121 West Washington
Ann Arbor, MI 48104Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theearle.com/
- Phone: 7349940211
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:45 - 11:00pm, Sunday 5:00pm-8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, French
- Executive Chef: Shelley Caughey Adams
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: The Earle offers three separate private dining rooms.
- Private Party Contact: Zoe Cowan 7349940211
- Entertainment: Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday we have solo performers (piano or guitar) that play from 8pm until 10pm. On Friday and Saturday we have a soft jazz trio (usually piano, bass and drums). The trio plays from 8:30pm until close. No cover anytime.
- Cross Street: Ashley
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Public parking is available nearby as follows: 1) Large public surface lot that occupies the entire city block, bounded by Huron, First, Washington and Ashley. Entrances are on Ashley (northbound) and First (southbound). This lot is "kitty-corner" from our entrance on Washington St. 2) City parking structure on East Washington (1 1/2 blocks east of The Earle) 3) City structure (very large and always has space) on North Ashley (2 blocks north of The Earle) 4) Street (no meters after 6PM)
A word from The Earle
An award winning Ann Arbor institution since 1977, The Earle serves a rotating menu of fine Italian and French cuisine in a relaxed atmosphere. Selections include lamb chops, veal, beef tenderloin, salmon, duck breast, sea scallops and more. Live jazz plays Tuesday through Saturday in the dining room, while the wine bar offers lighter fare, twenty wines by the glass and Ann Arbor's best Happy Hour. The Earle's nationally recognized wine list (Wine Spectator's Best of Award of Excellence) offers over 1,400 selections. Three private rooms are available and accommodate groups from 6 to 48.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Earle - Best Restaurants in Ann Arbor ›
The Earle reviews from OpenTable diners
193 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (146)romantic (135)notable wine list (124)fit for foodies (104)good for groups (58)neighborhood gem (47)late-night find (21)vibrant bar scene (20)hot spot (10)kid-friendly (7)great for outdoor dining (6)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Excellent Food / Very Good ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014A great place for a romantic dinner, with dark, private booths and live piano in the main room. After a brief misstep where the hostess didnt acknowledge our OpenTable request for a booth, they were able to accomodate this request after I mentioned our preference. As we werent starving, we passed on appetizers, having a cocktail with the bread (pretty plain). Our dinners came promptly for a Saturday night, as did our glasses of Cabernet to have with the entrees. My wife's Filet in Roquefort sauce was excellent, and my Veal Scallopine was very good as well. Our shared Tiramisu dessert was a great finish, although more chocolate shavings on top than I would have preferred. Overall, service was professional and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good/service a bit slow2csodinersVIPDined on 9/27/2014The Earle has been in Ann Arbor for a long time, and is one of the few restaurants that takes reservations on a football Saturday. We had a party of 7. Although it is located in a basement, the Earle had an upscale feel. The waitress was pleasant enough, but a little too formal. Drinks and food were very slow to arrive, probably due to most people arriving after the game. The food was good. The bread brought before the meal was very good. The veal scallopini, the whitefish, and the salmon were tasty. There were good-sized portions. Our party thought the atmosphere was nice. A pianist and bass player played in the background - not too loud at all. Overall, we felt it was a very nice place and we would definitely consider returning.Special Features:
- WinthorpeDined on 9/26/2014Excellent food and selection. I look forward to returning.Special Features:
- Boeuf au Poivre is excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/26/2014The Earl is our go-to restaurant for birthday and special occasion dinners. We have stuck to our two favorite "boeuf" dishes (poivre and roquefort), but change out the hors d'oeuvres which are always excellent. Desserts are always a treat-when we have room for them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- winealittleDined on 9/26/2014A great restaurant! Its unique atmosphere complements its great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The EarleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014Easily one of the top five restaurants in Ann Arbor and I rank it as the best. Super nice place that most days of the week has a piano or two piece band playing nice mello music. It's more of live background music and you do not need to raise your voice at all for the people around you to hear you. The food is amazing especially the steak. They have the reputation of being a super nice, but super expensive place. The dining room is this way, but most people do not know about the wine bar. You still get to hear music and it has great seating. And they have a regular priced menu there too so that you do not have to spend a lot of money and still get great food. They also have a great happy hour where you get X% off on drinks and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerCrossgrovesVIPDined on 9/22/2014Enjoyed a leisurely dinner with five companions for my 65th birthday. Menu was very comprehensive and wine list to match. Dining area is in basement but enhanced by a large wine bar. No piano player on Mondays, but did receive a generous discount in recognition of birthday (ID req'd)Special Features:
- Hard to go wrong at The EarleOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/22/2014The Earle is a long-time Ann Arbor standout. As always, the menu is varied, the food uniformly good, the service attentive, and the wine list excellent. The whitefish is especially good. I wish they had lake perch on the menu more often. We recently took fussy east-coast guests there, and they were impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Goof FindAdamDined on 9/20/2014This restaurant is a little hidden being in the basement. It was a good dinning experience and good food.
- Nice spotopfoodiesVIPDined on 9/20/2014We were with our 2 daughters for Parent's weekend. We had a nice alcove that was cozy and allowed us to visit with each other without a lot of noise interference.Special Features:
- Lovely dinner on a busy nightsapmichDined on 9/19/2014We had a group of 7 at The Earle during Michigan's parents weekend. There were lines everywhere and we were really glad to have a dinner reservation. The entrance to The Earle is kind of weird, as it is below street level but once you get past the nondescript entry door and narrow stairway and cramped entrance, the restaurant has great atmosphere. We were ushered right to our table even thought a couple of our party were still dealing with parking. Waitstaff had their hands full that night, but did a very nice job. It was hard to find appetizers that were good for a group to share. They were all small portions even though they were pricey. Everyone loved their main course. High quality beef, delicious sauces. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Presentation MattersEarlefanbutDined on 9/19/2014We have dinesd at the early many times through out the years. This experience was disappointing. OK parents weekend at the University of Michigsn had the placed packed to capacity. When we arrived and seated, we were told that dinners were taking 45 minutes in the kitchen once the order was placed. Given the Earles tenure and experience, yes crowded, but this was a bit of a surprise. Not that we were in any hurry. This signals a bit of stress on their operating system and made me count the time (actually 55 minutes). The meals were good, but not to their usual. Plates seemed hurriedly put together with no attention presentation. I had the lamb chops were medium vs the medium rare I ordered. Same was true for two duck orders.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A restaurant well past it's primeGoBlueCrewVIPDined on 9/19/2014This restaurant located in the lower level of a landmark downtown office building features musty, dirty carpeting that should have been replaced years ago as well as lighting that flickers for you due to improper installation. The service was reasonably attentive on this busy evening but the salads were small and soggy. As for the entrees, all six members of my party judged them just OK and I think they were trying to put a positive spin on things. The house made carrot cake was soggy like my salad and lacking in taste. Until they sink some money into a physical and emotional refresh for this place, you can avoid it.
- A terrific date nightJeff2362Dined on 9/19/2014The Earle is a favorite of ours. For this visit we enjoyed a quiet table in one of the side rooms. The noise level was much lower than on the main part of the floor. We both enjoyed the escargot; there was no hint of rubbery-ness that comes from overcooking. The salmon entree was terrific, with the lemon offsetting the tapenade nicely. The filet au poivre was finished with a deli-glacé, potatoes au gratin, and carrots and brussel sprouts. The carrot cake was among the. Best we have had. We will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Od favorite, still going strongDTWOBDined on 9/18/2014Our 25th wedding anniversary dinner at The Earl was worth the 2 hr. drive across town from Shelby Twp., through rush hour and 1.5 hr. drive back home. The goat cheese and roasted garlic apps were fantastic. We highly recommend the duck breast, roasted herb chicken, salmon in puff pastry and the veal. Nice to see that the corkage charge was reasonable at $30. Very attentive staff, knowledgeable somm (Steve). Only downside was that nothing special was done to help us celebrate our anniversary. Not necessary, but it would have been nice.Special Features:
- First timer.K1983Dined on 9/18/2014After researching online me and my boyfriend decided to make reservations here for my birthday. We were not disappointed! Our server was awesome and we loved the ambiance. We ordered the delmonico and the duck breast dinners and we were both in heaven:-) And the best surprise was since it was my birthday we got 30% off our bill. Was not expecting that! Definitely will be returning to this gem:-DSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Choice and convenient...JGinA2Dined on 9/18/2014Had been a few years since I had enjoyed dining at The Earle. Being local and seeing how new restaurants flow in and out of Ann Arbor, one can never go wrong here. While it is a bit on the dim side because it is in the lower level and not one window to be found, it emits classical and historical Ann Arbor. The brick and stone walls give a "homey" feeling, paired with simply wonderful food and such pleasant servers. The menu is very appealing and the portions were VERY generous. Desserts are numerous and simply wonderful. There are more expensive restaurants in Ann Arbor, and The Earle is not on the low end, for moderately expensive dining, The Earle gives much more than your bill will reflect. Will not wait a few years to return.Special Features:
- New favoriteFoodcriticDined on 9/15/2014Anyone who goes to the Earle know the Earle. It's in the basement of a building but it's nice and cozy and great for any special occasion. The food was excellent and they have a notable wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening TreatpettimaxVIPDined on 9/14/2014Enjoyed a fantastic meal and evening with a good friendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful restaurant.InowloveduckDined on 9/14/2014The soft music, dim lighting and all around ambiance of the Earle make it an extremely pleasant and romantic place. I would recommend not only the "duck" but the entire place. Five out of five stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeDmcmDined on 9/14/2014Quick service, great staff, the food was delicious, wine selection was great (if you are not into getting a whole bottle ask for the glass list. Also they have a pretty decent beer list and a cocktail menu as well.).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique environmentUniqueDined on 9/12/2014The food and service were espectacular. I will highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- a must goalexVIPDined on 9/12/2014If your wish is for service food and wine that are all amazing then look no further. Top spot in a2Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great waitstaffcorkrocketDined on 9/11/2014We visited the Earle for my father's 80th birthday. The waitstaff was attentive and entertaining, and everyone enjoyed their entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JKimmyDined on 9/10/2014Food was good but portion may seemed a little too small for its price. Great mood with live music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Okay, not worth the $$KristiDined on 9/5/2014Its in the basement & smells like a musty carpet. Two waiters; the male waiter very unpleasant, seemed uninterested in waiting tables. The female (Lisa I think) very pleasant thank God for "her" or our eve. would have been a big disappointment. food is pricey for the quality. We eat out quite often, & have had much tastier meals for a bit less. I ordered steak, medium & it was a little overcooked. My husband ordered Salmon baked in phyllo dough, that was okay, not bad. The veggies with both entrees was a very small portion. I wanted to order the mussels as an appetizer but they only serve them during "Happy Hour" and you have to sit at the bar to order them. Disappointed cuz it's supposed to be a signature plate. We will not return.Special Features:
- Hidden GemAAFoodie1Dined on 9/2/2014The Earle was excellent! I highly recommend it for delicious French and Italian. The food and wine was very good -- the best caprese salad that I've had in quite a while and our main pastas were each very good. Definitely worth checking out.Special Features:
- Dinner favDers123Dined on 8/30/2014We go back to The Earl again and again with guests because we can be assured we will have excellent food and service. We had 6 in our party and everyone had a perfect meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- marygmarygVIPDined on 8/30/2014We have eaten at the Earle many times over many years when visiting A2. The food and ambience are always wonderful, music is an added plus. In a town with many outstanding dining options, the Earle is consistently among the top tier. The female wait staff and hostesses have always been pleasant, knowledgeable, helpful and attentive. Unfortunately, we've had less pleasant experiences with the sommelier and male wait staff. This was one of those times. Out of fairness, it was a football Saturday and our female server was excellent, but the other two impacted our subpar score for service this time.Special Features:
- DeliciouswinetoloveDined on 8/30/2014the food was outstanding. the steak was best I've had in a long time. Its a little on the pricey side. But I believe you get what you pay for. The service was great. The wine list was great. I can not say enough how wonderful our food was. Took a gamble buying a travelzoo coupon and I was not disappointed, definitely will return here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, "relaxed" serviceLamontDined on 8/28/2014We've been to The Earle many times & it usually delights. The food has always been well prepared & flavorful - this time was no different. The noise level was moderate - active conversations competed with the background piano, but overall was not distracting. The only surprise this time was how long it took for our food to be delivered. We arrived on time for a 7 pm appt, were seated immediately, & promptly attended to by wait staff. However, the time between placing an order & receiving items was a bit slower than normal; worse was our main course...ordered about 7:30 pm, but not delivered until about 8:20 pm., with no notice of a delay, or acknowledgement from the wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Earle hors d'ouevres, dessertsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014The roasted garlic is superb, and the desserts are to die for.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerHappilymarried25yearsDined on 8/26/2014My wife and I had never been to the Earl, but we've known about it for years and several people we know had recommended it to us as a great place to dine. Well, I'd have to say that we were pleasantly surprised. The food was exceptional, both presentation, quality, and more importantly...taste! And the wine list reads like a who's who of wine - very impressive. We will most certainly come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect restaurantExcellentDined on 8/25/2014Remarcable restaurant. Nice anbience food and service. Perfect por especial occationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful Anniversary dinnerFitzDined on 8/25/2014We celebrated a grat wedding anniversary at the Earle. Superb dinner and a very reasonable and large Wine list. We'll return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningeatingthruA2Dined on 8/23/2014Regularly go out with another couple to try restaurants new to us. Heard many good things about this long standing place in Ann Arbor. Started with well poured cocktails and skipped the appetizers House salads were basic but the Panzanella was a refreshing treat. Everyone ordered something different which gave us a great opportunity to share tastes. Duck breast, Beef tenderloin, Delmonico steak, and Whitefish all prepared exactly as ordered. Portions were spot on. Service was attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somewhat disappointingretfernlibDined on 8/22/2014The good news is that we received a discount for my husband's birthday (which I did not know of ahead of time). While the view of the restaurant from where we sat was lovely, the plaid upholstered booths where we sat were rather tired looking. The service was attentive but one of the servers was friendly in an over familiar way, calling me "ladybug" at one point. The menu was "old style" traditional; I expected to see cassoulet, for example or maybe boullabaise. But the food was well-prepared. I don't understand why they give you a bottle-only wine list "notebook," and you have to ask for the wine by the glass list. Not a bad experience; we appreciated the low noise level.Special Features:
- VERY Unsatisfied!ButterflyDined on 8/19/2014Love OpenTable Reservations. Works great and most convenient! We were extremely disappointed with our dinner at The Earle!! Scallops were ok, but the steak dinner was awful!!! Full of grizzle, not much there to eat that was any good. Expected more from a $30 entree, that doesn't even come with a dinner salad. The wee couple pieces of brussels sprouts were barely visible and nothing much for taste. Presentation? Well, frankly there was no presentation. One would think the service would be outstanding, but it was not. Barely even saw our waiter.Would NEVER go there again, unless they choose to make it up to us. We were there to celebrate an occasion, but the meal was very disappointing!!We expected fine dining, we certainly did not get that!
- The Very BestDeidreDined on 8/16/2014In celebration of my spouses birthday, we decided upon recommendation from others , this would be a good choice. This was the BEST choice ever!!! The food was outstanding, the service was on point & the entertainment ( jazz trio) fit the bill. We are looking forward to our next evening out at The Earle !Special Features:
- excellenttopdawg73Dined on 8/16/2014The staff was outstanding and the food was wonderful. Prices very reasonable for the quality of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.