2816 LaFayette Avenue
Newport Beach, CA 92663Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.eatatthedock.com/index.html
- Phone: 9496733625x
- Hours of Operation:
Closed Mondays & Tuesdays but available for buyout events, lunch or dinner.
Dinner Hours of Operation
Wednesday & Thursday: 5:30pm - 8:30pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 1:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Vegetarian / Vegan
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Fireplace, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wine
A word from The Dock
Waterfront alfresco patio dining with an infused continental menu and outstanding wine list of domestic and imported.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
The Dock - Best Restaurants in Newport Beach ›
The Dock reviews from OpenTable diners
64 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.8Noise LevelModerate
romantic (49)scenic view (47)special occasion (46)fit for foodies (38)great for outdoor dining (37)neighborhood gem (37)notable wine list (31)great for brunch (20)good for groups (6)great for lunch (5)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Fabulous All Round!BoppyVIPDined on 10/18/2014My husband and I dine out a lot. This is now going to be on the top of our list. The food was phenomenal, service impeccable and the room was beautiful.Special Features:
- Superior in all respectsCAFDEDined on 10/8/2014It is evident from the start that the chef and all staff love food, know their wine and want to share with you and create a memorable experience. The lamb was melt in your mouth perfect, artfully presented. The duck confit and duck breast with cherry sauce was excellent and the short ribs were again perfect. The chef uses the freshest vegetables, salads, and the best meats. The wine list is one of the best. However, we brought one of our favorites from a very small Napa winery. My only complaint is that the $40 corkage fee is way too high especially if they do not stock the wine you bring. the wait staff is knowledgeable, attentive, friendly and very efficient. This is a restaurant not to be missed !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/5/2014The only negative was the overly chatty waitress. She wanted to pass on her expertise in wine-totally unwanted and unsolicited!Special Features:
- Absolutely wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/3/2014Great food and fantastic service. Went on a Friday night, my husband had the duck and I had the special which was pork cheeks. Sooo good. We relaxed and enjoyed ourselves without the staff rushing us out the door. Service was wonderful. They were friendly and on top of everything. Will definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/27/2014Took a group of people from Los Angeles and they are still raving about how 'perfect' and 'amazing' everything was and I'd have to agree. This is a really small restaurant with exceptional food and service. Enjoy the evening and make it an experience!Special Features:
- WonderfulluvitVIPDined on 9/27/2014We brought some friends that had never been.... they loved itSpecial Features:
- Super delicious!VickstaDined on 9/21/2014Yes, it is a little pricey, but I took my dad here for his birthday to the pre-fixe brunch, and it was just fabulous. The view is spectacular, and the bloody Mary's were some of the best I had. As a group, we had the steak tartar, ahi, kale salad, and tomato salad, all were freaking amazing. Main course was sausage and eggs, duck confit hash, seared scallops, and the French toast. Super highly recommend the French toast and sausage. The duck was good, but pretty salty, and the scallops were pretty good. I would definitely come here again, but only for special occasions due to the office.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a good experience !MauriDined on 9/17/2014We went to The DOck with my family to celebrate my daughter 16 years birthday and we were really surprised by the top quality of the food, of the presentation and of the service. Can't wait to go back !Special Features:
- Great Choice!2beacheatersDined on 9/17/2014We have wanted to dine here for quite a while but often forget it's there until we walk by. Unassuming from the exterior but the interior is done well so as to feel enclosed but open to the water at the same time. The staff was knowledgable and helpful in selections of both food and wine. The service was excellent as was the food and wine. Special occasion or just a night out make this place worth a visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!edddiewVIPDined on 9/13/2014Could not have been better. 1st time to this secret gem as our Hotel wasn't aware of this really wonderful dining experience. Great view and excellent service!Special Features:
- The Dock Sunday Prix Fix BrunchmikegmangaDined on 9/7/2014Right in a trendy little section of Newport Beach this very intimate and classy place is like being in a luxurious boat cabin with open air views of the Bay and quiet yachts etc. The Bloody Marys had 3 or 4 vege slices and a Lime wedge and were so good. The staff was terrific and the food was amazing. Think Frenchie California beautiful plate servings of mini latkes with Nova and next was grilled prawns over a wonderful mother of pearl risotto. The ceiling was a nice sail cloth as it is on a rectangle dock, only open on the marina water side, white linens and servers dressed to the 9s made me my sweethearts hero..... Thank You Dock.Special Features:
- Brunch With BoatsGoodieFoodieDined on 9/7/2014We had a delightful birthday brunch here. We were seated right over the dock but in the shade, and watched the boats ease by while listening to the soothing wake lapping up against the platform. The service was impeccable-- formal rules of serving to and removing from the table, while being friendly and unstuffy. The entire staff remembered the special occasion though it had only been mentioned in passing. Our only regret was that we could only choose one from the first course [prix fixe menu for brunch] and one from the second. This was an exceptional experience. If only we had a yacht to pull right up to the table....Special Features:
- Way too many better choices in NBseasoneddinerDined on 8/31/2014Interesting décor. They use pillows so the folks at the next very close table don't lean an elbow in on you while you're eating. We order only entrees, and the server says, "are you sure- I hope you have lots to talk about, as its going to be quite a long wait for your food" Ambience - well, as the server explained, the wiring in the place was never replaced, so when the kitchen uses an appliance or electricity of any kind, the table lights flicker, then fade in and out- sort of eerie at first, then gets just plain annoying. The wine was nice, as they have a nice wine list, although the wines shown by the glass differed than what was actually in place in the wine dispenser.
- Beautiful spot, excellent menuweinpuppeDined on 8/30/2014I am still dreaming of their Red Wine Braised Short Ribs, oh my! Slow-cooked perfection! My husband picked this place as we wanted to take it easy this Labor Day weekend & indulge. We wanted to have a nice dinner with a beautiful view and that's what we got. The restaurant is somewhat small, the serving area is long & narrow, as docks are supposed to be, right? Great service, good wine & dessert menus as well. So, if you're looking for a perfect romantic dinner, this is your spot. To bring it up a notch -on the romanticism- you may arrive by water taxi! I didn't give this lovely place 5 stars because the tables in the middle area are too close, the couples next to our table could hear everything! A bit uncomfortable, though, easy to fix.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite restaurantDCdinerVIPDined on 8/13/2014If you're in the Newport Beach area, this is a must! A lovely, small restaurant with wonderful food, outstanding service and a great atmosphere. Don't miss it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingsmiths22VIPDined on 8/9/2014I have eaten here three times and the food is always a hit! Such a pleasant surprise to have something different and creative in Orange County while not straying into anything odd! Small so gets crowded but not noisy; service good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most EnjoyableAroth98609Dined on 8/8/2014We recently dined at The Dock for a family celebration. The whole experience was exceptional. When we arrived, there was a bit of a wait for our reserved table so the hostess provided us with complimentary champagne and an amuse bouche. From that through the dessert - the food was superb. This chef and kitchen understand flavor combinations extremely well. Every dish was straightforward yet had interesting complexity. The dining room couldn't be more charming. It manages to be elegant and still cozy at the same time with an open view of the bay. Our waitstaff was knowledgeable and friendly - not at all stuffy. Yes, it is a bit pricey but this restaurant is the best example on the positive side of "you get what you pay for."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautleful findDogloverDined on 8/7/2014A little gem in Newport. Doesn't look so hot from outside but inside is beautiful. White tablecloths great food friendly non invasive staff and a parade of boats and paddle boarders. Heaven.Special Features:
- Special gemBldkidDined on 8/3/2014Just need some fans to help with the air we wanted to leave ASAP because of humidity ! Love if you had cocktails availableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experienceluv2eatoutDined on 8/1/2014Had a great anniversary dinner. All courses were delicious. The service was outstanding. Great view of the harbor. We definitely will come back.Special Features:
- MY VERY FAVORITE RESTUARANTCruise2eatVIPDined on 7/30/2014The Dock transforms you to Europe. A small intimate setting and such a unique experience to take a Duffy to go to dinner.(it Is an electric boat) The food is always exceptional. Cannot resist the delicious warm rolls. From presentation to taste the chef is spot on. Love the seasonal changes to the menu.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2014Outstanding food and service. Beautiful view and a great place to dine when arriving by boat. We will be back.Special Features:
- Sittin on the dock of a baybaselineDined on 7/13/2014Great food. View to die for overlooking the dock. Delightful Sunday brunch. Only complaint. Finding parking was hell.Special Features:
- Great view, great foodDCdinerVIPDined on 7/11/2014This is our go to spot to fete our friends and ourselves. The food is wonderful, the atmosphere lovely and the service outstanding. It is one of the best restaurants we've been to. Don't be deterred by the street or the entrance, once inside, you'll be blown away. A must see when in SoCal.Special Features:
- Awesome find in NPB2twoEatDined on 7/6/2014Very Good a Foodie fav! The staff was very knowledgable although the Trend in Restaurants everywhere seems the same..You run into the Hostess on their IPhone , this place was no exception..you leave you get a glance up from the IPhone ..Bye!Special Features:
- The bestOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/5/2014Amazing food and amazing quaint spot. Very cool and enjoyable. Such a good change from the noisy Newport Beach dining scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- helenladyDined on 6/27/2014I lvoed this place. My boyfriend and I came here and we enjoyed every minute of it. This is an all outdoor patio seating with a view of the docking boats. The food and service was great, although I wish our waiter was a little friendlier. Overall great experience!Special Features:
- foodieDined on 6/27/2014Our dinner was excellent, food superb, service was attentive but I will not give 5 stars because we were a party of 6 and were not told that the tip was already included in the bill. We almost double tipped the bill, but fortunately one in our party noticed that the tip was already included. Full disclosure please!Special Features:
- The following 235 reviews are from the The Dock reviews archive.
- WOW!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/22/2014We had a group of eight people for Sunday brunch for our daughter's birthday and the service was amazing! We have a large family so we have become very frustrated when the gratuity is included, the service becomes non-existent, even at five-star restaurants. This was certainly NOT the case here! The food was incredible, especially the pork belly with the eggs benedict - everyone's favorite. The ambiance was beautiful and we all commented that if was very quiet, even though the restaurant was full. We will definitely return to The Dock!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- garperVIPDined on 6/18/2014the Dock is an absolute gem. The romantic setting on the Bay, the delicious food, the incredible wine list and the immaculate personalized attention set this restaurant apart. It is the closest thing to being in Europe that exists in Newport Beach. Kudos to the Overstreets !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newport Beach - The DockOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/18/2014My wife and I finally made it to the Dock for one of our latest fine dining experiences. Been meaning to try this place for a while now. We've been to the little sister - The Porch - which is great too, but more casual. The Dock has an impressive but pricey wine list to choose from. Appetizers are terrific. We had the iceberg salad and the spicy tuna for starters. Choosing the main course wasn't tough either...everything looked good so go with your gut on this one. I had the short rib, which is known to be one of the yummier items on the menu. I was very pleased. Limited desserts to choose from...only pineapple up-side-down cake with toasted coconut ice cream - which was to die for; and some chocolate item, which was just okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected and MagicalElegantVIPDined on 6/11/2014On a quiet side street, tucked out of the way is this incredible place. All outdoor and on the water. Fantastic selections and incredible service. This is my new favorite place for special occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the DockjockoVIPDined on 6/6/2014We had a great evening. Food is delicious. Ambience great!! Anxious to return.Special Features:
- Excellent all roundTravellingCaliforniaDined on 6/5/2014The waiter was exceptional he knew the menu inside out giving us all great advise on food and wine. The food was great tasting and presented excellently. Next time we visit the area we will defo returnSpecial Features:
- Great romantic placeTiredofmastrosDined on 5/31/2014I went with great expectations, I wanted an upscale place that I could have a romantic dinner with good food and wine. All my expectations were met, the staff is beyond accommodating, the food presentation was perfect and everything we tried was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pretty placeMJ25Dined on 5/29/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday because he had never been. It was a little awkward because upon walking in at 7 for our reservation, we were the only ones there. The food was good and the ambiance is amazing. There were a couple disappointments, however... the waiter had a weird smell. There were gnats flying around right above our table the entire time so I was swatting them away throughout the meal. Lastly, there was some stuff floating in my wine. The waiter said it could be sediment because of how the wine is made, which is fine, but let's just say there were a lot of sediments in that glass if that is true.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Brunch of Memorial Day WeekendgraneyDined on 5/25/2014Some friends and I went to many brunches this memorial day weekend. We were most impressed by this one. Even more amazingly, it wasn't the most expensive! Their fixed menu brunch was only $30 each. That worried us that it would just be average. We were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food and creativity of the menu.Special Features:
- Very nice Sunday brunchCaldreamDined on 5/18/2014We really enjoyed the food and ambiance at the Dock. The flavors and preparation of our 2 courses were excellent. The greeting upon arrival was not up to par and the service was good but a notch below what it should have been.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic anniversary celebrationRobertJDined on 5/10/2014We used open table from the restaurant website and accepted an early time, 5:45. We added a note that we were celebrating our 35th anniversary. On arrival we were greeted with a "congratulations" and seated at the best table. (near the water and on the left side so as to be seated against the wall on a couch and able to see all that was going on) Our server was most friendly, knowledgable and genuine. He assisted with our wine selection and a discussion of the menu. We both chose different fish and they were prepared to perfection. Moist and flavorful. They honored us with a dessert for our celebration. An apple pastry with pistacio ice cream. Wonderful. Thank you to everyone at The Dock! We will returnSpecial Features:
- Good food, poor serviceFoodieDined on 5/4/2014Had Sunday brunch-1 choice each of 1st and 2nd course for $30, not including drinks. Steep price for a 2 dish brunch. Our party ordered Gravlax w potatoe latkes (nothing special), Green n Red Kale Salad (too sweet), Steak Tartar (looked like partially cooked ground beef, but tasted OK), Fried Calamari (nothing special), Brioche French Toast (Excellent! Fluffy toast w subtle sweetness), Crust Less Quiche (good), Grilled Prawns (good), Eggs Benedict (excellent). While food was better than average overall, the service was unpleasant. Our waiter never once smiled and was abrupt in manners. After we paid, the matre'd told us to wrap it up bc there is another seating, though there were many tables not occupied. It was rude the way she handled.Special Features: