The Dining Room at the Berkeley Hotel
1200 East Cary Street
Richmond, VA 23219Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Dining Room at the Berkeley Hotel
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.berkeleyhotel.com/
- Phone: (804) 225-5105
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday -Friday: 7:00am - 10:30am; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 7:30am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chef Ken Wall
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We have two banquet rooms that will accommodate up to 88 people.
- Private Party Facilities: We have private dining facilities for up to 100 people.
- Private Party Contact: Nicole McAllister 804-225-5141x
A word from The Dining Room at the Berkeley Hotel
In the heart of Shockoe Slip, our casually elegant restaurant, The Dining Room at The Berkeley Hotel, serves seasonally inspired regional dishes and southern inspired American cuisine. The Dining Room serves breakfast, lunch and dinner daily. Start with Chef Wall’s version of fried green tomatoes topped with Virginia bourbon bacon Jam then try our signature lump crab cakes and finish your meal with a slice of our own pumpkin cheesecake. On Saturdays and Sundays enjoy our a’la carte brunch. Come enjoy our comfortable, inviting atmosphere and warm hospitality with a spectacular view of Shockoe Slip. We also feature a separate bar with hand-crafted cocktails, a large wine list specializing in Virginia wineries and a lighter fare menu. Visit us soon; complimentary valet parking is always available to our dining guests.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Dining Room at the Berkeley Hotel reviews from OpenTable diners
10 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (5)special occasion (5)great for brunch (1)fit for foodies (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Excellent Downtown Diningluv2dineDined on 8/8/2013We enjoyed the food, atmosphere and service at this downtown hotel. Very nice atmosphere for couples, or groups. We had crab bisque that was the best we have ever had and we have tried it all over the country. We had the Seared Chicken Breast with Risotto and the Salmon en Papillote. Both were well prepared and flavorful. They also accommodate Gluten Free diners which is a wonderful plus! We will definitely return on our next visit to Richmond!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expectations met!Foodie1946Dined on 7/19/2013My husband and I were in Richmond for just one night, so dinner was the only meal we enjoyed at The Berkeley. Both of our entrees were excellent, service was attentive but not intrusive, and we didn't feel rushed at all. Will definitely come back when we come to Richmond. Lovely hotel, though the street scene on East Cary can get pretty rowdy on the weekends with the various bars/"hot spots" around. (Ask for a back wall room:-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must in RichmondasigmonDined on 7/18/2013I love the Berkeley Hotel. Great food and impeccable service, in a lovely setting.Special Features:
- Awesome ambience bleh foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/15/2013The restaurant itself was gorgeous and had nice views onto the neighboring streets. However, the food was incredibly plain. For such an elegant atmosphere I was expecting something lavish to come to my table. I had the Chesapeake omelette with grits. The food was very drab. Highly recommend coming in to grab a drink but not to order from the menu.
- Fancy Adult FareSyracuseNativeDined on 5/12/2013I was hoping that they would have had more brunch type items for their Mother's Day menu so that I would not have had to eat dinner food at noon. Overall food was good even though it was geared more towards adults than my 10 year old.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nicekeani529Dined on 5/11/2013The dining room was very quiet and clean. The food was excellent. My only complaint was the service. We were not greeted upon arrival to the dining room. No one was at the host station and we didn't know if we should be seating ourselves. After several minutes of waiting, we asked the front desk for help and she was able to find our host and waiter. Despite this delay in getting seated, the overall experience was pretty good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The staff at The Dining RoomOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/4/2013The staff at The Dining Room were very professional and catered to our every need. The food was impeccable and the ambience was outstanding. The table we had was located next to a window with a beautiful view of Cary Street. It was very romantic and certainly fit the theme for the night - our wedding anniversary. Thanks for a wonderful evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Portions were small and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/27/2013Portions were small and food was okay, but not great. Wouldn't go back.
- went for a three-course specialOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2013went for a three-course special during restaurant week, and was very pleased with the selections to choose. the ambience was good and our server "will" was superb!Special Features:
- We went to the dining roomOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/26/2013We went to the dining room for Restaurant Week and my entire party was under-whelmed with dinner. All members of the dinner party tried something different and no one enjoyed their meal...we had potatoes that were so over cooked they looked liked mushrooms, asparagus was cooked so long that it seemed fried and steak that was so tough it choked you. In addition to poor food, the amount of time we waited between our first and second course was almost an hour. I lived in Richmond for nine years and never tried this restaurant and I now know why... I do not suggest anyone else waste their time.
- What a wonderful evening -CarrieDined on 4/25/2013What a wonderful evening - we enjoyed ourselves immensely from the moment we stepped into the door and throughout the meal. It was spectacular from every standpoint. Too bad we live in Chesterfield or we would stay overnight!Special Features:
- Good, not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/22/2013Asparagus appetizer was exceptional. Entree was good, but not memorable (crab cake). One would have thought that during Restaurant Week the food would be exceptional, so as to entice diners to return in the future. The food did not accomplish that for us.
- Brunch on Palm Sunday--foodEatingOutDined on 3/24/2013Brunch on Palm Sunday--food was very good, cooked perfectly to our requests--service was excellent. Very nice atmosphere; quietSpecial Features:
- Disappointed. Snapper wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/23/2013Disappointed. Snapper was crunchy and tough. Nothing special about menu or preparation.
- Great atmosphere but food OKOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013We have been to The Berkeley Hotel several times in the past and always have enjoyed our meal and experience. However this time (possibly because it was a set menu and Valentines Day) the food was not quite up to par. My fish was overdone and a dry and the salad was nothing special. My husbands beef was OK at best. I feel when a restaurant tries to limit the food choices to a select few for a special night, that they may possibly be preparing much of it in advance which always lessens the freshness and taste. Besides the food issue we did enjoy our dining experience it was the perfect surrounding for a romantic night out. We also stayed at the hotel that evening which made it very nice to simply be able to walk upstairs to our roomSpecial Features:
- While visiting the BerkleyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013While visiting the Berkley Hotel, my girl friend and I took the opportunity to eat at the restaurant on Valentine's Day, as we had heard rave review from friends and family members. Although the menu was limited due to the occasion, the flavors and craftsmanship of the entrees did not disappoint. Each course was cooked to perfection, and the presentation was excellent. I don't know if I will be visiting the establishment anytime soon, however would recommend it to those who can afford a little extra, as the prices are what you would come to expect from a fine dinning restaurant. Per the occasion, there was live music, by a wonderful singer and pianist, who continuously entertained and greeted the dinners throughout the evening. Lovely touchSpecial Features:
- Great for Date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2013Great for special occasions, or if you are just looking for an elegant night out with good food. Very classy decor and a fantastic wine selection. Food is excellent and the service matches. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Excellent food, quiet atmosphere,pleasaneVIPDined on 1/25/2013Excellent food, quiet atmosphere, a bit stuffy at times but good for business discussion or a quiet tete-a-tete.Special Features:
- Was a wonderful evening!Webby2000VIPDined on 1/19/2013Was a wonderful evening! The food and service were great....just top notch! However, the music choice of 70's and 80's rock just did not fit the ambiance of the restaurant. Try some classical music for a more relaxing atmosphere.Special Features:
- Enjoyable meal. Food was excellent.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 1/18/2013Enjoyable meal. Food was excellent. For the market positioning of the hotel and prices would have expected more experienced and attentive service.Special Features:
- we had a nice New Years EveOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2012we had a nice New Years Eve dinner for two. The music was good. The bar small, but really a wait to be seated bar. The service was good, but not outstanding. I felt New Years brought in a little larger crowd and more difficult menu then they we use to. The food was great. Excellent choices. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Though the decor is nice,northgapVIPDined on 12/28/2012Though the decor is nice, the restaurant is just off the hotel lobby. The food was adequate though my steak, which I went to great pains to ask for as pink center, came needing only a good vet to bring it to life. My wife's was more to her liking. Overall, a nice restaurant if you are staying in the hotel but probably not worth going out of your way to visit.
- Went to The Berkley for ChristmasOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/25/2012Went to The Berkley for Christmas Day lunch. The menu was well put together but not well executed. For such a special occasion, with the special price tag to go with it, I expected more. The ham was overcooked, perhaps warmed by a heat lamp? The rest of the food was average at best, with no attempt at attractive plating. The Dining Room itself does not look like the photographs. I found it a bit depressing. Overall quite disappointing.
- Music was very good. FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/24/2012Music was very good. Food was ok, we had better in previous visit.Special Features:
- The Dining Room at the BerkeleyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/15/2012The Dining Room at the Berkeley is an excellent place to share a wonderful dinner in a charming setting. We were greeted with gracious words and the service of our waiter, Will, was quite simply, superlative!!! Thank you for boosting our Christmas spirit!!Special Features:
- The six of us decided we wantedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/13/2012The six of us decided we wanted to go some where special, quiet, w/ ambiance in downtown for a nice Christmas gathering. We were not disappointed . We had a lovely table, service was great ( although just one person working =he was very efficient) . Everyone enjoyed their dinner, food was good, and it was a quiet atmosphere that allowed us to enjoy each other's company. We ordered 3 deserts and were disappointed by two of them. The bread pudding was very good, the grilled pumpkin bread was dry and did not have much flavor, and the creme' brulee was okay. We will come back again.Special Features:
- The waiters were very accomodating.BaileybooVIPDined on 11/26/2012The waiters were very accomodating. The food was excellent as usual.Special Features:
- For several years, my familyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/22/2012For several years, my family had enjoyed Thanksgiving dinner at the Berkeley Hotel. The location was perfect to suit family members coming from Tidewater and from the Shenandoah Valley. The food was always very good, and the service was professional. After moving away from the area for a couple of years, we were very much looking forward to resuming our Berkeley tradition this year. Unfortunately, we were very disappointed with our experience this year. While the lamb chops were perfectly cooked, they were incredibly salty. Dinner rolls were stale. The appetizers and salad were all right. The sausage had a strange, spongy texture and was also unbelievably salty. The scallops were okay, but the portion size was meager.
- We enjoyed our Thanksgivingcorbett03Dined on 11/22/2012We enjoyed our Thanksgiving Day dinner. Quail, Panna Cotta and Italian Cream were great. Salads were pedestrian. Turkey was flavorful, but dry and definitely in need of gravy. Rainbow trout was tasty and cooked perfectly. Wild mushroom bread pudding was also tasty, but it was dry. Overall, it was a nice meal, but we're not planning another visit soon.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the brunch at theAwesomeVIPDined on 11/11/2012Enjoyed the brunch at the Berkeley, about average overall compared to other Sunday brunches we've been to. Food was good and service was attentive and polite. Nice location convenient to downtown hotels.Special Features:
- I very much like this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2012I very much like this restaurant for the ambience. Service of the food felt slow. One of my guests really enjoyed her omelet, and it seemed a good portion (Two of us are Weight Watchers lifetime members) and she said quite tasty. The portion of Shrimp and Grits seems light (at least looking across the table), meaning I think a few more shrimp would have been nice. As for my tuna, yes it was tasty; however, it would have been nice to have a few more veggies with it. The bread rolls were warm and tasty. I still would go back on a special occasion because I love the hotel/restaurant; yet, it is pricey for what I felt we got for lunch.Special Features:
- Butter pleaseHappypopDined on 10/27/2012If you like butter, this is your kind of restaurant. Great service, beautiful hotel and dining room. Its not unique or different, just well prepared food. Lots of places in RVA do what they do.Special Features:
- Enjoyed the service! It wasShaq3641Dined on 10/27/2012Enjoyed the service! It was Jazz night which was perfect. My girlfriends pork loin was a little tough but other than that no complaints.Special Features:
- Food and service was good.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/26/2012Food and service was good. Unfortunately the hostess made us feel we had stayed too long when she came to peer over our shoulders into our coffee cups.Special Features:
- One of the best meals we havekathieDined on 10/23/2012One of the best meals we have had in Richmond. The service was very attentive and fantastic.Special Features:
- It had been a while sinceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2012It had been a while since I had taken a corporate guest to The Berkeley Hotel for lunch and it will be the last. Even though the food had great flavor, there simply was just not enough of it. It was quiet embarrassing actually for a banker from NY to receive the smallest piece of Salmon I have ever seen. In addition my colleague ordered crab cake, which was not fit to serve as an appetizer. The atmosphere was quiet, which was perfect, but now I understand why more people did not dine for lunch. In addition, our banker ate again at the Richmond airport before flying back to NY. Our meals were definitely overpriced!
- Nice experience. Loved theOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/27/2012Nice experience. Loved the special menu for August. Prices were from 1989 although the bar prices were not!Special Features:
- Top NotchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/25/2012My husband and I have lived in Europe and Asia. We've eaten at some of the best restaurants in the world including Hong-Kong and Paris. This is going to sound as an exaggeration, but our experience was top-notch. The menu was a 1989 menu and our waiter has been serving at this restaurant since 1984. He was able to anticipate our every need. Our Sunday brunch was also just wonderful in every way. We decided to eat at the hotel restaurant after reading the reviews on Trip Advisor as we were already staying at the Berkely that night. We're so glad we just stayed there for our dining. So much easier and everything was delicious. We will return again.Special Features:
- Went for Sunday Brunch. OnlyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/19/2012Went for Sunday Brunch. Only 2 waiters were on duty and had to handle the entire restaurant. They did well considering how short-staffed they were. My omelet was very good, and my wife's pancakes were very good as well. Saw a few tables receive slow service, our service was decent though.
- Went here for dinner. TheyOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/17/2012Went here for dinner. They have a special "1989" menu where all of the prices are (supposedly) the same as they were in 1989, when the restaurant/hotel first opened. Had the gazpacho to start - was good, but nothing spectacular. Had the shrimp and grits - again, good, but not spectacular. The table linen had a large stain on it where I sat, so that was fairly off-putting. Overall though, decent meal, service was good.Special Features: