The Exchange Pub + Kitchen
118 W Main Street
New Albany, IN 47150Neighborhood:
New Albany, IN
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
The Exchange Pub + Kitchen
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://exchangeforfood.com/
- Phone: 8129486501
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Saturday: 1:00pm - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Gastro Pub, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Robert Temple
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: A special occasion calls for a memorable space. The Stables above The Exchange is a completely private entertaining space that can accommodate up to 35 seated guests or 50 guests for standing receptions. Named after the original building, Shrader Stable and Livery, the room features original wainscoting, arched windows, exposed brick, a private bar and restroom, A/V ready 60” LCD television, and wonderful views of the Sherman Minton Bridge. It is the ideal location for daytime and evening events, wine tastings, holiday parties, and cocktail receptions, one that your won’t forget. Wonderful atmosphere, superior service and amazing menus all come together to help create your distinctive event. Whether it’s an intimate dinner for six, an elegant celebration for 30, a cocktail event for 50 or even taking over our restaurant, our private dining coordinator can assist you in hosting your next private event.
- Private Party Contact: Nikki Hall 5023382944
- Entertainment: Live music every Friday & Saturday evening from 7pm-10pm
A word from The Exchange Pub + Kitchen
Housed in a historic Italianate style building which was constructed in 1875, The Exchange pub + kitchen is owner Ian Hall’s take on a warm & casual neighborhood gastropub. Featuring a 15 seat bar, 120 seat dining room, 16 seat outdoor cafe, & a 50 seat private dining space, The Exchange pub + kitchen offers many different dining options. Executive Chef Robert Temple's rotating seasonal menus are the focus of The Exchange pub + kitchen. Locally sourced products & scratch ingredients are the emphasis of the kitchen. Guests will enjoy views of the open kitchen as the chefs showcase their culinary skills. The bar program is highlighted by American craft breweries with 12 rotating draught selections and 12 by the bottle options. The bar staff creates cocktails made from house-made syrups, bitters and premium spirits. The wine portfolio focuses on smaller boutique wines, giving guests the chance to indulge in something new & exciting. The food & beverage menus rotate seasonally.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Exchange Pub + Kitchen - Best Restaurants in New Albany, IN ›
The Exchange Pub + Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
27 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (20)fit for foodies (18)good for groups (14)special occasion (11)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (8)great for lunch (6)late-night find (3)great for outdoor dining (3)romantic (3)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- The BestfoodloverVIPDined on 10/6/2014Consistent with their service & food. Always freshly prepared with an 'edge'. Fish & chips, soup the salads are all excellent. I actually go out of my way to dine here. Certainly not overpriced, very reasonable. Love the menu change with the Seasons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nonameDined on 9/27/2014Excellent food and service. Prices could be a bit lower. Would love to see a daily fish special on menu. Not a huge choice for non meat eaters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tough chickenOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014I asked for the chicken to be sliced thin, it was sliced, but still very chewy. most of it was tough, and hard to chew. everything else was excellent. I am a big fan, and send many to your restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/5/2014We had a group of 10 and everyone thought the food and the service was excellent. Our waitress, Paula was extremely attentive and very knowledgeable. Great service. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SatisfiedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014We made reservations for an anniversary dinner and it was an outstanding dinner. Good Food and good service.Special Features:
- Now one of my favorite restaurants!NJGirlDined on 8/25/2014This restaurant has an interesting menu, and the food and service are excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just awesome foodSkilletDined on 8/11/2014and service. Plan to go often when able. Perfect find for myself being new in the area and would recommend highly.Special Features:
- It was just ok.squirrelDined on 8/11/2014It was just ok. Sadly, we were not impressed. I made a lunch reservation for 2 & arrived before my friend. The hostess was cold and seated me without mentioning the other person joining my party. In 3-5 minutes my friend arrived and the hostess tried to seat her in another area, assuring her that's where she had seated the rest of her party. Our waiter was friendly. I tried the sandwich he recommended, the chicken club, and didn't care for it. I ate about half of it. It wasn't horrible, but I wouldn't order it again. Strange flavor combo & soggy bottom bun . My friend ordered a chicken salad sandwich and was disappointed at the small amount of chicken salad. For a $30 lunch, it was lacking. We may try again for dinner sometime.
- Love this placeCabanagrl05Dined on 8/8/2014When we want a special evening with gourmet type food, the Exchange is the place to go. Great service, amazing food and the beer selection is superb. Can't go wrong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodfoodgoodplaceDined on 8/4/2014Enjoyed the atmosphere and the food. It is a good place for a relaxed, moderately priced meal in a friendly, interesting locationSpecial Features:
- Take the trip over the bridge!loves2dineDined on 8/2/2014My husband and I loved the interior of this new upscale pub restaurant. We rarely make the trip over the bridge to Indiana but saw photos of some items from the menu and decided to try it. We were so glad we did. Really, it only took about 20 minutes to get there from our home in the southeast end of Louisville on a Saturday afternoon. The service was excellent. Our server was very informed, confident, and accommodating. We ordered the Korean BBQ Baby Back Ribs to start and wow, they were really excellent...a new crave for sure. We then shared a watermelon, arugula, bacon, and gorgonzola salad which was good. For entrees my husband had the salmon and I had the scallops. Both were delicious. We will be back with friends soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cornerstone of New Albany sceneAppleGuyDined on 7/23/2014I really like visiting The Exchange and have been surprised and wowed pretty regularly. I find the relaxed but professional staff helpful and the food is a good mix of unique tastes and classic regulars.Special Features:
- Great experience!FoodieMommaDined on 7/18/2014We made reservations online, arrived 20 mins early, and we're seated 10 minutes later. Our server was excellent- friendly & very knowledgable! We started with the beer cheese, which was good. Then my husband had the steak frites & I had the fish & chips. Both were excellent! And there was live music that was also wonderful. We would definitely recommend this place to friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014The service was good, but the prices have gone up too much for us. We used to dine frequently at the precious location and loved it. It's much too noisy and some entrees should come with more varieties of food. For example the shrimp gnocchi was 20 dollars and had nothing else served with it. We ordered coffee after dinner and it was cold and left over. She had to bring us new cups of coffee 3 times to get it right. Coffee should be fresh every time you serve it. We probably won't be back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/7/2014Waiter seemed to rush us. He took plates filled sugar bowl while we were eating. Then he went out back for a long time. I had to get him to get a to go box.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceCarolmwDined on 6/30/2014We had a large group of 11. Our waiter was great. The service was fast and the food was really good. They were busy, but not packed so they didn't rush us through our dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EXCELLENTfoodloverVIPDined on 6/30/2014Great food, wine list, well stocked bar. Wonderful service, clean, fresh. Menu outstanding. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 14 reviews are from the The Exchange Pub + Kitchen reviews archive.
- vswrDined on 6/25/2014We enjoyed the food and the service. The ambience was good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This Foodie LOVED itfoodieloveDined on 6/18/2014I've been calling myself a foodie since the late 80's and I'm a wonderful home cook - I love old building redos and good food so this place is the bomb - noise level was a little loud but everything else is spot on... I will be back - the down side is that it is not near me I have to go to New Albany Indiana to get there but the up side if that is that it is in a wonderful old brick space that is fantastic you must try itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bec317Dined on 6/11/2014Quick service, great food & drinks. Cucumber mint soda is amazingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice surprise in the downtownHoosierScienceDined on 6/9/2014After two lunches, the exchange proved to be a nice place. The fish and chips is an excellent dish, ruben sandwich was excellent and tasty. The CHicken pot pie could be tweaked, it was a bit soupy. Overall a great experience.Special Features:
- tj19Dined on 5/20/2014Food was not all that great. Fish tasted like Long John Silvers. Tables are too close together. A little pricey.
- The Exchange (our third visit)RitaDined on 5/19/2014We happened by accident on this restaurant as we were staying across the river from Louisville. It is fantastic beyond words, from the innovative cocktails (try "The Cocktail with No Name") to the creative salads and entrees (Korean ribs as a starter, the Three Hearts salad -- hearts of palm, artichoke hearts and the tenderest hearts of romaine -- and steak frites with bleu and parmesan sprinkled on the fries) to the lovely desserts. My only wish is that it were closer to home! Did I say our server could not have been more helpful and kind? The prices are also entirely reasonable. Bravo to all!Special Features:
- Food excellent.....Wine pricing?McintoshDined on 5/10/2014The food and service was wonderful. The price of a glass of wine for the amount you get is ridiculous. $9.00 for a 1/4 glass of Reisling. So enjoy the food but, stay away from the wine.Special Features:
- Great experienceBrianDined on 5/9/2014My wife and I loved the exchange. Great food, live music, and service! It is more expensive, but it is worth the price. Make sure you make a reservation, otherwise the wait is a little long (even on a night of a torrential downpour like when we went). Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum-m-m!KateDined on 5/8/2014Had lunch there on a nice Spring day and the front of the store was open to the sidewalk. Very nice atmosphere. One of the best burgers I ever had. Garlic Parmesan Frittes are addictive. My husband had wings and gave them a "10". Will try the gigantic fish sandwich next time. Will be back even though we live in Louisville.Special Features:
- Derby favoriteJDG221Dined on 5/1/2014Great after track dinner location and great food. I highly recommend this placeSpecial Features:
- DiddonedineDined on 4/25/2014Exchange has become one of my favorite restaurants. Great beer selection, delicious and unique food and the service has always been welcoming and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 10 minutes from LouisvilleNomNomNomDined on 4/23/2014Listed as #1 on Eater Louisville heat map for where to eat now and lives up to that rating with excellent food. The steak was outstanding. I thought the service was a bit rushed for a weeknight that wasn't exceptionally busy but overall that was a minor blip in an otherwise enjoyable experience.The building is open with high ceilings and the noise level is amplified. The open kitchen concept adds to the noise level but not the atmosphere because it is tucked into the back corner and diners can't see the action. The quality of the meal is what counts and it is worth the 10 minute drive across the river from Louisville.Special Features:
- The Exchange does it right!cathyk39Dined on 4/4/2014The Exchange is going strong and its not hard to see why. The service is friendly and attentive, the food is delicious with choices to fit any appetite, and the atmosphere is fun and funky. The menu is limited, but adequate to meet the needs of any particular craving. The Bourbon list is extensive, the beer list is comprehensive and the wine covers all the basics. Signature cocktails are creative and tasty. Much of the menu is locally sourced and dishes are prepared with an attention to detail. The atmosphere was lively and the night we were there they were hosting live music. This is a great place to celebrate a special occasion or just have a leisurely dinner.Special Features:
- Always very good, Rarely greatFaulkVIPDined on 3/27/2014Very consistent food and a nice selection of meals to pick from on the menu. Cocktails are fantastic and VERY creative. Ambience is terrific and inviting. Owner is present and involved most nights walking the venue. Worth the visit, we have been over a dozen times.Special Features: