60 Dorrance Street
Providence, RI 02903Neighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.thedorrance.com/
- Phone: (401) 521-6000
- Hours of Operation:
Kitchen: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday and Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Cocktails: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Global, International, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Dorrance is available for weddings, private parties, and special events 7 days a week. Please call the restaurant to set up an appointment and discuss details.
- Private Party Contact: Lindsay Houle 4015216000x
- Entertainment: Live music on Fridays
Like us on Facebook for weekly updates
- Special Events: Wedding & Special Occasion menus available upon request
- Cross Street: Westminster Street
- Public Transit: The Dorrance is located in the heart of downtown Providence walking distance from Kennedy Plaza and the train station. There are 7 local hotels within a 5 mile radius of The Dorrance.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: The Dorrance offers Valet parking Friday and Saturday after 5:00pm. Valet is also available for special events.
A word from The Dorrance
The Dorrance is the perfect combination of old world glamour and majestic architecture. Built in 1901, this beautiful space is surrounded by breathtaking stain glass windows, each depicting a different Coat of Arms from wealthy European banking families. Inside this amazing restaurant you"ll enjoy couture cocktails inspired and designed to awaken the palate and relax the soul. The Dorrance uses only the freshest local ingredients in both their kitchen & beverage menus, reflecting the creativity and passion of the Lester Family. Open Tuesday through Saturday for Dinner and Lounge, The Dorrance will host Weddings and private events on Saturdays & Sundays along with specialty wine dinners and uniquely designed celebrations open to the public.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
The Dorrance - Best Restaurants in Providence ›
The Dorrance reviews from OpenTable diners
40 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (21)fit for foodies (17)romantic (16)vibrant bar scene (13)neighborhood gem (8)late-night find (6)good for groups (6)hot spot (4)notable wine list (3)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Massimiliano is one chef on his wayWillFlyForFoodVIPDined on 9/20/2013When a chef stops by your table three times during the leisurely dining experience, you know he cares about the food. It shows. My duck was tender and the fig cocktail was interesting and satisfying. My husband equally enjoyed his fish and we both loved our desserts. Too bad I didn't take a picture since the presentations were picture perfect, but I was enjoying the beautiful restaurant and the chats with the waiters and the chef. Praise enough? It is conveniently located in the historic downtown area. Make a reservation and go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- History and good foodRDRoadWarriorDined on 9/18/2013Met a friend for drinks and dinner here. The food was good - portion sizes were smaller, but satisfying. Well presented food and beautiful ambiance - old Federal Reserve building nicely restored. The drink prices were high - and I felt like the value for the money was not there. I'd return, but not regularlySpecial Features:
- Really, really goodAnonDined on 9/6/2013The food was delicious. The staff were friendly, personable, and professional. The ambient (perhaps the most striking part of an overall excellent restaurant) is a beautiful, lavishly decorated, high-ceilinged room in downtown Providence. A great date spot or place to bring someone you'd like to impress :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and Atmosphere - excellentBonnieDined on 9/5/2013The different butter combinations are outstanding. The oysters were delectable and the entrees were superb. We had the duck with spaetzle, the Brasato, the sirloin and the Pt Judith Day Boat Fish. All were equally excellent. The amuse bouche being outstanding. We had a small refresher between course of elderberry sorbet. Incredibly innovative and delicious. Our water was attentive. We love the atmosphere because of its elegance. The chef came to our table and explained the food concept as well as enhancing our dining experience with stories of events to come including the new restaurant being created in the upstairs lobby where raclete and swiss fondue will be served. Yum! Can't wait to return. Our guest enjoyed the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- service was excellent. FoodmmmeatonDined on 8/24/2013service was excellent. Food and presentation lovely. Portions a bit small