The Dining Room at the Berkeley Hotel
1200 East Cary Street
Richmond, VA 23219Neighborhood:
Contemporary SouthernPrice: $30 and under
The Dining Room at the Berkeley Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.berkeleyhotel.com/
- Phone: 8042255105x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday -Friday: 7:00am - 10:30am; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 7:30am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Contemporary Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Carly Herring
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have two banquet rooms that will accommodate up to 88 people.
- Private Party Facilities: We have private dining facilities for up to 100 people.
- Private Party Contact: Bryce Carson 804-225-5141x
A word from The Dining Room at the Berkeley Hotel
In the heart of Shockoe Slip, our award wining restaurant, The Dining Room at The Berkeley Hotel, boasts fine dining at its absolute best. Featuring awarding-wining menu of Virginia cuisine with a short distance from field to fork. The Dining Room serves breakfast, lunch and dinner daily. Saturday and Sunday enjoy our ala carte brunch. Holidays are celebrated with very special menus throughout the year. Rich mahogany paneling, impressionistic paintings and a spectacular view of Shockoe Slip make The Dining Room at The Berkeley Hotel special for a meal with the family, an important business lunch or any special occasion. We invite you to experience Richmond Virginia"s fine dining gem.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Dining Room at the Berkeley Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (3)special occasion (3)notable wine list (2)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)fit for foodies (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/11/2014Excellent food, bar and service. Quiet and very comfortable and cozy hotel dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a 4 diamond restauranthardtopleaseDined on 9/10/2014A dingy old dining room. Decent service. The waiter and maitre d' tried hard, I feel. The food is not of the caliber that is suggested by the 4 diamond rating of the plaques on the wall. The crab cakes were salty, and mushy. I don't even remember what my wife ate. A really, really bad dining experience.
- A Poor Dining ExperienceDiningoutDined on 8/20/2014We were a party of four celebrating a birthday. We were greeted amicably and recognized that one in our party had a birthday. We all ordered cocktails and two served with tonic from the fountain that was very old. The waiter replaced our cocktails with using bottled tonic. My wife's peanut soup was very good. Three of us ordered shrimp and grits as our main course - it was not prepared well as the grits were very lumpy and tasteless; the shrimp were ok at best. For dessert we had pecan pie that was old and almost stale. Overall this was a very poor dining experience and although the service was nice as was the decor, we have crossed off this dining location for any future outing in Richmond.
- okay but overpricedFoodieGirlDined on 7/11/2014The ambience is wonderful, like a Tudor style study in an old house, and we had a seat at the window overlooking Cary St. Service was super. The food, however, did not warrant the price and the reputation. Mushroom soup was salty in the extreme. I had to add about 1/2 c of my water to make it palatable. Otherwise it was delicious. Arugula salad was served warm and was also so salty as to be almost inedible. Crab cakes were delicious, but small. Apple crisp was decidedly uncrispy, and more of an apple brown betty, a little strong on the cinnamon. Homemade crème frache ice cream was delicious. Over all, for a total bill of $100, the food was subpar, and I would not return.Special Features:
- Decent option for guests maybeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/25/2014Generic menu, served as if there was a full house (reality was there were 2 tables sat) I would eat there again only if I were a guest at the hotel, too many options otherwise Great appetizers, stick to those and drinks and you're ok
- The following 181 reviews are from the The Dining Room at the Berkeley Hotel reviews archive.
- foodhobbyistVIPDined on 5/19/2014Based upon our experience, other reviews may have encountered off nights. Our meals were well prepared, service was attentive, and restaurant was quiet which is nice for a change. Did enjoy the evening.Special Features:
- Fine DiningWeekenderDined on 5/9/2014My wife and I enjoyed an excellent leisurely dinner in the Berkeley Hotel's dining room. The food was perfectly prepared, the crab soup and rack of lamb were wonderful, and the lamb was rare--as asked.Special Features:
- ColgateDined on 4/26/2014Restaurant week at The Dining Room at the Berkeley Hotel is our tradition the last few years. It lived up to our remembrance and provided a very nice evening. We like going there because the food is good and we are pretty much guaranteed a level of sophistication we don't find elsewhere.Special Features:
- Great food, poor serviceItsMeatUNCDined on 4/25/2014I've been to the Berkeley before but won't go back. I waited at least 3-5 minutes before someone even came up to seat us. We were on time with a reservation. The person who seated us brought water and menus, I asked for a cocktail menu and was told that it was restaurant week so they only had one menu. The bartender came over and said they don't have a cocktail menu, but she could make me something. I said sure...I was not told the cocktail I was getting was almost $14 until the bill came (it wasn't that good). We waited at15 minutes before our waitress ever came to the table...she apologized and thanked us for giving her time to breathe. We saw her maybe twice the entire dinner. They were not busy. That said, the food was amazing!Special Features:
- Disappointing foodNikiDined on 4/22/2014We went for Restaurant Week and that was a big disappointment. Downtown is already a pain to get to, needless to say the food wasn't up to standard either. First was a terrible cocktail, then, it's the menu offered very few good ones to choose from. The stew was bland and mushy like baby food, the pork left a fuel taste in my mouth. The crab cake and crispy kale was the only edible one. Risoto, poorly excuted, bland and a mess. Nothing classy but more like a homemake food that missed flavor.
- Highly disappointingRichmondFoodieDined on 4/22/2014We thought this would be a good choice to try some really good food & have good service, but we were quickly proven wrong. Our waiter was not attentive. The time between him checking on us took so long that we thought he was both preparing the meals and serving. The idea wasn't far fetched. The corn fritters were burned, the Brunswick stew tasted like ingredients were just thrown together at the last minute, the shrimp and grits were soupy and overly salted, the petit fours were dry and the ice cream had totally melted before arriving at our table. The Makers Mark tasted like a lower brand bourbon and our water glasses were continuously empty. To top it off, our bill was incorrect. We remained pleasant & tipped well, but won't return.
- Easter BrunchFourFriendsDined on 4/20/2014The food was outstanding. Enough choices without being overwhelmed. Could not have been more pleased. We have never dined here before and over the years have eaten at various hotel Easter buffets only to be very disappointed. This was fantastic and we asked to see their regular brunch menu and dinner menu and we will be back. All four of us also noticed how perfect the temperature of the food was. So often your food is not hot and as you eat it, it often gets cold. This was not the case! Kudos to the chef and staff! Waitress was wonderful too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- berkeley diningjohnDined on 4/9/2014menu needs to be updated. needs more varied selections. beef tenderloin portion was less than i've ever been served at any restaurant. looked to be maybe 4 ounces.Special Features:
- Appetizers were good, butLuv2doWIneVIPDined on 3/1/2014Appetizers were good, but mains left something to be desired. Service was good but I think the chef needs some changes in the kitchen. The meatloaf my husband had was not tasty and the Flounder needs to have the skin taken off after cooking. The crab bisque was delicious and the salads fresh too. Not sure I can recommend. Prices are a bit high too.
- Not greatRichDined on 2/16/2014The brunch main dish was very good but the side order of grits were very soupy. Also the door was left open and made it very uncomfortable.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/15/2014We enjoyed an outstanding meal, six years ago. The quality of the food was not the same, Saturday night. The lobster bisque was excellent but the snapper was mediocre. The snapper was slightly overcooked, sitting on a large serving of wild rice, and hidden by a pile of heavy spinach. The cappuccino was tepid and the coffee weak. The best part of the meal was our waiter, Will. He did a fine job of being attentive, not obtrusive.Special Features:
- Great in Every WayDonoDined on 2/9/2014We went here for Sunday Brunch. The food, atmosphere and service exceeded all expectations ! Great intimate spot.Special Features:
- Definitely the type of restaurantLynnDined on 2/5/2014Definitely the type of restaurant I prefer - excellent ambiance and excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & drinksLeYacaVIPDined on 12/30/2013Our server tried jump in our conversation the whole time but other than that it was great! I also like that they have valet parking.Special Features:
- We were very disappointed!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/26/2013We were very disappointed! The food was mediocre at best, we have dined for half the price and three times the taste of the food.
- Christmas dinnerJustmeDined on 12/25/2013My husband and I were in town for Christmas, visiting my father who is in Assisted Living. It was so nice to come out to a nice restaurant for Christmas Day. I understand everyone should have the day off but it makes it extra special to have a wonderful place to eat for a lovely family meal. The food was great, the service was good...sorta got busy several times. Valet parking was available & appreciated.Special Features:
- Not If You're HungryTime2eatDined on 12/25/2013Advertised as Christmas day lunch, $39 per person. Great atmosphere, attentive staff, very small amounts of delicious food on great big plates for a lot of money. They should call it a tasting menu and be honest about it. This was two appetizers for a hundred bucks.
- Great Night of Elegant DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/24/2013The Berkeley Hotel offers a terrific quality dining experience for anyone interested in outstanding food, great service, and a wonderful atmosphere. My daughter and I had an amazing Christmas Eve dinner at the Berkeley and highly recommend it to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Lunch SpotVATransplantDined on 12/23/2013The place where we planned to have lunch wasn't open; booked a reservation at the Berkely Hotel for 30 minutes later and had our driver drop us off. From the moment we walked in, we were impressed. We were immediately seated at the window and the waiter immediately showed up to talk about the day's special. Even as more people showed up, he never missed a beat. The truffle fries were hot and very good; the chicken salad with apples was some of the best I've had and the service couldn't have been better. We were so impressed, we're considering staying at the Berkely during our next Richmond getaway. No matter what, we will definitely eat here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Onion soup was mediocre atOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/23/2013Onion soup was mediocre at best; fry's were dry and barely warm; coffee was weak and just warm. Overall very disappointing.
- Christmas lunchRichmondExecDined on 12/17/2013Comfortable seating for a moderate size group. Wonderful waitstaff. Food was good, but nothing special. I was a little disappointed that the dining room was not decorated more festively for Christmas. Our group really enjoyed the lunch.Special Features:
- Bad in every wayBradfordDined on 12/15/2013A dissappointment in every way from the less than mediocre service to the bad diner brunch food for everyone. One menu item sums it up the easiest the burger. It was served rare when ordered medium, evident even prior to cutting it open. It was returned to the kitchen and they resurface the burger which they charred and re-served. However it still wasn't cooked. The server promised to remove it from the ticket but he did not follow through. Then how could a since he was nearly non-existent during the entire meal. Don't waste your time or money.
- I had not been to the DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/11/2013I had not been to the Dining Room at the Berkley for at least five years and was surprised how much it had declined in my opinion. Perhaps my memory is clouded but I recall the ambiance being much more luxurious, it seems the tables and chairs have been downgraded (again perhaps my memory) but I always viewed the Dining Room as a special place to take an out of town guest and I do not get that sense after our dinner this week. there was no host/hostess to meet us, we had to go into the bar to get seated. While the food was fine (good not great), the menu is much smaller than I remember it being. There was a time when the DR was a good competitor to LeMere, sorry to say not any more.
- reasonably good dinner outfoodeeDined on 11/8/2013Had a babysitter for first time in several months decided to try the restaurant because we had a gift voucher. Wait staff/service was attentive and helpful. The decore seemed a little dated and oldschool, gentlemen's smoking room style but tasteful. The food was cooked well and had good flavors but lacked any originality in appearance, just placed on a plate with no garnishments to make it look special. The price was fair for what we got. If you want a restuarant with decent food and quite enough so you can talk to your date without yelling this is a good spot. I would probably go back but I would not have called this fine dining, just OK dining.Special Features:
- DisappointedFoodie410Dined on 10/19/2013We thought that such a nice hotel would have a good restaurant but we were very disappointed. One meal was very salty and my meal was tasteless, Service was also rather poor. As we were entitled to continental breakfast with our room we enjoyed the breakfast much better the dinner but the service was indifferent.
- MenurheinlandDined on 10/15/2013Loved the attention to Gluten free and other dietary needs of customers. And the flavors were exquisite.Special Features:
- Wonderful EveningRicFoodieDined on 10/13/2013We were greeted by name and given the best table in the house. Our waiter took exceptional care of us and made our anniversary everything I hoped it would be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The quality of the food hascuisineDined on 9/28/2013The quality of the food has deteriorated. It has been several years since we have been there. Crabcakes are flat and scorched with little crab. In fact, everything accompanying them was scorched/burned. We had to look for a host or hostess to seat us. It took a while.
- Great restaurant!HarryDined on 8/17/2013What a wonderful find. The Dining Room at the Berkeley has ambiance, great food with super presentation, and good prices. We were really impressed with this restaurant! It started with free valet parking. Then a beautiful restaurant with a lovely view "slip dining scene." Next was the wonderful service. Then topped off with a beautiful menu and food prepared to perfection. We can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Downtown Diningluv2dineDined on 8/8/2013We enjoyed the food, atmosphere and service at this downtown hotel. Very nice atmosphere for couples, or groups. We had crab bisque that was the best we have ever had and we have tried it all over the country. We had the Seared Chicken Breast with Risotto and the Salmon en Papillote. Both were well prepared and flavorful. They also accommodate Gluten Free diners which is a wonderful plus! We will definitely return on our next visit to Richmond!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expectations met!Foodie1946Dined on 7/19/2013My husband and I were in Richmond for just one night, so dinner was the only meal we enjoyed at The Berkeley. Both of our entrees were excellent, service was attentive but not intrusive, and we didn't feel rushed at all. Will definitely come back when we come to Richmond. Lovely hotel, though the street scene on East Cary can get pretty rowdy on the weekends with the various bars/"hot spots" around. (Ask for a back wall room:-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must in RichmondasigmonDined on 7/18/2013I love the Berkeley Hotel. Great food and impeccable service, in a lovely setting.Special Features:
- Awesome ambience bleh foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/15/2013The restaurant itself was gorgeous and had nice views onto the neighboring streets. However, the food was incredibly plain. For such an elegant atmosphere I was expecting something lavish to come to my table. I had the Chesapeake omelette with grits. The food was very drab. Highly recommend coming in to grab a drink but not to order from the menu.
- Fancy Adult FareSyracuseNativeDined on 5/12/2013I was hoping that they would have had more brunch type items for their Mother's Day menu so that I would not have had to eat dinner food at noon. Overall food was good even though it was geared more towards adults than my 10 year old.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nicekeani529Dined on 5/11/2013The dining room was very quiet and clean. The food was excellent. My only complaint was the service. We were not greeted upon arrival to the dining room. No one was at the host station and we didn't know if we should be seating ourselves. After several minutes of waiting, we asked the front desk for help and she was able to find our host and waiter. Despite this delay in getting seated, the overall experience was pretty good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.