131 Sullivan Street
New York, NY 10000Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.thedutchnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 677-6200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm
Midday: Daily: 3pm-5:30pm (limited menu)
Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Andrew Carmellini
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our private room is available for booking lunch, brunch, dinner or late night parties for up to 18 people. The room includes dedicated staff, audio-visual capabilities and its own bar. It is located in the lower level of the restaurant.
- Private Party Contact: Marie Lyons 6464427850x
A word from The Dutch
The Dutch is an American restaurant, bar and oyster room inspired by local cafes, country inns, corner taverns, neighborhood bistros, seaside shacks, roadside joints and the same mix of cultural influences that make New York City great. Award-winning Chef Andrew Carmellini's roots-inspired American menu features fresh fish and shellfish, choice meats, local produce and the best of what's around.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Dutch reviews from OpenTable diners
305 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (165)neighborhood gem (130)hot spot (109)great for brunch (90)vibrant bar scene (75)good for groups (73)special occasion (61)notable wine list (59)great for lunch (58)romantic (57)late-night find (32)kid-friendly (12)great for outdoor dining (9)scenic view (9)Show More
- Don't!TaftDined on 11/22/2014Deafening noise level and poor service. 45 minutes between our appetizers and entrees gave us plenty of time to virtually scream at each other in order to be heard. The ordeal simply isn't worth it.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/16/2014We were there for Sunday night dinner. My brother ordered the Sunday special Entrecote which was superb. Also the other dishes were very good. The vegetable side dishes were original and tasty. We did not have to wait long before our food arrived. The beer list was extensive and knowledge of the available beers was outstanding. Overall very good. Not cheap though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Honest flavorsLuv2dineDined on 11/16/2014Had brunch here Sunday. Airy, specious table seatings. Not noisy (which is a real plus these days). Had the poached egg, baked tomatoes and ham with amazing cheese biscuits. As the food was placed down, there was an immediate waft of fresh smells emitting upwards. And that rarely happens. Definite return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful brunch!ckc680VIPDined on 11/16/2014The food was wonderful, but the service was a bit slow. I think patrons should get coffee immediately at brunch, and that the server should make the rounds constantly offering refills. This may reflect an excessive addiction to caffeine, but it took many minutes to get our first cup and several requests before we got refills. Otherwise excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food, great ambianceRobbyVIPDined on 11/15/2014Great, fun spot for a date or birthday dinner. The food was absolutely tremendous and had a very vibrant scene. A+Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, underwhelming dishesSmarodaDined on 11/15/2014The host, sommelier and waiter were outstanding. The food, however, was great by average American city standards, but by New York standards, this was not a place to which I will be returning. SoHo has too many tasty gems to return to a place that does not sweep you off of your feet. Great ambiance and service, but the food left something to be desired.Special Features:
- Delicious Food!mzhungryDined on 11/10/2014Striped sea bass in chowder was excellent, and the vegetable sides were notably good. My dining companions also enjoyed their food. My only quibble would be - as alas it is increasingly in restaurants that are excellent in every other way - the level of service. The hostess was impatient with my seating concerns despite a near empty dining room & the server, while reasonably attentive, was just way too "Hey man, I'm not really a waiter, you know?" His whistling was particularly annoying - which was too bad b/c he actually remembered everything & checked in several times - but my lasting impression wasn't favorable. And for this I blame the restaurant for not better training the front of the house, as well as the back.Special Features:
- Brunch ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2014At 11:00 AM the restaurant was already busy. We ordered the turkey avocado sandwich and fried chicken with biscuits. The biscuits are a must-have!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Dutch is Clutch...TheMightyDined on 11/8/2014Best old fashion around....every dish...a twist on Americana....prepared to perfection. Kid friendly for early crowd...which was cool....Had been before at bar and it was good....but this time really hit it out of park.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeLeopardladyDined on 11/8/2014had lunch here on a Saturday.Was extremely busy but loved sitting in the back area away from bar. Waiter from Oregon was wonderful......attentive, polite and funny! Appetizers of eggplant dip and cheese were tasty and interesting presentations. LOVED my burger! Would come againSpecial Features:
- Fine and freshYumforfunDined on 11/5/2014This restaurant has delivered twice in a row. Once for a romantic evening for my partner and me, and this last week for four of us celebrating our friends marriage. This is a hip scene, with a nod to elegance, outstanding comfort cuisine and a great wine list. This place is outstanding.Special Features:
- Dutch experienceoverpricedDined on 11/2/2014First time there for Sunday Brunch. Definitely overpriced: $ 9 for a bunch of dry, non-premium French Fries doesn't stimulate me to come back. This in addition to already other overpriced items like a cheese burger with a very thin patty of meat, etc. In addition, waiter did 'nice' job of pushing additional items, including these Fries, which however were a waste, as one of our dishes had already a large amount on it, which in fact then was returned as the overall quantity of fries were then much too much. Dutch is clearly a money printing machine for the owners as their concept of average, but ok food seems to fill up the place every day.
- The DutchFreebutterflyDined on 10/29/2014I have dined here quite a few times and have never been disappointed. This is one of my go-to restaurants when dining with friends or colleagues.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Bad MenuJamieVIPDined on 10/28/2014My wife and I have had a place in soho for the last 10 or so years, and used to dine in this space when it was the Cub Room. Our experience at the Dutch was mixed. I am a scotch drinker, but their list does not even include Macallan 12. There were very few appetizing food selections on the menu. We were unable to find appetizers that we would eat -- and my wife and I by no means have limited palettes. But both of us really enjoyed our entrees (me: Korean hanger steak; her: pasta with truffles) and dessert (toffee cake). Our experience is best summed up by the following exchage we had when we were walking home. Me: How did you enjoy dinner? Her: It was good. Me: Would you go back? Her: I don't think so. Me: Me neither.
- Great local brunchevenDined on 10/26/2014My idea of a relaxed brunch near home. Unpretentious, good food, conversation I can hear, no constant bumping from diners or waiters. Amazing whiskey list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too expensive for what it isamazingVIPDined on 10/24/2014The restaurant is ok and the food is ok but prices are crazy compared to the regular service and fair food quality. Service wasn't the best.Special Features:
- The DEAFFoodwoodDined on 10/22/2014The short ribs are finger licking good. The service is proffessional; especially the host staff which was extremely courteous and helpful putting me at ease as I walked in soaked from the rain, 15 minutes late for the reservation. I went for a business dinner and the noise level in the front room, even when it was half full, made it difficult to hear the conversation creating an awkward flow in the conversation ... What, come again, I'm sorry what did you say? The constant bussing of the table only added to the distraction. This restaurant is not for soft talkers! But it is for food lovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good overall. good experiencetfppDined on 10/19/2014The appetizers are ridiculous. If you want to share some appetizers before the mains, there is no good choice. Luckily, the mains are really good. No exciting dessert either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Need TeaEdwardoDined on 10/19/2014Serving brunch with no breakfast tea or black tea? The waiter sheepishly offers only Earl Gray and assorted herb teas. What kind of tea do people like most at breakfast? A restaurant as classy as this one should know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finally Made itKmcraeDined on 10/18/2014My best friend has been talking about the Dutch for years. I finally made it to brunch and it was all she said and more. The wait staff was very helpful and the food was amazing Had the pecan bun- just the right amount of moist vs. crunchy. The shrimp fired rice was amazing and the chicken and waffles rocked. Went for a long walk in Soho ( and of course a bit of shopping) afterwards Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatsullivanDined on 10/11/2014this is an all around A+ place - great food, great service, nice scene.Special Features:
- Sw1shDined on 10/11/2014Strangest service in a long time: were running late so called to say we would be a bit late, were told that they couldn't hold the table for more than 15 minutes. When we arrive the place was empty (so they could have reassured us that the place wasn't full even while following their no table holding policy), but because one of us had yet to arrive we were not allowed to sit at the table but rather wait at the bar (again, the place was virtually empty). When the final person came, we had to ask two different people to be seated which took several minutes. Service subsequently was a mix of bored and rude. The food was excellent, the cocktails were good, the place was nice in a fancy diner sort of way. But yeah, strange robotic service.
- Dive Into The Dutch!Sarenity36Dined on 10/9/2014Dinning at The Dutch is always a wonderful experience. The atmosphere is so inviting, the lighting is just dim enough to feel relaxed. The Wait Staff are almost intuitive without hovering about. Now about the foodie food food! Delicious! The Roasted Chicken was so tender and flavorful. The new Dutch Duck dish was fantastic. My Mother had the Duck and after one taste I had order envy! You must sample the Toffee Cake, you'll Thank me later. All in all The Dutch delivered the goods!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014visiting from Paris, recommended by NYC colleagues, nice place and food but too noisySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved every suculent bite of foodMeg14Dined on 10/8/2014Great dining experience, strongly reccomended for a client dinner or dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing foodFlomanDined on 10/4/2014We had the steak, korean bbq style (sorry, don't remember the dish name). It was delicious!!Special Features:
- Finesrl212Dined on 10/4/2014Food was OKAY, but overpriced. Service was pleasant but unmemorable.Special Features:
- Stupid expensiveMDanteVIPDined on 10/3/2014It's Manhattan yeah and it's SOHO, but $18 for an omelette is a bit much. We had the omelette, crab salad (good but very very little crab. Crab dust nearly) and she had one glass of wine and we had a large bottle of sparkling water. $60 bill before tip. Seriously?
- opinions are likeLittleBaconDined on 9/30/2014Everything was fine. Not great, kinda polarizing. Just a place where if you're not business class you're apparently an idiot if you want to eat there. Wear a suit, maybe when you enter the building the several hosts will greet you instead of staring at you. But I guess that's just what I get for being under 30 and wanting a nice dinner on vacation.Special Features:
- Très bonne adresse , délicieux!JulyDined on 9/28/2014That was a wonderful dîner, good Wine and delicious cooked Fish. Pecan pie wath terrible . We spend a so good Time!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappontmentincredibleDined on 9/28/2014Used to like The Dutch very much. Unfortunatelly the food was a major disappointment this time. I had information from friends in this sense, but I coudn't believe that such an amazing restaurant could have lost its bright in this way. Hope they will get back on track soon...Special Features:
- So sad!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/28/2014I have never written a negative review on open table, but I was sooooo disappointed! The restaurant is beautiful and the location is perfect!! I got many recommendations for this place and I was visiting NYC and picking the right place for brunch was imperative!! The food wasn't bad but it wasn't great.. the worst part and what ruined our visit was the service! our server was either having a bad day or he just had an issue with us, we were super friendly trying to make him smile and asking him for suggestions and he just wasn't having it!! So sad, we won't go back and we most definitely won't recommend it to anyone..
- consistently deliciousjosiahVIPDined on 9/27/2014As always! And the Roasted Plum Pie was beyond. merely delicious. You can always count on The Dutch to hit all the right notes.Special Features:
- Perfect night at the DutchtouristdinerVIPDined on 9/26/2014Staff were friendly, attentive, and helpful. Great menu, great wine list, great ambiance. They even have a sommelier to help you select the perfect wine! We will definetly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WoodyDined on 9/25/2014Did not receive the waiter's full attention. For every phase of the meal, the waiter had to be summoned. Occasionally, we caught the eye of the busboy who would fetch the waiter. I love the Dutch, but felt a little cheated tonight.Special Features:
- Dinner with business colleaguesDebnNYDined on 9/24/2014I chose The Dutch to host two business colleagues for dinner, one from Boston and one from Washington, DC. We were able to have a somewhat serious discussion over delicious food in a setting that was classic New York...elegant without pretension. The staff were quite friendly and efficient without being intrusive. We ended the evening feeling relaxed and content with our dinner meeting. I would definitely select again The Dutch for such an occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DebHDined on 9/22/2014I have been to The Dutch many times for lunch and really enjoyed it. This was my first time for dinner and it was for a special occasion. The restaurant knew that but we we rushed and it was clear they wanted to turn the table (we had a 7:30 reservation). I would not go back for dinner
- Ladies BrunchMarisaBDined on 9/21/2014This perfect neighborhood spot, has great food and atmosphere to grab brunch on a Sunday with girlfriends.Special Features:
- The DutchmecavarrettaDined on 9/21/2014The snapper crudo was fantastic. The biscuits were awesome. The burger was cooked exactly the way I ordered but needed more sauce. The waitstaff needs an insane amount of work. Horrible service. Too bad I won't be attending brunch again because of that. I will try dinner and hope for a different staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too much tinkering with foodBeekeeVIPDined on 9/20/2014We thought the menu items were off the mark, hard to understand from descriptions, and wrongly paired ingredients.