The Epicurean Bistro & Wine Bar
579 Troy-Schenectady Rd
Latham, NY 12110Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
The Epicurean Bistro & Wine Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.epicurean-ny.com/
- Phone: 5187868272x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday & Wednesday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Bar open until 10:00pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, bar open until 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French / American, Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Dominique Brialy
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We cater onsite as well as off-site for parties as small as 10 people to large gatherings of a thousand or more. Onsite, our restaurant allows for groups of up to 135 people - with an additional 40 guests on the terrace, weather permitting. We host bridal/baby showers, rehearsal dinners, and weddings, as well as corporate/private events including brunches, lunches, cocktails, dinners and wine tastings.
- Special Events: Winemaker's Dinners ~ 4-Courses Paired with 4 Wines $75. Usually held the 3rd Thursday of each month but go to www.epicurean-ny.com to confirm the dates & menu.
A word from The Epicurean Bistro & Wine Bar
The Epicurean is an authentic French Bistro and Wine Bar. It is sophisticated, romantic, yet casual. From the moment you step in, you will feel transported to the South of France. Award- winning, French born and trained Executive Chef Dominique Brialy creates inspired dishes based on perennial French classics. His menus reflect the availability of fresh, seasonal ingredients. For several years in a row, the Epicurean has been voted best French restaurant in the Capital Region and has earned the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
The Epicurean Bistro & Wine Bar - Best Restaurants in Latham ›
The Epicurean Bistro & Wine Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (36)romantic (34)fit for foodies (33)special occasion (31)neighborhood gem (13)great for lunch (7)good for groups (5)great for outdoor dining (3)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014The staff were friendly and efficient. The service was also very good. I felt very comfortable there and they were attentive to our needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect!Mormor22Dined on 10/7/2014The Epicurean is perfection. Has it all, ambiance, professional waitstaff, fun talented bartender, a french chef, interesting menu, delicious food artically presented and the the owners make you feel as if you are a guest in their home. This is our go to place for every occasion, big, small or nothing at all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wow!travelerDined on 10/1/2014We just moved to the area and were looking for a good place to go. Coming from the DC area meant we had high standards. Epicurean did not disappoint. The food, wine, service, and overall experience was fantastic! I had expected a dressier crowd, but that's ok.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ParamusKVIPDined on 9/25/2014The menu was just changed, the previous menu had more choices.Special Features:
- Awful!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/18/2014Be prepared- this place is not good! A few friends declined to join our group as they had eaten there before and said "not again". Initially, I thought they were being too critical- well, I do owe them an apology. It was awful! The service was bad, the food was mediocre, the coffee is actually good, but no refills- you must pay for those. Although the restaurant is very cute inside - that's it for good points. We were a group of 8 women who met on a Thursday at noon- we were one of 3 tables that were eating at the time. The place was almost empty. Wonder why???
- Customer service could be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/10/2014The food was good with a nice wine list, but the dessert we shared was dry and bland. Only saw one waiter literally almost jogging through the restaurant, handling the front and outside, appeared to be a private party in an adjacent curtained area. Entire dinner service took 2 1/2 hours. The waiter accidentally threw out half of an entree that I purposely had wrapped to take home. Although he apologized, he made no attempt to rectify his mistake, only stated, "I'll buy half your entree next time you come in." Sure! We decreased his tip to compensate! Don't think we would return for a long while at least.Special Features:
- Great food, attentive serviceColonieDined on 9/3/2014We went for the pre-fix menu and it's a great value for the price. The selections are varied and delicious. I highly recommend the escargot or the calamari to start and any of the mussels as the entree. The servers are attentive without being overbearing. Our server, Bryan, was very knowledgable about the menu, drawing my normally reserved husband into a informed discussion about wine pairings for the the different courses. All in all it was an excellent evening and we look forward to going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem...njmdesignsDined on 9/3/2014LOVE the Epicurean. It's become one of my favorite restaurants. The chef is fabulous and inventive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you like French foodAlbsettledFoodieDined on 8/28/2014This is the best one in the area. The Capital District is not known for its French food but the Epicurean does a great job and is probably the best in the region.Special Features:
- great date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014Food was amazing and the wine list is extensive. Just plan on taking your time, we sat down at 7pm and didn't leave until 9:20pm.Special Features:
- Locals OnlyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014We were late for our reservations at The Epicurean Bistro and Wine Bar because we spent ten minutes aimlessly driving thru Latham Farms Mall. The directions on the website don’t make it easy to find. We entered just as the bar erupted in a wave of loud laughter and forceful complaints about the game on television. The restaurant is clearly a local hangout. In general, the place has the feel of a sports bar that serves French food. Our server was marvelous but he couldn’t make up for the appetizers. The two small pieces of pate that came with a rye bread were too thin and lacked the richness of the brand I buy at the Price Chopper. My spouse’s oysters didn’t carry that fresh scent of the sea. They were a little old.Special Features:
- Excellent!maxtheflashDined on 8/20/2014We went for our anniversary after reading reviews on OpenTable. I probably wouldn't have picked it otherwise, given it's location in a strip mall, but it definitely surprised us. The atmosphere is great, nothing like what we would've expected based on it's location. Food was amazing, wine was great, service was great! We will definitely go back. (side note: we normally take our toddler out with us, but didn't because it was our anniversary. good call, would not recommend bringing small children here)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night out!njmdesignsDined on 8/19/2014We recently dined at Epicurean Bistro and it proved to be a fabulous evening. The menu is inventive and VERY well executed. We had a few 'picky' eaters in our party, but even they were able to find something to please them and they were very pleasantly surprised. It's a great 'special occasion spot' and I highly recommend giving it a try!Special Features:
- UpstatePatDined on 8/15/2014Dinner was delicious and the prices were fair, not over the top. The wine list is phenomenal. We asked ourselves why we don't come here more often- we will make a point to do so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner experience!MixitupDined on 8/9/2014The restaurant ambiance is warm and inviting, our service was excellent, and portions were just right. We all had fish entrees which were cooked perfectly in lightly seasoned sauces and accompanied by appropriate portions of vegetables and a starch (potato or rice). Just beautiful and delicious food. My dinner companions have spent a lot of time in France and said this is what dining in Paris is like every day. Will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceAlbany12208Dined on 8/9/2014Great service with superb recommendations for pairing wines.Special Features:
- Great dinnnerMoncDined on 8/8/2014We had a wonderful dinner at Epicurean. Beautiful restaurant. Exceptional food, great wine & great atmosphere. Service was just a tad slow, it appeared that maybe some wait staff did not show up that night. Our waiter had to make the drinks. However, that did not hinder our great dining experience. The best meal of the night----Steak Tartar ( recommend). Spices were right on point, good size portion & great salad and fries to go with it. Also wonderful, Veal Oscar. Dined with a party of 8 and everyone said their food was just as good as the others. Baby clams were juicy, fresh & seasoned just right. Escargot, perfect. Shrimp, plump & tasty. Overall a great dinner enjoyed with great friends. We will be back.Special Features:
- Surprised in a mallInSADined on 8/7/2014True to other reviewers, the ambimace and decor is unlike for a restaurant in a mall! The wine list was great.. Worked thr Roc 2009 with some veal medallions, tiger shrimp, oysters and choc cake! Yumm.. We had a slow dinner and enjoyed the pace.. The way french food must be enjoyed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Epicurean continues to pleaseNotesOnNapkinsDined on 8/7/2014I hosted two out-of-town food friends at lunch, their first visit to The Epicurean. They live in the Washington D.C. area and travel widely, so they know quality when they experience it. All three of us were pleased with the omelettes and crepes, the white wines, paté, bread -- and they were enthralled with the atmosphere. While our server was genial and helpful, he did slip up on a few things, including submitting the wrong dish for one of us. However, he quickly apologized and offered to have the kitchen make anything the guest wanted. The cheese counter also intrigued my guests, who walked out with quite a few selections plus a warm baguette. Overall, the usual excellent job by Claire, Sandy and Dominick.Special Features:
- French without pretentiousnessNavhDined on 8/6/2014Excellent food--flavorful and fresh. Great service by a very helpful waiter that was very patient with us. French cuisine without being pretentious. We used a Groupon, which made the experience more affordable and us happier. Most entrees were $25-30; I would normally feel guilty spending so much on a meal, but with the discount I could enjoy guilt-free.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's the little things!dineoutoftenDined on 7/31/2014The Epicurean appears to be trying to be an upscale restaurant. We had a group lunch there and there were a number of issues which left me feeling unimpressed! Of seven of us two received something other than what was ordered. Though just three tables were occupied our service was very slow and not attentive at all. We requested dessert menus and though our waiter said he'd be right back with them, we waited a good ten minutes and received them only upon flagging the waiter down requesting them again. This is a perfect example of not getting what was paid for. The food itself was good though the portions were small.
- Excellent couples dinnerStevePDined on 7/30/2014The food is out of this world. A beautiful, romantic evening for couples. Definitely not for small children.Special Features:
- Great night outRonnieHDined on 7/22/2014When eating french food, I generally go to Provence. I bought a Groupon for The Epicurean and invited friends out to dinner to give it a try. One of my guests and I ate pork tenderloin and my other guest had the fish. Ny friends are long-time gourmet cooks. We all agreed that the food was superb. I would even venture to say that I prefer the food to Provence, which I think is another excellent restaurant. The Epicurean will definitely see me again.Special Features:
- Outstanding, as everDishinginstyleDined on 7/18/2014Epicurean is an outstanding restaurant. The food, the service, the ambiance all combine to make one's experience there memorable. We are never disappointed. Don't be put off by the location in a suburban mall. This is fine dining at its' best. We both enjoyed the beet salad with lime-balsamic dressing and warm goat cheese. My pork tenderloin was superb. My husband raved about his chicken dish. And the melange of roasted vegetables which came with both dishes were wonderful. We finished with Creme Caramel and Pot de Creme. Scrumptious!Special Features:
- Nice Place, great food!MDBluesDined on 7/12/2014Compliments to the chef for delicious, well-presented dishes for all 3 courses. The wait staff was typically indifferent.Special Features:
- Always an excellent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/12/2014The Epicurean Bistro always provides great food, atmosphere, and service. Great wine list and bar - we come here often, either for drinks or dinner, or both. They always provide a great evening out - an exceptional culinary experience.Special Features:
- Merveilleux!!! (Marvelous!!!)JemmyVIPDined on 7/11/2014What an unexpected find! Delicious French country cuisine in a restaurant in a mall anchored by a Walmart and a Sam's Club and next to a Michael's?! The Epicurean Bistro & Wine Bar more than delivered. The first surprise was the wonderful ambiance that immediately transported you to a very nice European bistro as you walked in. The bar area was spacious and stunning and the dining area was intimate and you immediately forget that you were in a strip mall! Then there was the food - definitely kudos to the Chef and kitchen staff. The menu was French country and prepared expertly. It was both delicious with exquisite flavors and served at the proper temperature. The cheese selection was world class. Can't wait to go back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/27/2014Terrific food and service! The pate of the day was spectacular and the calamari is not to be missed!Special Features:
- Exceptional!Mormor22Dined on 6/25/2014Don't let the strip mall address fool you. Walk through the doors and be transported to a fine french bistro. Excellent food, well prepared and artfully presented. Top notch service. Wine Spectator awarded wine list. Beautifully appointed interior with comfortable seating either at the bar or in the dining room. The Epicurean is our "go to" place for speical ocassions, dinner with friends or a glass of wine and fine cheeses at the bar. Add Epicurean to your restaurant list, it's not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 7 reviews are from the The Epicurean Bistro & Wine Bar reviews archive.
- horrible service! go to talalovemyvino518Dined on 6/18/2014Horrible service - first question asked was if our party had a groupon (which we did not) and turns out there is a different menu and service for those who purchased one. Wait staff was terrible and had many rude comments throughout the whole evening even commenting on our orders and food when taken and delivered- ok food and beverage. Will never go back - go to tala down the road for a fabulous dining experience and wonderful service.
- Wonderful EveningChefDieselDined on 5/23/2014Wonderful ambience and attentive service. We were celebrating my wife's birthday and wanted to go somewhere with great food and a solid wine list - The Epicurean more than delivered on both accounts. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great neighborhood findfussydinerDined on 5/15/2014We were pleasantly surprised to discover this gem in a shopping plaza. It has a serious wine list and good to see so many locally sourced items. Especially loved the poulet roti - comfort food elevated to new heights. Everything a French bistro should be.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/10/2014It was a Mother's day dimmer celebration the night before. Dont like to fight the crowds on Sunday. Dinner was elegant and both the tuna and pork were perfect1Special Features:
- The Best in Capital LanddedwVIPDined on 5/3/2014The Epicurean bills itself as "the only 'authentic French restaurant' in the Albany-Schenectady Region..." I would go one further: The Epicurean is arguably one of the best fine dining restaurants in the area. Service and ambience are top notch, and the wine list is first-rate. The star of the show, however, is the food. Maybe real French cooking is not so popular these days, but nevertheless, if you want great food--French or otherwise--this is the place to go. Yes, there are the classic French favorites, but Chef Dominique, Claire and Sandy are not afraid to branch out from the traditional dishes in order to provide a great dining experience. Whether stopping in for dinner or just a glass of wine at the bar, you will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightSupersitzDined on 4/26/2014The Epicurean is a hidden gem found in Latham farms.We enjoyed ever bit of our meal.We can't wait until our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- StaycationArhedgeDined on 4/16/2014If you would liken to feel lik you have taken a trip to Europe then this is the place. Casual vibe and relaxing. The wait staff is patient and knowledgeable about the wine and food. Tuesday and Wednesday they have 50% off select bottles of wine. Its the perfect time to hang with friends over a cheese plate and glass of wine. It was very chilly, so bring a sweater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.