The Drawing Room
937 N Rush St
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
Gold Coast / Streeterville
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Drawing Room
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thedrchicago.com/
- Phone: 3122662694x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 1am, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:00am, Closed Sunday & Monday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Brian Beverly
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please call us directly for details or you can visit www.theDRchicago.com
- Entertainment: Visit the Back Room, located just down the hall, for great live music 7 nights a week!
- Special Events: Our private events coordinator can create the perfect custom package for groups 10 - 300. Call today for details.
- Cross Street: Walton
- Public Transit: Midway between the Division and Chicago Red Line stops on Rush street.
From Division and Clark travel east two blocks to State. Turn right on State and walk until State forks and turns into Rush St. Follow Rush St. to the Drawing Room.
From Chicago travel east turn left and continue on.
- Parking: Valet
A word from The Drawing Room
Awarded 3-forks in the Michelin Guide and Diner's Choice on Open Table, the Drawing Room has been a destination for fine food and drinks in Chicago since 2007. The cocktail program is unmatched in Chicago, with a team of passionate bartenders who take as great care with every ingredient in the glass as the chef does in the kitchen. This subterranean gem in the Gold Coast is dedicated to serving up seasonal plates and cocktails in a comfortable and intimate environment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerLate Night Find
The Drawing Room - Best Restaurants in Gold Coast / Streeterville ›
The Drawing Room reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (26)special occasion (25)romantic (23)late-night find (14)neighborhood gem (11)vibrant bar scene (10)hot spot (9)good for groups (5)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Not as good as last timeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/24/2014We had a great experience when dining at the Drawing Room a few years ago. I have paid attention to the changes that have taken place over the years (chef and head mixologist changes, and I had hoped we would have the same experience at our recent visit. While the ambiance and service were still excellent, the food, menu and drinks weren't nearly as good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014My husband and I love upscale slightly-odd food. This restaurants menu changes often to keep it interesting. So if you feel in love with something on the online menu here, don't get your hopes up on that specifically and go to The Drawing Table anyways! They have an eclectic classic drink menu and small plates to satisfy many different palates. It was a great find right in River North/Gold Coast :)Special Features:
- Tasty drinks, awesome cocktailsTracyDined on 10/16/2014We had a great time at the Drawing Room! Both cocktails we ordered were fantastic, and the food was just as delicious. Every course was right on spot. Unfortunately, it's just a bit too expensive for me, as I can get great cocktails at other places for less than $14, so I'm not likely to return soon. But if that price doesn't scare you away, then definitely go check it out!Special Features:
- awesome vibe, amazing drinks & foodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/27/2014such a cool atmosphere and vibe!!! The drink menu was insane... so many cool and different selections, and the food menu was unbelievable... new fav spot! we were a group of 4 and split/shared the 1st and 2nd courses and each got our own entree... all of which were amazing!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PassManfromthecityDined on 9/18/2014Waiter was a jerk. Other than just taking your drink order he felt like he had to criticize your choice. Oh and don't try to ask to modify a drink the way you like it, you just might hurt the mixologist feelings. What a joke of a place.
- LilmscpckesDined on 9/13/2014Our server Gabriel was so attentive and so helpful in choosing our cocktails and ordering our food! It was such an intimate space; the cocktails were truly amazing as was the food!! We celebrated our girlfriend's birthday here and couldn't have had a better time! I will definitely come back the next time I'm in Chicago!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Laid back and classyLoracWickerParkDined on 9/5/2014This place is not pretentious but has the food and drinks that meet foodie-level expectations. I loved how my dessert, the hot brownie has a gourmet homemade marshmallow. I also like the back room, which has live music if you're in for a later night. Since it's not too loud, you can probably also have a business dinner here too but the seating is more conducive to a date (the backs of the chairs are on the side, it's a little hard to explain).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special hidden treat for the sensesPebbles59Dined on 8/23/2014Wonderful ambiance and delightful tidbits of flavorful food. Mixology with specialized cocktails just for you if you are unsure of the menu. Wonderful service and special attention. Must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food tastes different nowthisisirenesDined on 8/22/2014As always, Drawing Room will always delight with ambiance, vibe and service, but I did find (probably not surprisingly) that the food seems to taste different than it did the last time I went three years ago, and I'd argue that it wasn't quite as good as before; same for drinks. That's not to say the food was bad. The service was attentive and helpful, the noise level was quiet with soft music, which is always appreciated. Drawing Room is a consistent to-go spot for me, and needless to say the next time I'm back in Chicago, I will be back.Special Features:
- Great spot for drinks and dinnerWifeIsRealFoodyVIPDined on 8/22/2014If you go, meet the bartenders. True craftsmen (sorry, crafts"people") who are really pros and like what they do (and are entertaining). Dinner menu is a bit limited but selections are very tasty. Don't miss the small plates which are especially good.Special Features:
- drawing room not a thrilliwantgoodfoodDined on 8/16/2014We were a party of 7 and in the far back. no lights at all. we all had to turn on phones to read menus. chairs are really really low. not so good for a dress..... and VERY uncomfortable. old. hard. tattered. food was only ok. drinks were just to wierd.... not going back music next door at backroom was good one other time but on this night it was WAAAY to loud and the singer was pretty bad anyway....also not going back
- Great food and top notch cocktailsScottToTheSDined on 8/13/2014My wife and I brought our foodie 9-year old early on a Wednesday evening. We enjoyed a few small plates in addition to our entrees. Of the starters, the Rillettes was our favorite. For the entrees it was a toss-up between the Hanger Steak and the Duck Confit. The cocktails were absolutely out of this world. We tried a few and really liked them all. They even had some mock-tails, one of which our daughter thoroughly enjoyed. As expected, it was a little empty when we arrived, but close to full when we left. It got a little loud with the large party in an adjacent private space, but it didn't bother us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not dine againDuckworthDined on 7/12/2014Upon arriving the atmosphere was pleasant and ambiance was intimate. The hostesses were not very helpful and seemed to be too preoccupied playing on the computer rather than helping the guests. Additionally the table was very low and there were no backs to the seats which made the three hour dinner uncomfortable. The server broke our meal into four courses when we asked to have the items brought out as they were ready. Although we were informed that the items were great for sharing, the items were very small. The dishes were also unflavored. The experience overall was dragged out by waiting for the check for thirty minutes due to the server entering items multiple times. We would not recommend this restaurant again.Special Features:
- The following 538 reviews are from the The Drawing Room reviews archive.
- Unique dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/1/2014Thought we were in a supper club. Quiet, romantic & u could hear yourself talk. Fabulous & unusual cocktails. Bonus was the adjacent nightclub "the back room" after dinner! A must do.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere / menuClawDined on 2/15/2014My wife and I dine at The Drawing Room for Valentine's Day and had an amazing experience. It was a romantic evening filled with great food and wine. We loved it!Special Features:
- Nice hidden gem.OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 2/14/2014My wife and I ventured out on a cold wintery Valentines Day for a nice romantic dinner. The door to the restaurant was situated between two other retail establishments and led right down to a cozy subterranean space. The food and service were excellent and there was a nice selection of unique mixed drinks. All of the staff was very friendly. We had a very good time.Special Features:
- Good for Drinks and ambiance!KimboLikestoEatVIPDined on 1/25/2014We went here for Restaurant Week and had the Prix fixed menu. The food was good but it was obvious that the place was for getting together with friends or a date and having their drinks. Which is what they are famous for. We were the only group that was eating. The ambiance there was comfortable and modern.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly Over-ratedrobertVIPDined on 1/21/2014From the fact the server told us they don't have vodka cocktails on the menu because it is a neutral spirit to the fact we arrived at 6:00, told the server we must leave no later than 7:30 but still hadn't our dessert at 7:40, the experience was mediocre at best. The food was well presented but lacking significant seasoning, the cocktail over-priced and the front of the house manager was rude, we will avoid this spot. BTW, we dine out at least twice a week.
- I am from out of town, andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/18/2014I am from out of town, and I chose this place based on OpenTable accolades to celebrate a special occasion with my wife. We were not disappointed. The staff was friendly and attentive. We thoroughly enjoyed the food, the drinks and the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too badOpswimmer84VIPDined on 1/16/2014Service, service,service. Pretentious, know it all server needs to back off. Took 20 mins to bring a glass of wine and totally in love with your own voice. Take more time to listen to your customers and step back your haphazard "direction". You are lucky I don't name you by name. Will not be going back here ever again.
- Nice, intimate, romantic ambience.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/27/2013Nice, intimate, romantic ambience. We didn't like some of the dishes we tried at first, but the management was gracious about changing them out for us. The risotto with short ribs was absolutely phenomenal!!Special Features:
- Interesting and RomanticChaseVIPDined on 12/20/2013Cozy warm atmosphere. Light jazz in background. Excellent service. Interesting and unusual drink menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/8/2013I made a a reservation at The Drawing Room for cocktails for my birthday. Our group of 6 was seated right away and our orders were taken promptly. After waiting for our drinks for 45 minutes, we left. The restaurant was empty!!
