121 West Washington
Ann Arbor, MI 48104Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theearle.com/
- Phone: (734) 994-0211
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:45 - 11:00pm, Sunday 5:00pm-8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, French
- Executive Chef: Shelley Caughey Adams
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: The Earle offers three separate private dining rooms.
- Private Party Contact: Zoe Cowan 7349940211
- Entertainment: Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday we have solo performers (piano or guitar) that play from 8pm until 10pm. On Friday and Saturday we have a soft jazz trio (usually piano, bass and drums). The trio plays from 8:30pm until close. No cover anytime.
- Cross Street: Ashley
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Public parking is available nearby as follows: 1) Large public surface lot that occupies the entire city block, bounded by Huron, First, Washington and Ashley. Entrances are on Ashley (northbound) and First (southbound). This lot is "kitty-corner" from our entrance on Washington St. 2) City parking structure on East Washington (1 1/2 blocks east of The Earle) 3) City structure (very large and always has space) on North Ashley (2 blocks north of The Earle) 4) Street (no meters after 6PM)
A word from The Earle
An award winning Ann Arbor institution since 1977, The Earle serves a rotating menu of fine Italian and French cuisine in a relaxed atmosphere. Selections include lamb chops, veal, beef tenderloin, salmon, duck breast, sea scallops and more. Live jazz plays Tuesday through Saturday in the dining room, while the wine bar offers lighter fare, twenty wines by the glass and Ann Arbor's best Happy Hour. The Earle's nationally recognized wine list (Wine Spectator's Best of Award of Excellence) offers over 1,400 selections. Three private rooms are available and accommodate groups from 6 to 48.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Earle - Best Restaurants in Ann Arbor ›
The Earle reviews from OpenTable diners
206 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (136)notable wine list (127)romantic (125)fit for foodies (119)good for groups (63)neighborhood gem (52)vibrant bar scene (22)late-night find (20)hot spot (12)great for outdoor dining (7)kid-friendly (5)great for lunch (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Loved the Earle. Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/22/2014Loved the Earle. It is my go to place after UM football games with my family. I return b/c of the food, the service and the live jazz. It's pricey but I love it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very niceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/22/2014was out first visit, came after football game , with my wife, 17 and 12 tear old daughters...all enjoyed......Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always an excellent choice!greatasteDined on 11/14/2014From the moment we were greeted at the coat check we knew this was going to be an excellent experience. We were seated almost immediately, greeted by a server. The service was attentive without "hovering". The food was excellent, the mixed drinks tasty and the wine list very pleasing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PtauntptauntVIPDined on 11/14/2014As a repeat customer of the Earle, I am always impressed with the quality of the food and the service. I have been there with business colleagues and also with family. The staff treats you very well and the food is very high quality. This time we tried the pasta dishes and the presentations were excellent and the flavors were very full bodied and spicy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner celebrationGooditimesDined on 11/8/2014The service was perfect. The food was delicious and the whole dining experience was wonderful. This was our second time at the Earle for a birthday dinner. I am sure we will go back. Loved the dinner music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time dining at The EarleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner at The Earle. The food was excellent, the service was great, and we loved the live jazz music. It was a great dining experience, and we would definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Earle GemOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/1/2014Love The Earle as always. Great for an evening out or a special occasion. We go here often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Guests were impressed!BbjoVIPDined on 11/1/2014Had a couple of friends from Canada join us at a U of M football game and we made reservations at The Earle. We have eaten there several times before and have never been disappointed. True to form the service was excellent and the food was outstanding. We really enjoy the mix of Italian, French, Mediterranean choices on the menu. My guests were very impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Though I lived in Ann Arbor for 5 years, I had never tried The Earle and was so excited to go! Unfortunately, The Earle did not live up to expectations. The service was incredibly slow (took over an hour to get our entrees, none of which were anything out of the ordinary) and when the food did arrive, it was incredibly salty and sloppy. The French Onion soup was not edible. What a bummer - maybe we came on an off night, but there are too many good restaurants in Ann Arbor that I will not be going back!
- Slightly disappointedDubbDined on 11/1/2014I've been to the Earle a few times now and the food has been very good. The service wasn't as good as the first time but I believe it was just this waiter and not representative of the overall restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodFollyVIPDined on 10/31/2014Food is good and a nice mix. Restaurant in basement of old building which provides a nice ambience. The bar are is great if you just want that resource.Special Features:
- Reliably goodthomps97VIPDined on 10/31/2014We have been going to the Earle for the past 25 years, and it remains a wonderful restaurant. We enjoyed the live jazz on a Friday night. The menu had many, many things I would have liked to have tried. I had the salmon with fennel, which was great. Two in my party had the "beef burgundy" which was a perfectly cooked filet with a nice wine sauce. The pasta pesto was a little on the garlicky side. Desserts were outstanding. We had great help in selecting a good bottle of wine. I wish there was a larger selection by the glass. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great place for a conversation.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/29/2014Love that there is no T.V. sets blaring. Good music, quiet atmosphere. Love to go here when I really want to "catch up" with friends and family.Special Features:
- Excellent Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/23/2014In recent years, we've found the restaurant less consistent than it had been in previous decades...less than stellar service sometimes and not the usual excellent food. I'm happy to report we had a spectacular experience at the Earle this week. We had a veteran waitress who provided absolutely perfect service. And the food was terrific. Two at our table had duck, one had salmon, one had pork tenderloin and I had lamb. I also had the Mediterranean salad....one of my faves. Everything was served hot and nicely plated.Special Features:
- Good Food for Grown-upsNightoutDined on 10/19/2014Ambiance was nice, seating in booths was not enjoyable. Booths are close to table and little wiggle room on very hard seats. Food was excellent. Wait staff was great for drinks, food ordering was slow but prompt with delivery. We enjoyed the beef dishes and will return. Wine list is extensive, and beer selection very good.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/18/2014Love the jazz trio while dining, but disappointed in the salmon wrapped in puff pastry. The salmon had a very strong flavor and I love salmon. My husband order the veal and was also disappointed. My apologies, but will definitely return for drinks in the bar and appetizers.Special Features:
- The earl restaurantJniceDined on 10/18/2014It was ok. Service seemed to take awhile. The restaurant was extremely busy when we went. It was Saturday evening at 7. If I go back I would rather go when there are less people leaving the option for better seating and service. I also like the happy hour during the week better prior to dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a great experience.RoseffinDined on 10/18/2014One of my favorite spots for a romantic meal. The food is delicious. The service is friendly and efficient. Great atmosphere and they have a live band. Couldn't recommend more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Traditional elegance!AnonymousVIPDined on 10/18/2014This was my first time dining at The Earle. As a wine lover, I appreciated the cork motif throughout the restaurant. The menu was varied, and a bit pricey. Bread and butter were served shortly after waiter's greeting. The bread was delicious, but I wish it was served warm. The butter was good too, which sounds weird, but many places serve butter that is hard and tastes like the refrigerator. We ordered the risotto ball appetizer, and filet and Delmonico entrees. Nothing disappointed, but I'd love to try new options next time. The cocktails were tasty. When our waiter discovered the bar didn't serve what I requested, he took it upon himself to create a reasonable facsimile. I thought that was considerate. Service overall was excellent.Special Features:
- Wonderful experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Great food, service, and atmosphere. Would definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebwDined on 10/16/2014Fantastic experience. Our only negative comment is that we weren't sure who our server was. At first, a man approach us and took our drink orders, then a woman took our meal orders, then a man took our dessert order and the woman brought the check. (Which was wrong because we initially gave the man a coupon when he first approached us.) In the end, it was fixed but was a little confusing as to who was who.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/13/2014The experience was overall fine. The staff wasn't overly informative unless asked. There was only 1 pinot noir offered by the glass and no by the glass wine menu. The food was good. However, the overall experience lacking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely place to dinePenguinDined on 10/7/2014Nice setting , food is fantastic , even my son who doesn't usually enthuse about things, said it was great.Special Features:
- ConsistentLamontDined on 10/5/2014Food at the Earle has been consistently good and we have our favorites (sautéed duck breast, veal scalolops, sea scallops) but most everything can be counted on to be excellent. Service is usually relaxed but attentive - no rushing us to clear the table. They have an extensive wine list with a range of prices to suit.Special Features:
- Great Bday HeremeepDined on 10/4/2014Celebrated sis's bday here. Great food - get the scallops!Special Features:
- Great but slowSharkrescuedogDined on 10/4/2014It over two hours to have dinner.... Way to long. Food was good though.Special Features:
- Bates2014Dined on 10/4/2014The environment and staff were great but the food was not at the level of the prices.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/3/2014The Earle proved to be just right for our daughter's birthday celebration. Food was excellent, service was prompt without rushing. (Laurie was especially friendly and accommodating.) The kitchen was spot on in its adjustments to meet my wife's dietary restrictions. The lamb chops were outstanding, as were the scallops of veal--although a little heavy on the tasty sauce. A bit pricey, but a fine restaurant usually is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingFit4kingsDined on 10/3/2014You can never go wrong at the Earle. It's a great place to meet friends, great food, great service and friendly staff. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fun place for birthdayitalianchickDined on 10/1/2014I chose The Earl because I wanted a special night to celebrate my husband's birthday . It was my first time there but we will definitely go again. The crab cakes were a wonderful start , crispy on the outside , creamy on the inside. I had the whitefish, very yummy, a little heavy for me but so delicious. My husband had salmon with basil and tomato sauce , very good, cooked just right with olive something that was different and added an interesting flavor. They brought out the tempting desserts which all looked amazing, and we tried the creme brulee, sooo creamy and wonderful and it came out with a candle for hubby. The staff was perfect and I do mean perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- don't ask for a boothOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/29/2014Everything was perfect but the booths really seem to test your posture and are built for men who are 6 ft or above.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food / Very Good ServiceNewEnglandSteveDined on 9/27/2014A great place for a romantic dinner, with dark, private booths and live piano in the main room. After a brief misstep where the hostess didnt acknowledge our OpenTable request for a booth, they were able to accomodate this request after I mentioned our preference. As we werent starving, we passed on appetizers, having a cocktail with the bread (pretty plain). Our dinners came promptly for a Saturday night, as did our glasses of Cabernet to have with the entrees. My wife's Filet in Roquefort sauce was excellent, and my Veal Scallopine was very good as well. Our shared Tiramisu dessert was a great finish, although more chocolate shavings on top than I would have preferred. Overall, service was professional and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good/service a bit slow2csodinersVIPDined on 9/27/2014The Earle has been in Ann Arbor for a long time, and is one of the few restaurants that takes reservations on a football Saturday. We had a party of 7. Although it is located in a basement, the Earle had an upscale feel. The waitress was pleasant enough, but a little too formal. Drinks and food were very slow to arrive, probably due to most people arriving after the game. The food was good. The bread brought before the meal was very good. The veal scallopini, the whitefish, and the salmon were tasty. There were good-sized portions. Our party thought the atmosphere was nice. A pianist and bass player played in the background - not too loud at all. Overall, we felt it was a very nice place and we would definitely consider returning.Special Features:
- WinthorpeDined on 9/26/2014Excellent food and selection. I look forward to returning.Special Features:
- Boeuf au Poivre is excellentbeefdateDined on 9/26/2014The Earl is our go-to restaurant for birthday and special occasion dinners. We have stuck to our two favorite "boeuf" dishes (poivre and roquefort), but change out the hors d'oeuvres which are always excellent. Desserts are always a treat-when we have room for them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- winealittleDined on 9/26/2014A great restaurant! Its unique atmosphere complements its great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BEST WAITER EVERhootDined on 9/25/2014We can here for my roommate's birthday. The food was great - especially the duck. The ambience isn't really my style - a bit dark and serious - but our waiter was hilarious. We joked that we wanted the leftover currants boxed up to take home, and the waiter came back with them in a tiny container. He was actually my waiter previously and was similarly hilarious. Great service as well, of course.Special Features:
- The EarleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014Easily one of the top five restaurants in Ann Arbor and I rank it as the best. Super nice place that most days of the week has a piano or two piece band playing nice mello music. It's more of live background music and you do not need to raise your voice at all for the people around you to hear you. The food is amazing especially the steak. They have the reputation of being a super nice, but super expensive place. The dining room is this way, but most people do not know about the wine bar. You still get to hear music and it has great seating. And they have a regular priced menu there too so that you do not have to spend a lot of money and still get great food. They also have a great happy hour where you get X% off on drinks and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerCrossgrovesVIPDined on 9/22/2014Enjoyed a leisurely dinner with five companions for my 65th birthday. Menu was very comprehensive and wine list to match. Dining area is in basement but enhanced by a large wine bar. No piano player on Mondays, but did receive a generous discount in recognition of birthday (ID req'd)Special Features:
- Hard to go wrong at The EarleOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/22/2014The Earle is a long-time Ann Arbor standout. As always, the menu is varied, the food uniformly good, the service attentive, and the wine list excellent. The whitefish is especially good. I wish they had lake perch on the menu more often. We recently took fussy east-coast guests there, and they were impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.