The Dickens Pub
423 Elizabeth Street
Burlington, ON L7R 2L8Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: CAN$30 and under
The Dickens Pub
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thedickens.ca/
- Phone: 9053334991
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 4:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Rick Ife
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Weekend Brunch
- Entertainment: Live Entertainment Wednesday to Sunday
A word from The Dickens Pub
Downtown Burlington's best known pub for great food and beverage, live entertainment and summer patio. Serving Burlingtonians for 20 years a stop at The Dickens is a must during any visit to Downtown Burlington.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Dickens Pub reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (4)neighborhood gem (4)good for groups (2)great for outdoor dining (2)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Great Service & Good FoodVeraDined on 7/20/2014Came here to catch up with a friend. Waitress was very attentive. Brunch was good. Big servings.Special Features:
- Did not have our reservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/23/2014when we arrived, they did not have our reservation. they did accommodate us but they said they did not have the reservation and that that happened alot with this service...not so good. Tables are uncomfortable...too high and not very good for groups. we were 6. Good menu and food was goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 37 reviews are from the The Dickens Pub reviews archive.
- This was our first visit toluvpatiodiningDined on 8/31/2013This was our first visit to The Dickens in Burlington. It was rib fest weekend and the Lakeshore Rd. area was bustling with people. The Dickens was quiet because most people were attending the rib fest. We sat on the patio, where only 5 tables were being occupied. It was a nice warm evening - the pub food was very good and our waitress was attentive and sociable. She told us that on a normal Sat. evening, the patio is jam-packed with people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food & reasonablemitziDined on 8/24/2013Very good food & reasonable cost. Prime Rib special is always excellent. Inside decor is really like a pub.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinner eveninglastbatsmanDined on 6/6/2013we have eaten at Dickens several times and have enjoyed the food. The first time we ate in the bar area and we were a little cramped sitting next to a couple who should have got a room at the Waterfront Hotel. The fish and chips were great and so was the service. Last time was with a reservation in the dining area with only a couple tables occupied. The waitress was inattentive and we waited over twenty five minutes to be served our food. It took another twenty minutes to find her to get our check ! However the food and drinks were great.Special Features:
- UnexpectedMothersDayDinerDined on 5/12/2013We chose The Dickens for Mothers Day because they had a great deal on, and we like going in for a casual drink. We enjoyed our food, but I was confused by some seating choices made by the management. We were seated in the upper pub area, rather than down in the more restaurant style area, though I had specified that we had small children and an infant with us. Toddlers can not sit atop backless barstools and no infant should be balanced on one. We were not the only family with this issue as another family seated shortly after us was shown to a pub table with their 2 infants & no bench. If you have small kids or infants, keep this in mind: you may be holding your child throughout your meal or he or she will be way below you on the floor.Special Features:
- Great comfort food, servingsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/31/2013Great comfort food, servings extremly large. Prices for the dinner is fantastic.Service is good.Special Features:
- Most of the food was veryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/29/2013Most of the food was very good quality but my friend who was visiting for the first time was very disappointed with his hamburger. It was very dry and was completely burned black on the bottom. This was pointed out to the waitress but she took no action at all not even saying she was sorry.Special Features:
- Awful Pub service!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2012We had a group of 6 to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday. We had dinner and, as you normally do in a pub, everyone had drinks. I'm 8 months pregnant so obviously was not drinking and was driving everyone home. We were minding our own busniness, not loud, roudy or causing any kind of disturbance when the waitress decided to cut my husband off of drinks. He ordered Jack/Coke (IN A TALL GLASS), which is what he normally does so the drink lasts longer. Later we find out that the waitress charged him for 11 drinks when he only had 5 or 6. Then she told us that we were being charged for double's (which we DID NOT ask for). Needless to say, the waitress, who is under age, and appeared very confused, charged us for something we didn't receive!
- Great place to enjoy a lazyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2012Great place to enjoy a lazy breakfast on the patio on an warm summer weekend. Portions were generous, food was good quality and service was efficient and friendly.Special Features:
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2012Table of 4, reserved for 6:30pm. We highly rec. that you reserve as this place is a hot spot! 3 of us ordered pub pies (medley, curry chicken and chicken pot) FANTASTIC and all homemade. I'm a personal chef and these were amazing. Our 4th ordered curry chicken wrap and said it was delicious and fresh. The band started at 7pm and were remarkably. Our server was very informative and attentive to all of us. It was all of our first time going here but it certainly won't be our last. We drove 2 hrs just to come here for dinner!Special Features:
- Our group of 4 had never visitedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/28/2012Our group of 4 had never visited this restaurant but like the Pub Scene. We totally enjoyed our meals and drinks and the ambiance of the Pub. We would defenitely visit here again if we were in the area.Special Features:
- Food was fantastic as wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/22/2012Food was fantastic as was service. You get a lot of food for great price.Special Features:
- Pre-theatre meetOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/21/2012Had a very enjoyable time - the food was great but had obviously sat and waited before it came to us - it wasn't very hot. Service was great as was the atmosphere. Great value for money with the special offers that were on food and drinkwise. Will definately return.Special Features:
- Standard StuffOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/9/2012The restaurant was very noisy in the lower dining area when we arrived due to a lot of noisy kids. Waitress was slow in bringing the drinks and they were out of Tetley's (in a British Pub ????). I believe there was only one "British" beer on tap which is kind of surprising, and they were out of it. Overall we were pleased with our entrees and the appetizer. I would class this as a normal pub - nothing special about it, although we will definately come back another time. I liked having the ability to book a reservation on-line.Special Features:
- Great pub food, great serviceJandJDined on 1/13/2012Great pub food. We went on a busy Friday evening for food and drinks so we booked a table ahead of time, but people were still coming in after us and had no problem getting a table as far as I could see. Food was delivered in good time and our glass was never empty. Great service and lively atmosphere. All was good until I had to use the washroom. The washrooms really need to be renovated (they were clean though). You may want to note that they are also at the top of very steep stairs - not good for anyone with mobility issues.Special Features:
- Server's Bad AttitudeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/25/2011We were there to celebrate my husband's Birthday. 3 out of 4 of our party do not drink alcohol. When I asked the server if you had alcohol free beer (as most establishments offer), I was given a wide-eyed smirk and told sarcastically "Ah, noooooooo.... this is a pub." I wanted to leave then, but the rest of the party wanted to stay because of time and parking. The fries were good.
- It has the "pub" atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/19/2011It has the "pub" atmosphere which was a little noisy for us however the Prime Rib dinner was absolutely fabulous. When the waitress told us it just came out the oven we all changed our choices and were so glad we did. Best prime rib and yorkshire pudding!Special Features:
- Food (breakfast)was stoneOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/30/2011Food (breakfast)was stone cold, toast had no butter and none provided. Waitress was nice.
- We haven't been to the DickensOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/19/2011We haven't been to the Dickens for brunch in years but made a special trip for Father's Day. They must be under new management as we were VERY disappointed in the Eggs Benedict. We won't be returning.
- We all had stuffed YorkshireOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/4/2011We all had stuffed Yorkshire Pudding and all agreed it was great. Two had the chocolate explosion in a glass and it was amazing - satisfied my chocolate craving for almost two days. Two had the cheesecske that was light and full of flavour. The wait staff were fun and on the ball. All in all we had a great time and will return.Special Features:
- Had great food (nachos andAudiogirlDined on 4/2/2011Had great food (nachos and munchie-type foods), while watching the NCAA March Madness Tournament. The whole night was great and service was good (reduced price for mini-jugs while we were there). The only issue I had was that a band was scheduled to play and started setting up in front of the large screen the game was being played on...so we had to cut our outing short by heading over to another bar to finish watching the game!...Special Features:
- Give your review a title (optional)OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/12/2011This website allowed me to book a reservation during a time when the bar does not take reservations. Opentable needs to get their times straight. The Dickens does not book reservations for Saturday nights past 8pm. They had no record of our reservation.Special Features:
- Love the DickensOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2011We love the Dickens, Stuffed Yorkshire Puddings are amazing and its a great spot to go in Downtown Burlington.Special Features:
- Typical pub. Food was neitherOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/30/2010Typical pub. Food was neither great nor awful. If you're hungry you will definitely find something to fill you up. Cosy atmosphere on a cool evening. Lots of different age groups which was nice.Special Features:
- Overall good experience forOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/30/2010Overall good experience for the firt time visit (lunchtime)....will be back in the evening to check it out. ThanksSpecial Features:
- We ordered the burger specialOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/5/2010We ordered the burger special and they were terrifice. A friend ordered the natcho and she loved them. overall we would definitely go again as the food and price was terrifice.Special Features:
- Great Food! The fish was lightlyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/10/2010Great Food! The fish was lightly battered. Although service was a little slow the food and atmosphere were great.Special Features:
- Nice place to get away fromOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 7/6/2010Nice place to get away from the heat! Great beers on tap - lots of choice from the menu for our group of 4. The mac and cheese was a hit. The servers were knowledgeable and friendly.Special Features:
- Food was quick and delicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/7/2010Food was quick and delicious. Service was excellent and very attentive. Good atmosphere.
- The food and service was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/24/2010The food and service was great! Wonderful value too! We sat upstairs so we could talk although you could tell that it was a neighborhood favourite! Definitely recommend.Special Features:
- This was my first and muchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/11/2010This was my first and much anticipated visit to this restaraunt. After seating ourselves as there were no 'greeters' we sat for approx. 10 min. When the waitress approached us it was to inform us that the kitchen was down due to plumbing issues and would probably be down for at least another hour or more. I feel that I could have been notified by e-mail that this was an issue prior to leaving the house paying for parking etc. Had to settle for fast food as too late for anything else. I think that this experience has soured my wanting to visit this restaraunt in the future.
- fantastic food and great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/27/2010fantastic food and great service. we will definitely go again.Special Features:
- My friend and I decided toOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2009My friend and I decided to spend New Years eve at the Dickens Pub. The food was good as was the service. There was a band playing which was great. They provided party hats and a little glass of champagne to celebrate with. Unfortunately we were sitting near the door to the "smoking patio". The cold air blasting in every 2 minutes made it very uncomfortable. We had to keep our coats on all night.
- good basic pub food, niceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/22/2009good basic pub food, nice atmosphere, good attentive service. Reasonable pricing.Special Features:
- Went for breakfast. The serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/20/2009Went for breakfast. The service was excellent. The waitress was outstanding. The food was quick and delicious. The only draw back was that the temperature inside was a little cold and the fire place was not being used.
- Service was prompt and friendly.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/2/2009Service was prompt and friendly. Everything was in order. I will go again in the future.
- Enjoyable. Nice atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/28/2009Enjoyable. Nice atmosphere. Very responsive to request to finish early that was in the Open Table note.Special Features:
- We arrived early and withRHRailfanVIPDined on 11/14/2009We arrived early and with loads of room, we could choose where to sit. Service was OK, but nothing special. Waitress forgot about extra gravy and took a long time. I had called several days earlier to ask if they had a kids menu and was assured that they did. However, upon arrival they said they had run out and the server told us what the choices were but didn't tell us what accompanied them. We got a milk, but have no idea if we missed out on kid's dessert; - I can only assume not. I probably wouldn't bother going back unless we got the 1000 pts bonus again.Special Features: