The Farm and Fisherman
1120 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Farm and Fisherman
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thefarmandfisherman.com/
- Phone: 2676871555
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Joshua Lawler
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Farm to Table, Personal wines welcome
A word from The Farm and Fisherman
The Farm and Fisherman is a 30-seat white tablecloth BYOB featuring regional produce, meat and fish prepared by owner and Executive Chef Joshua Lawler, a former chef de cuisine at the quintessential farm-to-table restaurant Blue Hill at Stone Barns. At The Farm and Fisherman, Chef Lawler serves what he calls "snapshots of the seasons here in the Delaware Valley," incorporating interesting and unusual ingredients produced by area farmers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Farm and Fisherman reviews from OpenTable diners
142 reviews since March 25 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (114)neighborhood gem (84)special occasion (67)romantic (52)hot spot (20)good for groups (7)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Best meal I've had in awhileJustineDined on 7/18/2014Everything we had was delicious. Flavors were fresh & vibrant. Will definitely be back in fall and winter to try the other seasonal menus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent special treatgrazie2VIPDined on 7/18/2014This BYOB special restaurant seats 30 very fortunate diners at a time with first rate service, outstandingly prepared locally grown special dinners prepared by someone who truly knows how to plan menus and cook them to perfection. We hope to return to Philadelphia from our home in Baltimore many times sothat we can dine here.Special Features:
- Best Meal EverVitaminDDined on 7/18/2014No exaggeration. I thought it was the best meal I've ever had and my wife agreed. We will go back and we have been recommending it to anyone who will listen.Special Features:
- crazy goodMikeVIPDined on 7/17/2014After dining here about 4 times I still get blown away by the food, like the first time. The bloody beet steak is a must for ordering. It's SO good. I loved everything we all shared at my table. Service was impeccable too. Great food memories every visit.Special Features:
- Amazingly good!FoodieDined on 7/15/2014The food was outstanding! The staff was attentive and very knowledgable about the menu.Special Features:
- continues to be greatcn71Dined on 7/13/2014Excellent food prepared with great imagination. Beet steak superb. Spaghetti unusual; lobster broth sauce rich and tasty. Chef's skill with fresh,local ingredients is amazing.Special Features:
- Very nice placeRayRDined on 7/12/2014This was a very nice place for a quiet dinner. The service was very good and the food was excellent.Special Features:
- Excellent MealOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014One of the best meals I've had in Philly...True gourmet restaurant...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!DanRVIPDined on 7/5/2014We go every time we visit Philly, and it never disappoints. The food is excellent, great seasonal ingredients, creatively and expertly prepared. This is our favorite restaurant right now, and we have been to many great places. It is BYOB, so don't forget to pick up some wine suitable to the occasion.Special Features:
- Delicious DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/28/2014I've been here plenty of times and of course, as always, this time did not disappoint. The food is always amazing, the service is outstanding. The bloody beet steak is my favorite and each time I come here I HAVE TO order it. It literally melts in your mouth. So good!Special Features:
- Fantastic Farm-to-Table RestaurantAMHessDined on 6/28/2014F&F is a small eatery with a seasonal menu; they get much of their produce from small farms within Philadelphia. The quality of the food is top-notch; everything is fresh and bursting with flavor and most of the menu items are quite creative. The staff are very knowledgeable and willing to answer questions and discuss the menu at length, which we appreciated. Portions and prices are moderate; I had three courses for about $40 and was comfortably full. The only odd bit was that as soon as we finished our food, they asked us to go outside to finish our wine because there were people waiting for our table (there were several empty tables). Aside from that, the experience was terrific, but it ended on a strange note.Special Features:
- Different and interestingM4REELDined on 6/27/2014Probably the most innovative, interesting meal we've had in recent years in Philadelphia. Great care to each dish of each course, handsomely presented, with refined service. A small gem.Special Features:
- Great ambience, service & foodBarbZDined on 6/24/2014The four of us all enjoyed our food. The bloody beet steak is outstanding! The service was professional, knowledgeable and very friendly. Being a BYOB restaurant is a great plus. We would definitely go back to The Farm and Fisherman.Special Features:
- BirthdayDined on 6/22/2014Having reviewed the 6/12 menu online, my husband was looking forward to a beef dinner - as usual. To his surprise, the 6/22 menu offered lamb, duck, tilefish, and fluke, none of which he ever eats. He went with the duck and would order it again. "It was delicious." Our appetizers of warm soup of greens and my smoked sturgeon were wonderful blends of complementary flavors. Everything was a success. Our personable server was helpful giving specific descriptions of dishes. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/22/2014Waitress was inexperienced. Couldn't describe the dishes or differences between fish types without going back to kitchen each time. Lamb was more fat than meat.
- Still Excellent!JgsjrVIPDined on 6/22/2014For upscale creative cooking this is the spot to go after at trip to the theater. The soups, apps. and entrees are always special and well prepared. We have been a number of times and F&F never disappoints.Special Features:
- Only so-soamb1VIPDined on 6/18/2014I was under-impressed but I think they are VERY impressed with themselves!!! There is no-one to greet you and I stood feeling silly in the small space for 5 minutes waiting. Myself and 3 other guests requested a specific table upon arrival and despite the fact that the restaurant was only 1/3 full the request was declined. In my case the requested table remained empty the entire time. The waiter seemed annoyed by questions about the menu ("what is amaranth" - "a leaf") I have never written a bad review but the attitude for a small BYOB was amazingSpecial Features:
- SUPERB FOODBOBBIEDined on 6/17/2014FOOD IS INNOVATIVE AND DELICIOUS WITHOUT BEING WAY, WAY OUT THERE. JUST LOVE IT.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/14/2014Great beet app but the entrees were definitely lack-luster. Ordered the bass and steak and both lacked seasoning and were not prepared well. The fish was not flaky but had a gelatin texture and the no one asked how the steak was to be cooked so it was over cooked. Ultimately very disappointed. Furthermore, the tap water tasted a little funny as well.
- Going Downhill? Hope notMcNultyDined on 6/13/2014We have been to F and F a bunch over the years. We have always found it to be a wonderful restaurant with great food and impeccable service - a true go to byob - one of the best in the city. On this recent visit, we noticed the cast of characters have changed a bit. The experience was very blah. The service was mediocre. The wait staff seemed like they didn't care one bit about our experience. The food was no where near the level it usually is. We had five dishes and nothing stood out and provided. As I mentioned earlier, in the past everything seemed to stand out. Hopefully this isn't the direction they are heading. I hope we just experienced an off night. But we're a bit skeptical.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousFooodieDined on 6/13/2014This restaurant has food that looks amazing and tastes amazing. Not your average place... Fancy food, unique flavors, but we are every bite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/13/2014As always, Josh and Colleen do an incredible job. From soup, appetizers through main course, the service was impeccable and every morsel danced together like a well-practiced folk dance. It's always a pleasure, made all the more reasonable by being a BYO.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/8/2014Small BYO, store front, just perfect for excellent, creative local food.Special Features:
- WonderfulBb56Dined on 6/8/2014Enjoyed a special birthday dinner here. Everyone's food was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/5/2014Food was very good; however, it has a limited menue. Didn't care for how close the tables were. Difficult to have a private conversation.Special Features:
- TA2013Dined on 5/31/2014Have been here a dozen times in the past six months. Wonderful food, great service and pleasant atmosphere. Like you are eating in someone's home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentSuburbanTravelerDined on 5/25/2014Traveled an hour, more than worth the drive. Excellent food and flair. A wonderful place for an impressive dining experience. It doesn't come cheap, but food this good is worth every dime.Special Features:
- YUMShelleyVIPDined on 5/25/2014As always, The Farm and Fisherman, with Chef Owners Josh Lawler and Coleen Lawler and an exceptionally talented staff -- front and back of house, offer cuisine that is fresh, local, innovative and a menu that is always changing. A staple of my husband's and mine- we dine there as often as once a week with the exception of this week when we will be dining there twice! Why? Because the menu was so intriguing that I needed to dine x2 in order to enjoy the uniqueness of his offerings before the season changed and the menu changed along with the season. Ramps, fiddlehead ferns, early peas, morel mushrooms... and that was just some of the ingredients in a Spring Soup that we lapped down. My review, I give a big thumbs up and an OMG YUM!!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/21/2014I was very disappointed in the food on this visit. I have always loved this restaurant, but we had a poor meal this time.
- We will go again and againOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/20/2014Lived up to its reputation. Not for the pizza or those that expect fries on the side crowd. No TV over the bar and no bar. A restaurant that makes its money selling very good food not overpried drinks.Special Features:
- Fresh and deliciousDeelongDined on 5/20/2014Had the famous bloody beet, large enough to share with my friend. Cheeks and jowls a bit scant, though incredibly tender and flavorful. Jowls described as crispy and "bacon like" but was more salt pork consistency-- bacon before it crisps. Waitress was super accommodating with allowing time to decide, opening our wine, refilling water, but not smothering us. My second time here, very consistent.Special Features:
- Great Farm to Table FindtnttvlggourmetDined on 5/16/2014Creative menu using the freshest ingredients. The beet appetizer was amazing as was the poached cod! And being from DC and not having BYOB's it was quite a treat to match the menu with a nice wind from our cellar! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- firstname.lastname@example.orgOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/16/2014Colleen and josh r always wonderful. The food is inventive delicious and perfectly prepared. They care for their patrons and it is appreciated by us all. Love to go there one of my favs in the city .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Perfect Dinner !!!bjp1Dined on 5/15/2014Cant wait to go back. The staff is so friendly and the food is amazing! I can't say enough good things about this place.Special Features:
- Always a favoriteyummDined on 5/8/2014I have been to the Farm and the Fisherman several times and so far every time I leave and am in awe. Everything is so delicious and put together so well! This is a perfect date night spot, however I recommend bringing a few people who love to share, because its always hard to pick from the ever changing menu. You never want to miss a thing.Special Features:
- Great foodchrisDined on 5/6/2014We had a fabulous meal, the three of us passed our plates around and we all liked everything. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- momgalDined on 5/4/2014We took our son here to celebrate his 26th birthday after my husband and I had discovered it in the winter. We all enojoyed the meal, the ambiance and the service. My son is moving from Philly next month so we were glad he was able to experience The Farm and the Fisherman before he left.Special Features:
- DisappointedMB99Dined on 4/22/2014We were unimpressed by the entrees. We usually love the farm to table concept, but the meal was disappointing in its presentation, as well as its flavor. I suppose it could be because fresh ingredients are not yet in season. Additionally, the wait staff was not familiar with the menu and were unable to answer questions about its preparation. We also wished they had been more attentive. Sadly, we cannot recommend the restaurant.
- Get Your Mojo BackOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/20/2014I have considered this restaurant a neighborhood gem. Needless to say I was disappointed with our recent meal. First, website not up to date- a 3 course was offered on the site which apparantly was incorrect. The pasta was too salty and both the lamb and beef were tough. What always appealed to me about the F and F was meticulous attention to detail. This was lacking. Hopefully this is not due to opening a branch in So. Jersey and diluting the talent.
- Definitely Fresh!MmmMmmGoodDined on 4/19/2014My fiancé and I were excited to dine at the Farm and Fisherman. This restaurant came highly recommended as an "open-minded" place to eat. The food without question was delicious, tasteful and FRESH! I thought my prawns were gonna swim away. My fiancé would have liked his steak a bit less rare, but was not asked his preference. Great atmosphere...quaint. We were seated right away and our courses were delivered in a timely manner. My only complaint would be that our server had to be asked each time to refill my wine glass (it was being held on ice). It was a busy Saturday night, so I'm a bit more lenient, lol.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.