936 Amsterdam Ave
New York, NY 10025Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theellingtonny.com/
- Phone: 2122224050x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 2:00am; Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 4:00am
Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Jordan Brill
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Live Music 4 Nights a week
- Special Events: Open for Thanksgiving & New Years Eve
A word from The Ellington
Casual and relaxing, country kitchen style meets shabby chic spot. Chef Jordan Brill has created a “modern gastropub menu” heavy on American and European flavorsContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Ellington reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (17)great for outdoor dining (15)great for brunch (9)kid-friendly (7)good for groups (7)great for lunch (5)fit for foodies (5)romantic (3)vibrant bar scene (2)special occasion (2)notable wine list (1)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Great place!BethDined on 10/20/2014I came here for birthday drinks, and I loved the ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/5/2014Everyone was happy with food, but with 4 people we had to speak loudly and repeat ourselves.
- upper wesr side gemLaralevDined on 8/20/2014Very pleasant open air restaurant with friendly wait staff. Lunch menu was perfect with great selections. Specialty hamburger was spicy and delicious. Other choices at our table were chicken sandwich and a great salad choice. Will definitely return when visiting NYC next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night out with friendsLondonLadDined on 8/18/2014We sat on the terrace and had a fun night as a group of five. The food was good and reasonably priced, cocktails were quality, service was efficient and cheerful - we had a good night and I would definitely head back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wanted to like it more....eatswellVIPDined on 8/15/2014Second time there. Friendly and good staff. Salads and salmon very good. Steak was a big disappointment - tough and full of grizzle. Next time I'll go back to the burger if I want beef.Special Features:
- Solid, but not specialAKKatVIPDined on 8/10/2014We tried The Ellington for the first time the other night and enjoyed the experience. The Grilled Cheese Bites were the highlight (though the description is a bit misleading, it is just a grilled cheese sandwich cut into pieces). They were delicious in the tomato-soup dipping sauce. The veggie burger was okay, but was missing something and the Manhattans were fine, but not great. That said, it's great to have another restaurant in the area. I will go back and try some different options at some point.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood placeDuckFatVIPDined on 8/3/2014Love this place for casual food. They have very creative menu items and the space is open and airy.Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood SpotEllieVIPDined on 7/22/2014The food here is good and the service is wonderful. Feels like home when you are there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/15/2014Nice atmosphere, good food, and delicious cocktails. I recommend The Ellington for a leisurely dinner in the neighborhood or for cocktails al fresco. Definitely try the grilled cheese bites!Special Features:
- Fun!NanaDined on 7/13/2014We watched the World Cup Finals at the Ellington and had a blast! Fun atmosphere....great beer list...great appetizers and new american fare. Highly recommend for bar dinner or fun brunch.Special Features:
- Great, affordable brunch!FoodinHarlemDined on 7/13/2014I was looking for a cheap place to take a visiting friend for brunch and found this. Our reservation was for 4 originally but we had a couple of friends that jumped in at the last minute and we showed up with 7. The restaurant was gracious and accommodating, giving us a picnic table that would fit our entire party. OH, and this was during the World Cup final so they were pretty busy. Good brunch food (my boyfriend is not a fan of brunch -I know, travesty- and he was happy that they served burgers and beer. He still talks about how good the burger was...), it was a great experience!Special Features:
- Excellent place!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/8/2014Great food. Amazing service! This is a great neighborhood joint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/6/2014Agreeable setting, reasonable prices, and OK food -- good to have in the neighborhood!I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 47 reviews are from the The Ellington reviews archive.
- Neighborhood Gem19490localVIPDined on 6/23/2014Great service and bar scene. Had a wonderful time without being rushed!Special Features:
- very loud - multiple video screenstomedison7Dined on 6/22/2014I went for Sunday brunch. My companions and I could hardly hear each other because the video screens were so loud. If you eat outside, shade is minimal. If you eat inside, noise is high. At least that's the way it was on a Sunday in June.Special Features:
- Fun Place To Hang OutEllieVIPDined on 6/16/2014This is a great neighborhood bar. OK food (could be better), but beautiful space with large Television screens...great for watching sports. There is a friendly pleasant outdoor space that is great to enjoy a weekend brunch.Special Features:
- Tasty Neighborhood FindRadioPeriVIPDined on 6/3/2014My daughter is living on the Upper West Side this summer, and we were looking for a spot in her neighborhood for dinner, when we decided to check out The Ellington, which looks friendly and inviting from the street. So glad we did. The happy hour drink prices are great ($4 for a glass of house wine!), the service was terrific, the food was quite good, and the prices are reasonable. While this may have been our first time at the restaurant, it definitely won't be our last!Special Features:
- UkedDined on 5/29/2014A pleasing and comfortable dining social experience. Cool for the neighborhood. Fine but not special burger.Special Features:
- Beautiful and reliably tastyTastydelights99VIPDined on 5/18/2014Food is very good and reliable, waitstaff lovely and the ambiance is fabulous, ESP for brunch where you can be outdoor, indoor or semi outdoor. Beautiful bar although only ever been there for brunch with child and they are very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cute PlaceExploringNYCDined on 5/11/2014I loved the atmosphere and the service was great but the food was just alright. We got a few appetizers and entrees and everything seemed to be a little bland. I'll probably go back to meet up with friends for a drink and sit outside.Special Features:
- Good TimesMontpassion1Dined on 5/11/2014My Husband & I took our moms, kids & siblings here for Mother's Day. Service was great! The lattes & burgers are awesome & so are all the desserts especially the bread pudding. I would definitely come back!Special Features:
- Foodie's Paradise!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/27/2014I was in NYC for the weekend visiting from Chicago with 4 friends. Saw The Ellington reviewed in a magazine - so glad we came! Interesting (& delicious!) twists on basic brunch fare! The lemon ricotta pancakes were the best ever! Great drink menu too - loved the spicy strawberry margarita with jalapeño infused vodka! I'm part of a culinary group in Chicago & I can't wait to return to the Ellington on my next NYC visit...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful food and lovely service!nathalieparkerDined on 4/25/2014I went with my sweetheart -- we had the squash salad, the spinach fritters (YOW - delicious), the veggie burger and shared a bottle of their pinot noir. It was wonderful. The food was amazing and the service was lovely. We will be certainly going back soon! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice Easter brunchSluggerDined on 4/20/2014Came here after Easter brunch at St John the Divine. We had a 1:45 reservation, showed up at 1:30, and were seated immediately. Nice! The brunch menu was perfect - just the right number of options. Well, too many options - it all looked amazing! The server (and all of the staff) was very friendly, but she did what way too many servers do and dropped us once we were finishing our meal. Had to wait too long for the check, and when we asked about dessert, were given a flippant response, and then she never came back to ask if we actually WANTED dessert! So overall, aaaalmost four stars. Will definitely come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Like it, a few brunch issuesAndyNYCDined on 4/6/2014I went with a friend for brunch on a recent Sunday. The only other times I have been here were to have drinks at the bar, late at night, or dinner once. The dinner experience was good. For the brunch experience, the restaurant was very short-handed. The waitress was stressed, which was understandable. Many tables seemed unhappy, and there were lots of people waiting at the door to be seated while the hostess seemed MIA. Anyway, there should have been two people waiting tables that day, and the hostess concentrating on the door. I felt bad for the one waitress, who was doing the best she could. The food was great, though the wait for everything was a bit too long. I was not in a rush though and didn't mind, but clearly some tables did.Special Features:
- Good food But Uncomfortably LoudBillVIPDined on 4/4/2014On weeknights when it's not so crowded, this is a fine UWS burger joint. But on weekends, way too loud for comfort.
- A big recommend for The EllingtonJenniferRVIPDined on 4/3/2014The northern part of the UWS that The Ellington inhabits is a veritable food desert. There are few good restaurants in the area -- there is one other we frequent -- and The Ellington provides a welcome oasis. My friend and I had a delicious and inexpensive lunch al fresco yesterday -- the lunch special is only $12. It was a beautiful day that was improved by our experience at this restaurant. It is terrific for lunch, and we intend to try it soon for dinner.Special Features:
- BrunchJackpDined on 3/30/2014The restaurant is nice and the people to. The foot is well presented and good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What Every Restaurant Should BeBonnieDined on 3/30/2014Came here with a party of 14 on a Sunday for brunch. The staff was so friendly and the food was amazing! Very reasonably priced and really delicious. The waitresses were very accomodating. The Ellington has a super laid back feel and the decor is really coastal, meets rustic. I want to go back in better weather to see if they have the windows open. It's a really airy feel because the restaurant is on a street corner so there are 2 walls of full size window panels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Ellington = neighborhood fav!savagiVIPDined on 3/24/2014I love the cocktails, I love brunch. I love eating on the big benches in the summertime. This is why I live on the UWS! Love The Ellington!Special Features:
- English pub on Upper West SidemusicloverDined on 3/20/2014The Ellington has a great pub-atmosphere. The food was surprisingly good. Burgers, salads, fish and chips on the menu. The staff was very friendly. It was too noisy for much of a conversation, but it would be fun for groups. Two huge TVs were at the bar, which had a lively scene. A great find on the Upper West Side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice!Jim23Dined on 3/10/2014First visit was really nice. Very friendly, low key, tasty food. I four-starred it only in comparison to fancy joints. Five stars for what it is, a good neighborhood place with a warm atmosphere, nice folks and friendly service.Special Features:
- VirginiaDined on 3/5/2014Pleasant neighborhood find. We enjoyed our lunch after visiting St. John's Cathedral. There were a couple of what appeared to be regulars at the bar; otherwise the place was empty with the exception a couple who came in after us. There was a feeling that they were just starting the day and not really expecting customers. The service was casual but friendly enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UWS Family Friendly American SpotFI44VIPDined on 2/23/2014The Ellington is a very pleasant spot, with music many nights. It is very family friendly especially during brunch at which it seemed nearly every table had a baby or child or two. Noise level is moderate. The staff very pleasant and efficient. Wehad delicious burgers and lovely omlettes( their spelling). Will definitely try for dinner soon.Special Features:
- BEST PORK SHANKS EVER!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2014Everything on the menu is amazing, if you go you have to try the pork shank appetizer it is amazing!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PranPranayamaDined on 2/1/2014One of the few places you can get a great fish and chips! And awesome cocktails. My favorite: the new fashioned. Finally, I love that they are named after one of the greatest jazz musicians Of all time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's becoming our standbyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/1/2014This place has come on strong since opening fairly recently. The menu is interesting and the food is excellent. The service is very good, too. It can be a little noisy, but the place has a nice energy to it, and it's fun to go there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a cozy, friendly neighborhoUWSdinerDined on 1/26/2014This is a cozy, friendly neighborhood spot. I've only been there twice so haven't tried many things on the menu, but I can say that the potatoes were excellent - both the home fries at brunch and the french fries for dinner. Other than that, my eggs were good, and the bison burger was OK. I will be back to try other options. Unfortunately I don't remember our server's name, but she was super nice and did a great job. My only complaint is that it can get quite noisy, so best to avoid the peak times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Vibe / Good FoodAwesomeDined on 1/10/2014The Food is fantastic, the ambiance is great and when there is live music it makes it a great find in the city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice PubOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/3/2014I got the herb half-roasted chicken which was ok. The chicken was well cooked, but bland. The carrots were delicious. Lots of mashed potatoes. It was supposed to come with gravy, but it didn't. I'd forgotten till someone in my party asked me. Gravy would have helped, but the food was good and the service very friendly. Little chilly inside, temperature-wise, and as the bar people consumed more beer, it got a little loud but acceptably so. We had been looking forward more to a restaurant experience. But if you need a pub with great burgers (according to one in our party), this is a great place.I would recommend this to a friend.