3712 Washington St
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.dogwoodcafe.com/
- Phone: (617) 522-7997
- Hours of Operation:
Monday: 5:00pm - 1:00am, Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 1:00am, Saturday - Sunday: 10:00am - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Entertainment: live music on the weekend
A word from The Dogwood
Whether you're out with the family, meeting some friends or commuting from work, the Dogwood Cafe is the place to experience a casual, relaxed dining experience with a neighborhood atmosphere and the best pizza Boston has to offer. Join us for Brunch Saturdays & Sundays, 10:00am - 3:00pmContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
The Dogwood - Best Restaurants in Jamaica Plain ›
The Dogwood reviews from OpenTable diners
36 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (26)kid-friendly (13)good for groups (13)great for brunch (10)fit for foodies (9)vibrant bar scene (6)hot spot (5)great for lunch (5)late-night find (4)special occasion (4)romantic (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Always have a good experience!alissaDined on 11/24/2014The Dogwood is really a hidden gem. The pizza's are consistently delicious (had the Maple and the Willow on this last visit) a good beer list and a good atmosphere. Definitely worth checking out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okay.Mint1224VIPDined on 11/23/2014I wasn't impressed. We went to JP since my friend lives there. I guess it's the best the neighborhood has to offer but you can get a cheaper brunch with better food elsewhere. I would go back but only because she lives in that general area.Special Features:
- Sunday BrunchrunnermanDined on 11/9/2014We love coming here as a group. They are super accommodating, and the food and drinks are exactly what we are looking for. I have rocked the breakfast pizza the past 2 times, and I cannot wait to have it again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2014Food was not out of the ordinary. Waitress was attentive and friendlyI would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the environment!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/2/2014It was my first time at The Dogwood and after going for brunch, I will be returning! The food was good and the atmosphere was often. It did take a while between being seated and getting our coffee, but that was the only issue.Special Features:
- Our first visit to DogwoodMalMVIPDined on 11/1/2014Having grown up in JP, I have some haunts but have never been to the Dogwood Cafe until this weekend. We had our exended family of adults and a child. Food was great and everyone could find something they wanted from salad, to pizza, to salmon and cod. Our server, Regina, was fabulous. She had great timing and was fun to banter with. All in all, a great evening together. We highl recommend the Dogwood.Special Features:
- GreatrunnermanDined on 10/26/2014We come here just a couple of times a year, but it is awesome every time. Great food and not too long of a wait for food or service, even with a full restaurantSpecial Features:
- Comfort foodKayloveDined on 10/25/2014Great environment amazing service amazing food.. Great place to bring people to who have never been here to enjoy this neighborhood findSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Local RestaurantCarolVIPDined on 10/19/2014My husband and I have been patrons of the Dogwood for many years. The food is always good as is the service. Our only complaint is finding a place to park,that is the hard part, and one of the reasons that we don't frequent it as often as we used to.Special Features:
- Neighborhood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/11/2014Always good, always dependable plus outdoor dining in the warmer months & music on Saturday night.Special Features:
- Delicious Sunday brunchJennamacDined on 9/21/2014First time diner. Spicey bloodymary's, which were great and they had many breakfast options! Sat outside on the small patio, very quaint and perfect for the party of 4. Great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- head for the nice patioMaryCDined on 9/7/2014dark interiors initially turned our group off but when hostess mentioned patio all was well. great food on a beautiful day that wasn't hot and humid. personally would prefer tv OFF but i know is sports crazy in boston. pricing also very afforableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere!ryanmDined on 9/6/2014The atmosphere was lively and friendly, the menu had a quite a variety to choose from, the service was great and the food was delicious! We're planning on going back very soon! And to top it off, there was excellent, live entertainment!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with bad servicebostondinerVIPDined on 8/17/2014There is nothing more frustrating than when the server disappears. This was a really pleasant dining experience until she disappeared. We waited so long to get a refresh of our beverages, that I had to get up and go look for her. Same when we wanted the bill at the end.Special Features:
- The following 79 reviews are from the The Dogwood reviews archive.
- Great dinnerandreagriffDined on 7/19/2014Friends and I had dinner here Saturday night before heading to a show. I had been before, but my friends had not. Everyone enjoyed their drinks and meal. Two of us had a special- the lamb burger with orzo salad and loved it. Two others had turkey burgers, also delicious. All of my friends plan to return!Special Features:
- Not quite up to par this time.EatingoodDined on 7/5/2014We've been to the Dogwood an number of times, and usual they are better. This past experience wasn't so great. My wife's sirloin steak, $21, was thin and not cooked correctly. Probably due to the fact the cut of meat was not good, cooking it to the proper temp would be troublesome. My burger was good, the Juicy Lucy. But, it was supposed to be stuffed with bacon and cheese. If it was stuffed, there was so little stuffing that I didn't notice. There was no difference between my burger and your average Cheese Burger anywhere else. Service was ok, but again, not too helpful. Also, their dessert menu that evening only had a few choices as two of their best desserts were not available.
- Dogwood - an easy styleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014We found this restaurant surprisingly good. I had a beet salad that had a lovely combination of food and flavors. My husband had the shrimp on crostini which he enjoyed. It's the perfect Sunday night supper place,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Handy/tasty neighborhood treasureCBS42Dined on 6/21/2014This has become a favorite of ours for excellent "comfort food." The menu is not overly fancy, but everything is done very well. The beer and wine lists are also good. The noise levels can be a little high there, especially if they have a someone playing music near the bar; but you get used to it. Sometimes, it even helps keep up the energy.Special Features:
- Always EnjoyableCarolVIPDined on 6/21/2014The Dogwood is a good neighborhood restaurant. Their menu has been updated somewhat. Their pizza is always delicious. The only complaint is finding a place to park!Special Features:
- Home fries!cmcd91085Dined on 6/15/2014Bring back the old home fries please! Not a fan of the sweet potato ones!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food near the TdavescatVIPDined on 6/13/2014Nice to have music on Friday nights. This place is comfortable for families with toddlers (who often dance in the aisles), couples, groups and singles enjoy the barSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cold eggschrisDined on 6/8/2014Our eggs came out cold which was a huge drag. The bacon was really good though. I got the Nutella French toast and it wasn't good at all. First of all, the bread wasn't soaked through with the custard so it was like bread with a layer of egg on the outside. And the Nutella did not taste like Nutella brand (which we eat daily at my house) and there wasn't even enough to cover all the pieces of French toast. My husband liked his food more. He ordered ouevos (sp) rancheros and was very happy with his meal. We also lived the outdoor patio which has shade cover over the entire thing but allows you to enjoy some sunshine and fresh air. I would go back to try out the bar some night, but wouldn't go back for breakfast.Special Features:
- Perfect Sunday brunchpkb82Dined on 6/1/2014We had a perfect Sunday brunch. Lucky enough this was not super busy so we manage to enjoy the place fairly quietly. Food was good and well prepared. Service was fair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In the neighborhoodBrocktonDinerVIPDined on 5/31/20146 of us went to the Dogwood after an early evening event nearby. We did not want to fight Boston crowds, parking or pay Boston prices on a Saturday night. The menu is bar pub & pizzeria. We all chose pizza, which was very good. They have many unique topping combinations and great oven baked crust. We opted to sit outside on the patio. It was a chillyl, but the restaurant had heaters going. The benefit was that it was quiet and possible to have a conversation. Inside, the restaurant was busy and there was a duo providing live folk music. The restaurant is located conveniently across the street from a subway stop. Street parking may be challenging, but there is a large public lot across the street which charges a modest $6.Special Features:
- Great Food, Great ServiceJaimeDined on 5/30/2014Enjoyed a casual dinner with friends. Loved the decor, beer selection, and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Local RestaurantCarolVIPDined on 5/17/2014The Dogwood is a comfortable reasonably priced restaurant with good food. My only complaint is that it is hard to find a place to park. My husband and I stopped going there for a long time just because of that. Lately we have been able to park about 3 or 4 blocks away, which is o.k. in the Spring and Summer, but not so great in the winter months in Boston. We will try and frequent it more often now that the weather is better.Special Features:
- Live music, great pizzaJoejoeDined on 5/16/2014Drinks are a bit pricy but my pizza was amazing. The live music was fantastic. The appetizer portion of chicken fingers was very skimpy. Overall good bar food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- familyDined on 5/11/2014With reservation through open table didn't expect to lead to table next to kitchen and bathrooms. Served cold crepes, they were taken taken back without complaint but returned just as they had been served, cold.Special Features:
- Great spotandreagriffDined on 5/9/2014My friend and I met here on a Friday evening- the place was bustling! We got a great spot in the corner by the window. Our server was very patient while we caught up and ordered a few beverages. The pulled pork tacos were very tasty. We each ordered a pizza and our server was very accommodating to each of us as we changed slightly the combinations. I would definitely go back!Special Features:
- NiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014Love this place! We have always gone to the Dogwood but recently found out one of children has a many food allergies. The staff was wonderful came to out table to inquire about each allergy. They took their time and made sure they checked all ingredients before we ordered our dinner.Special Features:
- A little curtOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2014Our server was very friendly, the hostess was not. The food was yummy, but the chilly reception was off-putting. I won't be going there for awhile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/29/2014Good food and service plus there is music on Saturday evenings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was quite suprised at thespinfabDined on 3/21/2014I was quite suprised at the the service and food quality. choosing to eat at this restaurant use to be a no brainer. I had to send food back(it was burnt) and had to flag the waiter dowm several times(he was new )so I can cut him some slack still more effective training may be necessary. I will go back again(want to give them another chance) however; in the meantime will be recommending it with caution.
- Overall ok but the Pizza was awefulclosetfatkidDined on 3/8/2014I liked the live music. It was easy and not super crowded for a saturday night. The burger, sweet potato fries, and quesedilla we ordered were all pretty good but the pizza was inedible it was BBQ chicken and had a weird combination of BBQ and garlic that did not taste good.Special Features:
- Good gastopubOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 3/1/2014The beer was good. So was the food. This is a small place with good bar food and a fun scene. We had the pizza to start which was average. Main courses were much better and fairly priced. The only disappointing part was the reservation process. We had a 730 reservation on opentables. When we arrived they said our table was the one behind the guy playing loud music. Obviously no one was going to sit there all night. Thus we had to wait in line like people without reservations. Seemed like a bait and switch deal. That was no cool but we had some drinks to that was ok ...Special Features:
- A neighborhood favoriteBostonDinerDined on 2/21/2014Hi. We frequent dogwood when we want an easy night out. Great burgers and fish and chips, with a good selection of beer. It's a popular spot in JP, and always busy -- make a reservation!Special Features:
- Neighborhood spotTim850csoDined on 2/16/2014Go all the time. Good food good drinks good people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Early BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/15/2014We went to the Dogwood right as they were opening on a Saturday morning for brunch, so it was quiet. The staff though was friendly and attentive and the food we had was good. I would come back again.Special Features:
- Great!alittlejstillzDined on 2/14/2014The Dogwood is always consistently great. The food is fabulous and also won't break the bank. It's a wonderful place to go for dinner as a couple or with the whole family. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Local RestaurantCarolVIPDined on 1/30/2014The Dogwood is a place to go for reasonably priced food that tastes good. Servers are always attentive and helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.