The Dining Room at Shangri-La
1301 Ocean Ave
Santa Monica, CA 90401Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Dining Room at Shangri-La
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.shangrila-hotel.com/eat/
- Phone: 310-394-2791x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am -11:00am;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Saturday - Sunday: 03:00pm - 10:00pm
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Ryan Steed
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: For event information contact Herminia Berrueco
- Private Party Contact: Herminia Berrueco 3104307301x
A word from The Dining Room at Shangri-La
Despite our relative youth, Hotel Shangri-La offers an array of delightful dining options soon to be celebrated among the best Santa Monica restaurants. Serving up tantalizing dishes in family-style spirit, our gourmet restaurant overlooks the courtyard and pool. Savor tasty selections featuring only the freshest ingredients from the nearby Santa Monica Farmer's Market. From sumptuous breakfast to late-night grill favorites, we offer the ideal Santa Monica dining experience for all tastes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Dining Room at Shangri-La reviews from OpenTable diners
9 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelQuiet
scenic view (6)fit for foodies (5)romantic (4)great for lunch (3)neighborhood gem (3)great for brunch (3)good for groups (2)special occasion (2)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- New Chef rocks itOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/9/2014We just had dinner at the Dining Room with the new menu designed by new chef Kareem. A revelation. There isn't a restaurant in Santa Monica that can touch this experience. Everything was superlative and Kareem came out to talk to us near the end, and gave us a free dessert - the most amazing apple tart we have ever had. We have always loved the Dining Room for its location and vibe - and great service, but the food was never like this. Please go and enjoy a fabulous eating experience.Special Features:
- They need helpSoCalBusterVIPDined on 9/5/2014Watered-down drinks, fishy hamachi, cold oysters Rockefeller. The servers were nice enough and did explain that they're dealing with a transition, but I felt ill after three bites of food. The new chef better get in there ASAP. Also, due to their impending changes, the menu on open table isn't even remotely close to what they're currently serving.
- great place to eatjah001Dined on 7/28/2014I love this classic art deco style old l.a. vibe. The menu is small and probably not for everyone, but it is very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 190 reviews are from the The Dining Room at Shangri-La reviews archive.
- Comfortable and deliciousjimmyjakDined on 6/22/2014Nice time in a quiet and comfortable atmosphere. Tee food is very good at Shangri La.
- Save your moneyWasteDined on 6/19/2014Service was great because we were the only once in the dining room at 6:40pm. Menu is expensive, fish portions are small and the steak quality was low for the price they charge. Stay home, this place is not worth itSpecial Features:
- Was very ImpressedMarvalous7Dined on 6/14/2014I felt my experience was very nice, the staff was very consistent on attending to us. The food was good, the drinks were not watered down. I would have like if that had acknowledge my girl-friends birthday, since I did request special sitting for that occasion. But otherwise everything was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WestsideVIPDined on 6/13/2014Dinner menu was not appealing; happy hour was good for getting 1/2 off glass of wine - no good food options. Recommend going for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A HIDDEN GEMLUVGOODFOODDined on 6/8/2014THE FOOD WAS AN ECLECTIC BLEND OF ASIAN/AMERICAN FUSION. TASTY, NICE PRESENTATION AND WONDERFUL FLAVOR. THE SEATING WAS FEW BUT ALL LOOKED OUT TO THE PACIFIC OCEAN. THE WAIT STAFF WERE FRIENDLY AND ACCOMMODATING. BEEN THERE TWICE AND EACH TIME WAS A NICE EXPERIENCE.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice...VC93003VIPDined on 5/18/2014Nice place... Good view of the ocean. Food selection was a bit limited, but overall a nice brunch.
- Mothers DaycutteredgeDined on 5/11/2014We had an enjoyable Mothers day meal with a very good wine selection recommended by our waiter.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/11/2014We went on Mother's Day. Nowhere on the site it said that they had a pre-set menu. When we arrived, the only thing that we could order was a pre-set $75pp brunch menu without drinks. If you go there on a relative date, please check that they are not doing pre-set menus or you will have to pay a huge price for average food.
- Ocean View with Delicious BrunchDejeunerDined on 4/13/2014Removed from swarming tourist hoards that can obscure the ocean view yet near enough to walk easily to the promenade, this was an excellent second choice for Sunday Brunch when our first - The Huntley - was unavailable. An first-rate yet simple brunch menu provided familiar meals with unique but compatible updates: Eggs Benedict with a chiffonade of kale, Shirred Eggs with a sofrito tomato sauce, manchego and green onions. When the side potatoes arrived with bell peppers which I cannot eat, the waiter whisked them away without worry and they were soon replaced with a fresh batch sans peppers - and they were DELICIOUS. My friend indulged in the bottomless mimosas. Service was excellent, friendly without being intrusive. Excellent experience.Special Features:
- Went their for Valentine'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014Went their for Valentine's day. Service and food was fantastic. Main dining room was spacious and comfortable. Piano playing was just right.. not too loud as to drown out the conversation... complementary champagne to go was a very nice touch....Special Features:
- I ate here on a WednesdayBeingBreezieDined on 1/22/2014I ate here on a Wednesday night during Dine LA, and it was empty. I'm not sure why because the food was excellent as was the service. This place is definitely worth trying, especially in combination with the rooftop bar that's only an elevator ride away!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RushedSamSamDined on 12/31/2013The service was determined to get through our meal as soon as possible. They were determined to clear our table although it was clear we had not finished. It got to a point where we had to tell them to stay away. We were then charged a ridiculous 18% ($52) for the pleasure of being hassled all night long. We expected more, very disappointingSpecial Features:
- Santa Monica Christmas DinnerPatty16Dined on 12/25/2013Dining at Shangri La is cozy. We first ventured to the rooftop bar with breathtaking panoramic views. Happy hour was good and the bartenders and servers are attentive and friendly. The dinner menu was a bit limited and extraordinary and our waiter answered all questions. The pork burger a rolled pork chop with quite a bit of fat and spicy sausage. One special the turkey pot pie also too spicy. The grilled chicken salad was a safe bet. One pork entree was sent back and too late to reorder another entree. Given delicious cookies and entree refunded Great location, waiters, rooftop and hope for a new menu.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant with Ocean ViewsOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 12/25/2013My family and I dined here on Christmas Day. The staff was very friendly and the food was very good. We started with expertly made cocktails. The wine list was decent and we enjoyed an eclectic menu. It is a smaller place within the Shangri La hotel. It is worth checking out if you're in Santa Monica. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The staff were very professionalEmbryomanDined on 12/14/2013The staff were very professional and polite, very nice quiet restaurant. This is a place for a very quite evening.Special Features:
- could have easily been betterSaturdayDined on 10/12/2013The food was creative and delicious & well priced. Dining room was right next to the front door of the restaurant & our table was a few steps from that. even though we were right across the street from the ocean, windows were closed & the room became stifling. service started great then became muddled. a weird mix up with one of my friends' credit cards, the parking lot is almost impossible to find, valet told us 7$ w/ validation going in charged $12 coming out sitting in low backed barrel seats really uncomfortable tiring. The experience could have been better with a few adjustments that considered the comfort of the guests. disappointed There are a lot of places in LA and especially Santa Monica that have great food AND comfort .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible serviceJohannaSVIPDined on 9/28/2013I was told by the hostess to wait at the bar for my table and it would be a 10 min wait I waited for almost 45 min without anyone telling me what was going on. I asked the hostess and she said that they had a wedding reception and were delayed. I felt ignored and disrespected. I told her if the restaurant knew that was the case they should have either contact me ahead of time or informed me of the situation as soon as I arrived instead of having me wait for 45 min! Even 45 min later they still didn't have a table and didn't know when they would have one. They said I could eat at the bar to which I declined. I was expecting to have a nice date dinner with my my boyfriend that night not just sit at a bar. I walked out and dined elsewhere.
- Too much $ for Too littleKevRobDined on 9/14/2013Way too much $ for the small portions paid $86 for a party of 2. Appetizer was caviche it came as 3 little tacos the size of a hot wheels cars, I orders the fish & chips they brought to the table 3 little fish sticks with a special sauce, my GF ordered sea bass and the fish was the size of a cell phone placed on some spinach the drinks were $28 for the 2 we ordered. One of the waiters seemed annoyed when we made our only request more sauce and that price was with a 25 dollar coupon had to go to another restaurant to actually fill like I ate if you save your appetite for a good meal don’t go the Dining Room this place was pretty empty and I can see why. I would only recommend this place if I didn’t like the person.Special Features:
- very enjoyable!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2013We had an excellent time! The food was delicious and the view from our table was beautiful. We appreciate all the detail and attention.Special Features:
- breakfast was great, lovedpeewerDined on 9/2/2013breakfast was great, loved portion size. the food was fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dessertfudluverDined on 7/26/2013When we got there they did not have the dine LA menu and had to wait. The food took a long time before we were served. The taste of the food was okay and they did come several times to serve water but overall disappointed. The dessert however was really good. The sticky toffee breead/cake was heart shaped and was the highlight of the experience. The cookies are pretty good too only thing better would have been some cocunut milk to go with cookies. My sister has been to this spot before and she has enjoyed it. Perhaps it was an off day.Special Features:
- Only a BarSherylVIPDined on 6/23/2013This is not a dining room but a few tables in a bar with all the noise that implies. The service was very attentive and professional so I'm sad to say that the experience itself is diminished because you can't talk to your companions. Go if you want to drink only.
- Enjoyable butOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 6/22/2013While the waiter was great there was a lot of confusion from other staff i.e. the host took a long time to come and seat us, the server brought very spicy ketchup for a kids meal, there was confusion about the bill at the end, and they did not inform OpenTable.com that I had fulfilled my obligation by turning up for the reservation. Apart from the above the food was very good so I would still recommend the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winning me back!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/6/2013I had a bad experience at the Shangri La about a year ago and was hesitant to go back. It was the view and those lovely swivel chairs that finally convinced me to try again. Plus, I had been a regular for a while before the "bad" dinner...great flatbreads and sliders...so, back I went, for lunch on my birthday. I told the manager about my dining history at Shangri La and he said they intended to win me back. And, they did! They started right out by bringing a complimentary fruit plate to the table. Then, my smoked chicken salad was lovely, and my friend's Club sandwich wrap made her very happy - so, I am back on board. Next, I'll go back for cocktail hour. I hope they still have the sliders....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had Mother's day dinner there,OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/12/2013Had Mother's day dinner there, with the view of the ocean. The food was very tasty and we passed our compliments to the chief. Mushroom flatbread is delicious and rather filling as a course, for the dessert - sticky toffi cake, - one portion is enough to chare for 4, and it's so good!!! Service a bit erratic ( they charged the champaine bottle at the next table to our bill, but quickly fixed the mistake, of course), but firendly. It is a Shangri La hotel diner / bar. The place is small, more fit for a bar than a dining restaurant. Overall impression is positive. Will most likely come there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AfwulRickDined on 5/12/2013Not impressed!! Went to Mother,s Day brunch. $75.00 per person. Buffet was just ordinary...not a good selection. We had lunch at 1:30 pm, and it looked very picked over. We should have left...we are sorry we didn't, So very disappointed!!
- Very DisappointedJoeCDined on 5/12/2013We went to Mothers' Day brunch here last weekend, and were extremely disappointed. The food choices were quite limited, the omelet station staffed by someone who couldn't actually make an omelet, and the food itself was average to below average, at best. The Shangri-La itself appears run-down and poorly kept. If I went here on a non-special occasion, I would have probably given it two stars, but the combination of the below average food and choices combined with the overpriced holiday brunch prices make this an obvious one star rating for me. The view overlooking Santa Monica Beach and Ocean Avenue is nice, I will grant that.Special Features:
- mothers day brunch fiascoScooterpieDined on 5/12/2013Outrageously priced with horrible service. For $75 a head the food was only mediocre with everything an additional expense. For $75 I would at least expect that coffee would be included in the price and then it was served in styrofoam cups! The service was non-existent with dirty plates being piled up on top of each other, never being cleared until a manager had to be called who then cleared them himself. Would never recommend anyone go to this place again and will never even think of going back.
- go there becaus we can hearstupidquestionDined on 5/11/2013go there becaus we can hear a conversation when dining. Will no longer go to noisy restaurants. Menu limited and food a wee bit too spicy.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saucy!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/18/2013Sauces! The food was well prepared, but the major highlight were the paired sauces albeit the spicy ketchup or steak sauce. They really added a flavorful kick. Best to go around sunset for the best view around!Special Features:
- Fabulous birthday experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/15/2013My wife and I celebrated her birthday at The Dining Room a couple of nights ago. It was our first visit to the Dining Room, and we were completely taken by the location, service and food. The staff was attentive and the food was great - we loved everything we ate, but special note should be made of the triple cream brie and the corn truffle ravioli, both of which were brilliant creations. We have already recommended this restaurant to our friends and family and cannot wait to return ourselves. I should note that while we found the room very quiet and inviting, we were there on a Monday evening. Our reservation began at 7 and there was not another diner in the room until 8:30, so our experience may not be yours.Special Features:
- This was the second time weLauraLVIPDined on 3/31/2013This was the second time we had tried the Shangri-La. Unfortunately, they seated a large, boisterous (drinking) party in the center of the room and our table was near them. They were laughing so loud (continuously) that our waiter literally couldn't hear us speaking to order our food and when they were all laughing, we had to stop talking unless we wanted to yell (not exaggerating). If that wasn't bad enough, they cooked my steak rare instead of medium....TWICE!! It was a truly horrible lunch - never again.
- We were visiting gramma andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/16/2013We were visiting gramma and were looking for a quiet place with an ocean view. Gramma wasn't enthusiastic about her lobster Louie salad but loved the place and said she was certain to return with friends & guests in the future.
- Unlimited drinks! They didn'tSeasonedinerVIPDined on 3/9/2013Unlimited drinks! They didn't even let your drink get to the bottom before getting you a new one! Love the service and attention to detail regarding my alcoholic beverages. However, after so many bloody marys I don't recall whether I enjoyed the food, nor the quality or taste of it. Definitely check this place out for brunch and drinks.Special Features:
- The Dining Room - A-OKOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/17/2013I had a Travel Zoo deal for brunch and bottomless mimosas. They did keep the mimosas flowing and the waiter checked in on us from time to time, but at some point they stopped refilling our water. I only had a kale salad and fruit, but it was a good portion. My friends had other brunch items and they seemed to enjoy themselves. When the bill came, I already knew they were going to charge us tax based on the "actual" value of the meal + 18% gratuity. I wish they explained what we ordered that was NOT on the "deal" menu, as we had to pay a bit extra over the expected amount (couldn't have been the mimosas!). No one seemed to know if there were any restrictions. Pretty view of ocean and dining room is lovely. Good for the deal price.Special Features:
- A friend of ours recommendedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/9/2013A friend of ours recommended this restaurant as we had friends from out of town and we needed a special place where we could sit down and talk. We arrived at 5:00 and started off at the bar on the rooftop. We were enjoying ourselves so much that I pushed back our reservation and the restaurant was very receptive to this request. The waiter was attentive to our needs. If you choose to start off with small plates to share, make sure you only order those first and then order your food once they arrive at the table. We felt a little rushed when our salads came out right have the small plates were served. Aside from that, the food itself was very good and I would recommend this restaurant to friends.Special Features:
- The food was quite good andChiliCheeseFriesDined on 1/27/2013The food was quite good and the service was attentive but not intrusive. The best part of the meal was dessert, though we each could have been quite fine with desserts half the size of what we got. The brownie is rich, moist, decadent, and HUGE. It's big enough for three people to share, easy. The sticky toffee pudding is fantastic, there's a nice crunch to the caramel topping. It was also large enough to share. Good food but not spectacular, but it's a tough area to beat, when you consider Rustic Canyon and Melisse are spitting distance.