3712 Washington St
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dogwoodcafe.com/
- Phone: 6175227997
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: 5:00pm - 1:00am, Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 1:00am, Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Entertainment: live music on the weekend
A word from The Dogwood
Whether you're out with the family, meeting some friends or commuting from work, the Dogwood Cafe is the place to experience a casual, relaxed dining experience with a neighborhood atmosphere and the best pizza Boston has to offer. Join us for Brunch Saturdays & Sundays, 10:00am - 3:00pmContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
The Dogwood - Best Restaurants in Jamaica Plain ›
The Dogwood reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (20)kid-friendly (12)good for groups (11)great for brunch (10)great for lunch (6)great for outdoor dining (5)late-night find (4)hot spot (4)vibrant bar scene (4)romantic (3)fit for foodies (3)Show More
- head for the nice patioMaryCDined on 9/7/2014dark interiors initially turned our group off but when hostess mentioned patio all was well. great food on a beautiful day that wasn't hot and humid. personally would prefer tv OFF but i know is sports crazy in boston. pricing also very afforableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere!ryanmDined on 9/6/2014The atmosphere was lively and friendly, the menu had a quite a variety to choose from, the service was great and the food was delicious! We're planning on going back very soon! And to top it off, there was excellent, live entertainment!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with bad servicebostondinerVIPDined on 8/17/2014There is nothing more frustrating than when the server disappears. This was a really pleasant dining experience until she disappeared. We waited so long to get a refresh of our beverages, that I had to get up and go look for her. Same when we wanted the bill at the end.Special Features:
- Great dinnerandreagriffDined on 7/19/2014Friends and I had dinner here Saturday night before heading to a show. I had been before, but my friends had not. Everyone enjoyed their drinks and meal. Two of us had a special- the lamb burger with orzo salad and loved it. Two others had turkey burgers, also delicious. All of my friends plan to return!Special Features:
- Not quite up to par this time.EatingoodDined on 7/5/2014We've been to the Dogwood an number of times, and usual they are better. This past experience wasn't so great. My wife's sirloin steak, $21, was thin and not cooked correctly. Probably due to the fact the cut of meat was not good, cooking it to the proper temp would be troublesome. My burger was good, the Juicy Lucy. But, it was supposed to be stuffed with bacon and cheese. If it was stuffed, there was so little stuffing that I didn't notice. There was no difference between my burger and your average Cheese Burger anywhere else. Service was ok, but again, not too helpful. Also, their dessert menu that evening only had a few choices as two of their best desserts were not available.
- Dogwood - an easy styleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014We found this restaurant surprisingly good. I had a beet salad that had a lovely combination of food and flavors. My husband had the shrimp on crostini which he enjoyed. It's the perfect Sunday night supper place,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Handy/tasty neighborhood treasureCBS42Dined on 6/21/2014This has become a favorite of ours for excellent "comfort food." The menu is not overly fancy, but everything is done very well. The beer and wine lists are also good. The noise levels can be a little high there, especially if they have a someone playing music near the bar; but you get used to it. Sometimes, it even helps keep up the energy.Special Features:
- Always EnjoyableCarolVIPDined on 6/21/2014The Dogwood is a good neighborhood restaurant. Their menu has been updated somewhat. Their pizza is always delicious. The only complaint is finding a place to park!Special Features:
- Home fries!cmcd91085Dined on 6/15/2014Bring back the old home fries please! Not a fan of the sweet potato ones!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food near the TdavescatVIPDined on 6/13/2014Nice to have music on Friday nights. This place is comfortable for families with toddlers (who often dance in the aisles), couples, groups and singles enjoy the barSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold eggschrisDined on 6/8/2014Our eggs came out cold which was a huge drag. The bacon was really good though. I got the Nutella French toast and it wasn't good at all. First of all, the bread wasn't soaked through with the custard so it was like bread with a layer of egg on the outside. And the Nutella did not taste like Nutella brand (which we eat daily at my house) and there wasn't even enough to cover all the pieces of French toast. My husband liked his food more. He ordered ouevos (sp) rancheros and was very happy with his meal. We also lived the outdoor patio which has shade cover over the entire thing but allows you to enjoy some sunshine and fresh air. I would go back to try out the bar some night, but wouldn't go back for breakfast.Special Features:
- Perfect Sunday brunchpkb82Dined on 6/1/2014We had a perfect Sunday brunch. Lucky enough this was not super busy so we manage to enjoy the place fairly quietly. Food was good and well prepared. Service was fair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In the neighborhoodBrocktonDinerVIPDined on 5/31/20146 of us went to the Dogwood after an early evening event nearby. We did not want to fight Boston crowds, parking or pay Boston prices on a Saturday night. The menu is bar pub & pizzeria. We all chose pizza, which was very good. They have many unique topping combinations and great oven baked crust. We opted to sit outside on the patio. It was a chillyl, but the restaurant had heaters going. The benefit was that it was quiet and possible to have a conversation. Inside, the restaurant was busy and there was a duo providing live folk music. The restaurant is located conveniently across the street from a subway stop. Street parking may be challenging, but there is a large public lot across the street which charges a modest $6.Special Features:
- Great Food, Great ServiceJaimeDined on 5/30/2014Enjoyed a casual dinner with friends. Loved the decor, beer selection, and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 68 reviews are from the The Dogwood reviews archive.
- Good Local RestaurantCarolVIPDined on 5/17/2014The Dogwood is a comfortable reasonably priced restaurant with good food. My only complaint is that it is hard to find a place to park. My husband and I stopped going there for a long time just because of that. Lately we have been able to park about 3 or 4 blocks away, which is o.k. in the Spring and Summer, but not so great in the winter months in Boston. We will try and frequent it more often now that the weather is better.Special Features:
- Live music, great pizzaJoejoeDined on 5/16/2014Drinks are a bit pricy but my pizza was amazing. The live music was fantastic. The appetizer portion of chicken fingers was very skimpy. Overall good bar food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- familyDined on 5/11/2014With reservation through open table didn't expect to lead to table next to kitchen and bathrooms. Served cold crepes, they were taken taken back without complaint but returned just as they had been served, cold.Special Features:
- Great spotandreagriffDined on 5/9/2014My friend and I met here on a Friday evening- the place was bustling! We got a great spot in the corner by the window. Our server was very patient while we caught up and ordered a few beverages. The pulled pork tacos were very tasty. We each ordered a pizza and our server was very accommodating to each of us as we changed slightly the combinations. I would definitely go back!Special Features:
- NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014Love this place! We have always gone to the Dogwood but recently found out one of children has a many food allergies. The staff was wonderful came to out table to inquire about each allergy. They took their time and made sure they checked all ingredients before we ordered our dinner.Special Features:
- A little curtOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2014Our server was very friendly, the hostess was not. The food was yummy, but the chilly reception was off-putting. I won't be going there for awhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/29/2014Good food and service plus there is music on Saturday evenings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was quite suprised at thespinfabDined on 3/21/2014I was quite suprised at the the service and food quality. choosing to eat at this restaurant use to be a no brainer. I had to send food back(it was burnt) and had to flag the waiter dowm several times(he was new )so I can cut him some slack still more effective training may be necessary. I will go back again(want to give them another chance) however; in the meantime will be recommending it with caution.
