121 S Niles Ave
South Bend, IN 46617Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://eastbankemporium.com/
- Phone: (574) 234-9000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Everyday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Ryan Shriver
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout
- Private Party Facilities: Private parties up to 60 people.
- Private Party Contact: Amy Grundgen 5742349000
- Entertainment: Thursday....Live Mo-Town & Golden Oldies BBQ on the patio 6PM-9PM.
A word from The Emporium
Shortly after the construction of the Jefferson Street Bridge in 1912, Chris Anwonder built the first tavern to grace our building. During the era that followed industry and commerce built upon the banks of the river. Our building has a history that somewhat parallels the economic ups and downs of this area. It has been a porcelain works, tombstone factory, and sign company. Fifteen years prior to the October 1, 1980 opening of our restaurant, it was an empty warehouse. The reconstruction of our building uses artifacts collected from the area, and most of the restored oak pieces have been uniquely located to provide the atmosphere that is the Emporium. The grand staircase, the Deacon"s bench, and the oak doors used as paneling are all from an old church. The antique light fixtures, railings, spindles, and oak columns are authentic and add to the beautiful ambiance and dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Emporium reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (12)good for groups (9)great for outdoor dining (6)fit for foodies (4)special occasion (4)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (4)romantic (3)notable wine list (3)neighborhood gem (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- A Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Took our college age kids and friends here for dinner and had a great time. Service was great and we didn't feel rushed to cut our visit short. A solid and varied menu. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/21/2014It was very lovely and the food was amazing. My only problem was when I made the reservation, I was expecting for the part online where i can make personal preferences for those to be met. Not a single thing was how I had asked it to be and when i got there they were surprised someone had a reservation. That is why i gave it a 4 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best views in townGayaDined on 11/8/2014I've been an Emporium aficionado for many years, mostly at lunch time. The view on the river and the town is a treat. Outdoor seating is fabulous in the right season. The food is steadily improving in variety and taste. Kudos, and keep up the good work! I look forward to many future visits.Special Features:
- Great New Find in South BendMikeGDined on 10/3/2014All the usual spots where we like to dine in South Bend were booked on Friday night after the ND Pep Rally. We foumd Emporium on OpenTable. It looked interesting so we decided to give it a try. We were extremely pleased with the food (very tasty and portions were oversized); the service (our waiter was very attentive and friendly); and the ambience was very nice (right on the river). We will definitely be back and we highly recommend this restaurant to others)Special Features:
- Surprisingly GoodBuccos815VIPDined on 9/5/2014It has been a long time since I had a meal at The Emporium that was actually good. We had a great experience. I am looking forward to trying their new menu.Special Features:
- Good choiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/5/2014We had a dinner for 5 at The Emporium. The building itself looked tired and needed paint and the entry to the building was somewhat hodgepodge. However once we entered the restaurant itself the place was nice. I heard the next day that the facility had been sold and was going to be renovated. 4 of us ordered fish for our meals, red snapper, tilapia, and salmon. Everyone was pleased with their dish. The fifth person ordered a Greek flatbread and a cajun chicken salad and liked both of them. Two of us had the Caesar side salad with our meal and were please with the tasty and ample serving. When we arrived the place was fairly empty but filled up over the course of the evening. The desserts we tried were good. We would return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food and ambience!Trine0929Dined on 8/15/2014Took my wife for her birthday and neither of us could be happier. Wonderful food and atmosphere with great service for very reasonable prices. We even dressed up a bit to celebrate and felt quite comfortable yet could see going back dressed very casually and fitting right in as well. Our kind of place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 39 reviews are from the The Emporium reviews archive.
- On the RiverSpeedyDined on 7/11/2014A band was playing across the river, supplying a distant but appreciated ambiance.Special Features:
- ImpressedAmandaBDined on 6/21/2014I was visiting South Bend for only a few hours and was mixing business with pleasure with our dinner plans. I always use Trip Advisor to plan ahead and was happy to find a place with scenery, ambiance, good food, and good prices that was perfect for our gathering. It didn't disappoint. I saved $22 using a Restaurant.com certificate to boot!Special Features:
- Emporium was a let downThePunditVIPDined on 6/11/2014When weather permits Emporium has the nicest terrace overlooking the river and downtown South Bend. Sadly the food is unremarkable and the service is haphazard. Too badSpecial Features:
- Lovely terrace and good serviceGayaDined on 5/24/2014I had lunch on the terrace with a friend and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The setting is great, the seating comfortable and the food quite good. The restaurant will honor special requests. If you are vegan, for instance, as I am, they can prepare a vegan dish. They should now consider adding a vegan option on their menu as other restaurants in our area have done for some time (LaSalle Grill, Café Navarre...).Special Features:
- Easy and Funbenfro6Dined on 5/18/2014The food was outstanding and wait staff was incredibly efficient. Highly recommend this restaurant to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the viewGregorysNdDined on 4/11/2014Ask for a table by the windows, the river views are beautiful. Our table shared the zucchini appetizer and artichoke dip both were a huge hit with everyone. The herb roasted chicken and pork loin plates were fantastic. I have to try the grilled meat loaf my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to start the eveningExperiencedDinerDined on 4/5/2014I often welcome the Emporium as a great place to start a weekend evening (before attending a show or concert downtown). Over the years the menu has changed but the food quality continues to be very good. Food charges are reasonable but for the price I usually expect a few of the finer things (I did miss the bread and the cloth table clothes, both not provided on this visit).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice DinnerbeatlegirlDined on 3/31/2014Went to dinner before a show. Food was good, although mine could have been warmer. Taste and portion sizes were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- River viewsDomerDined on 2/16/2014Set right on the banks of the St. Joe River in downtown South Bend the Emporium was a beautiful setting for an excellent meal. We were seated right next to the river and the views are spectacular. The vegetable soup tasted homemade with a nice balance of several vegetables. The broth was nicely seasoned. The baked brie was very good and the warm bread was out of the oven fresh. The prime rib was cooked just right and the au jus had a wonderful flavor. The brussel sprouts were tenderly cooked and very good. The spanish rice also has a great flavor. The cheese cake topped off a great dinning experience. No question we will return to this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistantly good.sbschaDined on 11/30/2013I have been dining at The Emproium for nearly 30 years. Always good food at a decent price. Recommend highly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, beautiful river viewCurtisVIPDined on 10/27/2013We were thoroughly satisfied with our experience. All of the tables have a view of the river, but ask for a table next to the window for the best view. Service was friendly and attentive without being intrusive. Drinks were mixed well. My grilled salmon was prepared perfectly. Try the roasted brussel sprouts. They are delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 6 month anniversary at the emporiummattDined on 10/4/2013great food, great atmosphere. all around good experience. look forward to going to the emporium on our 1 year anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We arrived early and wereNDfoodmistakeDined on 9/27/2013We arrived early and were promptly seated. Had our own waiter until table of 8 next to us arrived, and he spent over 15 minutes exclusively with them as they tried to decide on wine. We were ignored. We both had prime rib which just wasn't that good. I ordered rare to medium rare and said warm and bloody. It was the right color pink, but it was neither warm nor bloody. Refills were slow. We had finished eating and had to wait over 10 minutes for our check and a to go box. I would not return here. There were also some shady people hanging out of the street in front of the restaurant, and it wasn't even dark yet.
- Family dinnergoodeatsDined on 5/19/2013The restaurant was full so the noise level pretty high and the service was a little slow but the food was excellent and we had an enjoyable family experience over all. A nice ending to an afternoon at the theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My wife and I have been comingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/16/2013My wife and I have been coming here for over 25yrs. We even had our wedding reception dinner here 24 yrs. ago. We have always enjoyed the Emporium. However, recently the service seems to be suffering and costs have been going up like everywhere else.Special Features:
- Appetizers were excellent.38maleUTAHDined on 3/8/2013Appetizers were excellent. The Calamari was top notch and the Ahi was good. I had a prime rib which was better than average, but to my surprise I had to request horseradish. Their Herbal Chicken also received high remarks from my friend. Our service took too long on both ends of the meal, it seemed he was overworked. Prices were fair, not cheap, nor expensive. Worth returning with my family, but not with business clients or on special occasions.Special Features:
- We went here for our son'sOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/24/2013We went here for our son's 21st birthday! The French Onion Soup was great. I had the steak, and it was delicious. Others had fish and chicken and all of it was so good. I will definitely return next time I am visiting the kids at Notre Dame. Try it out! You will be glad you did.Special Features:
- My Go-to casual dinner placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013Always enjoy the Emporium for its atmosphere and food. While a casual restaurant it is still nice enough for that "special" date. Only complaint is the relatively small menu. Love that Emporium is on Opentable!Special Features:
- Restaurant week deal not goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/23/2013The 4 course dinner package is more expense than seperate ordering. Feel the waiter did not tell the truth.Special Features:
- I go to the Emporium quiteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/14/2013I go to the Emporium quite often for lunch and dinner. The only time I had something I did not enjoy was a creme brûlée that looked like it had just been pulled out of the fridge and not been caramelized on top. We've been there for lunch after a family funeral, and it's my son's favorite "fancy restaurant" choice when we attend the annual Mother/Son dance at the Palais every spring. It can be a bit chilly sitting close to the large windows in the winter, but the view is lovely.Special Features:
- Very good food and service.cjk81Dined on 12/15/2012Very good food and service. Very reasonably priced. Would definitely recommend ...in fact I already did that today.Special Features:
- Average food, wine list hasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/30/2012Average food, wine list has gotten better, prices goodSpecial Features:
- Recommended... Again!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2012Fell in love once again! Always loved the character, charm, and beautiful ambience at Emporium! For a while, the food wasn't so good. I had heard from others that it was back, and they were right. Our Thanksgiving dinner was excellent and I plan on returning for other meals and special occasions.Special Features:
- Huge disappointment!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/2/2012Huge disappointment!! All 4 different entree orders looked colorlessly identical; dinner entrees were served on small lunch sized plates, fish & meats were dry & overcooked, vegetables colorless, dried parsley flakes coated all the food. Online menu does NOT accurately depict menu, for example: no wild-line Coho (Alaskan) salmon!!! I didn't return after my 1st visit to this restaurant years ago... hope I don't make the same mistake!
- Great Discovery in South BendGodmother3Dined on 10/20/2012We were in South Bend to attend a Notre Dame football game and were so glad we discovered The Emporium. Although it was a little difficult to navigate around the road construction, it was well worth it. Everything we ate was great--from the salad dressings on our salads to the wonderful dinner rolls, entrees and desserts--all wonderful. In addition, we had a very friendly and attentive waiter, which always adds to the experience. We highly recommend The Emporium to anybody looking for a lovely place for a great (and reasonably priced) dinner while in South Bend. If we lived in the area (we live in NY) we would definitely be regulars.Special Features:
- Favorite in South Bend!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/20/2012We love going to The Emporium when we are in South Bend -great food, something on the menu for everyone and great service at the bar and in the restaurant.Special Features:
- consisintly good...with serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2012consisintly good...with service and meau selections service was greatSpecial Features:
- A bit more rundown than IBurkeDined on 4/28/2012A bit more rundown than I had expected. Food was good, but my fish was too strong! Prices were great, but maybe that is why it was just ok. Service was fabulous!Special Features:
- Views and great foodGregorysNdDined on 2/14/2012I love watching the river out the large windows it is mesmerizing. The pork tenderloin was amazing and the avocado salad dressing is very refreshing. My asparagus was a little over cooked for my taste but my husband's was perfect. I definitely would return because I love many dishes on the menu.Special Features:
- Excellent food and diverseExellentDined on 1/20/2012Excellent food and diverse menu at very reasonable prices; generous portions, good service, nice ambiance; we were visiting from out of town and had no idea what to expect; we were not disappointed and thoroughly enjoyed our meal! I highly recommend the Emporium and would definitely eat there again if we are ever in the area! I would also like to add that although we were there in January, it seemed like it would be a great place for outdoor dining during warmer months-Special Features:
- This is very good food atOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/29/2011This is very good food at a reasonable price - the menu had something for everyone in our party of 6. The smell of the freshly baked bread when you walk in is heavenly! The service was just delightful-we will go back. It looked as though the outdoor dining would be fun warmer weather!
- This restaurant was recommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2011This restaurant was recommended by the Marriott Hotel staff and it was an excellent choice.Special Features:
- Quaint spot overlooking theOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/14/2011Quaint spot overlooking the river and downtown South Bend; perfect for a glass of wine after work. The food however lacks any particular attraction, and it remains very conservatively Midwestern; it is blend, and prepared with no passion. Go there not to discover a place "fit for foodies", but rather when you just need a hearty portion of food and don't care much about preparation. Modern local Midwestern restaurants have so much more to offer! I had an under-microwaved baked brie with plastic wrapper only partially removed, served with a loaf of "French" bread, made of this dense and chewy dinner roll that only Midwesterners like to refer to as bread. The appetizer was followed by the classic medium cooked steak served when ordered rare.Special Features: