2816 LaFayette Avenue
Newport Beach, CA 92663Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.eatatthedock.com/index.html
- Phone: 9496733625x
- Hours of Operation:
Closed Mondays & Tuesdays but available for buyout events, lunch or dinner.
Dinner Hours of Operation
Wednesday & Thursday: 5:30pm - 8:30pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
Sunday: 5:00pm - 8:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:30am - 1:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Vegetarian / Vegan
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Fireplace, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wine
A word from The Dock
Waterfront alfresco patio dining with an infused continental menu and outstanding wine list of domestic and imported.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Dock - Best Restaurants in Newport Beach ›
The Dock reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
romantic (54)special occasion (54)scenic view (48)fit for foodies (43)neighborhood gem (42)great for outdoor dining (39)notable wine list (36)great for brunch (22)good for groups (7)great for lunch (5)hot spot (4)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- The Dock Sunday Prix Fix BrunchmikegmangaDined on 9/7/2014Right in a trendy little section of Newport Beach this very intimate and classy place is like being in a luxurious boat cabin with open air views of the Bay and quiet yachts etc. The Bloody Marys had 3 or 4 vege slices and a Lime wedge and were so good. The staff was terrific and the food was amazing. Think Frenchie California beautiful plate servings of mini latkes with Nova and next was grilled prawns over a wonderful mother of pearl risotto. The ceiling was a nice sail cloth as it is on a rectangle dock, only open on the marina water side, white linens and servers dressed to the 9s made me my sweethearts hero..... Thank You Dock.Special Features:
- Brunch With BoatsGoodieFoodieDined on 9/7/2014We had a delightful birthday brunch here. We were seated right over the dock but in the shade, and watched the boats ease by while listening to the soothing wake lapping up against the platform. The service was impeccable-- formal rules of serving to and removing from the table, while being friendly and unstuffy. The entire staff remembered the special occasion though it had only been mentioned in passing. Our only regret was that we could only choose one from the first course [prix fixe menu for brunch] and one from the second. This was an exceptional experience. If only we had a yacht to pull right up to the table....Special Features:
- Way too many better choices in NBseasoneddinerDined on 8/31/2014Interesting décor. They use pillows so the folks at the next very close table don't lean an elbow in on you while you're eating. We order only entrees, and the server says, "are you sure- I hope you have lots to talk about, as its going to be quite a long wait for your food" Ambience - well, as the server explained, the wiring in the place was never replaced, so when the kitchen uses an appliance or electricity of any kind, the table lights flicker, then fade in and out- sort of eerie at first, then gets just plain annoying. The wine was nice, as they have a nice wine list, although the wines shown by the glass differed than what was actually in place in the wine dispenser.
- Beautiful spot, excellent menuweinpuppeDined on 8/30/2014I am still dreaming of their Red Wine Braised Short Ribs, oh my! Slow-cooked perfection! My husband picked this place as we wanted to take it easy this Labor Day weekend & indulge. We wanted to have a nice dinner with a beautiful view and that's what we got. The restaurant is somewhat small, the serving area is long & narrow, as docks are supposed to be, right? Great service, good wine & dessert menus as well. So, if you're looking for a perfect romantic dinner, this is your spot. To bring it up a notch -on the romanticism- you may arrive by water taxi! I didn't give this lovely place 5 stars because the tables in the middle area are too close, the couples next to our table could hear everything! A bit uncomfortable, though, easy to fix.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite restaurantDCdinerVIPDined on 8/13/2014If you're in the Newport Beach area, this is a must! A lovely, small restaurant with wonderful food, outstanding service and a great atmosphere. Don't miss it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazingsmiths22VIPDined on 8/9/2014I have eaten here three times and the food is always a hit! Such a pleasant surprise to have something different and creative in Orange County while not straying into anything odd! Small so gets crowded but not noisy; service good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Most EnjoyableAroth98609Dined on 8/8/2014We recently dined at The Dock for a family celebration. The whole experience was exceptional. When we arrived, there was a bit of a wait for our reserved table so the hostess provided us with complimentary champagne and an amuse bouche. From that through the dessert - the food was superb. This chef and kitchen understand flavor combinations extremely well. Every dish was straightforward yet had interesting complexity. The dining room couldn't be more charming. It manages to be elegant and still cozy at the same time with an open view of the bay. Our waitstaff was knowledgeable and friendly - not at all stuffy. Yes, it is a bit pricey but this restaurant is the best example on the positive side of "you get what you pay for."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautleful findDogloverDined on 8/7/2014A little gem in Newport. Doesn't look so hot from outside but inside is beautiful. White tablecloths great food friendly non invasive staff and a parade of boats and paddle boarders. Heaven.Special Features:
- Special gemBldkidDined on 8/3/2014Just need some fans to help with the air we wanted to leave ASAP because of humidity ! Love if you had cocktails availableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experienceluv2eatoutDined on 8/1/2014Had a great anniversary dinner. All courses were delicious. The service was outstanding. Great view of the harbor. We definitely will come back.Special Features:
- MY VERY FAVORITE RESTUARANTCruise2eatVIPDined on 7/30/2014The Dock transforms you to Europe. A small intimate setting and such a unique experience to take a Duffy to go to dinner.(it Is an electric boat) The food is always exceptional. Cannot resist the delicious warm rolls. From presentation to taste the chef is spot on. Love the seasonal changes to the menu.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/20/2014Outstanding food and service. Beautiful view and a great place to dine when arriving by boat. We will be back.Special Features:
- Sittin on the dock of a baybaselineDined on 7/13/2014Great food. View to die for overlooking the dock. Delightful Sunday brunch. Only complaint. Finding parking was hell.Special Features:
- Great view, great foodDCdinerVIPDined on 7/11/2014This is our go to spot to fete our friends and ourselves. The food is wonderful, the atmosphere lovely and the service outstanding. It is one of the best restaurants we've been to. Don't be deterred by the street or the entrance, once inside, you'll be blown away. A must see when in SoCal.Special Features:
- Awesome find in NPB2twoEatDined on 7/6/2014Very Good a Foodie fav! The staff was very knowledgable although the Trend in Restaurants everywhere seems the same..You run into the Hostess on their IPhone , this place was no exception..you leave you get a glance up from the IPhone ..Bye!Special Features:
- The bestOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/5/2014Amazing food and amazing quaint spot. Very cool and enjoyable. Such a good change from the noisy Newport Beach dining scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodieDined on 6/27/2014Our dinner was excellent, food superb, service was attentive but I will not give 5 stars because we were a party of 6 and were not told that the tip was already included in the bill. We almost double tipped the bill, but fortunately one in our party noticed that the tip was already included. Full disclosure please!Special Features:
- WOW!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/22/2014We had a group of eight people for Sunday brunch for our daughter's birthday and the service was amazing! We have a large family so we have become very frustrated when the gratuity is included, the service becomes non-existent, even at five-star restaurants. This was certainly NOT the case here! The food was incredible, especially the pork belly with the eggs benedict - everyone's favorite. The ambiance was beautiful and we all commented that if was very quiet, even though the restaurant was full. We will definitely return to The Dock!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- garperVIPDined on 6/18/2014the Dock is an absolute gem. The romantic setting on the Bay, the delicious food, the incredible wine list and the immaculate personalized attention set this restaurant apart. It is the closest thing to being in Europe that exists in Newport Beach. Kudos to the Overstreets !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newport Beach - The DockOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/18/2014My wife and I finally made it to the Dock for one of our latest fine dining experiences. Been meaning to try this place for a while now. We've been to the little sister - The Porch - which is great too, but more casual. The Dock has an impressive but pricey wine list to choose from. Appetizers are terrific. We had the iceberg salad and the spicy tuna for starters. Choosing the main course wasn't tough either...everything looked good so go with your gut on this one. I had the short rib, which is known to be one of the yummier items on the menu. I was very pleased. Limited desserts to choose from...only pineapple up-side-down cake with toasted coconut ice cream - which was to die for; and some chocolate item, which was just okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected and MagicalElegantVIPDined on 6/11/2014On a quiet side street, tucked out of the way is this incredible place. All outdoor and on the water. Fantastic selections and incredible service. This is my new favorite place for special occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the DockjockoVIPDined on 6/6/2014We had a great evening. Food is delicious. Ambience great!! Anxious to return.Special Features:
- Excellent all roundTravellingCaliforniaDined on 6/5/2014The waiter was exceptional he knew the menu inside out giving us all great advise on food and wine. The food was great tasting and presented excellently. Next time we visit the area we will defo returnSpecial Features:
- Great romantic placeTiredofmastrosDined on 5/31/2014I went with great expectations, I wanted an upscale place that I could have a romantic dinner with good food and wine. All my expectations were met, the staff is beyond accommodating, the food presentation was perfect and everything we tried was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pretty placeMJ25Dined on 5/29/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday because he had never been. It was a little awkward because upon walking in at 7 for our reservation, we were the only ones there. The food was good and the ambiance is amazing. There were a couple disappointments, however... the waiter had a weird smell. There were gnats flying around right above our table the entire time so I was swatting them away throughout the meal. Lastly, there was some stuff floating in my wine. The waiter said it could be sediment because of how the wine is made, which is fine, but let's just say there were a lot of sediments in that glass if that is true.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Brunch of Memorial Day WeekendgraneyDined on 5/25/2014Some friends and I went to many brunches this memorial day weekend. We were most impressed by this one. Even more amazingly, it wasn't the most expensive! Their fixed menu brunch was only $30 each. That worried us that it would just be average. We were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food and creativity of the menu.Special Features:
- The following 226 reviews are from the The Dock reviews archive.
- Very nice Sunday brunchCaldreamDined on 5/18/2014We really enjoyed the food and ambiance at the Dock. The flavors and preparation of our 2 courses were excellent. The greeting upon arrival was not up to par and the service was good but a notch below what it should have been.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic anniversary celebrationRobertJDined on 5/10/2014We used open table from the restaurant website and accepted an early time, 5:45. We added a note that we were celebrating our 35th anniversary. On arrival we were greeted with a "congratulations" and seated at the best table. (near the water and on the left side so as to be seated against the wall on a couch and able to see all that was going on) Our server was most friendly, knowledgable and genuine. He assisted with our wine selection and a discussion of the menu. We both chose different fish and they were prepared to perfection. Moist and flavorful. They honored us with a dessert for our celebration. An apple pastry with pistacio ice cream. Wonderful. Thank you to everyone at The Dock! We will returnSpecial Features:
- Good food, poor serviceFoodieDined on 5/4/2014Had Sunday brunch-1 choice each of 1st and 2nd course for $30, not including drinks. Steep price for a 2 dish brunch. Our party ordered Gravlax w potatoe latkes (nothing special), Green n Red Kale Salad (too sweet), Steak Tartar (looked like partially cooked ground beef, but tasted OK), Fried Calamari (nothing special), Brioche French Toast (Excellent! Fluffy toast w subtle sweetness), Crust Less Quiche (good), Grilled Prawns (good), Eggs Benedict (excellent). While food was better than average overall, the service was unpleasant. Our waiter never once smiled and was abrupt in manners. After we paid, the matre'd told us to wrap it up bc there is another seating, though there were many tables not occupied. It was rude the way she handled.Special Features:
- Romantic ViewtrekgirlDined on 5/3/2014Gorgeous view perfect date night spot. Think I found the man of my dreams. Salad a bit overdressed. Wines by the glass a bit overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No GoldilocksGoldilocksDined on 5/1/2014The server, food and ambiance were very good. The food was priced well for the quality of the preparation and presentation. The wine however was severely overpriced in my opinion. This prevented us from indulging in more wine and dessert. This will keep me from coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Visit To The DockHappyGrandpaDined on 4/27/2014A number of friends have given their highest recommendations that we try The Dock. We went for our 48th Anniversary with two of our daughters, our son-in-law and our 2 year old grandson. While the restaurant is not set up to cater to children the staff and the chef went out of their way to make sure it worked well for our grandson as well as ourselves (it must be noted that where we go he goes! - that is our credo) The service was outstanding, the food was excellent, the wine selection was extensive and our server - Danielle - was very well informed and quite helpful with our wine choices. We couldn't have had a better anniversary dinner - we will be going back many times in the future!Special Features:
- Totally booked...hmmmShannonBDined on 4/25/20141st of all, the only res available was 6:15 not my ideal time but I took it. We get there and only one table seated. Over the next 1 1/2 hrs only 2 tables seated. Annoying since I preferred a later time. The first time there but it was early so walked in, I got a look from the hostess and a "Well let me see if we have any thing available" attitude. She comes back and seats us in a completely empty restaurant! Maybe their prices wouldn't be so expensive if they sat and served more tables, the food was just OK. $25 Chardonnay, and only 1 option. I don't have a problem spending the money but certain expectations come along with a higher price tag. I recommend their sister restaurant around the corner where they have it dialed in, The Porch.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerElyseDined on 4/9/2014Cozy and quaint. Perfect spot to enjoy a romantic dinner and glass of wine. Situated right on the water. It is peaceful and inviting. I would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The dockOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/6/2014Liked it overall Really good brunch but not really outdoor diningSpecial Features:
- Outstanding Brunch at The DockwinecountryladyDined on 4/6/2014Daughter and I had a great Sunday brunch last weekend at The Dock. We were charmed with the ambiance - indoor posh patio, open windows on one end overlooking water and yachts, white tablecloths/flowers on tables. Not only was the setting lovely, but the food and plating were outstanding and high quality. Their brunch offers two courses, with 8-10 choices per course - Mimosas and Bloody Marys avail also. Plenty of selections to create both breakfast and lunch combinations. For course 1, daughter had the quinoa salad and I had gravlox latkes - both delicious. For course 2, daughter had the gravlox eggs benedict and I had the brioche french toast with bacon. Diners at tables close by had equally wonderful looking food. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a gem on Balboa Island.DCdinerVIPDined on 4/4/2014This is a gem on Balboa Island. Everything about it whispers taste, attention to detail, wonderful seating with a great view, and fabulous food (I would say shouts, but it would destroy the ambiance). It is the go-to place for a wonderful night out or Sunday brunch in the Newport Beach-Laguna Beach area. I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing BrunchCutebarboyDined on 3/30/2014While visiting from TX, I found this place by searching reviews. Enjoyed a brunch like no other. It was amazing. Would totally recommend this to friends and family. 5 stars all around.Special Features:
- Amazing Dinner!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/22/2014What another fabulous dinner at The Dock! I had the pork belly which was absolutely insane…so tender and the sauce had the perfect mixture of sweet and salty. Ordered the fish with gnocchi. The fish was moist and flavorful and the gnocchi melted in your mouth. My favorite part about this restaurant is the beautiful ambiance with comfortable seating and a gorgeous view of the bay. Every time I walk into the restaurant I am instantly in a great mood. I could eat here every night of the week.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful, deliciousMagicsaraVIPDined on 3/7/2014Lovely, lovely restaurant with great service (they don't hover but they know when you need something) and delicious food. I've come here on a date, then with girlfriends, then with my parents - it is one of those rare finds that is good for all of the above.Special Features: