121 West Washington
Ann Arbor, MI 48104Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.theearle.com/
- Phone: 7349940211
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Friday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:45 - 11:00pm, Sunday 5:00pm-8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, French
- Executive Chef: Shelley Caughey Adams
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: The Earle offers three separate private dining rooms.
- Private Party Contact: Zoe Cowan 7349940211
- Entertainment: Tuesday-Wednesday-Thursday we have solo performers (piano or guitar) that play from 8pm until 10pm. On Friday and Saturday we have a soft jazz trio (usually piano, bass and drums). The trio plays from 8:30pm until close. No cover anytime.
- Cross Street: Ashley
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Public parking is available nearby as follows: 1) Large public surface lot that occupies the entire city block, bounded by Huron, First, Washington and Ashley. Entrances are on Ashley (northbound) and First (southbound). This lot is "kitty-corner" from our entrance on Washington St. 2) City parking structure on East Washington (1 1/2 blocks east of The Earle) 3) City structure (very large and always has space) on North Ashley (2 blocks north of The Earle) 4) Street (no meters after 6PM)
A word from The Earle
An award winning Ann Arbor institution since 1977, The Earle serves a rotating menu of fine Italian and French cuisine in a relaxed atmosphere. Selections include lamb chops, veal, beef tenderloin, salmon, duck breast, sea scallops and more. Live jazz plays Tuesday through Saturday in the dining room, while the wine bar offers lighter fare, twenty wines by the glass and Ann Arbor's best Happy Hour. The Earle's nationally recognized wine list (Wine Spectator's Best of Award of Excellence) offers over 1,400 selections. Three private rooms are available and accommodate groups from 6 to 48.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Earle - Best Restaurants in Ann Arbor ›
The Earle reviews from OpenTable diners
172 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (137)romantic (129)notable wine list (114)fit for foodies (93)good for groups (50)neighborhood gem (43)vibrant bar scene (20)late-night find (19)hot spot (11)great for outdoor dining (8)kid-friendly (6)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (2)Show More
- New favoriteFoodcriticDined on 9/15/2014Anyone who goes to the Earle know the Earle. It's in the basement of a building but it's nice and cozy and great for any special occasion. The food was excellent and they have a notable wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening TreatpettimaxVIPDined on 9/14/2014Enjoyed a fantastic meal and evening with a good friendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful restaurant.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014The soft music, dim lighting and all around ambiance of the Earle make it an extremely pleasant and romantic place. I would recommend not only the "duck" but the entire place. Five out of five stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014Quick service, great staff, the food was delicious, wine selection was great (if you are not into getting a whole bottle ask for the glass list. Also they have a pretty decent beer list and a cocktail menu as well.).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique environmentUniqueDined on 9/12/2014The food and service were espectacular. I will highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- a must goalexVIPDined on 9/12/2014If your wish is for service food and wine that are all amazing then look no further. Top spot in a2Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great waitstaffcorkrocketDined on 9/11/2014We visited the Earle for my father's 80th birthday. The waitstaff was attentive and entertaining, and everyone enjoyed their entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JKimmyDined on 9/10/2014Food was good but portion may seemed a little too small for its price. Great mood with live music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemAAFoodie1Dined on 9/2/2014The Earle was excellent! I highly recommend it for delicious French and Italian. The food and wine was very good -- the best caprese salad that I've had in quite a while and our main pastas were each very good. Definitely worth checking out.Special Features:
- Dinner favDers123Dined on 8/30/2014We go back to The Earl again and again with guests because we can be assured we will have excellent food and service. We had 6 in our party and everyone had a perfect meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- marygmarygVIPDined on 8/30/2014We have eaten at the Earle many times over many years when visiting A2. The food and ambience are always wonderful, music is an added plus. In a town with many outstanding dining options, the Earle is consistently among the top tier. The female wait staff and hostesses have always been pleasant, knowledgeable, helpful and attentive. Unfortunately, we've had less pleasant experiences with the sommelier and male wait staff. This was one of those times. Out of fairness, it was a football Saturday and our female server was excellent, but the other two impacted our subpar score for service this time.Special Features:
- DeliciouswinetoloveDined on 8/30/2014the food was outstanding. the steak was best I've had in a long time. Its a little on the pricey side. But I believe you get what you pay for. The service was great. The wine list was great. I can not say enough how wonderful our food was. Took a gamble buying a travelzoo coupon and I was not disappointed, definitely will return here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, "relaxed" serviceLamontDined on 8/28/2014We've been to The Earle many times & it usually delights. The food has always been well prepared & flavorful - this time was no different. The noise level was moderate - active conversations competed with the background piano, but overall was not distracting. The only surprise this time was how long it took for our food to be delivered. We arrived on time for a 7 pm appt, were seated immediately, & promptly attended to by wait staff. However, the time between placing an order & receiving items was a bit slower than normal; worse was our main course...ordered about 7:30 pm, but not delivered until about 8:20 pm., with no notice of a delay, or acknowledgement from the wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Earle hors d'ouevres, dessertsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/27/2014The roasted garlic is superb, and the desserts are to die for.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerHappilymarried25yearsDined on 8/26/2014My wife and I had never been to the Earl, but we've known about it for years and several people we know had recommended it to us as a great place to dine. Well, I'd have to say that we were pleasantly surprised. The food was exceptional, both presentation, quality, and more importantly...taste! And the wine list reads like a who's who of wine - very impressive. We will most certainly come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect restaurantExcellentDined on 8/25/2014Remarcable restaurant. Nice anbience food and service. Perfect por especial occationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful Anniversary dinnerFitzDined on 8/25/2014We celebrated a grat wedding anniversary at the Earle. Superb dinner and a very reasonable and large Wine list. We'll return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningeatingthruA2Dined on 8/23/2014Regularly go out with another couple to try restaurants new to us. Heard many good things about this long standing place in Ann Arbor. Started with well poured cocktails and skipped the appetizers House salads were basic but the Panzanella was a refreshing treat. Everyone ordered something different which gave us a great opportunity to share tastes. Duck breast, Beef tenderloin, Delmonico steak, and Whitefish all prepared exactly as ordered. Portions were spot on. Service was attentive and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somewhat disappointingretfernlibDined on 8/22/2014The good news is that we received a discount for my husband's birthday (which I did not know of ahead of time). While the view of the restaurant from where we sat was lovely, the plaid upholstered booths where we sat were rather tired looking. The service was attentive but one of the servers was friendly in an over familiar way, calling me "ladybug" at one point. The menu was "old style" traditional; I expected to see cassoulet, for example or maybe boullabaise. But the food was well-prepared. I don't understand why they give you a bottle-only wine list "notebook," and you have to ask for the wine by the glass list. Not a bad experience; we appreciated the low noise level.Special Features:
- VERY Unsatisfied!ButterflyDined on 8/19/2014Love OpenTable Reservations. Works great and most convenient! We were extremely disappointed with our dinner at The Earle!! Scallops were ok, but the steak dinner was awful!!! Full of grizzle, not much there to eat that was any good. Expected more from a $30 entree, that doesn't even come with a dinner salad. The wee couple pieces of brussels sprouts were barely visible and nothing much for taste. Presentation? Well, frankly there was no presentation. One would think the service would be outstanding, but it was not. Barely even saw our waiter.Would NEVER go there again, unless they choose to make it up to us. We were there to celebrate an occasion, but the meal was very disappointing!!We expected fine dining, we certainly did not get that!
- The Very BestDeidreDined on 8/16/2014In celebration of my spouses birthday, we decided upon recommendation from others , this would be a good choice. This was the BEST choice ever!!! The food was outstanding, the service was on point & the entertainment ( jazz trio) fit the bill. We are looking forward to our next evening out at The Earle !Special Features:
- excellenttopdawg73Dined on 8/16/2014The staff was outstanding and the food was wonderful. Prices very reasonable for the quality of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ClassicNanDavidVIPDined on 8/13/2014The Earle is an Ann Arbor classic. I think they must have been understaffed the night we went. Took a long time to even have our order taken. The Earle is a great Fall/Winter spot. I felt like I wanted to be outside where there was a lot more action. But, you really cannot go wrong dining at The Earle.
- Graduation Celebrationlive2eatDined on 8/13/2014My boyfriend and I went to The Earle to celebrate his graduation and we were not disappointed. The service was stellar, the food was amazing, and the ambiance was romantic. When the pianist came over (we were seated immediately adjacent to the piano), we were worried. However, he is very talented and the volume was appropriate so that we did not have to shout over each other. It was a lovely touch to the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeMaryDDined on 8/11/2014This was our first time at The Earle. Everything was fantastic. The food was great and cooked just right. I had Tenderloin and my husband the Delmonico steak. It was cooked just the way we like it. Service was fast and attentive. We definitely would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Formerly fine diningLisaDined on 8/11/2014Ate here 4 times this past year. Each time was a little less good than the one before. It is quite pricey and the food is exceedingly salty. Even the bread. And I like my food on the salty side. The lamb had so much fat removed that it was dry ... Should have sent it back. The whitefish was perfectly cooked. It paired well with the spinach except for the over-saltiness. Have been going here for more than 30 years. It has been our "special celebration meal" for much of that time. Alas, we'll not return.Special Features:
- special occasiondrpoleyDined on 8/8/2014The restaurant was very accommodating when I called to add an extra person and push our time back an additional 15 minutes. In the beginning the service was slow and the band very large. but within 10 minutes all was good, the band took a break and the waiter and the bar service was under control. The food was extremely timely and delicious. Everyone enjoyed their selection. The dessert was different and delicious along with the our guest celebrating their birthday! Thank you for a lovely evening.Special Features:
- Gave us a $10 gift cardJunojessDined on 8/7/2014I am a picky eater and this place has awesome food. The service is great and they even gave us a $10 gift card for celebrating our anniversary with them! How great is that!?! We also loved the live music. 😃👍Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st Visitmaizeblue82Dined on 8/7/2014Good Food, Good Service. I'd heard of The Earle for years but this was my first visit. It's worthy of a 2nd visit.Special Features:
- Ann Arbor's gemA2foodieVIPDined on 8/5/2014The Earle is my Ann Arbor go to favorite. It has been around forever-- service, food, ambience -- always great. PLUS-- and a huge plus -- the level of noise is such that you can actually hear each other speak. The sommelier is great and will always choose the right wine for the right occasion. I have held private parties here too-lovely.Special Features:
- CelebrateCelebrateDined on 8/2/2014Loved this place!!! Best dinner we had in years. We will be back. The food was awesome. Hats off to the chef and servers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- this place is greattdavis6670Dined on 8/1/2014this is one of my favorite places and the Duck is the best I've ever had. LOVE THE DUCK!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best salmon everFallguestDined on 8/1/2014The salmon in a pastry puff was absolutely to die for. Calamari was equally as good. Service was prompt and the staff very helpful and pleasant. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- lor83VIPDined on 8/1/2014The food was not bad, but it used to be much better in the past. The service was very poor. The waiters barely came to our table , they never explained any of the items on the menus, we had to wait a long time before getting any food , and when it came it was almost cold.
- Our Favorite AA restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014The Duck says it all. We have to go back to the Earle periodically just so I can get my duck fix. Yum!Special Features:
- ImpressedDined on 7/26/2014Great location for a friends to just hang out and never felt rushed in any way!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/26/2014We have always had an excellent meal here- our favorite place in town!Special Features:
- Very good for dinnerAADinerDined on 7/26/2014Had not been to The Earle in a few years and enjoyed the food and ambience very much. Right in the middle of downtown so can walk around after eating but very secluded while at the restaurant.Special Features:
- "The best veal ever!"VinceDined on 7/26/2014The Earle is one of the most dependable restaurants ever. A place you can stop by for a quiet little dinner anytime or use for the most special occasions. You'll be assured of great ambience, friendly but professional staff and great food. My wife and I shared the stuffed mushroom appetizer which was perfectly prepared and very tasty, she had veal scallops and I chose the Delmonico steak. My wife thought her veal was the best she's ever had (really - and she eats a lot of veal!). My steak was perfectly cooked, flavorful and juicy. We decided to hit the "cart concourse" just down the block for this evening's dessert - but, in other visits, dessert has been special. The Earle. Every good thing you'd want in a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date Night SpecialRogerAndyDined on 7/26/2014My wife and I and two other couples decided to take advantage of the Date Night Soecial of a dinner for two at the price of $55.00 including one appetizer, two entrees and one desert. My wife and I each ordered a small house dinner salad , a glass of wine and a desert. The bill was $5.00 less than if we hadn't used the Date Night Soecial. None of our party could decipher the bill and neither could the wait staff. We will not decide to have dinner at the Earle again using one of their "specials."Special Features: