The Dining Room at the Berkeley Hotel
1200 East Cary Street
Richmond, VA 23219Neighborhood:
Contemporary SouthernPrice: $30 and under
The Dining Room at the Berkeley Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.berkeleyhotel.com/
- Phone: 8042255105x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday -Friday: 7:00am - 10:30am; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 7:30am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Contemporary Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Carly Herring
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have two banquet rooms that will accommodate up to 88 people.
- Private Party Facilities: We have private dining facilities for up to 100 people.
- Private Party Contact: Bryce Carson 804-225-5141x
A word from The Dining Room at the Berkeley Hotel
In the heart of Shockoe Slip, our award wining restaurant, The Dining Room at The Berkeley Hotel, boasts fine dining at its absolute best. Featuring awarding-wining menu of Virginia cuisine with a short distance from field to fork. The Dining Room serves breakfast, lunch and dinner daily. Saturday and Sunday enjoy our ala carte brunch. Holidays are celebrated with very special menus throughout the year. Rich mahogany paneling, impressionistic paintings and a spectacular view of Shockoe Slip make The Dining Room at The Berkeley Hotel special for a meal with the family, an important business lunch or any special occasion. We invite you to experience Richmond Virginia"s fine dining gem.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Dining Room at the Berkeley Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (3)special occasion (3)great for brunch (2)scenic view (1)fit for foodies (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- MarvelousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2012Fantastic food, lovely quiet place - impressed our client greatlySpecial Features:
- We were so discerpointed withOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/15/2012We were so discerpointed with our dinner reservation at the Berkely, it was very below expectation, the menu don't know what to say, not much of a selection, but we have to order something, and what we got to an afternoon brunch, you can call it a snack, with over $50.00 price tag. The waiters were not very wellcoming or friendly, the reservation was not even noted, no one was at the entrance, to the dinning area.Special Features:
- A 5 Diamond Restaurant FailedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 6/17/2012Went to Sunday Brunch on Father's Day in what was purported to be a AAA 5 Diamond Restaurant. The food and decor certainly lived up to the standard. Unfortunately, the restaurant was sadly understaffed with 2 waiters waiting on 10 tables (approximately 40 people) with no bartender. They were inept at service - forgetting orders, not supplying coffee when asked twice, delaying presentation of the bill when asked. The manager brought the food from the kitchen to the bar where the waiters picked it up and served it eventually. Sad for a $35 brunch per person.Special Features:
- Unfortunately , my first visitsouperchefgDined on 6/17/2012Unfortunately , my first visit to the Berkeley , might be my last.We were celebrating my Mother's birthday and the service as well as the food was sub-standard (I've had better food at Denny's!)For being a "Four-Diamond" establishment I expect a lot more ( you should be rated with 4 Cubic Zirconia!
- Very quiet place, a littleOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/29/2012Very quiet place, a little too quiet. Food was good, however the menu did not blow me away.Special Features:
- One of Richmond's BESTHarryDined on 4/28/2012Loved it thoroughly and want to go back again. The atmosphere and the food were outstanding.Special Features:
- Food was really good and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/27/2012Food was really good and service was too. Parking in that area can be bad but they offer complimentary valet. We went during restaurant week and the portion size was pretty small. Not sure how much food would be served regularly or how expensive it would be. Even though the food was really good, the cost and portion size will deter us from going there frequently. Great for special occasions though.Special Features:
- We return here often for severalfrequentdinerVIPDined on 4/27/2012We return here often for several reasons. 1) We really enjoy the opportunity offered before 6 p.m. to dine on a three course menu with smaller portions. 2) We enjoy the opportunity to receive 3 oz. pours for wine pairings with the courses. Our servers have been particularly helpful in this because they are very knowledgeable regarding the wines. 3) Because we have requested dark napkins several times, they now prepare our table with black napkins in preparation for our reservation. That is outstanding service in our opinion!
- Dining at the BerkeelyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/24/2012There were 4 of us and we purposely choose different things for the appetizers. The liver appetizer was superb, best in class in fact; the crab bisque was also excellent and worth a rave; the fried green tomato presentation was exquisite, but sadly the taste was uneven with the relish delicious and the actual tomato and its batter very poor; the salad was okay only. We fared better with entrees. 2 of us had the trout which was great; 2 had the shrimp and grits which was pronounced good. Deserts: the coconut topped Red Velvet Cake was rather dry, the icing uninteresting; the apple bread pudding was quite good but lacked a sauce to give it some needed moisture, or even a dollop of ice cream would have helped this.Special Features:
- Prime rib to be ashamed of. . .OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/20/2012We had a reservation for a special birthday dinner for my wife, and the service and ambience were what we had come to expect from previous visits. Excellent wine list,salads, and a wonderful asparagus soup garnished with prosciutto. A GREAT disappointment, however, was the Prime Rib both my wife and I ordered. Tough, chewy, gristley, and NOT what you expect at a fine restaurant bragging about 4 Diamonds, for $29. Definitely a low-quality cut of meat they should be embarrassed by. Definitely spoiled a special occasion.Special Features:
- Error with OpenTableOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/15/2012OpenTable itself let us down! I attempted to reserve lunch for four at 1pm Sunday. Your system informed me that there were no tables available at that time. Consequently I booked at 12:30 pm. At one o'clock we were the ONLY people dining! You need to modify OpenTable to inform customers WHY tables are not available. In this case because lunch was not served at or after 1pm.As a result of this experience I plan to call the restaurant of choice to make my reservation, since I cannot trust OpenTable.
- We love the Berkeley and havecmmeachamDined on 4/7/2012We love the Berkeley and have been going there for years. The new chef is fabulous, but they need to increase the kitchen and wait staff. It took us 2 1/2 hours to have dinner and we just had drinks, soup and an entree. We thought about desert but figured it would take another hour. Our waitress was all over the place trying to keep up and it's obvious they just didn't have enough staff. We were there on Valentine's day and they had the same problem then. We love the live music on Saturday nights and have come in recently just to have drinks and strawberries and listen to Ms Covell sing. That and the great chef have made this a favorite, but they really need to do something about being so shorthanded.Special Features:
- This was our anniversary andLonghornDined on 4/6/2012This was our anniversary and we chose the Berkeley for dining because of their reputation and because we have dined there in the past. Will, our server, made everything work out right. Great food, great wines--we could not be happier and will definitely return.Special Features:
- This Dining Room is lovely.rustyDined on 4/6/2012This Dining Room is lovely. We were very impressed when we went in for dinner. The service is excellent and the menu had wonderful choices, including the specials for the evening. Our meals were delicious and we would definitely return.Special Features:
- What a charming and beautifulOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/6/2012What a charming and beautiful spot for lunch. It hearkens back to a more genteel era, when meals moved at a slower pace, and food was elegantly presented. I have always had a good meal here.Special Features:
- Always excellent food andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/30/2012Always excellent food and service. We have enjoyed this restaurant for years. It is a real treat every time we go--about 3-4 times per year.Special Features:
- The service was amazing.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/10/2012The service was amazing. The food sadly did not match up to the level of service.Special Features:
- I was somewhat disappointed.MooseDined on 3/3/2012I was somewhat disappointed. All I'd heard over the years about the Dining Room at the Berkeley, and it's four-star (diamond?) rating and all...the food was good, but I've had much better. The wine list was very comprehensive though.Special Features:
- Beware of the Brunswick Stew!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/15/2012The Brunswick stew was WAY TOO SPICY! But other than that, the food was delicious! I got the rainbow trout and my fiance ordered the crab cakes. We loved the entrees and would order them again. I was really disappointed with the Brunswick stew because it was one of the few things I was really looking forward to. The "stew" was actually more like a vegetable soup with a little bit of shredded chicken, then mixed with seemed like a whole bottle of pepper! It was way too spicy and "soupy." It should have been thick, with a hint of heat at the most.Special Features:
- My husband and I had an excellentBettyDined on 2/14/2012My husband and I had an excellent experience for our Valentine's Day dinner. We arrived a bit early for our 7:15 pm reservations and they explained they were running a little behind. We had a drink at the bar and were seated at the window at 7:25. We had no problem with that. The meal was wonderful and the service couldn't be better. We will return.Special Features:
- A meal to remembercmmeachamDined on 2/14/2012The Berkeley lost its chef a few years ago and spent a few years in the doldrums while it went through a few more. Well, they have it right now! The meal we had there was one of the best we've ever had in Richmond. Every course from soup to dessert was amazing and beautifully presented. The live music was perfect, creating a romantic mood without being so loud that you couldn't talk to each other. A wonderful experience!Special Features:
- We enjoyed celebrating myOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/7/2012We enjoyed celebrating my husband's birthday at dinner and spent the night! We enjoyed the chicken liver and pickled beets appetizer and were especially pleased by the small plate option which was not Small, but just right!Special Features:
- wonderful crab soup. nice,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/24/2012wonderful crab soup. nice, quiet setting, nice service.Special Features:
- Very good food, but quiteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/20/2012Very good food, but quite expensive for what is offered. Everything is a la carte. Paid $8 for a cup of soup. Excellent soup, but value for the money is poor.Special Features:
- We had a great dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/27/2011We had a great dining experience. The service was excellent. The mushroom ravoli was great. Nice cozy atmosphere. Will return.Special Features:
- A Sophisticated Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/24/2011Fabulous restaurant with great ambiance, wonderful service and very fine cuisine.Special Features:
- At a cost of over $100/personOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/24/2011At a cost of over $100/person excellence and something special is expected. It just was not delivered. Food was good, service was average, nothing stood out.
- NOT PLEASEDOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/23/2011My new bride and I had lunch here the day after our wedding. It was a place I thought would have been extremely nice but was let down greatly. The dining room was nice and had great appeal. The service was lacking quite a bit. We were the only table in the restaraunt for about 45 minutes and we only saw our server once or twice. He barely talked to us and was quiet the whole time we were there. When the food arrived it was less than expected. Quanity for the price I paid was unbelievable. And the food was just your normal every day tasting, nothing special about it. For all of the AAA awards for this facility I was not impressed at all with this place. A waste of my money.
- Great place for a special occasion!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/9/2011My girlfriend and I went here for a special occasion and loved it. We were seated promptly, the food was exceptional and so was the service. We will be going back again soon!Special Features:
- Nice setting for a romanticOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/3/2011Nice setting for a romantic dinner or special occasion group dining. The staff were attentive, the menu selection was excellent, and we really enjoyed the piano playing in the background. Watching people pass by the windows outside in the Shockoe Slip was a nice touch. We would come back again for dinner.Special Features:
- Just could not have foundOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/3/2011Just could not have found a more elegant place for a Saturday dinner with our little group of five! We will return!Special Features:
- I was disappointed in thedreedDined on 12/2/2011I was disappointed in the food and the service. I won't go again.
- The dining room is quiet,RichmondFoodieVIPDined on 11/27/2011The dining room is quiet, and good for conversation. The food was good but not memorable. The service was terrible. My husband and I were having brunch and they got my order completely wrong. It arrived when my husband finished his meal. No apologies from the waiter. (and we happened to overhear a gentleman behind us who had the same experience with his order). There are too many other really good restaurants in Richmond. The Berkeley will not be on my list again.
- Love the Berkeley dining roomOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/24/2011Love the Berkeley dining room and come there often but the turkey potatoes and stuffing were cold. My husband had a delicious filet and dessert was excellent Thanksgiving is a hectic day I am sure.Excellent service.Always attentive.. We''ll be backSpecial Features:
- All that glitters is not gold.DNCBLUEDEVILDined on 11/24/2011Despite great expectations, the Thanksgiving Day menu proved "all hat and no cattle," as Texans tacitly talk. In the culinary world, a more apropos idiom, "all sizzle and no steak" sadly summarized our party's experience. For example, the choice of pumpkin cheesecake as a fourth course, disappointed over half of us. More cake than cheese; dry best described our dessert. All table talk--regarding the meal--terminated after the first course as appetizers appeared appealing yet addled our anticipation. Although attempting affable altruism by sharing spoonful samples as if aficionados, acceptability atrophied in silent, sociable acquiescence. In other words, we stifled the food critic and enjoyed a pleasant, quiet and unhurried atmosphere.Special Features:
- The service was WONDERFULBpeteDined on 11/19/2011The service was WONDERFUL and very personalized. Thank you!!Special Features:
- Wonderful Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/3/2011Great Experience. I'll be back. I would recommend the Berkley.Special Features:
- The portions were very smallOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/28/2011The portions were very small and tast was just okay. The deserts: bourbon bread pudding and molton lava chocolate cake were served cold and were not great. Very disappointed with our experience. The only nice part of the evening was the waitress.
- This is always a special nightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/28/2011This is always a special night out. We will be back in December to see the Christmas decorations in the hotel and outside of the front window of the restaurant. This has become an annual event for us as has our annual Christmas trip to Williamsburg.Special Features:
- Went for restaurant week.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/27/2011Went for restaurant week. Shrimp and grits were dry and breadpudding was flavorless