60 Dorrance Street
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thedorrance.com/
- Phone: 4015216000x
- Hours of Operation:
Kitchen: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Cocktails: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Dorrance is available for weddings, private parties, and special events 7 days a week. Please call the restaurant to set up an appointment and discuss details.
- Private Party Contact: Lindsay Houle 4015216000x
- Entertainment: Live music on Fridays
Like us on Facebook for weekly updates
- Special Events: Wedding & Special Occasion menus available upon request
- Cross Street: Westminster Street
- Public Transit: The Dorrance is located in the heart of downtown Providence walking distance from Kennedy Plaza and the train station. There are 7 local hotels within a 5 mile radius of The Dorrance.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: The Dorrance offers Valet parking Friday and Saturday after 5:00pm. Valet is also available for special events.
A word from The Dorrance
The Dorrance is the perfect combination of old world glamour and majestic architecture. Built in 1901, this beautiful space is surrounded by breathtaking stain glass windows, each depicting a different Coat of Arms from wealthy European banking families. Inside this amazing restaurant you"ll enjoy couture cocktails inspired and designed to awaken the palate and relax the soul. The Dorrance uses only the freshest local ingredients in both their kitchen & beverage menus, reflecting the creativity and passion of the Lester Family. Open Tuesday through Saturday for Dinner and Lounge, The Dorrance will host Weddings and private events on Saturdays & Sundays along with specialty wine dinners and uniquely designed celebrations open to the public.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Dorrance - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
The Dorrance reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (23)romantic (21)fit for foodies (20)vibrant bar scene (14)neighborhood gem (10)good for groups (8)late-night find (7)hot spot (5)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Very average diningMrTiggerGolfVIPDined on 10/17/2014Went to try the Dorrance, before a play. Ordered oysters as an appetizer. They were very small and bland. They tasted like they had been rinsed under cold water before being served. For dinner we went dual seafood. Wife got the Fig Tortolloni, which was very bland as well. I got the Lobster/pasta dish. Waiter glowed about it, told us it had the 'meat of two whole chicken lobsters, claws/knuckles'. Now, when he said that, I expected a lot of lobster meat, including the tail. Instead, there was barely any lobster at all... just 2 small claws and a couple of pieces of knuckle. Overall it was similarly bland and unmemorable. The service was attentive and it was a nice place, but the food was very disappointing. Just bland.
- One Year Wedding AnniversaryMrsCDined on 10/11/2014My husband and I have been wanting to try The Dorrance for quite some time and felt that it was the perfect place to go to for our one year wedding anniversary. The decor was stunning and I particularly liked how each table was set farther apart from the other so as to create more privacy for you and your companions. We had David as our server and he was very attentive, knowledgeable and personable. He even brought over a complimentary glass of champagne for us to toast. The food was delicious and properly portioned so there were no leftovers. (We lived overseas for school so we were used to the smaller plates.) Overall, we had a very memorable and romantic experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good!IBChowinVIPDined on 10/11/2014Beautiful building, in and out. Service was very good. Our waiter ( Jim) was perfect! He never rushed us, made good suggestions. The decor was beautiful, marbel throughout, like dining in a Newport mansion. We had the rack of lamb. It was very good although the drinks and dinners wouldn't be considered large portions. ( the portions are just big enough for me not to complain) My guess is nobody brings home a doggy bag. My only real complaint is... the valet parking. Pulled up to the valet area and waited 10 minutes for the valet to appear. They have 1 valet to park cars 2 blocks away on a Saturday night at dinner time? Had to wait another 10 minutes to get my car back.
- love2dineDined on 10/8/2014Went to the Dorrance on the recommendation of a friend. It did not disappoint. Beautiful ambiance, great jazzy background music which fit the atmosphere perfectly. Very romantic. Service was outstanding. Food was very tasty. Our only complaint were the entrée portions. Too small for the price. We don't mind paying $30+ for an entrée but assumed we would go home full, which we did not. That being said, everything else was top notch so we will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceKendadDined on 10/8/2014One of the most elegant and romantic dinner venues in providence. Its atmosphere and decor transports you back in time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in ProvidencewjjwVIPDined on 10/3/2014Everything about the Dorrance is just right - fabulously elegant surroundings, yet the restaurant is comfortable and welcoming - thoughtfully inventive dishes without ever being pretentiously experimental - staff is helpful and informative without verbosity or weird chumminess. The Dorrance is great. We already look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014It was our first time going to the Dorrance but there will be many more to follow. I took someone in for his 30th birthday on Tuesday 9/16. I ordered the scallops and they were delicious. The plating was beautiful as well. We both have worked in the food industry and I just would like to point out that the service was perfect. We had Dave as a server. He was extremely attentive but not too much. He even brought over a complimentary birthday dessert with a candle to complete our evening there. It was much appreciated. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice....butSophieDined on 8/30/2014Overall, we enjoyed our dinner! The decor is beautiful which creates for a romantic setting. However there were people sitting upstairs and they were very loud. We could hear them downstairs. The waiter was very nice but he seemed a little impatient with our questions. The food was excellent but the portions were a little small. There were pros and cons.....enough pros to make a repeat visit. I would recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Exceeded expectationsEmilyCDined on 8/23/2014Yelp had good reviews but not unanimously high, so I didn't know what to expect. I wanted to try out Dorrance especially because of the beautiful ambiance. All if the food and drinks were delicious- all three entres were winners, and we couldn't pick a favorite. My chicken was incredibly flavorful. Our waiter, Jim, was excellent. Friendly, accommodating, and also very real. He wasn't too formal but clearly is a pro. Kudos!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExtravagantCrediblesourceDined on 8/22/2014A great romantic ambience with a delicious menu and great one off drink listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wedding Bell BlueschicoDined on 8/16/2014The primary problem was there was a wedding reception with an overly loud band taking place at the same time, and not separate from the regular dining. It ruined the atmosphere completely. Also, the food was only ordinary, not acceptable for a fine dining establishment. One of the dishes (duck) was inedible due to fat and veins. The restaurant offered a substitute meal, and removed all items consumed by that diner from the bill.
- Stately and TastyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/9/2014Had a very relaxing meal at The Dorrance August 9th - perfect date night for weary parents like us. The wait staff was excellent, and the food was delicious. We enjoyed the Octopus appetizer, and both entrees were excellent - we were certainly members of the clean plate club that night. Perfect start to a Waterfire night.Special Features:
- Nice evening!dbowDined on 8/9/2014Couldn't have asked for better ambience or service in this detailed and restored building.Cocktails were amazing! Attention to detail in every way, except maybe the food;not just quite on par quality-wise or adventurous as we would have liked. Mussel app was good, but the baby octopus app was dry in a somewhat tasty broth. Our daughter's selection of sea scallops with a lovely pea risotto was the best entree of the three dishes. Husband's fig tortolani was interesting, but much too sweet for his tastes. Filet mignon entree was perfect at med rare, but the accompanying sauce really didn't complement the dish. Pots de Creme dessert-rich and luscious. Service impeccable! Overall, a lovely evening of returning to RI for vacation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal in a beautiful room.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/8/2014Started with one of their specialty cocktails. It was very nicely prepared. I had the pork chop. It was bit overcooked for my taste, but the preparation was otherwise quite good. The room is absolutely beautiful. Often you end up "paying for the room" in overpriced entrees and mediocre fare. Not here. The Dorrance has very good food and service at a fair prices for fine dining. I would definitely go back. If I lived in the neighborhood I would probably frequent the bar as well. They know their way around a cocktail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just LovelyRestaurantroamerDined on 8/7/2014Went for dinner with a friend and had a great time. First of all the interior is gorgeous. The staff was friendly and knowledgable which is always a plus, and the good was delicious. We each did the $35 three course special which was well worth it. Overall a lovely dining experience. I'll be sure to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Impressive SpaceRodgerDined on 7/29/2014We came to The Dorrance much more for the building than the food. The former bank space is impressive, but the food was just OK.Special Features:
- We keep coming backlarrygDined on 7/26/2014We seated quickly by the hostess and promptly greeted by our server Jim. A round of their oh so delicious cocktails for the table and off to appetizers. We enjoyed the duck nuggets, ceviche and octopus for starters. All were very good. Dinner was a mixed bag. My friend ordered the duck that was tasty but a bit tough. The ladies ordered the Monkfish which was tough, overcooked and pretty lame. Shame on them for not sending it back. My chicken 3 ways was excellent. There are so many excellent restaurants in Providence to enjoy and The Dorrance is one of them. The place is drop dead gorgeous and Jim was our best server there yet. We keep going back but I think the cocktails are sometimes better than the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Weeks winnerMissFatFoodieDined on 7/17/2014The Dorrance was the last of seven different new (to me) restaurants I tried, and unlik many of the others who tended to skimp with their RW menu, the Dorrance went all in. Uncompromising quality in terms of food, service, and ambience. They demonstrated that their regular menu is likely well worth the price point--which, to me, is part of the joy/point of RW. Will definitely return as a go-to establishment to treat myself or to take special guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmedBettyCrockerDined on 7/17/2014While our server was great - respectfully attentive, helpful and knowledgeable - the food itself was somewhat disappointing. The entrees (wild mushroom gnocchi and flank steak) did not match the menu description. The portions were small. The flank steak, while cooked as ordered and tasty, had no vegetable with it. We visited during Restaurant Week. One would think that they would try to impress as many people use RW as an opportunity to try new restaurants. None of us are in a hurry to go back.Special Features:
- Lovely findJD2013Dined on 7/11/2014We visited during restaurant week which allowed us to try a variety of dishes. The strawberry gazpacho was a delightful appetizer and the chicken 3 ways was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZING!teriDined on 7/8/2014I loved everything about this place. The service was top notch as well as the food. I will be back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fancy place with good food & drinkswhatsinanameDined on 7/8/2014I had oysters, a strawberry gazpacho, and a flat iron steak. All were pretty good. The drink menu and atmosphere take this restaurant to the next level though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spare the attitudeJakeDined on 6/28/2014Honestly, I'm too damn old to worry about impressing people anymore. Therefore, I thoroughly enjoyed my entire experience at The Dorrance. The restaurant's architecture is breathtaking and the location is convenient to other Providence attractions. The wine and beer selection is ample and the cocktail creative. The food selection was local and varied and don't leave without tasting the chocolate Pot de creme. However, the most impressive feature of all was the hospitality and customer service. No pretence just an overall lovely experience.Special Features:
- The following 203 reviews are from the The Dorrance reviews archive.
- Never disappointing!VictoriaVIPDined on 6/17/2014My spouse and I love this place! We always choose it for celebratory dinners, one of our anniversaries this time. The pretzel rolls were delicious, as was the crispy cauliflower appetizer. We were totally satisfied, indeed entranced, with the scallops (my spouse) and the tiny, delicate gnocchi (me). We didn't really need the Chocolate Pot au Creme, but who could resist! Wine and prosecco accompanied this fabulous meal. All of this was fantastically enhanced by the professionalism and warmth of our server, David. He is a gem!!Special Features:
- Excellent dinnermjm814VIPDined on 6/14/2014We started with the charcuterie and really liked it--different! We asked the waiter if the chef could make an entree out of the soft shell crab appetizer. We both love soft shell crabs. He created the dish on the fly and they were served with excellent gnocchi and a great mixture of vegetables. Thanks, Nathan! Please keep the volume of the music low when people are dining.Special Features:
- Wonderful once again!TinaVIPDined on 6/14/2014We have been back several times and never dissapointed. Had a wonderful 35th wedding anniversary dinner. I was impressed to see that they are now labeling gluten free items on the menu and have added a bar menu too. I had local oysters, also new from our last visit. Followed by the Chicken Three Ways with coconut rice. Excellent! Drink menu is nice and with the new bar menu will also consider coming back for just a drink and snack on a Waterfire night.Special Features:
- food top notch but scene was offrichp1080Dined on 6/7/2014Went Sat night and the restaurant was very nicely decorated down to the fancy moldings and stain glass. The evening would have been perfect if not for the beach boys cover band blasting away inside the restaurant. They were so loud you couldn't hear the person speaking across the table from you. I understand it's Sat night but for one of Bon Appetit's "50" best restaurants you would expect a more romantic ambience. The food was unbelievable though and the service was great. I had the flank steak with marrow and my wife had the pork chop. Both dishes were cooked to perfection and flavorful! I would certainly recommend going there just be prepared for a loud evening or it may have just been a one off as it was our first time thereSpecial Features:
- excellent in fine diningcrrnDined on 6/7/2014Excellent in fine dining, I will be returning soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatShu1050Dined on 5/31/2014Chicken is a great entree. Chocolate pot de creme was so yummy. Grilled octopus was not to my liking. Service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectionClassypubcrawlerDined on 5/31/2014We needed a night out. There was 8 of us and we were in our own closed off room. Philip was fantastic, he took great care of us. Food and drinks were exceptional. Perfect for a special occasion. Portions are gourmet sized, allowing for a full appetizer - dessert experience. There's nothing I would have changed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- drinks shine, food excellentag64Dined on 5/28/2014Drinks were amazing, their cocktails are some of the best around. Food was excellent, not overwhelming in flavor but many more subtle notes.Special Features:
- Elegant diningDiningDuetVIPDined on 5/25/2014This was a rare Sunday evening dining night at Dorrance since they are usually closed. The interior facilities are superb from the bar decor to the marble flooring. Our waiter David was experienced and familiar with the bar offerings, the wines and excellent at describing and recommending all menu items. Our cocktails, appetizers, meals and the shared dessert were all perfectly prepared and seasoned, elegantly served, substantial and came as described. We will be returning at our first opportunity.Special Features:
- OutstandingcrajanDined on 5/25/2014My family and I went there for a graduation celebration dinner. We love good food and ordered appetizers, salads, entrees and desserts. The cauliflower appetizer was especially tasty as was the chicken three ways and the duck. Big shout out to the bartenders who make incredible unique drinks. The table service was also excellent and the setting is a beautiful 100 year old bank building. Am looking forward to returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what it wasagourmandVIPDined on 5/24/2014When last I was at the Dorrance in August 2013 the food was sensational, inventive and service top notch. Everything that the restaurant is not know. The service was lack luster, impersonal and perfunctory. The food was a mess at best. I had the curried cauliflower, because the description in the menu sounded like it was inventive, instead it just reeked, and left a bilious after taste of mint. The main course was scallops on couscous. The scallops were well done, but the gruel like substance they rested on was something that should have remained in Oliver Twist. The fact that the waiter insisted we order desert at the beginning of the meal, should be a WARNING to one and all. Go for the BAR not for the lousy food.Special Features:
- Great findPleasedVIPDined on 5/21/2014Celebrated our wedding anniversary before a concert at the Dorrance midweek so it was very quiet. Service very good - we were taken care of by a self identified new waiter but he was very well supervised. Food and service met our expectations in a very romantic setting.Special Features:
- Beautiful, but small portionspromqueen53Dined on 5/10/2014There is no more beautiful place in Providence than The Dorrance-the drinks and service are fantastic and it is a feast for the eyes. The food is fantastic-but the portions are way too small. When my entrée came, I said to the waiter "maybe I should have ordered two."...it was appetizer size. The dessert portions could be eaten in 3 bites. In short; fantastic, but portions too small, and should be increased by at least a third.Special Features:
- Pre-show dinnerURLDDined on 5/10/2014Service was excellent, our waiter Celal was always there but without hovering or being obtrusive. The food was very interesting and well prepared. All in all, an experience worth repeating. The Dorrance is a 3 minute walk to the Providence Theater, very convenient.Special Features:
- Mothers Day at The DorranceLadiesniteoutDined on 5/10/2014The quality and quantity of food is not worth the expensive prices you pay for them. My sirloin was $32 for a very small thin piece of steak filled with grizzle and fat. One sister ordered the black pasta dish which turned out to be 'chocolate cocoa' flavored pasta in a lemon sauce-yuck. My other sister ordered the pork chop, which was a good size and thickness, just dangerously undercooked. My mother had the duck which she claimed was fine but I think she was just being polite because we were paying. Atmosphere was elegant in restaurant, but the bathrooms were horrible. Very dirty and very sticky floors with old fixtures, low toilet positioned so your knees hit the wall, and a musty locker room odor.
- Back to top?OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/23/2014After the highly creative Ben Sukle's departure in early 2013, Massimilano Mariotta took over, with equal creativity and grand plans for The Dorrance. For whatever reason, he left late 2013, and The Dorrance hit a bit of a rough patch, in which the owners couldn't commit to an executive chef, and it showed in the food's inconsistency. Fortunately there is a new Executive chef, and the early results are extremely promising. Creativity at its best — trying to impress not with fancy descriptions or just fancy plating but with novel combinations of ingredients and flavors that make for new and beautifully complex experiences. There is still room to improve (e.g., desserts), but The Dorrence is back among Providence's top restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LacklusterKBarneyDined on 4/12/2014Dorrance great open room and ambiance, waiter was spot on, Food not so much. Fluke undercooked, pork chop overcooked. Overheated restaurant. Fantastic bar stallSpecial Features: