Elephant Walk, The - Cambridge
2067 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA 02140Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Elephant Walk, The - Cambridge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.elephantwalk.com/
- Phone: 6174926900
- Hours of Operation:
BRUNCH: Sunday 11:30am-2:30pm ---
LUNCH: Monday-Friday 11:30am-4:00pm ---
DINNER: Monday-Friday 4:00pm-10:00pm; Saturday-Sunday 5:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Cambodian, French
- Executive Chef: Nadsa DeMontero
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Elephant Walk, The - Cambridge
The Elephant Walk serves Award-Winning Cambodian and French cuisine. We also feature strong VEGETARIAN and GLUTEN-FREE menus! With so much depth and breadth to our menus, both exotic and familiar, we have something for just about everyone. Cambodian cooking is beautiful and delicious, but still rare in America. Less hot and sweet than Thai, richer and more complex than Vietnamese, the complex spice pastes that are the foundation of many Cambodian dishes reflect Cambodia’s Indian ancestry. Our Cambodian menu features both traditional Cambodian dishes and originals created by our Chef/Owners Longteine and Nadsa de Monteiro, a Cambodian mother-daughter team born and raised in Phnom Penh. Why French too? Cambodia was a French colony for a century, ending in the 1950s. Consequently, our chef-owners were French-educated and grew up speaking French and enjoying French cuisine too. In other words, our Cambodian-and-French theme is an authentic reflection of…us!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Elephant Walk, The - Cambridge reviews from OpenTable diners
98 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (60)neighborhood gem (50)special occasion (35)good for groups (28)romantic (23)notable wine list (14)great for lunch (11)great for outdoor dining (7)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (4)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- fantastic foodemmmmmDined on 8/26/2014really delicious food all around. great options for flavor and vibrant colors combinedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Night out with FriendsAandAinActonDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I were joined by two other couples for a night out. Four of the six of us chose from a (restaurant week) prix fixe menu while two decided to order from the standard menu. We all had in common that our meals were excellent. Service was attentive and cheerful and it was a really nice enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- Still Great!LaGourmandeDined on 8/23/2014My sister and I had dinner at Elephant walk on Saturday night. I go there often because you can always count on the food - exotic, great combinations that I wouldn't have come up with but that are mouth-watering, healthy portions (both in size and content). We had two salads and were impressed by both, plus probably the best spring rolls I've had in a long time and the cod (it's gingery!). Everything was delicious! We felt well taken care of. I'd go back on a moment's notice.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekMoMoBoDined on 8/22/2014I went with my significant other for restaurant week and we had an excellent experience. They have a large RW menu & with the service and turnaround times they did not make it feel like that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/22/2014Service was good, but everything except that was just ok. Food, location, ambience... I went there with high expectations but left with disappointment.
- Great deal during restaurant weekCherrypieVIPDined on 8/21/2014Took advantage of the four course offer during restaurant week. The food is fantastic, more asian than french. Had a late sitting and ended up being the last people in the restarant and were tucked away in the corner - think the serving staff forgot about us for a bit as we had to ask again for desert and took a while to pay the check.Special Features:
- Great food, slow serviceKaleLoverDined on 8/19/2014The food was great, had the fried pork spring rolls, the beet and soba noodle salads, the tofu-veggie green curry, and catfish in spicy tomato sauce, and the mango sorbet and tea to finish. Was all excellent. Really good food. We were out on the patio, was a little noisy as it is right next to the street, but that is to be expected. While our waitress was very polite, the service was very slow (it was packed inside, and we were on the patio...), dinner took 3 hours. I was catching up with a friend, so it was actually nice to have the extra time, but I think it would have felt long otherwise. Would definitely recommend, but maybe sit inside.
- As always, deliciousBluemanDined on 8/17/2014Elephant Walk is one of our favorite places to eat. It's reasonably priced and the food is always prepared with care. We find the food to be consistently delicious. Service can be a bit slow, but the wait staff is attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistentDoodlesDined on 8/15/2014We always enjoy Elephant Walk. We tried the Poulet a la Citronnelle (sliced chicken breast with veggies in lemongrass sauce), one of my favorites, the Crevettes Kep sur Mer (shrimp sauteed in lemongrass, coconut milk, and lime), and Gratin de Quinoa aux Légumes (prepared with cauliflower, eggplant, zucchini, onion, and Grueyer cheese). Each was prepared beautifully and the taste was excellent. The sauces are delicate and flavorfull. We shared the best Creme Brulee I have every had anywhere. There is nothing not to like at EW. It is small and does get a bit noisy. That shouldn't stop you.Special Features:
- Great experienceBlackbonanzaDined on 8/1/2014Went there twice in less than 10 days. It was that good. We loved the French style cuisine and loved the Cambodian dishes as well. Great wine selection.Special Features:
- Good bur LimitedFlashDined on 7/31/2014The dishes that my wife & I had were good to very, but we found the menu limited compared to previous time we have dined there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food, as always.HarrisonDined on 7/26/2014I have been to Elephant Walk many times and I have never walked away disappointed. The food is always great (though it sounds unusual at first glance) and they have a nice variety of items, including the option to make many dishes vegan.Special Features:
- Great FlavorsYumboDined on 7/26/2014Loved Elephant Walk. There were so many different spices and tastes. The mussels were amazing and loaded with flavor. The price fixed menu is a great deal.Special Features:
- Menu has changedbostonfoodieVIPDined on 7/25/2014I was looking forward to some old and familiar items but it feels like the food quality has gone way down and the menu has changed. It is way over priced for what it is, and the food really lacked flavors. it's too bad.
- Great Food if You Eat MeatlarabugDined on 7/21/2014I've always been impressed with the quality and creativity of the food at Elephant Walk, so I was disappointed to find that their vegetarian food did not live up to their high standards. While the vegetarian spring rolls were great, both the Gratin De Quinoa Aux Legumes and the Vegan Mee Siem that we ordered were mediocre at best. I realize that neither French nor Cambodian cuisines are traditionally vegetarian friendly, but such a great restaurant should simply not allow such bland boring food to sully their menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodCambridgeCanalDined on 7/20/2014I have dined at Elephant Walk a number of times and the quality of the food is consistently good. Whether you choose, French, Cambodian or a combination, the preparation will not disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, ok service/ambianceFrequentBostonDinerDined on 7/18/201430 minutes from the time we sat down until somebody took our order. We weren't in any hurry so we were not pushing for service - nevertheless, 30 minutes without a waiter acknowledging a table is pretty bad. We preferred to sit outside because the air conditioning inside was a bit too cold for our liking. Outside was nice except that, with a bus stop nearby, every now & then a loud bus would accelerate right past us. Food was excellent but our waiter did nothing other than take our orders and then bring the check, even though we hadn't even asked for it. I think the sub-par experience related directly to the specific server we had and not to the restaurant itself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2014We are long time Elephant Walk diners. The menu change was interesting though the new shrimp dish was decent - we both missed the curry crevetes dish which is a more flavorful selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh Cambodian CuisineCantabrigian10Dined on 7/17/2014Wonderful, exotic flavors compliment fresh ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service Great FoodMarcyDined on 7/15/2014This is a local gem in every respect: setting, service and food. The setting is open and quietly "classy" but unpretentious. The staff greets you and is focused on making sure that you are comfortable and well served. But, they do not hover which is a blessing. The food is wonderful. There is a good selection of Cambodian, French and Cambodian-French dishes that should meet demands of all including carnivores, vegans and gluten free diners. Dishes are beautifully presented and serving sizes are ample for every appetite. We had the mussels with garlic, shrimp with jasmine rice and chicken with jasmine rice. For dessert we had the mango sorbet. This was at the suggestion of our waiter and it was a perfect finish. Definitely a place to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/10/2014Service was very good, good was interesting beautiful and well prepared. The seared tuna could have been a bit warmer.Special Features:
- Mediocre food and poor serviceOpentablepointsDined on 7/7/2014The food was very bland tasting and the dessert (chocolate caramel tart) tasted artificial. My entree had very few shrimp. Service was so slow and was overcharged on the bill. Even though I used a Groupon, I still feel like I overpaid.
- How do I keep forgetting?Dan4thDined on 7/7/2014I've never had a bad experience at the Elephant Walk, but I still only seem to make it there every five years or so. It's ridiculously convenient to my house, and the food and service are consistently spectacular, but I seem to keep forgetting to go. Note to self: make more time to visit the Elephant Walk.Special Features:
- Proper amount of spicesCharnedVIPDined on 6/28/2014Liberal use of lemongrass, parsley, scallion, and tamarind were duly noted and much appreciated in the Cambodian dishes. Service was a little haphazard, but the food (the smells, the plating, and most importantly the taste) were well worth the visit. I'll be coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great thai french fusionwineguyVIPDined on 6/28/2014Have eaten at the Elephant Walk many times. Sadly, Waltham location gone which was much closer so now only make it to Cambridge occasionally. Interesting mix of Thai and French cooking offering options for lots of different palates. Many vegetarian and vegan dishes. Not heavy but always tasty. Cambridge location has a downstairs as in windowless room which is surprisingly festive. Outside dining available but right on Mass. Ave. Worth the drive.Special Features:
- The gem of Porter SquareScottVIPDined on 6/27/2014Have been to both this location and the one in Boston many times, and have never been disappointed. Came here this time with relatives visiting from NYC. We were seated quickly and food, wine and ambience all were excellent. Not the sort of place you'd expect to find in the suburbs, and surprisingly affordable.Special Features:
- Delicious as alwaysEvelynDined on 6/15/2014The Elephant Walk - both of them - as always, proves itself to be a reliable and delicious choice. Perfect for vegetarians in our party, as any dish can be made vegan by replacement of meat or seafood with organic tofu (or mushrooms), the restaurant serves inspired French, Cambodian, or fusion dishes (the quinoa 'risotto' was amazing!), steeped loose-leaf tea (no teabags!), and has a nice selection of draught beers for any taste (from IPA to stout). Early Sunday evening, the restaurant was quiet (music at a respectful background level), and service fast and attentive. The baguette was crusty on the outside and soft on the inside, and almost ruined our meal (it was utterly impossible to stop eating it!). A meal here is always a winner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent LunchJrocksVIPDined on 6/12/2014We had a great, affordable and filling prix-fixe lunch on a rainy Thursday afternoon. The food really hit the spot and the server was absolutely fantastic. Really happy to discover this little neighborhood gem!Special Features:
- always a winnerhulawitchDined on 6/10/2014We chose to eat at the Elephant Walk following our son's graduation this week. The food, as always, was very good, the service attentive, the ambiance lovely. The restaurant was very accommodating as well, as we kept calling them to let them know we would be later and later after the graduation went late and then we couldn't get out of the parking lot for 45 minutes. They couldn't have been nicer and more reassuring that we would still have a table waiting for us.Special Features:
- Great 4 vegans & nonvegan friends!JackieDined on 5/31/2014Went for the vegan fare - many delicious options, husband was thrilled to have non vegan options ! Win - win and excellent bartender. Cool retro bar. We were in the downstairs room, which was fine, but if upstairs would have given higher rating for ambience .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, slow serviceyisforyetiDined on 5/30/2014Everything I and those in my group ordered was delicious. However, our server disappeared for long periods of time and it took a very long time to get the check. Perhaps this was not a concern for them because they add 18% gratuity for large groups?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything but the entreesblepcakeDined on 5/29/2014My wife and I went here for dinner the other night. The appetizers---mussels, chilled avocado soup, and soba-noodle salad---and aperitifs were wonderful, out waiter was great, the noise level was perfect. All was good *but* the entrees were a disappointment. Mine, salmon, was okay but nothing special. Hers, cassoulet, was soup-like, and in this soup was a 1-inch cube of gelatinous pig fat. You should have seen her face! That said, I still really enjoy this place. I'd just recommend ordering a few apps and leave it at that.Special Features:
- Very good food!JeriDined on 5/28/2014Lovely restaurant with good food, although the downstairs room was not as pleasant as upstairs.
- It never disappoints!SweetbizkitVIPDined on 5/21/2014Everything was delicious and exotic as always but this time the crème brulée was not well cooked (maybe cooked to fast, too high heat). Kindly enough they gave us a complementary Port wine. I highly recommend itSpecial Features:
- Encore, encore!LaGourmandeDined on 5/18/2014I can always count on Elephant Walk to deliver as promised. The blend of French and Cambodian is just exotic enough to lure me to new dishes I have not yet tried, and I am never disappointed. I went with a gluten conscious diner, and she was able to navigate the menu easily. The waitress was cordial and attentive. The food delicious. It's a real neighborhood treasure.Special Features:
- Great meal and service!SomervilleVIPDined on 5/17/2014We had a wonderful meal on Saturday night with very friendly service. We enjoyed a delicious bottle of Carmenere. Our meals - a Cambodian shrimp dish and a French tuna dish - were absolutely delicious! Our only slight complaint was that the special mussels appetizer was lacking in the flavor department. But our incredibly tasty main courses more than made up for it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, as alwaysNancyDined on 5/15/2014Wonderful specials enlarged the familiar, tasty menu. Good veggie choices, lots of delicious variety for everyone else. Nice wait staff, very uncrowded for an early (6:30 pm) dinner, but still had some tables upstairs at 8:30 pm when we left. Satisfying, tasty, warm room, great night with friends.Special Features:
- Amazing!BostonfoodluvrsDined on 5/11/2014Went for pre theater Mother's Day brunch and had 3 course prix fixe menu for about 30 dollars including aperitif. Everything was perfect and very innovative. Service was very good as well. One small caveat is that you may need to navigate through Harvard square to get where you are going after, and on Sunday this will take a long time. Try to go around.Special Features:
- pleasant surprisepr318VIPDined on 5/10/2014From the outside, the place didn't look like much. However, we were very happy with everything we ordered. We had the Nataing, Crepe Au Canard as starters and proceeded to have the Crevettes Kep Su Mer and the Amok Royal. Servings were just right (not overwhelming). We even had space for dessert ! Worth trying!Special Features:
- Good food, excellent serviceCantabridgianDined on 5/10/2014We brought friends who had not eaten at Elephant Walk in nearly a decade; for them it was like going to a new restaurant. The food was very good. Our waitress was friendly and efficient.