- Overall ok but the Pizza was awefulclosetfatkidDined on 3/8/2014I liked the live music. It was easy and not super crowded for a saturday night. The burger, sweet potato fries, and quesedilla we ordered were all pretty good but the pizza was inedible it was BBQ chicken and had a weird combination of BBQ and garlic that did not taste good.Special Features:
- Good gastopubOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2014The beer was good. So was the food. This is a small place with good bar food and a fun scene. We had the pizza to start which was average. Main courses were much better and fairly priced. The only disappointing part was the reservation process. We had a 730 reservation on opentables. When we arrived they said our table was the one behind the guy playing loud music. Obviously no one was going to sit there all night. Thus we had to wait in line like people without reservations. Seemed like a bait and switch deal. That was no cool but we had some drinks to that was ok ...Special Features:
- A neighborhood favoriteBostonDinerDined on 2/21/2014Hi. We frequent dogwood when we want an easy night out. Great burgers and fish and chips, with a good selection of beer. It's a popular spot in JP, and always busy -- make a reservation!Special Features:
- Neighborhood spotTim850csoDined on 2/16/2014Go all the time. Good food good drinks good people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/15/2014We went to the Dogwood right as they were opening on a Saturday morning for brunch, so it was quiet. The staff though was friendly and attentive and the food we had was good. I would come back again.Special Features:
- Great!alittlejstillzDined on 2/14/2014The Dogwood is always consistently great. The food is fabulous and also won't break the bank. It's a wonderful place to go for dinner as a couple or with the whole family. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Local RestaurantCarolVIPDined on 1/30/2014The Dogwood is a place to go for reasonably priced food that tastes good. Servers are always attentive and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dogwood is a staple brunchNatsDined on 1/12/2014Dogwood is a staple brunch spot amongst my friends and I. We love this place. The food is phenomenal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, Great Atmospherecust28Dined on 1/3/2014The food was great and the service was terrific. The food was complimented with a great selection of both wine and beer. Great restaurant, I will attend again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great to have music with our pizza!CharmCityKidsDined on 12/28/2013My family - from my 23 year old brother to my 68 year old father - loved the guitar player that accompanied our pizza and beer last weekend. We plan to come back when he sings again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wouldn't be my first choicealtababyDined on 12/27/2013The food wasn't great but it was fine. The noise level was insane, altho they did turn down the amp a bit when we asked. Lots of servers and "right and left hands weren't coordinated." Felt a bit confusing and overwhelming, instead of relaxed.Special Features:
- Friendly placeMargaretDined on 12/20/2013We had a large group on a Friday night (for a birthday) and service was just great. Went with traditional pub food and craft ale and was not disappointed. Live music also a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time, but not the last timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/14/2013Great first experience. While it's out of my way to go to, it's worth going out of the way for. I'll be back, and I'll be recommending The Dogwood to friends.Special Features:
- great spotrunnermanDined on 11/10/2013We came here after a big event and made a reservation for 10. The place was awesome, the food was absolutely delicious ( had the lobster scramble), and the service was pretty prompt. We have been there twice so far and we will be going there often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An odd place at lunch timeCarovalVIPDined on 10/4/2013This place looked more appealing in its photos on Open Table. It was odd and empty. Perhaps it's more fun at night. The food was OK, the service was OK, but we won't be going back. Sorry.
- Whats Going on??LDRBVIPDined on 9/13/2013We have been going to the DW for years and really love it. However, since the rennovation the service has been horific. A few weeks ago we waited 30 minutes for a glass of wine. This weekend we waited an hour for our dinner. The manager is fabulous, really apologetic and they were very accomodating regarding the mismanagement of the kitchen. But the new wait staff is awful.I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timerBethDined on 9/5/2013We held a informal business meeting at the Dogwood cafe, very nice, prompt service - in and out in 60 minutes with a delicious meal! Definitely a hidden jem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not my best experience thereKandJforbrunchVIPDined on 8/24/2013I have gone to the dogwood before and lived all but one other time. The food is usually great and the drinks well mixed. My turkey tips were over cooked a bit and my drink was something other than promised. But the waitstaff wasn't attentive enough to pick up on it and it wasn't so horrible that it was worth waiting while my dinner partner was half way through her meal. They also didn't have music and they usually do on Saturday nights. So that was an added disappointment. I will be back. This restaurant usually rocks.I would recommend this to a friend.