The Farm and Fisherman
1120 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Farm and Fisherman
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thefarmandfisherman.com/
- Phone: (267) 687-1555
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joshua Lawler
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Farm to Table, Personal wines welcome
A word from The Farm and Fisherman
The Farm and Fisherman is a 30-seat white tablecloth BYOB featuring regional produce, meat and fish prepared by owner and Executive Chef Joshua Lawler, a former chef de cuisine at the quintessential farm-to-table restaurant Blue Hill at Stone Barns. At The Farm and Fisherman, Chef Lawler serves what he calls "snapshots of the seasons here in the Delaware Valley," incorporating interesting and unusual ingredients produced by area farmers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
The Farm and Fisherman - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
The Farm and Fisherman reviews from OpenTable diners
184 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (156)neighborhood gem (129)special occasion (104)romantic (80)hot spot (15)good for groups (4)great for brunch (3)scenic view (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)notable wine list (2)great for outdoor dining (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/22/2014We had a great night out at Farm & Fisherman. Highlights included the beer salad, the gnocchi and the farm egg. Great, attentive service and a cozy room. Totally worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is second to none. Service was wonderful!Tori928Dined on 11/22/2014My recommendation is to go to Farm and Fisherman HUNGRY. It is difficult to choose as every thing is so delicious, and I did end up overeating just a tad =;) My husband and I vowed next time to share the first two courses and get separate entrees. The past two times we ate here, we each ordered three courses and were a little too full. That said, I would be hard pressed to have to choose between the Beet "steak" and the Cauliflower salad for the first course... This is our (more mine than his) "go-to" restaurant for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImpressiveDanSNY123VIPDined on 11/19/2014Impressive service with knowledgeable staff who create a warm and inviting dining experience. The food is superbly executed. The detail and thought come through in each bite without seeming overwrought in any way. An amazing dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Overall ExperienceStasDined on 11/15/2014Wonderful service, great food, not a single negative thing to say. Went there celebrating an anniversary and the staff was even nice enough to light a candle with our dessert without me asking for anything, and did their best to accommodate a "private" table in the small space the dining floor spans. I would absolutely recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for an intimate, sophisticated meal in Philadelphia.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Focus on foodMERCVIPDined on 11/15/2014The restaurant is small! and tables are close together but it was still quiet and allowed easy conversation. The food was excellent. I was from out of town so it would have been nice if we could have had a glass of wine with our food. (Yes I had seen the BYOB but did not fun over a wine shop along the way).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingkennethDined on 11/15/2014Chef/Owner Josh Lawler was in the kitchen and his wife, Coleen, was in the front of the house when we dined on Saturday November 15th. All four courses were perfect, seasonal and special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tastes like nowhere elsepedroVIPDined on 11/14/2014the food served in this restaurant are like nowhere else i have dined. Every dish from small plate to entree has a combination of tastes that are very unique yet work in perfect combination to produce memorable flavors. When you read the descriptions on the menu you get a little nervous but when the dish is served the description comes to life in front of you and you can't believe the flavors that blend in your mouth to produce a party. The atmosphere is charming, the service impeccable and the price reasonable for the quality of the meal. BYOB for a restaurant of this quality in the city is unheard of!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrilliantDevineVIPDined on 11/11/2014Chef Josh really has out done himself, this small BYOB hidden gem is one not to toy with. each dish is better than the last. his attention to detail and his play on flavors is over whelming. The beat salad first course was mouth watering each bit opened up a new sensation to flavor i have yet to experience with food. Definielty check the menu out before you arrive so you can bring a bottle of wine to pair with the food. LOVE LOVE every single bite.Special Features:
- NOT TO MISS!TMBBicoastalDined on 11/8/2014I am amazed at the quality and imaginative blending of flavors that Josh has mastered at this premiere BYOB. I have dined here for more than a year and I have been treated to new ways to bring the farm to table passion to new heights. Being late fall, my experience this time centered around the final harvests of the year. My guest ordered silver dollar mushrooms stuffed with sausage with a sweet onion in a wonderful sauce and I enjoyed bay scallops that were perfectly prepared. My guest chose the local steak - also prepared in an amazing sauce and I savored a blackfish that was moist, flaky and also in an usual sauce. Colleen and the staff are knowledgeable and help ensure a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Farm-a-liciousHungryMan1108Dined on 11/7/2014We ordered 2 plates from all 3 different courses and there wasn't a bad dish in the bunch. All very well prepared and tasty! Highly recommended restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique SelectionsEllenDined on 10/25/2014The food was outstanding with many different (unique) selections.Special Features:
- FantasticDoublehDined on 10/24/2014Everything about our experience here was wonderful. The food was top notch, service excellent. The bloody beat steak, pork chop, cauliflower salad are mus haves. We honestly didn't have one disappointing dish all night and we had just about everything on the menu. Servers were knowledgeable and friendly.Special Features:
- NTVTXNDined on 10/23/2014Terrific service, excellent food. Quiet enough for pleasant conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Philadelphia GemBigEDined on 10/21/2014Cozy and full even mid-week signifies an exceptional foodie spot. Well thought-out table arrangement and effective noise abatement gives diners in this relatively small space a great, private-dining feel. Compact four-dish per course menu offers both a wide variety of unusual ingredients and perfect preparation enlivened with an exceptional light saucing on most dishes. Signiture beet steak dish a must. Beautifully constructed dinner courses carried through to heavenly desserts in both appearance and flavor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/19/2014love that it's boyb. the roasted beet and the soup looked wonderful (the table next to us ordered it). the cauliflower app was okay but the house-made sausage stuffed mushrooms were superb. as was the lentils and egg. our entrees were both excellent, the chicken and the hake with turnips, carrots and dates. small, quaint, and not too noisy. staff was very attentive with being overbearing.Special Features:
- A truly flavorful experience.BillDined on 10/18/2014We had such a wonderful taste experience. Every course was spot on and the beet steak was the highlight of the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently one of the city's bestDemandingDinerVIPDined on 10/17/2014No matter how often I visit, it is always a treat to look at the menu and find so many new selections that absolutely must be tried, and flawless execution ensures that every dish lives up to its promise. Be sure to bring some wine that matches the quality of the cooking and you will be in for a memorable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fine foodPeterDined on 10/17/2014For my anniversary we chose Farm and Fisherman for a first visit. I reserved through Open Table mentioning the occasion. When we arrived we requested a table to the side,but at first were denied. They then agreed to our wish. The service was attentive, not intrusive. The food offered some innovations, especially the beet steak served warm, and my pork with sausage. My wife had the pheasant in honor of her late hunter Dad and the mushroom first course. We were kept supplied with ice for our water, and chatted with the hostess/wife of the chef. The noise was tolerable at first but grew so that we were relieved to leave at 8:30. The seating is quite intimate and space limited. We got a hand-written note of congratulations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not overly impressedweliketoeatwellDined on 10/17/2014We dined here on 10/17. The menu was limited, but interesting. We tried the bloody beet steak, the sunchoke-pear soup and I had the pheasant. While I did enjoy the soup, the pheasant was a disappointment. It was overcooked and dry. Thanks to the small menu, we won't be returning to this place.
- GeorgieGeorgieDined on 10/15/2014One of the best meals I can remember. Everything on the menu was so tempting that I wanted to taste everything but that would take another few visits. Although the seating was a bit tight and the ambience a bit too noisy, all was forgotten once the food arrived. Service was leisurely but not slow. Even as first time visitors my husband and I felt very much at home.Special Features:
- Always excellent!EricVIPDined on 10/15/2014Returned to the Farm and the Fisherman for yet another awesome meal. Our server David was great and very knowledgable. Had an awesome meal. Only slight drawback was a large table near us of about 12 people which is a lot in that small space and made for rather high energy volume wise. Not a bad thing just hard to really chat with alot going on and the charm of this restaurant is that it is small and cozy. Keep up the great work and the awesome farm to table food!Special Features:
- Fabulous meal, great ambianceRittenhouse1700Dined on 10/11/2014The Farm and Fisherman is a gem. Had a lovely dinner there - the ambiance is wonderful. Like you're eating in someone's fancy living room. The small size of the space means it doesn't get too loud either. The food was delicious and the service was wonderful. Definitely a place to go!Special Features:
- outstanding dinner, service lackingmbf6288VIPDined on 10/11/2014We have been here before and loved everything. 4 for dinner Sat. Night. Had friends in from out of town. We each had a first course and an entrée. Mushrooms were fantastic, wife loved the soup. entrees, we had a variety at table. My pheasant had to go back, room temp at best. when retuned it was fantastic and everyone else enjoyed theirs. Service, we had a waiter and he was not attentive. long waits and considering the small footprint it was frustrating. From dessert menu to receiving and paying the final check, we didn't get dessert - very full, took 25 minutes. Way too long. Poor ending to a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/10/2014This was our first visit to this restaurant. We were greeted with a lukewarm "Do you have reservations?" followed by an awkward 2-3 minute kitchen conversation about seating arrangements. After this, the service was warmer but remained somewhat awkward. Wow, the bloody beetsteak (the signature dish) was truly wonderful! The vegetable offerings were fresh and multilayered. We were disappointed by the size of our entree, but the fish was perfectly prepared. Enjoyed the panna cotta.Special Features:
- JimmyDined on 10/9/2014The restaurant exceeded expectations. The actual menu was more imaginative and exciting than the computer version. The fare was delicious and artistically presented. I am recommending to all my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great local food. Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Nice location in a lovely part of the city. Our table was available about 20 minutes late but we were made comfortable waiting. We also were offered their specialty (Beet) that we hadn't ordered. It was amazing. Great local cheeses too.
- Disappointingunderwhelmed25Dined on 10/4/2014My husband and I were underwhelmed by the limited choices on the menu. Cauliflower and beets were featured in several of the selections. There was only one seafood item on the menu, a sea bass which turned out to be a 2"x3" piece surrounded by new potatoes in a heavy mayonnaise sauce with little or no seasoning. Using Fisherman in the name implies that there will be a variety of seafood choices. And the farm? The waitress didn't know where the "farms" that source them are located. One more thing...when will wait staff learn to not use the phrase "working on that" when addressing the customer. I do not "work" on my food. The prices were very inflated for such unsophisticated cooking and service.
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/3/2014The menu was small and perfectly executed. Every dish hit the mark. The staff was observant of needs and non intrusive. This was excellent!!Special Features:
- commamommacommamommaDined on 10/2/2014Excellent restaurant! And a BYOB!!! We ordered from the Prix Fixe menu (offered to Walnut Street Theater subscribers) - each dish was beautifully presented, creative, and delicious. Would highly recommend this restaurant!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodZoofoodieVIPDined on 9/24/2014Most of the food was fabulous as usual, but some a tad too salty this time (not a problem the last time I was there).Special Features:
- Cute but underwhelmingBWHCDined on 9/23/2014While a nice little neighborhood get of a place, the food was more of a mishmash of ingredients than it was fully furnished concepts and one item was so salty it was inedible for one of our party. Overall, cute but we won't be going back.Special Features:
- Quintessential BYOBPhoodadelphiaVIPDined on 9/20/2014F&F has remained true to its roots and is one of the true BYOBs left in town. What I mean by that is it is a 30-person neighborhood spot that fills up every day of the week, but they have not tried to upgrade to a bigger, more central location or try to rush customers in order to seat more people each night. Above all of that is a unique, thoughtful menu that makes for limited conversation during the meal. Expect to only look up from your food to say "wow." This was my third time at F&F and they continue to offer seasonal cuisine that, despite a 13-15 item menu, contains a strong range of fish, poultry, beef options. My only complaint would be that the air conditioner was right above our table and seemed to cool off our food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!AlexandraM529Dined on 9/20/2014We are from CT and when we found this place on our short visit to Philly, we were excited. This place is great. We don't have BYOB in CT so it's a real treat when we do find one. The food was outstanding. My husband had 3 courses and a dessert and I had 2 courses and a dessert. All so reasonably priced! And so tasty. We easily would have spent double had we gone to a place in CT. I love this place. 5 stars hands down!Special Features:
- fresh food and varied menujojottVIPDined on 9/18/2014have been here at least 7-8 times. never had a bad meal here. menu changes according to produce. blood beet steak and fresh farm eggs are two of our favorites. small restaurant with limited seatings. so reservation is a must, and well in advance.Special Features:
- FantasticSickNeabockDined on 9/17/2014Celebrated our anniversary at the Farm and Fisherman and was nothing short of amazing. Food was spot on and hit every note on our palates. Service was top notch, attentive but not stuffy. We always recommend this wonderful byob to friends and wish we lived closer so we could visit more often. Thank you to the team for an awesome night.Special Features:
- Well intentioned but uninspiredJJPPVIPDined on 9/14/2014The food here pulls the right strings - local food, small, BYOB, nice ambience, farm to table etc. but is disappointingly bland. Had the poached egg appetizer with almost no taste past a powerful tomato based sauce. The prime rib was surprisingly boring (didn't seem marbled enough) and served on local brown rice that had no taste whatsoever. They had a good cheese plate at the end with a delicious NJ cheddar but everything cooked was a waste of calories.Special Features:
- Flavorable and FabulousliveforfoodDined on 9/14/2014My family and I enjoyed a wonderful meal at the Farm and Fisherman and will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- farm to tableAndrewDined on 9/13/2014excellent food with seasonal menu. attentive service, quiet and elegant dining roomSpecial Features:
- Yum!4handsDined on 9/13/2014Farm to table drew us to the restaurant! Our server opened up explaining this and telling us the farm locations in and around Philly, which was great. The food was outstanding. The service was wonderful - we interacted with a few different people and each was warm and welcoming. It's a really small place, but never felt "crowded" even though it was full from the time we walked in to the time we left two and a half hours later. We will be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The new waiter is a delightPHMikeyVIPDined on 9/13/2014We eat at Farm & Fisherman fairly often and the food is always wonderful. But this last time we were also repeatedly delighted by a new server. She somehow looked and acted and seemed as though she had just stepped out of an excellent cafe near Rue Mouffetard, or at least a direct flight from Paris. She is a true gem and F&F should do whatever it takes to keep her.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.