1874 E. Apache Rd.
Tempe, AZ 85281Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.the-dhaba.com/
- Phone: 4805578800
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 3:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Wine
A word from The Dhaba
The embodiment of food in the spirit of the nation is an integral part of its identity. Our Dhaba is the embodiment of Punjabi food and Punjab – a state that has been the envy of the nation (India). In India and Pakistan, highways are dotted with local restaurants popularly known as ‘Dhabas’, providing local cuisine and serving as stops for truck drivers. Dhabas are traditionally characterized by casual seating on cots (called chaarpai in Hindi) and food prepared in clay ovens (tandoor). Over time Dhabas have come to define a culture, centered on food. Real Punjabi has been influenced by the diverse culinary cultures of Persia, Afghanistan and Central Asia. Punjab provided a conduit to caravans from Bukhara, Kabul & Kashmir. The wonderful frontier foods intertwined with the rich stream of Hindu, Sikh, Pathan, Muslim and Kashmiri migrants enriched the Punjabi cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Dhaba reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (31)neighborhood gem (28)special occasion (14)good for groups (13)romantic (12)great for lunch (12)notable wine list (4)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- Dhaba DeliciousruthinazDined on 8/16/2014I find it difficult to locate tasty Indian food in the Phoenix area and was thrilled to find it last year after seeing a social media post by a friend. Since then, the Dhaba has become my go-to spot for Indian Cuisine. While the exterior location offers little in the way of appeal, the interior is decorated nicely, the wait staff are incredibly sweet and the food is consistently on point. I would encourage making reservations if dining after 6:30, since it's a small dining area. A great spot if you are group who enjoy sharing plates for more options or just a wonderful spot for two. I'd order a variety of items to share, then expect to take home a few leftovers (two lovely meals for the price of one). Order the chai.Special Features:
- Dhaba Always DeliversFoodieDined on 8/10/2014If you like Indian food than this is the place to go in the valley. Family operated the food is always good! I't not a large restaurant so I would recommend reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love this placeps71Dined on 8/3/2014The food here is fresh and authentic. The service is always top notch. Friendly staff and prompt courteous attention.Special Features:
- Indian Food at its BestAkddeepdiverVIPDined on 8/2/2014We've been here a few times with Groupons and now Living Social coupons. We normally come for dinner with an Open Table reservation. We've always been seating on time, served water and the yummy Papadum and Chutney. We did take note that they have expanded their beer and wine list which we were very pleased about along with the selections. Service has always been at its best, greeted and checked by the owners. The only con about Dhaba is the location and parking. Not in the best of best neighborhood at night and parking is extremely limited in the front so you are forced to park in the back, and at night it is a bit seedy. Dhaba is well worth it to get your fix of good Indian food with a nice atmosphere and good service.Special Features:
- BreezyDined on 7/23/2014I would have to agree with Yelp reviews. It is a little pricey for the food quality/portion size. The hostess is civil and polite, but, not welcoming or friendly. The food is good, the service is good. A solid 3.Special Features:
- Perfect for Pre-Gamage theaterDmanDined on 7/22/2014Probably the best Indian food we've had! The hostess/server was a delight, very welcoming & so helpful with our menu selections. She was careful to find out what we like and how adventuresome we wanted to be (also how hot we liked our food which was important when we ordered the lamb vindaloo as the heat in that can only be turned up, not down.) We also had chicken tika masala which was perfectly seasoned. Their special nan with pecans and other nuts was yummy. The restaurant is in an small Indian shopping center and the grocery next door was fun to check out. The restaurant was nicely decorated with artistic touches. It's about 10 minutes from ASU Gamage theater on the same street so it was extremely convenient for a pre-theater dinner.Special Features:
- The Dhaba! great finding!CYB3RC4TDined on 7/19/2014Slightly tricky to get to due to the one way Main St restricted turns, but well worth the trip! Food was fantastic, just the perfect combination of presentation, ambiance and spices, all wrapped in a small intimate atmosphere perfect for a romantic dinner or a small gathering. Recommended 100% will go back again, and again...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dhaba Rocks!RobinVIPDined on 7/17/2014My husband and I absolutely LOVE The Dhaba. We feel like family when we walk in the door. The service is outstanding - you are greeted warmly, served fashionably, and treated with kindness. The food is absolutely amazing - we have tried all from appetizers to dessert (not too many desserts because we are always FULL). Our favorites are the lamb korma, gosht biriyani, and all naan bread especially the Peshwari. If you are looking for authentic Indian food - this is the place to go! Our next experience will be to try the cooking classes!Special Features:
- one of my new favoritesEileenDined on 7/6/2014Great food, nice people very clean. This is one of my new favorites.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummmmOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/3/2014Great food! You'll love it! Use the app to set the reservationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YvonneDined on 6/1/2014Claire and staff are always helpful and attentive! I have organized numerous get-togethers with friends there and we always leave happy!Special Features:
- Great food, awesome serviceKookiekikaDined on 5/31/2014We went with a toddler (yikes) but the delicious naan kept her entertained while we enjoyed awesome food! The service was great as well. Definitely will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first experienceAAflyguyDined on 5/27/2014I found Dhaba on Open Table and gave it a try for lunch. When I arrived there was a table ready for me and the service was prompt and curteous. The food was fantastic. I would highly recommend this resturant to anyone. I will be back.Special Features:
- a surprising findMarcDined on 5/25/2014We actually ate here during Restaurant Week, but ended up ordering off of the normal menu because so many of the entrees looked wonderful. Luckily, we were not disappointed. We ordered the murgh vindaloo and the mango chicken curries, with kashmiri naan. Service was impeccable...the staff was friendly, attentive, and not at all intrusive. My only complaint was that our waitress said that the mango chicken could be prepared with white meat; however, we were served dark meat. It's hard to be upset, however, given how full-flavored the curry was. Everything was served steaming hot, and I found myself savoring every bite of our dinner. I am a professional chef, and a critical customer, but left the meal utterly satiated.Special Features:
- DinnerSalutDined on 5/21/2014The food was top notch. The service unrivaled. From The time we were seated until the time we left we never waited for anything nor did we have to ask for anything. The food was very flavorful and was prepared to order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but felt rushedQmcstzDined on 5/21/2014Went here for Arizona Restaurant week for the delicious sounding preset menu. All of the food was great, there's no way we could've gone wrong ordering. The issue was the servers made us feel rushed and unwelcome, by bringing out the entrees before we finished our appetizer, brought boxes before we were finished eating our entrees, and rushed us with the check. I would go back for the food, but not with high expectations for service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousTerryDined on 5/17/2014Been a faithful customer for years. Love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you like Indian food----foodfanDined on 5/17/2014you will love Dhaba. This is the best Indian food I have ever had ! Since moving here from L.A. 12 years ago I have tried many Indian food restuarants in the Phoenix area and Dhaba is the only one I go to now. The menu has something for everyone rather it's for gluten free, vegatarian or someone who wants to control the spiciness of their meal. The menu is quite extensive and everything I have tried is wonderful,Tandooris, dals ,curries and rice dishes are all so flavorful.The potions are generous and the service is always excellent.Special Features:
- Give it a try...DoggieComboverDined on 5/13/2014Would recommend this restaurant to anyone who loves Indian food, some of the best I've found in the PHX metro area. There are some nice touches with a complimentary papadum appetizer with excellent sauces, genuine plates and glasses and a good beer list, both Indian and local. It's a quiet, small space and quite busy, so plan accordingly, even on a generally slow restaurant night (Tuesday) there were people waiting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food!OmNomNomDined on 5/3/2014We've been going to The Dhaba for years and the food is amazing. I definitely recommend the chicken tikka masala and Samosa Chaat. They can make the food as spicy or mild as you like. The naan is fresh and the saffron rice is superb. Everything is fresh. It's my favorite Indian restaurant in the valley.Special Features:
- awesome!LaurenDined on 5/3/2014Love the food here! I think it is my favorite Indian restaurant in phoenix!!Special Features:
- The following 177 reviews are from the The Dhaba reviews archive.
- Terrific FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/15/2014Our meal was fantastic and the service spot on. The palak paneer was some of the best we've ever had. We loved the onion naan. Absolutely delicious!! We will also order the Ras Malai again. Thanks for a great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT Indian food in Tempe!rbeatingtonVIPDined on 3/31/2014This is some of the best Indian food I've eaten anywhere. We were staying nearby, and we found Dhaba on OpenTable. I wish I lived locally so I could come here weekly. If you like Indian food, you won't be disappointed.Special Features:
- Always deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/19/2014It's a pleasure to dine at The Dhaba; the food is consistently delicious, the family run establishment is welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the waitOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2014I made a reservation according to the website. I arrived and waited an additional 15 minutes for the table, then an addition 10-15 minutes before she even took my order. Food was average and not worth a repeat visit in my humble opinion. I'll be headed to curry corner next, my best friends kid here Tempe recommended it highly. Next curry craving I get I'm headed there instead.
- Consistently good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/1/2014Great to take out of town guests from areas where they don't have many restaurants that are not chains. Dhaba food is always good. Service was a little slow this night. We had reservations and were seated immediately after entering the restaurant (5:40 on a Saturday night coming straight from the airport). But we waited quite a while before our order was taken and after being served we did not have anyone come back to check on us until we were finished.Special Features:
- WowStitchDined on 2/14/2014I made the reservation through open table and in the comments section I noted my guest had an allergy. When we were seated they made recommendations on foods accordingly. Food was fantastic and rich in flavor. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Indian FoodLoves2eatDined on 2/14/2014We eat quite a bit of Indian food this was very good, we did not care for the chicken wings appetizer it was not done enough for us. The shrimp korma was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Large menu and good foodKippDined on 2/13/2014Indian food in the punjabi style with a large menu and street treats which are authentic and not always served at Indian restaurants the US, so if you like to try new dishes, this is a great restaurant to visit. Casual atmosphere. Good dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian Food In TownIvanDined on 1/20/2014I have been to quite a few Indian joints in town and this is by far the best. Dishes are very tasty and staff is friendly. They even have a cooking school.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian FoodchungwipffDined on 1/12/2014We are from San Francisco and now live in Mesa. This place is one of the best places we've eaten in Arizona. Truly quality food and the servers were very kind and attentive.Special Features:
- We have been to The DhabapmdreamerDined on 1/11/2014We have been to The Dhaba many times and love their food and the ambience of the restaurant. The owners and staff are very helpful and attentive. We love going here.Special Features:
- Indian food at it's best.LucyDined on 1/1/2014Authentic Indian food, served with family atmosphere. Good anytime. Unpretentious store front, but delicious food, which is more important to this Indian food lover.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Love the DhabaFoodieDined on 12/23/2013The Dhaba is a small neighborhood gem. It is our favorite place to go for Indian food, PERIOD!Special Features:
- Love the blends of spicesmandaDined on 12/23/2013The spices of India are blended and cooked perfectly. The owners go out of their way to make you feel welcome and comfortable. They have won a few more awards recently, which seems very warranted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We really enjoyed the food and theLanceDined on 12/18/2013Great time we had with friends. A real family run restAurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice and tasty restaurantsHarryDined on 12/15/2013Me and my spouse found this restaurant by accident. Neverthless it was the best find in Phoenix so far. I am already a fan of Dhaba in India. This one was real surprise to me and taste of food was really outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic, delicious food!LACDDined on 12/15/2013Food is amazing, flavorful and authentic! Great service, nice ambience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentFosco75Dined on 12/8/2013Mr. Flintstone said it best: "Yabba Dhaba Dooo!" The food is really outstanding and it's location near the Phoenix Park N Ride station makes this a real winner on many levels. We had tikka masala that was really the best that any of our party of four could remember and the curry was delicious. Reasonable prices, good parking, outstanding food, and happy servers made this a wonderful experience. We'll definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- localfoodielocalfoodieDined on 12/5/2013I was impressed with the vegetarian selection. The sauces were super flavorful and the amount of spiciness was right on when we asked for a 7 out of 10.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.