but rich in flavors. Lovely atmosphere. Executive Chief came out to the table and introduced our appetizers. Nice touchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/30/2013We celebrated a double anniversary at the Dorrance and the 4 of us all agree it was a memorable evening thanks to the great service and amazing meal. Every aspect of the meal and service were first rate. Of all the favors the most memorable was the corn creme brûlée. It was the perfect end to a carefully prepared and delicious meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very nice experienceTeeSDined on 7/27/2013First time dining at The Dorrance, it is a beautifully detailed space worth going into just to appreciate the architecture. The food was very good and the service was terrific. I plan on returning.Special Features:
- This is it!stoveovenVIPDined on 7/23/2013WOW, was this place amazing. The old bank as a backdrop acts as a perfect scene for gastronomic pleasure. Almost everything we had from the tiny little pre-meal teaser to our desserts were spectacular. Combinatons of textures and tastes that tickled our tounges and made us swoon with delight. I would definitely place this restaurant on the top 10 in Providence or the US. If you are reading this, stop! Just make the reservation and go...you will not be disapointed. Oh, one exception...dont order the free range chicken. It wasnt bad but compared to the other dishes it was truly disapointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magical Night.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2013This was an amazing restaurant that gave 2 foodies a night to remember. From the Owner, the staff and the Chef came memorable and delicious food. Everyone made us feel like we were part of their family. We can't wait to go back and bring our friends.Special Features:
- Great time at the DorranceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/13/2013We decided to check out the Dorrance for restuarant week and had a great time. The service was spectacular, however be prepared for a dining experience (our whole meal took about 2 hours). Our waiter was very helpful with suggestions. He even brough us Coozies with our beer! The portions were smaller than expected but there was still plenty to eat (for me anyhow, my boyfriend could used a little more food). Overall we had a great time and will be back but we'll probably save this for a special occasion next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Chef: Even Better!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2013I was planning a birthday dinner and she LOVED the tasting menu we had on Valentine's Day here. When I saw that the chef had changed since then, and that the tasting menu was not listed anymore, I was nervous. I called the Dorrance the day prior and they assured me that they still prepared tasing menus. We went and it was a fantsatic experience! The chef came to our table throughout our meal to explain the concepts of certain dishes, solicit our feedback, hunger level and protein choices. Our server, David, selected the wine and cocktail pairings perfectly (I would recommend NOT drinking every drink served if you want to avoid being wobbly when you leave). Every dish was excellent from our amuse bouche to our dessert. Tremendous!Special Features:
- Beautiful place and very good foodGSRehoboDined on 7/9/2013We had a very nice meal at the Dorrance. The place is lovely, and the food is quite good. The scallops one of us ordered were the best, but the fish of the day was also good. Our waiter was wonderful, although there was an unusually long pause between appetizer and entrees. Probably not his fault. It was a birthday dinner, and they served nice treats at the end. I recommend it.Special Features:
- New chef, Awesome foodsunshineDined on 6/8/2013The Dorrance had the reputation already to be a good restaurant with great food already. we went there a couple of time to either enjoy one of their fantastic cocktail creation or to dine. the location is beautiful and the service is amazing. but this last time we went, the food was a step up. from Starter to dessert, it was very delicate and subtil. and there we found out they have a new chef, originally from Switzerland, whom work in places like Shanghai, Zurich, and New-York before coming to the Dorrance. so I think I quite found my new favorite restaurant in Providence!Special Features:
- Outstanding! Welcome Chef Mariotta!Daisy67Dined on 6/7/2013New Chef at The Dorrance. Creative European style. I had the Scallop Mattapoisett and the house made pasta. Warm chocolate chip cookies and house made sorbet with our coffee. Divine, not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Surprising GemWife2GradDined on 5/18/2013As our third choice restaurant for the evening, we expected a good meal but nothing over the top amazing. We were wrong. Every.single.bite was perfect. The drinks were well crafted and got our night off to a great start. The braised veal was melt in your mouth perfect, and each bite of beef was so tender that even the butter knife was more than what I needed. I would highly recommend this location to anyone looking for a nice evening out, whether to celebrate or to just enjoy a really amazing meal!!Special Features:
- Mix up at the DorranceAudraDined on 5/17/2013When making the reservation I wrote vegetarian in the comment section, they never mentioned a thing about it. The menu only had one entree listed on it that did not contain meat, which was supposedly an asparagus risotto. When it arrived at the table though it had scallops on top of it and was made with chicken stock. It ends up that it was printed wrong on the menu, instead of asparagus it was supposed to say scallops. The food runner that brought the dish out though made out as if we were crazy for thinking that it didn't say scallops on the menu. They took it back and gave me a potato pancake with a fried egg on top, which was not only unseasoned but they charged me $20 for. Other than that, the service was incredibly slow.Special Features:
- Wow! A Proividence GemPowWowChowsVIPDined on 5/1/2013I searched for a restaurant to go to before a concert, and found The Dorrance mentioned in a New York Times article. Am I glad that I found it! Awesome cocktails and a delicious, creative menu. The restaurant is housed in a old bank, with large windows and beautiful detail. I live in Boston, and I would drive the 45 minutes or so it takes to get there just to have dinner at The Dorrance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/23/2013Spectacular building, beautiful dining room, and friendly staff. The blind tasting menu was exciting and did not disappoint. And the service was the outstanding. Jon, our server, was the perfect combination of unintrusive, knowledgable, efficient, and entertaining. An extraordinary dining experience all around.Special Features:
- The Dorrance had such amazingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/4/2013The Dorrance had such amazing food. Definitely one of the best restaurants in Providence.Special Features:
- We had the six course tastingmjm814VIPDined on 3/30/2013We had the six course tasting menu. Starting with 3 small snacks. I loved the crab salad with toasted seeds wrapped in daikon with orange zest and then Cerviche with fluke and parsnips, a soup with roasted celeriac and Parmesan broth, tile fish ringed with mustard greens and cauliflower and sirloin. The deserts were a special carrot cake and panacotta with oat chips and celery granita. Our server Caitlin was excellent. She explained all the courses and answered all our questions. She was our server the last time and is a real asset to this restaurant. This chef is extremely creative and does an excellent job.Special Features:
- Outstanding Drinks, Food, ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/29/2013The Dorrance was perfect for our needs. I wanted an unusual spot with "fancy" decor and great food, that would be special for my wife's birthday. This place fit the bill perfectly. The drinks were incredibly good, and changed my mind about how interesting and delicious a cocktail could be. I haven't stopped telling people about the "Kentucky Campfire" bourbon cocktails I had, and I've already tried to duplicate it at home (without success). All 4 in our group LOVED our apps and dinners. The desert couldn't measure up to the rest of the meal in my opinion. I would have had another cocktail instead, had I known. As it was, our waiter surprised us all with a complimentary birthday drink, in honor of my sweetheart, and it was terrific.Special Features:
- Well prepared food but smallbostonlarryVIPDined on 3/29/2013Well prepared food but small portions and only five entree choices. Wine list of perhaps 70 bottles but only European wines.Special Features:
- Not ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/16/2013I was very disappointed with The Dorrance. I had read good things, but was not impressed at all. The good portions were very small, which I would have been fine with, except they were not very good. The cocktails were good, but I wasn't that impressed with them either. On top of all that, everything was very expensive and the ambiance was poor. The reataurant was half empty and it seemed to be a much older crowd. The service however was very good. For the amount of money we spent, we could have definitely gotten a much better meal at another restaurant.
- One of the best meals I havearthurDined on 3/13/2013One of the best meals I have ever eaten. Will return soon for another.Special Features:
- Great experience at the Dorrance.LeighCooperDined on 3/9/2013Great experience at the Dorrance. I can't wait to go back and bring all of my friends.Special Features:
- Ordered some appetizers andmay091VIPDined on 3/9/2013Ordered some appetizers and entrees to share as none of us were very hungry. Our waiter was really nice and friendly. We ordered some specialty cocktails which were light and refreshing. The appetizers and entrees were all good and the portion size was just right, given our limited appetites that night. The best part was hands down the pretzel bread! They were served warm and fluffy on the inside! Only negative was when we asled for more bread, the waiter didn't tell us it would cost money - only $3 a roll which we gladly paid, however would be nice to know ahead of time next time of the fees associated with it. Overall, good experience and would come back to try out more dishes from the menu.Special Features:
- The decor at the DorranceJPSPATHVIPDined on 3/8/2013The decor at the Dorrance was awesome especially the stained glass windows. We absolutely enjoyed every course of the tasting with the wine pairings. Our waitress was knowledgable about the food and drink menu and was attentive to us throughout the meal. Of all the good restaurants in Providence we would certainly rank The Dorrance high on our list of favorites.Special Features:
- Dining at the Dorrance wasPvdfoodsnobsVIPDined on 3/7/2013Dining at the Dorrance was an absolutely unforgettable experience. My party and I did the six course tasting menu with courses and snacks that were beautifully plated and as appealing to the eyes as it was to the palate. Everything from the appetizer courses, with dishes such as coffee roasted beets, to an amazing peruvian ceviche, perfectly cooked sirloin, and the most mouth watering and artistically crafted desserts, there was not a single dish which disappointed. The environment itself was elegant, and luxurious, and the service was unmatched. Our server, David, was knowledgable and friendly and was an irreplaceable part of our dining experience, as was the entire staff. We shall be dining here again!Special Features:
- Best of ProvidenceMuncho1VIPDined on 3/5/2013You must try The Dorrance. Perfect for foo-foo-foodies. Recently At a top ten Fremch restaurant in NYC. It has nothing on The Dorrance. Best duck I have had anywhere. Tile fish cooked to perfection. Fantastic cocktails!Special Features:
- This was wonderful. GreatnonoDined on 3/5/2013This was wonderful. Great dinner, great service. The staff enjoys their jobs and it shows. What a great evening!!!Special Features:
- Downtown Destination for FoodiesEaterSFVIPDined on 3/1/2013The chef's tasting menu was creative and outstanding. Even though one at our table didn't eat red meat, the chef seemed to instantly concoct a meal centered around seafood. Some of the dishes were magical, including the grilled cohog. So delicious.Special Features:
- AAA+++OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/26/2013I have been living in Providence for 23 years, & must say that the Dorrance has been the greatest dining experience I've ever had in here in the Capital City, hands down.Special Features:
- Great food, great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/15/2013Great food, great service. Loved the tasting menu - fun & the 4 course was just the right amount of food. Cocktails were fab too.Special Features:
- awesome cocktail listOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 2/14/2013Had a great Valentine's day dinner, Heidi was a superb server. Food was very original but the cocktails steal the show ... the ex bank makes a wonderful space, music was good as well.
- Tried the tasting menu forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013Tried the tasting menu for Valentine's day: excellent. Not a cheap way to dine, but a lot of fun.Special Features:
- The Dorrance is an exquisiteJJinProvVIPDined on 1/19/2013The Dorrance is an exquisite piece of history made better by fine food, attentive staff and a lively bar! It is a special night out every time and a personal favorite.Special Features:
- Great food lost in the crowdOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/12/2013Our table of 4 decided to order the 6-course Tasting Menu with wine pairings. The food was impeccable - creative, surprising, beautiful, and delicious. The wine pairings were wonderfully well selected. The cocktails (for which The Dorrance generates a great deal of buzz) were terrific. The Dorrance had booked TWO holiday parties on the night we visited. After our 1st course, things came to a standstill. The entire staff was friendly and attentive and our server apologized (many times as the evening continued, though we never complained) "for the wait" and seemed to pour our wine a bit more generously to make up for it. We went to get great food...and we did! Unfortunately, the overbooked, deafening venue made it difficult to enjoy.Special Features:
- I thought the food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/5/2013I thought the food and service was very good. Plate presentations where decorative but the portion sizes had much to be desired. Left hungry and went to another restaurant for an after dinner cheese plate.Special Features:
- Tasting menu was just okay.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 1/3/2013Tasting menu was just okay. I enjoyed it but it was a bit uneven. One dish was shockingly salty. Still, overall an enjoyable experience and I'm willing to give it another go sometime.
- Don't wait for a special occasion -steakloverDined on 12/28/2012If you are looking for a special place that will offer fantastic and innovative food, an intelligently paired wine list, attentive service professionals, interesting craft cocktails in an interesting venue, look no further than the Dorrance. We had the 4-course tasting menu, paired with wines. Highly recommend this to anyone. Next time, we will plan ahead with just a little more time and indulge in the 6 or even 8-course tasting menu. Every dish was spot on with flavor, presentation, and size. This night was a special occasion for us, but I think a meal at the Dorrance will make any night memorable.Special Features: