatDined on 10/26/2014The appetizers, we had three, were excellent. I would give a seven for the Gnocchi. The Ravioli was an eight, wished that I had ordered that. The Veggie burger was about a one on the one to ten scale, way too salty. Couldn't really comment on the taste, it was overwhelming salt. The waitress brought the check, didn't offer desert, so can not comment . I would go back maybe just a glitch. I would score the entire meal an excellent, but the Veggie Burger dragged down the averageSpecial Features:
- Romantic, Cozy, and Good Foodheathers24Dined on 10/26/2014Farm Cafe is known for its cozy, romantic atmosphere, and for a date, or a night in Portland, I'd recommend it. The food was good. We enjoyed the gruyere fritters, which were fluffy and light. My veggie burger was good but overpowered by a surprisingly strong mustard, which prevented me from tasting any other part of the burger, but it was fine. It was served on exceptional bakery bread: light, chewy, and wonderful! I loved the butter lettuce salad it came with, though it surprisingly didn't have anything in it but lettuce. My partner's trout was beautifully-cooked. We didn't order dessert, but it looked very good! Service was attentive. It was a good overall experience. The baked brie is always excellent, though we didn't get it this time.Special Features:
- Almost 5 stars!HonestDinerVIPDined on 10/25/2014I had been wanting to try this place for a while and I was not let down! It is a cool vibe when you enter and feel like you are entering someone's home. The only draw back was that we waited for about 5 minutes before we anyone greeted our group. That would be the biggest complaint is the disjointed service. The meal made up for any lack of service. The autumnal oriented menu was a wonderful experience and very thoughtfully executed. There is a strong compassion for the food which is a reason why I will prioritize the Farm Cafe as one of my go to places w/ family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portland-esqueAndyMDined on 10/25/2014The Farm House is a great little upscale Portland-esque dining spot. The chicken and gnocchi was AMAZINGLY GOOD!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will go Again!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014Our friends had been here before and loved it, so did we. Good fresh food nicely presented, prepared and seasoned. One of our party has a hearing problem and the music was too loud for conversation so they turned the speaker above our table down. The fans were on and near the window it was cold on a rainy day. They turned off a fan and it warmed up. One in our party could not eat dairy and asked for another dressing on his salad. His salad came overdressed. We loved the halibut and the yummy array of veggies that came with it. The Lamb Shep. pie was outstanding. I thanked your MD for accommodating us as I noticed raised eyebrows, and he thanked us, though busy with a full house on Friday night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/16/2014Always love the food, especially the Smoked Salmon Deviled Eggs.Special Features:
- a bit mixedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/16/2014We went to Farm Cafe (had been there before) and it was a bit of a mixed bag. Good service but one dish (duck confit) came out too salty to eat, and the Idaho pan-fried trout was more deep-fried than pan-fried. But overall pretty good, we'd go back again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some Missteps in the Culinary Areafood4thoughtDined on 10/16/2014Trout was extremely oversalted, and mushrooms were lacking originality as they were simply button mushrooms in a seasoned butter sauce served with bread. Service was good; however, plates were being removed before finished. Should always ask before removing plates and glasses from table.Special Features:
- Delicious!LeeleeDined on 10/14/2014Recently celebrated a milestone birthday at the Farm. Everything was incredibly tasty and fresh! Wish I could have tried a bit of everything! The sunken chocolate soufflé is the best ending to any meal that I can think of:)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Great MealMarvinandAbbyDined on 10/9/2014The menu selections are varied and extensive for both food and wine. We started with the Clams and Fries along with the Sautéed Mushrooms with Herbs. Both were great. For our Entrees we had the Lamb Meatballs and Duck Breast. Both were perfectly done and delicious. It all could not have been better! And the service was extremely good and prompt.Special Features:
- I keep returningBertDined on 10/8/2014I love this place. It's non pretentious, friendly, and comfortable. The food is fantastic, the service great. I will keep returning.Special Features:
- AmazingBostonChrisDined on 9/28/2014We had a group of 7 and ordered a bunch of apps to start. Everything was fantastic. I wanted to get more bread to be able to sop up the delicious juice from the clam fries. But I wisely saved space for the duck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food YummykristinDined on 9/26/2014the food was very very good. The Goat Cheese Ravioli was a treat!Special Features:
- Good choice for casualOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/26/2014Took friends from out of town here for a quick meal. The menu has changed somewhat from when we were there a few years ago, and it's nice to have non-vegetarian options as well. The wine selection was impressive and our server was attentive without hovering. Portions aren't overly large though, so be aware than that $15 entree might not entirely fill you up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pure delightmitriDined on 9/25/2014fine food, good people, great service. fresh organic, and best of all culinary. not a typical bland while healthy fare but actually spiced and flavorful. cudo's to the chef and all involved.Special Features:
- Great spot in inner southeastNativeOregonianDined on 9/22/2014We arrived at 6, just in time to order drinks and appetizers from the hapy hour menu, but it's best to come earlier for that. The restaurant was quiet and mostly empty at that hour but by the time we left it was quite full, and on a Monday evening! I chose The Farm because it came up on a list of vegan/vegetarian restaurants but it is not exclusively so. Among the entrees we ordered was a lamb dish and the trout. You can find vegetarian choices as well. We ordered and shared two salads between two couples, both tasty and interesting. Service was good, attentive but not annoying. We had questions for the waitperson and they were answered well. The noise level never made conversation difficult. All in all a pleasant and satisfying experience.Special Features:
- Farm fantasticWholeFoodVeganDined on 9/21/2014I have been to the farm off and on over the years. I always loved the food. So fresh with amazing tastes. They must have some special sous chef I have eaten there with people from out of town and again we went there last weekend. Our friends are meat eaters. I was thinking the farm served everything. Well, it was a great meal. Our friends had the clams and were eating and drinking my appetizers and wine. We loved all the food. It is served so beautifully. The beets with greens and goat cheese, the sautéed mushrooms and heirloom tomatoes as well as the bread were so scrumptious. Oh and pear dessert!!! We sat outside on a lovely evening. We heard the local bar music but it was fine. Now its fall...inside is cosy and warmSpecial Features:
- Great food. PeriodFoodFanDined on 9/21/2014We are selective diners who moved from California to the Seattle area recently. We made a few road trips through Portland during the move and found Farm Café based on great online ratings. We have been consistently pleased with the food and now go out of our way to dine there whenever we are in Portland. There are a lot of restaurants offering "farm to table" fare, but this is one of the few on the Pacific Coast that REALLY brings the best ingredients to the table consistently and complements them simply to showcase the great ingredients. Preparation and execution are always spot on. This delightfully simple food is what started the trend at great restaurants like Chez Panisse many years ago. Farm Café carries the tradition!Special Features:
- Best service everblakealisonDined on 9/20/2014The waitress who served us, Cassie, was so friendly and charming and the food came promptly and it all so delicious, even the drinks we ordered were amazing. Lovely experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DamianOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2014Our group of six came from California and had made a reservation. we arrived minutes after our time and the host had held a great spot outside for us. We shared bites and of each others meals and were impressed by each.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprise findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014Glad someone recommended this fabulous neighborhood victorian home restaurant with fresh, amazing, LOCAL foods...salmon was out of this world and the polenta --simply wonderful---great appetizers --all homemade --even the rosemary crackers. Deviled eggs divine. A Definite return. It is a quiet even with the background music and although we were seated in the front room --peeked at the bar and patio and can't wait to try those as well. Parking is on street but found a place one block away and yes they have a bike rack as well. Very hip and good vib and romantic. It was a hot day and they had A/C on for those of us inside which was a plus as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KBIdinerDined on 9/13/2014Our table for five was ready for us in the garden when we arrived. The server was attentive, knowledgeable and paced each entrée so smoothly that the entire meal was seamless. Each of us found that the flavors of our dinner choices were remarkable. We will certainly be recommending The Farm Cafe and will be returning soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit disappointinghbeachmomVIPDined on 9/12/2014We had an 8 pm reservation for 4 people. When we arrived we were told we could wait for an outdoor table or sit right away in an odd spot between the entry and the kitchen. We were hungry so we sat right away. The service was odd. I'm not sure if we had a waiter or just the host was trying to help out. We were rarely checked on to see if we needed anything. A bit odd, but the food was good. Disappointing but I would give them another chance.Special Features:
- Food was deliciousAnniversary13Dined on 9/12/2014My wife & I chose this place to celebrate our 1 year wedding anniversary. The place was very warm & inviting! The service was horrible!!! We waited for 25 minutes for Any acknowledgment at all. No polite conversation. We were ignored. The check was another 25 minute wait. We felt slighted and disrespected. I hope this changes so other people can have an enjoyable experience at this restaurant.Special Features:
- never fails to pleasefood1eDined on 9/10/2014We have been going to the Farm since they opened. We wish they gave frequent flyer creditsSpecial Features:
- AMAZING!bananamonkeyDined on 9/6/2014Looking at pictures online I didn't have high expectations, but we decided to give it a try. I am SO glad we did - the food was truly amazing. Fresh and delicious and SO tasty! Unique combinations of flavors I have never experienced, and all in a very eye-appealing presentation. I can't wait until I visit Portland again so I can go back to the Farm Cafe!Special Features:
- What a joy!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/3/2014My friend and I recently had dinner here after reading rave reviews on Chowhound.com. We were not disappointed! It is such a pleasure to find a restaurant that lives up to the expectations. The watermelon salad and the fried trout were total standouts in our meal. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.