- GreatBethanyChiVIPDined on 11/29/2013We stopped in just for cocktails. We set at the bar and Brandon, the mixologist, let us give him our favorite ingredients and he made us a bunch of different types of cocktails. It was lovely. If you're just drinking, I recommend sitting at the bar because it's a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!JuliesunilDined on 11/16/2013Such a beautiful spot and great service, will go there agin!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place, food is alwaysTomHDined on 11/16/2013Love this place, food is always good and the drinks are delicious, and they will even concoct something unique for you based on flavor profiles you prefer if nothing on the menu appeals to you. Usually the service is great, but last time we went on NYE and there were really long waits for drinks (we started ordering halfway through one to make sure we wouldn't wait too long after finishing for the next) and we hardly ever saw our actual waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedCrystal0419VIPDined on 11/1/2013I was in charge of picking a restaurant for a friends birthday. I've heard about the drawing room and thought lets give it a try. Food was great, however, the service was lacking. Our server would disappear not to be found which I thought odd for a party of 10. It took us longer than we hoped to order food, drinks, and pay the bill. When other servers helped to drop drinks at the table one of the female servers nearly spilled an entire drink on me...twice!!! and didn't even apologize. I thought that was so bizarre. As an industry professionaly myself after this experience I wouldnt recommend this place nor go back.Special Features:
- Favorite bar in Chicagoschneide2Dined on 10/31/2013Puts the Violet Hour to shame - better cocktails, fantastic kitchen and less pretentious. They both have funny-looking chairs.Special Features:
- Best place in chicagoJessRVIPDined on 10/23/2013I love this place. i took some clients out as a little treat and boy did this place help me deliver. All of our drinks were custom made by the very attentive bar staff. the food was also amazing. I loved everything about this place.Special Features:
- LovelyMG5000Dined on 9/21/2013Four of us went to the Drawing Room for post-concert dinner and drinks, and it was perfect. My friends raved about the cocktails and ordered the same drink several times, and the food was excellently done. My half-chicken was juicy and flavorful, and the lentils and shrimp appetizers had an incredible amount of taste for their size.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect nightNew2ChicagoVIPDined on 9/14/2013A friend recommend I try this restaurant for a date I had planned. I called the day before to make a special request and spoke to the manager. He was great and very accommodating. He even greeted us when we arrived for our dinner and sat us down himself. The waiter was awesome and recommended some great signature cocktails to start. The food was delicious and perfect portions. The night went perfect. Definitely a great spot to take someone special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for a special night outOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/31/2013Great place to take your significant other out and be sure to order their cocktails as they are fantastic and novel!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best cocktails in the cityOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/28/2013Some of the best drinks I've ever had, including a 200 y/o whiskey. Incredible. Not to mention the staff is highly knowledgable and incredibly witty. Food is top notch and its a great place to enjoy a romantic evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent meal, amazing drinksOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/23/2013Drawing Room serves a really great meal, with some eclectic and creative offerings, with the best of them really impressing. I'm blown away by their bartenders. The creativity with the drinks is something special, especially their ability to take a random request (i.e., I want something like this, but different) and turn it into exactly what you are looking for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I really enjoy the inventiveDijynnDined on 8/3/2013I really enjoy the inventive cocktails and expert waitstaff. Good place for a date or to start a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great CocktailsReifle22Dined on 7/13/2013I got the Old Old Fashioned and Charlie's Manhattan, and both were the best I've ever had.Special Features:
- The food was great, drinksScjchitownDined on 7/6/2013The food was great, drinks were unique, and the music afterwards was fantastic. My only complaint was that the seating was not comfortable. I understand they are going for a trendy seating arrangment, however, the seats were hard to get in and out of, and the table was so low and with a support stem awkwardly placed. It made it very difficult for us to position our legs in a manner that was comfortable. We're not that tall (5'8" & 6'1"). New tables/seating would be a weclomed change and a great investment for the restaurant, and they could be arranganged in a way that would not lose space, ambiance, or the # of available seats. Besids that, the staff was friendly, the food was great, and the music in the backroom was fantastic.Special Features:
- I loved the food and the attentionfoodloverDined on 6/22/2013I loved the food and the attention given by the staff. The whole experience was one I would love to have again.Special Features:
- Run from this place!NA11VIPDined on 6/22/2013The Drawing Room is awful! I've been here before, and it was bad, so I figured I'd give this place a second try, and it was even worse than the first try. I look at the menu, and there's not one drink that grabs me; the ingredients are difficult to recognize, so you are really taking a chance with any drink you order. I tried the Circa 1711, which was decent, at best. However, I then tried the Charlie's Manhattan (worst Manhattan I have ever had in my life), the Ready, Fire, Aim (no real taste there), and The Old Man, The Monk, and The Sea(this drink was so bad, I actually started laughing). I wrote a bigger review on yelp because I had more room than here, so if you want to read my full review, go to yelp. My God, The Drawing Room is bad.
- Not what it wants to beMackDined on 6/21/2013There is an overwhelming air of pretention in not just the place itself, but its menu. There are zero tasting notes on the menu for drinks and food. The "mixology" bar-theme is held up by a list of about 12, FAR overpriced cocktails ($13 a drink). The food, though good, is at a high price for small portions and limited selection. One would think perhaps of including food pairings? Nope, not on this 4 entree menu. The drawing room might be nice for a one-time outing, after work or a first date - it is not a spot to revisit or eat a meal at.Special Features: