The Factory Kitchen
1300 Factory Place
Los Angeles, CA 90013Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
The Factory Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thefactorykitchen.com/
- Phone: (213) 996-6000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm.
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Chef Angelo Auriana
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from The Factory Kitchen
Factory Kitchen is a local traditional Italian restaurant in the heart of the Arts District in Downtown Los Angeles. Factory is the product of life long friendship of Restauranteur Matte Ferdinandi and Chef Angelo Auriana. Chef angelo prepares dishes using fresh seasonal and locally sourced ingredients. The approachable menu at Factory highlights the simplicity of traditional local recipes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
The Factory Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
The Factory Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
311 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (263)hot spot (164)neighborhood gem (155)special occasion (84)good for groups (78)notable wine list (74)vibrant bar scene (56)great for lunch (54)romantic (32)late-night find (22)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/25/2014Was there for lunch, first time there, and would definitely return. Had minestrone and the pasta pillow dish with the almond pesto sauce, and it was everything it was cracked up to be. Fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Night at Factory KitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2014Had a lovely night out at Factory Kitchen. We arrived a little early for our reservation so we decided to grab a cocktail at the bar. The SFactory29 I think it was called, was delicious and our bartender recommended food while we waited. Our waiter attentive and really let us enjoy our meal, timing out the different dishes well. We had a salad with goat cheese and dates, a wonderful pasta filled with prosciutto, and pork belly. Everything was delicious. The goat cheese just melted in your mouth. The mild flavor of the pasta and the burst of flavor from the prosciutto inside was wonderful. Would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great once againGoldyDined on 11/22/2014The service here is "Tops" and the food is well prepared and tasty. We have been here about 8 - 10 times and it is always very good. The pastas are divine. What I like best is that you can have a conversation here. Many of the newer DTLA restaurants are over the top too loud. Factory Kitchen does not blare music, and the sound level is perfect - a busy buzz but you do not need to text your table mates to communicate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- conaisseurDined on 11/21/2014this was a repeat visit and the food was again excellent. Our arrival was delayed by heavy traffic but our table was ready. We were told that we had to be 'out' in 1 hour. We took offense to this remark and were NOT pleased by the attitude of Aidan at the front desk. His manner needs adjustment !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food !DahntahnerDined on 11/18/2014I had the opportunity to have dinner at Factory Kitchen, twice in the same week. Both times, they were great experiences ! The food was fresh and excellent, the waiters and bartenders were friendly and helpful, careful that we were being served properly. The beer list could be expanded, and it can get a bit noisy in there.Special Features:
- Worth a Trip into Industrial LAOETSBDined on 11/17/2014A number of people told us that Factory Kitchen was great. The food was very good and creative. The restaurant is a nice size - not too large. It is in an interesting part of LA - not sure why it is located in that section of downtown LA, but the restaurant is very good. We would definitely go back. The pastas alone would be worth the drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love. Love. Love.MeliVIPDined on 11/15/2014This place was awesome...Had dinner on a Saturday night with another couple and we loved it!! The vibe was great. There crowd was an eclectic group of beautiful hipsters of all ages. :) The service was excellent. We arrived an hour early and had drinks at the bar first...the cocktails were really good....and then were seated EXACTLY on time and had dinner. They are famous for their handkerchief almond pesto pasta....ummm....we ordered one...finished our dinner...then ordered another one. Enough Said.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Los Angeles FindTKD1Dined on 11/15/2014I went to Factory Kitchen for the first time this past Saturday and what a surprise! I honestly had not heard that much about it and didn't know what to expect but it was amazing. Fantastic service, great cocktail and dinner menu. I did not have wine, but my husband did and was very pleased with the selection. The Hankerchef Pasta is spectacular, as was everything else we had - Chickpea Fritters, Burrata & Greens and the Steak. We were very pleased with every element of this restaurant - easy parking, very accomodating staff (we arrived a half hour early and they were able to seat us), delicious food and drinks, and very pleasant dining room - comfortable, buzzy but not loud and well designed. A hidden gem. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/15/2014The food was excellent! The choices were great. The portions were significant. All courses were outstanding. ONe of the best restaurants we have been to in a long time. We will definitely come again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved It!MegamomSeattleVIPDined on 11/14/2014Loved in Italy last month, so kinda know what is authentic in Some parts of Italy. The Factory Kitchen was a close reminder of our Italian meals! Started with Prosecco and finished with Panna Cotta. Our party of 3 shared the Procuitto plate (amazing) and their signature handkerchief pasta, which was freshly made on display and slathered in a pesto sauce. My Dover sole was fresh, simple and came with spinach and sauce. Also sampled the steak, which was tasty and another in our party had the bizzeti???? Pasta dish of cheese filled pasta circles. Wonderful wine choices both by the glass or bottle. Valey parking is $5 and your car is " protected" but honestly the street parking would be fine, given the activity of diners in front of this former factory. I would go again in large part to the attentive service and fast delivery of food. We had a 7 pm reservation & arrived early due to EZ traffic and was seated immediately!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful birthday lunch at Factory KitchenNancyDined on 11/13/2014The food and service are so good here! It's so nice taking a group here and being confident everyone will have a great time and delicious food. Service couldn't be better, even when they are busy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- had to wait 45 minutes for our tableroccanDined on 11/12/2014we booked through open table for 8 pm our party was ready to be sat at 8:05pm, host told us to wait at the bar. by 8:20pm no one gave us an update about our status. my gf ask the host who quickly replied "you're the next" at 8:30pm manager showed up apologizing, we were offered a dessert (at the beginning of our meal?). we sat at 8:45pm and eventually comped us appetizers and desserts. It never happened before at this place which I really like and I consider one of the best downtown. I was really disappointed because it was the first time I invited more friends along. The host should have done a better job time managing and not giving out tables to walkinsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best everOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/12/2014Wednesday dinner with 3 friends. One of the best restaurant meals in memory. We shared two appetizers and shared tastes of 4 entrees and they were all great, not good. Who knew you could even make a beet pie? Slight downgrade for noise level though these days apparently restaurants are supposed to be noisy. Good wine options though perhaps a tick pricey but where are you going to find an affordable 1999 Barbaresco these days? Still a scuzzy part of town so be prepared: we drove through the very depressing homeless encampment on East 6th coming from downtown on our way to a gourmet meal....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ELAnDined on 11/12/2014The food is prepared fresh and the cheeses and the pesto sauce they have is one of a kind....One does not find this food at other Italian restaurants in Los Angeles ! the Ligurian oil and mandilli pasta they serve is delicious !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Arts District StarSamolocalVIPDined on 11/12/2014In the expanding Downtown Los Angeles Arts District, Factory Kitchen stands out for beautiful homemade pastas, comfy old factory cement floors and pillars, interesting entrees (e.g., perfect beef cheeks), nice Italian wine list and professional service. Not to mention the co-owner who works the front of the room like only a charming Italian can. Not cheap, but worth it and with easy valet parking to boot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodGeobad11VIPDined on 11/10/2014The food was amazing. I think this is one of my new favorite restaurants in LA. Service was great. My entire dining experience was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flawless Factorylifes2short4fastfoodDined on 11/10/2014Dinner at The Factory Kitchen was a gourmet delight. Warm and welcoming staff and service, was out-shined only by the amazing cuisine. We had the leeks with chickpea fries, the beet casserole, focaccina, the handkerchief pasta (of course!), Veal Short Ribs, and for dessert, the bigne (banana pudding-filled cream puffs with butterscotch sauce). While the handkerchief pasta is their signature dish and is deservedly considered one of the best pasta dishes in town (because the paper-thin pasta practically melts in your mouth), everything that we ate was equally as scrumptious. It was a special occasion, made even MORE special by the wonderful, gracious Owner and staff. and of course, by the delectable food which they prepared.Special Features:
- One of my favorite spots in LA nowLuminousDined on 11/10/2014One of my favorite restaurants in LA now; reminds me of being in Italy. Foccacina (tradizionale) is now our fav to have each time -- light and airy w/ a zing of soft cheese and bite of arugula. What a way to open your taste buds. Pasta the real deal like in Italy - great bite to the al dente, not over-sauced. Wish they had even more choices, they are so good. Octopus and squid salad was colorful, flavorful, the freshest. Nice wines by the glass. Cannolis that Tony Soprano would LOVE. Busy but not so noisy you can't hear each other. Very attentive service. Perfect lunch -- and a great option if you don't want to fight freeways in the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic foodlovemydogsVIPDined on 11/8/2014food was amazing - esp. enjoyed the flatbread with mushrooms, pasta with duck ragu, and prosciutto on the crispy dough. only issue is the wine list, which largely consists of unfamiliar expensive Italian wines, so we brought our own California wines to share (@ $20 each for corkage fee, max 2 bottles).Special Features:
- Best Pasta EverRaviDined on 11/7/2014Great food. Only issue was that we arrived at 8pm and were seated at 10pm having a 8:30pm reservation.Special Features:
- Trendy downtownFoodmavenVIPDined on 11/7/2014The restaurant has been so touted that it was a bit disappointing. Good salads. Clams and mussels only had clam shells. A few mussels had been put into a delicious broth but we expected mussels in shells . Mandilli was unusual but flavor not as vibrant as hopedSpecial Features:
- 2diamondsglendalecaDined on 11/7/2014the restaurant goes against the trend! they do not pour a pound of salt on your food before you are served. everywhere i go the in thing for the cook/chef to cover the food with salt so you will order more drinks from the bar! paul max glendale, caSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NadyVIPDined on 11/6/2014Appetizers were great. Had to send back the duck.the server was very nice about it and agreed it wasn't ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ThorTyr24ThorTyr24Dined on 11/5/2014For us the food was just a bit too salty and a bit too oily. Honestly cannot remember the last time I thought about salt and pepper when I was at such a highly touted restaurant! The cocktails were good but shy on the alcohol. Our waiter was great, blonde bearded man. The water servers were too much.
- friendly kitchen :)joebDined on 11/4/2014saw sunchokes on the menu, and asked if they had enough to make me a little sunchoke side dish. yup! it was quite tasty and i appreciated the extra effort put into doing that for us.Special Features:
- Stupid timidityMoosemanVIPDined on 11/4/2014After dreaming about the handkerchief pasta for weeks and weeks, we went back for a Tuesday lunch. Instead of the ethereal dish I remembered, I was served a gummy, stuck-together pile of lukewarm pasta that I should have immediately sent back. Like a fool, I ate it. That's not the restaurant's fault; I'm sure they graciously would have made a replacement portion that lived up to their standards. The calf's liver was cooked medium rare, which was too rare for me; at least I sent that back for additional cooking. My wife thoroughly enjoyed her anchovies starter, and her squid and octopus dish. All in all, the memory of the first time was better than the reality of the second time, but we would still go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SenorEdDined on 11/3/2014I was excited to finally eat here. The food did not disappoint. The server, somm, and bussers were attentive and on point. But we were sat at the worst table in the house by the front door and next to a credenza that the servers and hostess were in and out of all night. We got the worst table despite a reservation made in ample time and arriving thirty minutes early. I guess we didn't look the part. I may try again as a walk in and sit at the bar.
- Factory KitchenJRLAVIPDined on 11/2/2014I've been through the menu here and every dish a winner. The pastas are truly perfect as are the thin crust pizzas. Wine list is full of well priced suprises. Love this placeSpecial Features:
- First timeefxguy2000VIPDined on 11/1/2014Food was excellent. Our only complaint was our waiter. It wasn't that he was rude, but just no personality. After we told him it was our first time he said nothing about what to try until asked.Special Features:
- Another Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/1/2014We had another excellent dinner at The Factory Kitchen. The mandilli di seta and modenesi pastas were both excellent as was the fish selection we had. Can't recall what it was, probably the cod. Both desserts we tried were excellent: the tiramisu had a delicious chocolate cake base which gave it texture and didn't get mushy. Better than the usual tiramisu. We also had the cannoli, always good here. The only quibble was my cocktail which I didn't care for. Was very sweet. They did swap it out for a proseco which was excellent. High noise level, however, most restaurants have similar noise levels these days.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding dinnerRazmatazDined on 10/30/2014Excellent food, great ambience, wonderful service. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Food Wow in the Artists DistrictScottDinesDined on 10/30/2014Dined at The Factory Kitchen before heading tho a jazz show at Blue Whale in Little Toyoko, and all of my guests were wowed by the food, atmosphere and service. The neighborhood is up-incoming, so look past that, and experience a funky-fun dining venue with an exquisite menu. And the desserts! You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENTkdcalderDined on 10/29/2014The person seating us was horrific. He removed my wine glass without asking.I complained that I wasn't finished. He disputed my claim but obliged by returning with a partially filled glass telling me I was getting a "bonus". The food was outstanding, sublime. The presentation simple but elegant. The atmosphere is hip, fun and bright. The waitstaff, polite with the aforementioned exception, however we were repeatedly asked if they could clear one or more plates with food remaining on them. We concluded there were far too many employees working overtime to justify their jobs. We'd give the place another try as the restaurant is new. Our head waiter apologized profusely and was very gracious.Special Features:
- Great Food, Service, AmbianceJillEVIPDined on 10/28/2014I have nothing but high praise for The Factory Kitchen. The food was magnificent, the service was attentive and knowledgeable, and even the bartender was helpful and creative. The special pasta with white truffles was to die for, seriously, we all wanted to go back today, just for that!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/27/2014Pasta lived up to its reputation, outstanding! Other dishes also hit the mark.Special Features:
- Great Downtown Hot Spotvino4lifeVIPDined on 10/26/2014The Factory Kitchen was recommended by a friend and exceeded our expectations. The pastas were fantastic as was the Osso Buco. The staff was very friendly and responsive. I would not recommend as a location for a quiet, intimate meal, but it shines as an off-the-beaten path hot spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TrendyDuckieVIPDined on 10/25/2014We were glad to find this hip little place for supper after a Disney Hall concert. They were out of several options when we arrived but everyone was happy with the meal. Only suggestion we had was to cut the sodium content. Even the salad dressing was too salty.Special Features:
- Consistently Good!BigOnionDined on 10/25/2014Great setting and service and food is always good!Special Features:
- FlowerVIPDined on 10/25/2014Fantastic authentic rustic italian with top notch ingredients. Attentive service. NYC ambiance with crowds and high noise level but worth it.Special Features:
- Straight-forward awesomenesslovethefactorykitchenDined on 10/25/2014This was my 5th time at The Factory Kitchen and they never disappoint! The food is always superb, surprising and traditional at the same time. Matteo always remembers me and Chef Angelo always comes over to say hello and chat for a minute. Must-haves on the menu in my opinion are the Peperu, the Traditionale flatbread, and of course, the Mandilli pasta - truly sublime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.