Elephant Walk, The - Cambridge
2067 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02140Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Elephant Walk, The - Cambridge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.elephantwalk.com/
- Phone: 6174926900
- Hours of Operation:
BRUNCH: Sunday 11:30am-2:30pm ---
LUNCH: Monday-Friday 11:30am-4:00pm ---
DINNER: Monday-Friday 4:00pm-10:00pm; Saturday-Sunday 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Cambodian, French
- Executive Chef: Nadsa DeMontero
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Elephant Walk, The - Cambridge
The Elephant Walk serves Award-Winning Cambodian and French cuisine. We also feature strong VEGETARIAN and GLUTEN-FREE menus! With so much depth and breadth to our menus, both exotic and familiar, we have something for just about everyone. Cambodian cooking is beautiful and delicious, but still rare in America. Less hot and sweet than Thai, richer and more complex than Vietnamese, the complex spice pastes that are the foundation of many Cambodian dishes reflect Cambodia’s Indian ancestry. Our Cambodian menu features both traditional Cambodian dishes and originals created by our Chef/Owners Longteine and Nadsa de Monteiro, a Cambodian mother-daughter team born and raised in Phnom Penh. Why French too? Cambodia was a French colony for a century, ending in the 1950s. Consequently, our chef-owners were French-educated and grew up speaking French and enjoying French cuisine too. In other words, our Cambodian-and-French theme is an authentic reflection of…us!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Elephant Walk, The - Cambridge reviews from OpenTable diners
118 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (67)neighborhood gem (51)special occasion (38)good for groups (36)romantic (21)notable wine list (11)great for lunch (11)great for outdoor dining (7)hot spot (5)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Poor ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/20/2014The food was decent, but the service was particularly slow on this visit and will be remembered much more than the quality of the food. The waiter took well over 10 minutes to even greet us and it took over 40 mins from the time we sat down before we received the appetizer. The support staff also didn't do a great job of helping, as plates and empty bottles were not cleared and spilled water was never cleaned up. We had to ask for the check after waiting 10-15 minutes after we completed our meal. We paid cash (which we rarely do) so that we wouldn't have to potentially wait a long time for the credit card to be processed.Special Features:
- Good but not great and too priceyTobyVIPDined on 10/20/2014Been to Elephant Walk many times over the years. It's always tasty but portions are on the small size and the prices always seem to be getting higher. The service is great, the food comes out fast but it's just not excellent food. Would be better at a slightly lower price point.Special Features:
- fantastic cambodian french foodPatAVIPDined on 10/18/2014Excellent menu options, delicious food (we selected chicken, beef, salmon and shrimp to share). Duck crepes and spring rolls great appetizer choices, loved the avocado tuna starter. We were seated downstairs, which was fine, but very difficult to hear anyone who was not seated immediately next to me, I think the acoustics upstairs might have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JohnDined on 10/13/2014I had not been there in many years. It was even better than I remembered it. The food was far above what I have in most restaurants. Delicate and spiced just right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steady Neighborhood GemMarcyDined on 10/9/2014Something for everyone on the menu. Wonderful blending of Cambodian and French food. The service has always been excellent. The food over the years that we have been going has been delicious and ample. The ambience is welcoming, not flashy, bright and a nice mix of diners. Off street parking in the evening is a real plus. Recommend without reservation.Special Features:
- Bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/4/2014We made the reservation for 3 people and were seated at this table that was supposed to be for 2 people. This table was right next to the service counter, and the back door and not too far from the kitchen. There was a lot of traffic. Every time when a waitress brought out a tray of food, I was afraid that she would drop it on top of my head when she walked pass. We also felt that we were rushed through the whole dinner. We came here a while ago and did not have a good experience. We decided to give the restaurant another chance. Since the food was not that great, I guess we would not return again.Special Features:
- Consistency with Elephant WalkAndreiaVIPDined on 9/26/2014Use to go to the Elephant Walk in Waltham before it closed so was pleasantly surprised that the Cambridge was just as easy to get to and they have free parking in the back of the building after 5pm. Prix fixe menu is a good value so we both ordered that. We both started with the spring rolls, then second course of mussels sautéed with Asian basil and scallions and salad with soba noodles and final course of beef bourguignon and boneless braised short ribs. Good to see that the quality and taste is very consistent no matter which location you visit.Special Features:
- never disappointedRocky5660VIPDined on 9/25/2014The price fix menu was chosen this trip. I introduced a new local to this and it was an overwhelming impressive dinner. you just can't go wrong with anything that you purchase here I just wish we had something similar in Denver because this could be an is out of this world addition to the other cusine we have available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was disappointingcumquatDined on 9/23/2014My group of three ordered from the fixed-price menu. The Rolleaux were tasty (but the lettuce leaves were too small to permit proper rolling) and the ground pork curry was OK. The beet salad promised much more than it delivered -- it felt hastily tossed together without wonderful flavors. The sautéed shrimp main course for one of our party was only OK, while the beef burgundy for the other two of us was actively disappointing: the meat was dry, tough and not particularly tasty, and the sauce seemed not to have had the requisite simmer -- I could taste a recent addition of red wine, and the mushrooms seem to have been added at the last minute rather than cooked to create a subtly blended flavor.
- Classic fusion menucovequeenDined on 9/21/2014Whether you prefer French or Cambodian flavors, this is the place for you. Interesting dishes, great flavors. Our group split half and half on which cuisine we tended toward, but it was all goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and great serviceKellyIVIPDined on 9/7/2014I stopped in late after a delayed flight and the service was fast and very attentive. The food was amazing and the flavors were very fresh and different.Special Features:
- azgeolgirlDined on 9/6/2014We were seated in a basement dining room that was much noisier than the other dining rooms in the restaurant, even though there was plenty of seating upstairs. The table next to us sported a toddler who screamed out entire meal...of course this is not the restaurant's fault, but certainly was extremely distracting from our experience (and they could have seated us upstairs!). Our server took 15min to take our drink order and 30min to bring bread. We had to forcibly flag him down in order to pay and get out of there! The food was ok...but we were not especially impressed for the price and up-scale ambiance. All in all, it was not a very pleasant experience and we are unlikely to come back.
- Fantastic, as alwaysEvelynVIPDined on 9/6/2014I really love The Elephant Walk. I used to always go to the Brookline location, but having recently discovered the Cambridge one, it's quickly becoming my favourite, because of its lower noise-level and a more inspired menu. As someone who loves vegetarian dishes, I am constantly delighted by the variety of choice and wealth of flavours in vegetarian dishes offered here. There's a huge difference between a meat-less dish and a vegetarian one (and only a vegetarian would appreciate the distinction), and The Elephant Walk makes inspired vegetarian dishes, full of spice and flavour. Coming here is always a delight!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as last timeNoNameDined on 9/5/2014This was our second visit to this restaurant. The first time was excellent. I had a boneless chicken breast dish that was accompanied with lots of very fresh, not over cooked vegetables (very healthy). This time I had another boneless chicken breast dish that the waitress also said came with a lot of veges. The chicken was supposed to be sliced--it was more chunks--tasted like it had been cooked or simmered in the veges and was dry and not particularly tender. The veges were not distinct one from another; apparently cooked all together again, I suppose with the chicken. I expect chicken to be tender and veges flavorful and not over cooked.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Food is amazing every time. Always consistent and delicious.Service was slow.Special Features:
- fantastic foodemmmmmDined on 8/26/2014really delicious food all around. great options for flavor and vibrant colors combinedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Night out with FriendsAandAinActonDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I were joined by two other couples for a night out. Four of the six of us chose from a (restaurant week) prix fixe menu while two decided to order from the standard menu. We all had in common that our meals were excellent. Service was attentive and cheerful and it was a really nice enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Still Great!LaGourmandeDined on 8/23/2014My sister and I had dinner at Elephant walk on Saturday night. I go there often because you can always count on the food - exotic, great combinations that I wouldn't have come up with but that are mouth-watering, healthy portions (both in size and content). We had two salads and were impressed by both, plus probably the best spring rolls I've had in a long time and the cod (it's gingery!). Everything was delicious! We felt well taken care of. I'd go back on a moment's notice.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekMoMoBoDined on 8/22/2014I went with my significant other for restaurant week and we had an excellent experience. They have a large RW menu & with the service and turnaround times they did not make it feel like that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Service was good, but everything except that was just ok. Food, location, ambience... I went there with high expectations but left with disappointment.
- Great deal during restaurant weekCherrypieVIPDined on 8/21/2014Took advantage of the four course offer during restaurant week. The food is fantastic, more asian than french. Had a late sitting and ended up being the last people in the restarant and were tucked away in the corner - think the serving staff forgot about us for a bit as we had to ask again for desert and took a while to pay the check.Special Features:
- Great food, slow serviceKaleLoverDined on 8/19/2014The food was great, had the fried pork spring rolls, the beet and soba noodle salads, the tofu-veggie green curry, and catfish in spicy tomato sauce, and the mango sorbet and tea to finish. Was all excellent. Really good food. We were out on the patio, was a little noisy as it is right next to the street, but that is to be expected. While our waitress was very polite, the service was very slow (it was packed inside, and we were on the patio...), dinner took 3 hours. I was catching up with a friend, so it was actually nice to have the extra time, but I think it would have felt long otherwise. Would definitely recommend, but maybe sit inside.
- As always, deliciousBluemanDined on 8/17/2014Elephant Walk is one of our favorite places to eat. It's reasonably priced and the food is always prepared with care. We find the food to be consistently delicious. Service can be a bit slow, but the wait staff is attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistentDoodlesDined on 8/15/2014We always enjoy Elephant Walk. We tried the Poulet a la Citronnelle (sliced chicken breast with veggies in lemongrass sauce), one of my favorites, the Crevettes Kep sur Mer (shrimp sauteed in lemongrass, coconut milk, and lime), and Gratin de Quinoa aux Légumes (prepared with cauliflower, eggplant, zucchini, onion, and Grueyer cheese). Each was prepared beautifully and the taste was excellent. The sauces are delicate and flavorfull. We shared the best Creme Brulee I have every had anywhere. There is nothing not to like at EW. It is small and does get a bit noisy. That shouldn't stop you.Special Features:
- My favorite spotBostonNorthEnderVIPDined on 8/3/2014I love the Elephant Walk! It is my favorite Boston restaurant which says a lot because I live in the North End. There are lots and lots of very close seconds, but the Elephant Walk never disappoints.Special Features:
- Great experienceBlackbonanzaDined on 8/1/2014Went there twice in less than 10 days. It was that good. We loved the French style cuisine and loved the Cambodian dishes as well. Great wine selection.Special Features:
- Good bur LimitedFlashDined on 7/31/2014The dishes that my wife & I had were good to very, but we found the menu limited compared to previous time we have dined there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, as always.HarrisonDined on 7/26/2014I have been to Elephant Walk many times and I have never walked away disappointed. The food is always great (though it sounds unusual at first glance) and they have a nice variety of items, including the option to make many dishes vegan.Special Features:
- Great FlavorsYumboDined on 7/26/2014Loved Elephant Walk. There were so many different spices and tastes. The mussels were amazing and loaded with flavor. The price fixed menu is a great deal.Special Features:
- Menu has changedbostonfoodieVIPDined on 7/25/2014I was looking forward to some old and familiar items but it feels like the food quality has gone way down and the menu has changed. It is way over priced for what it is, and the food really lacked flavors. it's too bad.
- Great Food if You Eat MeatlarabugDined on 7/21/2014I've always been impressed with the quality and creativity of the food at Elephant Walk, so I was disappointed to find that their vegetarian food did not live up to their high standards. While the vegetarian spring rolls were great, both the Gratin De Quinoa Aux Legumes and the Vegan Mee Siem that we ordered were mediocre at best. I realize that neither French nor Cambodian cuisines are traditionally vegetarian friendly, but such a great restaurant should simply not allow such bland boring food to sully their menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodCambridgeCanalDined on 7/20/2014I have dined at Elephant Walk a number of times and the quality of the food is consistently good. Whether you choose, French, Cambodian or a combination, the preparation will not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, ok service/ambianceFrequentBostonDinerDined on 7/18/201430 minutes from the time we sat down until somebody took our order. We weren't in any hurry so we were not pushing for service - nevertheless, 30 minutes without a waiter acknowledging a table is pretty bad. We preferred to sit outside because the air conditioning inside was a bit too cold for our liking. Outside was nice except that, with a bus stop nearby, every now & then a loud bus would accelerate right past us. Food was excellent but our waiter did nothing other than take our orders and then bring the check, even though we hadn't even asked for it. I think the sub-par experience related directly to the specific server we had and not to the restaurant itself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014We are long time Elephant Walk diners. The menu change was interesting though the new shrimp dish was decent - we both missed the curry crevetes dish which is a more flavorful selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh Cambodian CuisineCantabrigian10Dined on 7/17/2014Wonderful, exotic flavors compliment fresh ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service Great FoodMarcyDined on 7/15/2014This is a local gem in every respect: setting, service and food. The setting is open and quietly "classy" but unpretentious. The staff greets you and is focused on making sure that you are comfortable and well served. But, they do not hover which is a blessing. The food is wonderful. There is a good selection of Cambodian, French and Cambodian-French dishes that should meet demands of all including carnivores, vegans and gluten free diners. Dishes are beautifully presented and serving sizes are ample for every appetite. We had the mussels with garlic, shrimp with jasmine rice and chicken with jasmine rice. For dessert we had the mango sorbet. This was at the suggestion of our waiter and it was a perfect finish. Definitely a place to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/10/2014Service was very good, good was interesting beautiful and well prepared. The seared tuna could have been a bit warmer.Special Features:
- Mediocre food and poor serviceOpentablepointsDined on 7/7/2014The food was very bland tasting and the dessert (chocolate caramel tart) tasted artificial. My entree had very few shrimp. Service was so slow and was overcharged on the bill. Even though I used a Groupon, I still feel like I overpaid.
- How do I keep forgetting?Dan4thDined on 7/7/2014I've never had a bad experience at the Elephant Walk, but I still only seem to make it there every five years or so. It's ridiculously convenient to my house, and the food and service are consistently spectacular, but I seem to keep forgetting to go. Note to self: make more time to visit the Elephant Walk.Special Features:
- Proper amount of spicesCharnedVIPDined on 6/28/2014Liberal use of lemongrass, parsley, scallion, and tamarind were duly noted and much appreciated in the Cambodian dishes. Service was a little haphazard, but the food (the smells, the plating, and most importantly the taste) were well worth the visit. I'll be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.