4513 Travis St
Dallas, TX 75205Neighborhood:
Knox / Henderson
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Phone: 2145200050
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Brent Hammer
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from The Establishment
Inspired by two of America’s most cherished traditions, The Establishment is a modern rendition of the neighborhood oyster bar and classic cocktail bar. We feature a 10" raw bar with more than 15 different types of East and West Coast oysters, a seasonally focused small plates menu helmed by Executive Chef Brent Hammer and a very, very ambitious beverage program. With an uncompromising focus on excellence, this ocean to plate, farm to table aesthetic is represented lovingly by ever-changing food and drink menus that are both adventurous and sublime. The Establishment experience is designed for all the senses and can be enjoyed in many ways,Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Establishment - Best Restaurants in Knox / Henderson ›
The Establishment reviews from OpenTable diners
54 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (37)great for outdoor dining (26)vibrant bar scene (24)neighborhood gem (23)good for groups (22)hot spot (19)special occasion (13)great for brunch (12)romantic (12)late-night find (9)notable wine list (8)scenic view (5)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Great brunch spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/17/2014Love the atmosphere - modern, but casual and welcoming. Efficient, knowledgeable service. They have a great brunch menu - a friend and I have gone a couple of times and enjoyed everything we've tried.Special Features:
- Friday night findClarkDined on 8/15/2014I visited EST this past Friday for the first time. We were looking for a new place to eat and EST sounded intriguing from the reviews. I have to say the place lived up to the reviews pretty spot on. Our waiter, Robert, was charming and knowledgable and made several good reccomendations. The menu was exciting with very creative offerings and a variety of portion and pricing options, which was inviting to try several things or for group dining. It was pretty noisy and the drink service from the bar was noticeably slow and needs improvement, but not a dig on Ro set, he was great. Food was yummy and drinks were fantastic! One bit of criticism, find a new way to serve tables outside. With the patio doors open, there was a wave of 90* heat insideSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for 4dinnerDined on 8/9/2014We went to the EST for a nice dinner. The appetizers were so great we had high hopes for the entrees, but were disappointed. I would really recommend this place for awesome cocktails and amazing oysters. Everything else was just kind of sub-par. The service was great our waiter took our food back to get a different entree but we still felt it wasn't worth the money.Special Features:
- Soft openingMarsarchVIPDined on 8/6/2014Good good. Friendly service. A bit empty so the ambiance was not very energetic. Will improve with time and will try again in a weekend night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid placermbccivDined on 8/2/2014Great oysters. Great drinks. Great shareable entrees. Look forward to my next visit there. Everything was really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food- Poor ServiceracerDined on 8/2/2014Food was very tasty but small portions for the price. Staff was pleasant and nice, but the service was spotty. Three people were sat at a table for two which was not a major problem but somewhat cramped for what we paid. Otherwise, the patio was nice and open. Waiter asked us if we wanted the dessert menu and then promptly deserted us. Pun attended. One of my friends fell asleep while we were waiting for it. To save her the embarrassment of drooling on herself, I got up and found the manager for the check. It's hard to say this was a good value when compared to other restaurants in this price range.Special Features:
- Oysters good-entrees okayHighhopesVIPDined on 7/26/2014This place was good for oysters and the steak. Overpriced for the entrees even though they are tapas, menu is confusing on how it works between the tapas and cold plates. Music is way too loud for upscale dinner, feels like too much of a club. The most annoying part was the bartender continuously pounded the shaker against the bar which was ridiculously loud throughout our dinner. Although we got wine and had 4 people our bill was over $300. Oh and the seabass was terrible, the pea mush under it did not work at all.Special Features:
- reyglVIPDined on 7/26/2014Very loud -- hard to communicate w/ your party. Food/service were mediocre. Disappointing!Special Features:
- Menu makeover would be goodEatPCDined on 7/25/2014Great atmosphere and location. However, the food was not remarkable. Portions were very small and they call them tapas - on huge plates. Makes sharing frustrating. I suggest a menu update with larger portions and add some of the Cedars Social better items (burger) to the menu. The service was very good.
- Restaurant/Loungeluv2dineDined on 7/12/2014Love this new restaurant/lounge hip and trendy idea with communal dining. Their cheese board is to die for. My husband ordered squab which was delicious. I liked my lobster a lot but the dish includes fennel which I am not a fan of. I feel like the fennel overpowered the dish.Special Features:
- Food stands-out, service doesn'tRyanDLDined on 7/12/2014This is my second time at this restaurant. The first was a 12 person group on a slow weeknight and it was excellent. This time was 4 people on a Saturday night. Significantly different. While the menu was slightly changed (no concerns there -- the food is outstanding), the service was a little off. Though 2 people in our party were ~5 min late, we were not seated until over 30 min after our reservation time. A 4 person group with no reservations (they claimed they had one) was seated before us. Frustrating. Our waiter was good, though an accidental charge did appear on our check, which was removed upon calling it to attention.Special Features:
- Keep coming backOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/11/2014Love it here. So great to have good food and excellent cocktails so close to home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing!llllDined on 7/11/2014Best find in Dallas by far. Will definitely come back soon... Awesome food, cocktails, and service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/6/2014Great seafood. They have excellent cocktails! The staff is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still exploring the menuGourmetGourmandVIPDined on 7/5/2014This was our second meal at the Establishment. We are trying more of the menu and continue to enjoy most offerings. Most of the fish & seafood is outstanding. Lamb was only OK in comparison. Service can be erratic when things get busy, and the room still bothers me. The noise level is generally too high and the AC pours down uncomfortably on several tables. These issues shouldn't be hard to fix, and would enhance the experience significantly. The food keeps us coming back. More to explore next time.Special Features:
- Busy/ tight seatingMelinMurphyDined on 6/28/2014We had an almost 10 minute wait for a server when we were seated. That's a looong wait when you're just sitting there. We were a party of two seated next to a party of four and the way the tables were arranged we could have all been a party of 6. Very close arrangement. Overall it was fine...the food was very good, the wine was a good choice and the menu choices will bring us back- maybe at an earlier time however to avoid the crowd.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must try!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 6/26/2014I've been here more than a handful of times. It never disappoints. I love that I can enjoy a stellar cocktail with food that's just as good. Rare to find in Dallas. The staff is doing a great job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServicesatnightdinerDined on 6/21/2014The food was fresh, well prepared, and tasted good. Personally would prefer to have an option for full meals and not just small plates. They could have two prices without much trouble if they want to be considered restaurants and not just a "tapas" bar. Most small plates were less than $20, but when you need 2 to make a meal it is not that inexpensive. The decor is casual and bland like many other new restaurants. Our waiter and the service was excellent. When we told our waiter we were hungry, he recommended the ricotta cheese starter to fill us up which was a great.Special Features:
- Try somewhere elseDallasdinerVIPDined on 6/21/2014Went with another couple and we were definitely not impressed. We had tough octopus, a noodle dish that smelled so bad that it was not eatable, and the smallest serving of lamb that I have ever seen. I do believe that the lamb was less than 3 oz. for $18.00. It was very expensive and we all agreed that it really was bad. Try somewhere else.
- Great menupowerfilmVIPDined on 6/20/2014Really great menu. A Massachusetts style raw menu on the front, and multiple small plate options on the back. Oysters, clams, mussels, shrimp. Small plates of Duck wings, octopus, fish, salads, meats. Good craft cocktails. Extremely energetic noise level. If you want a quiet dinner this is not the place, however if you want great food, it is.Special Features:
- GourmetGourmandVIPDined on 6/18/2014Top quality ingredients, imaginatively prepared. Small plates to share allow for a tasting of many things. Most were a hit. Good selection of oysters. We tried three varieties from Prince Edwards Isl., but they had many more options to choose from. Great tomato salad, with the best tomatoes we've seen all season. Also enjoyed the Atlantic trout & the scallops. The rabbit was only OK in comparison. The room is loud and the décor seems at odds with the food. Given the care taken with the food, a separation from the bar & TV's, and a little quieter dining room would allow diners to appreciate the food more. The bar also needs work. Specialty cocktails ain't so special. Not cheap, but worth it. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal!PafoDined on 6/18/2014Went here on a Wednesday evening. Not very busy. Warm welcome. Had a variety of appetizers, salad and entrees. Everything was absolutely delicious. Service was a little slow for such a slow night. My husbands dinner was given to another table and he did not get his meal until the rest of us were done. Spoke to the manager and she offered a free dessert. We asked for his meal to be taken off the check. She did it, but we felt that we should not have had to ask. Would return based on the quality, freshness and flavor of the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Catching up at The EstablishmentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014Plates were small but the food was amazing. Noise level was high inside when it was filling up but they have a nice patio I will try next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotJgold22Dined on 6/7/2014This is one of the best seafood places I have been in a long time. Fresh good, good drinks and unique dishes.Special Features:
- Great food but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/7/2014Entrees are delicious but small. Great bar and drink menu. Very vibrant atmosphere with groups and not really a place for quiet atmosphere. Definitely need to try the lamb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and cocktails, slow srvcRoadRashTXVIPDined on 6/6/2014I had made reservations and when we showed up we were pleasantly greeted and shown to our table. The waiter was initially very attentive and took our drink orders and our food order. We tried a few different cocktails and they were all excellent. We also ordered 2 dozen oysters, the trout rillettes and the duck wings. All the food we tried was excellent but I will not say that everything was perfect. They still need to work out a few kinks. We did run into a few problems like poorly shucked oysters, a cracked glass and slow service. I will have to say the manager was great at fixing the problem with the oysters and the cracked glass. But what we did notice about the service is that as it got busier our waiter became less attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get here before the crowds do.FoddieTootieDined on 5/24/2014Usually restaurants aren't on top of their game when they first open. The Establishment is the exception. We were lucky to get a table, and I think it's only because the word is not out yet.. Great tapas reimagined in a modern way. Don't miss the house mad ricotta!! Servers knew just the right amount of attention, and they were all easy to look at too. Get here before the crowds discover this gem.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 5/23/2014Good food. Great cocktails. Fun staff. Excellent bartenderSpecial Features:
- Excellent Brunch and Drinks!OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 5/18/2014I was pleasantly surprised with everything! We had the duck wings which were delicious. The shrimp and grits really stood out as well! We ordered quite a few items because everything sounded so good and everything blew us away! Impressed and pleased. Their patio is great sized and the tunes really make it enjoyable. Their cocktail menu offers great selections too. Can't wait to return for another brunch... Dinner and for late night cocktails! Thanks again to the staff for making it such an enjoyable experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/26/2014The visual ambiance of the restaurant was great, however the noise level and type of music (late night dance music at 6:30 PM) was inappropriate. The food was only fair as they tried to have too many ingredients in each dish so that the flavors got muddled rather than being distinct. Portion size was great and the idea behind the restaurant seems good but some fine tuning is in order.
- The following 0 reviews are from the The Establishment reviews archive.