9000 E. Chaparral Rd.
Scottsdale, AZ 85256Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Desert Oasis / The Artichoke Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://scottsdalecc.edu/culinary
- Phone: 4804236284x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 1:00pm; Dinner: Wednesday - Friday: 6:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Dominic O'Neill
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Our restaurants are able to accommodate private parties from 40 to 80 and reservations may be made by calling 480-423-6284.
- Private Party Contact: Marilyn Hawkes 4804236284x
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: The college is located on the northeast corner of Chaparral Road and the 101 freeway. Parking is found by taking the 4th entrance into the college, taking an immediate right onto the loop road into parking lot H. Our building is Applied Science, located on the west side of that lot and entrance to the dining rooms is from the north.
The Artichoke Grill is open for lunch Tuesday through Friday, serving fabulous a la carte meals that include soups, salads, sandwiches, grill items and desserts.
The Desert Oasis dining room provides our guests outstanding five course dinners, Wednesday through Friday. Menus change weekly and can be viewed on our web site, www.scottsdalecc.edu/culinary
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelQuiet
- First visit/not the lastLucyDined on 10/16/2014Hard to believe the crew…cooks, servers, etc. are students. Everything was visually appealing and delicious. Have already made a second reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- top linedon023Dined on 10/16/2014restaurant equal to high class restaurants. all the students were people friendly and the food was of high quality and was prepared by the students. Each item on the menu was excellent and the taste was great on a one to ten basis with 10 being the highest I would give it a ten.Special Features:
- Mixed Emotionsuacatz14Dined on 10/16/2014As first timers to this facility the four of us had varying opinions. Not necessarily bad just different. The potato leek was fine but the tortilla was not a hit. The salads were fine and the entrees were the hit of the night. The desserts ended the evening as it began. With that said you must remember that this people are beginning their careers and will improve with time. We are committed to try again with a different menu choose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very enjoyablefoodislifeDined on 10/8/2014fresh and interesting menu, tasty perfect portions, fabulous serviceSpecial Features:
- Farm Lands of ScottsdalePEORIADined on 10/3/2014The Restaurant was very cold inside, Ambiance was out dated. We had reservation for 5 on Thursday night, received a call on Tuesday that our reservation had to be cancelled, they were having a meeting. I had made this reservations 10 days ahead. We were rescheduled for Friday, and would be discounted, when presented with the bill, had to ask for the discount. The food was not worth the drive to the farm. Each one of the entree's had something wrong with them 1.salty-2.tough-3. had to spit out. Dessert not warm, coffee was not hot. The lady in the front end was not friendly. Large restaurant, 7 tables had guest. Would I go back, NO. Would I go back, NO. w
- Always a treatDesertdessertloverDined on 9/25/2014We've been coming to SCC for more than 10 years. This menu is the best yet--our party of 3 managed to try each appetizer, soup and salad-all excellent. The tenderloin was fork tender. And as anticipated, they saved the best for dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I Enjoyed My VisiteginazDined on 9/19/2014Beautiful restaurant - attractive, clean, pleasant wait staff - and delicious dessert & coffee. I will bring my Mom!Special Features:
- Culinary Art at its very bestFoodEnthused1Dined on 9/18/2014Recently we had occasion for a special celebration and we promptly elected to reserve for dinner at the Scottsdale Community College's Culinary Arts Desert Oasis. The five course meal was delectable and delightful in every way. The offerings are elegantly prepared and sumptuous to enjoy. We would highly recommend this venue to anyone who prizes culinary art at its very best. If you do, you are in for a real treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2014very good enjoyed it - should not have to write 50 words in a reviewSpecial Features:
- 5 Stars but affordableFoodhoundDined on 9/5/2014Gourmet dining on a budget. 5 course meal with some creative and some standard dishes at dinner in a quiet dining room with good service. Students try hard and it shows and tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 178 reviews are from the The Desert Oasis / The Artichoke Grill reviews archive.
- Outstanding!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/2/2014Superb food, great customer service. Entire facility run by students in the culinary program at Scottsdale Community College. Every meal I have had there has been exceptional and you can't beat the price.Special Features:
- BuffetJonnybegoodeDined on 5/2/2014The food was NOT served at the proper temperature. It was warm instead of hot.Special Features:
- Annual Group OutingsandbDined on 4/30/2014For the past several years our ladies' group has dined as a special treat at The Desert Oasis at Scottsdale Community College. Our latest dining experience was one of the best in years. We had a wonderful friendly student server. The presentation of the food was marvelous. The food was excellent. Where else could you get buffalo steak and stuffed quail at such a reasonable price?!Special Features:
- Culinary Arts In Casual AtmosphereFranDined on 4/18/2014We go to The Desert Oasis restaurant, part of the culinary art school at Scottsdale Community College, once a year with the same group of friends. The dinner price includes a 5 course dinner, with choice of 4 entrees. The menu items are more "upscale" than our usual restaurants, so we get to try new dishes in a casual atmosphere. You get to "grade" the food and servers, which makes it even more fun. Also, the deserts are the best! It typically take 1.5 hrs for dinner, so make sure you have the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to do business lunchBoninsunDined on 4/18/2014Students are learning, but they do a fabulous job! Lunch was incredible. Atmosphere was quiet, so we could talk without shooting. Very enjoyable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as always!KristenDined on 4/10/2014We are never disappointed with the food or the service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for the price and then somedine4funVIPDined on 3/26/2014We have been there several times and have always enjoyed the food and the service is good too. The only shortcoming is some of my friends find the soup is never hot enough. We even returned it once and it still was not that hot. Personally it was okay for me. Yet the food presentation and quality is wonderful and we will return next seasonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great finddiningonadimeDined on 3/6/2014The Artichoke Grill offers excellent gourmet choices for those on a budget. Their menu changes weekly, and the service is fast and attentive. Great place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Provided a review at the nightDaveDined on 2/21/2014Provided a review at the night I dined at the college. All aspects of our dining experience was truly outstanding. I'll return on 10 April with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dining ExperienceAddieDined on 2/20/2014This is not our first visit. It is a great place to try food you have never had before. Have not had anything that we didn't like.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner on Valentine's DayLolitaDined on 2/14/2014I love the Desert Oasis and recommened it to 4 other groups this month, but I felt the menu for Valentine's was a little over the top. It was tasty, but I felt the choices could have been better. I actually had a hard time choosing because of the selections and not ina good way.Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceroseyDined on 2/12/2014What a great time I had along with my guest. Fine dining with an affordable price. It's a win-win situation. I get to experience fine dining with fantastic food for an affordable price, and the students are learning the restaurant business in a controlled environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch time treatHungryCanuckDined on 2/7/2014After being recommended to this hidden gem. We try visit whenever we visit our vacation property in Scottsdale from Canada . This time around we tried the lunch menu with our daughter and her fiancé , the food is just as good as the evening meal and would rival many top restaurants in the area ( except price) expect to pay at least half what you would pay for similar food elsewhere. The students obviously spend a lot of time and effort with the preparation and a lot of pride in the final result. See you at the end of April.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch at Artichoke GrillRogerDined on 2/7/2014Very nice ambience, open and well lighted. Modern with cooking articles as art works on the walls. Good service, good food, reasonable and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first timerstephenanddonDined on 1/30/2014We were invited by one of the students, a good friend of ours. It was a good experience, not too formal, relaxed and fun. It was my first time there. I plan to bring a date in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ValueChiefDined on 1/29/20145 gourmet course meal for $21! Deserts alone were worth the price. Delicious food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not up to their usual standardOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/29/2014We are regular customers here and dine here several times each year. The menus this year are not as interesting as they usually are but the food quality is usually good. But this visit it was extremely mediocre.the waiter wasn't good , the desserts and breads were not interesting, The beef Wellington was good but the rest of the meal was not. Of course the are student cooks and waiters. I hope this batch of students improve or change careers.Special Features:
- Scottsdale Culinary SchoolJayJayDined on 1/29/2014Food and service very good. Students did an excellent job. Tea water was not very hot but other than that, we were very pleased.Special Features:
- Find a Better PlacePD623VIPDined on 1/29/2014The beet salad was tasteless, the chef and the supervising instructor said they didn't bother to taste it. The veal marsala was over floured and under cooked which gave it a gummy feel and no marsala taste. The beignets for desert were cold when they are supposed to be hot and the sauces were flavorless. Service was very slow. Dinner to 3 and 1/4 hours, should have been 2 hours. No liquor license, they say because it is on the reservation but other businesses on the reservation serve liquor. Every tray that left the kitchen went through an artificial tree at the kitchen door and the leaves brushed through the food, not very sanitary and not a great way to teach chefs. Find a better place to go for dinner.
- Fantastic food and servicwdine4funVIPDined on 1/24/2014We have been there several times and will return again Great food and the service was good from folks learning. This time they did not make 5 stars since the soup and one of the appetizers was not hot enough but tasted great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a culinary schoolOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/22/2014This is a culinary school restaurant, so please put your Iron Chef expectations on hold. They do an excellent job and you will enjoy your meal. The price to value ratio is superb. Enjoy.Special Features:
- Great Lunch with the LadiessmartblondeDined on 1/22/2014SCC does an awesome job of creating delicious and attractive meals. It is a must do if you live in the Phoenix area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoy lunch with friendOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/22/2014I am a frequent customer at SCC culinary institute. The food is delicious, the presentation is so beautifully done. The students are very conscientious and a joy to interact with. And the price is very economical!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the food and the presentationLolitaDined on 1/21/2014Loved the food and the presentation. A gem in the rough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with the ladiessmartblondeDined on 12/4/2013I ordered the seafood bisque which was wonderful. The English Pub Club was tasty as well, and they were able to get my rare beef.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A hidden treatNansulitaVIPDined on 11/13/2013What a hidden "oasis". Such a wonderful find for us. Great food, great service, relaxing atmosphere. Students at Culinary Arts school creat a fabulous five course meal to savor at a leisurely pace. So much fun to find out what the students are planning with their lives after this - and they should feel proud of what they create every night! No alcohol served which was fine with us but alert for those who like wine with meal....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best secret in the valleyJonnybegoodeDined on 11/13/2013The Culinary school is a fantastic place to dine. You will receive more than your money's is worth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic place to dine!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/31/2013Desert Oasis is a diamond in the ruff. We love that place, food is wonderful and for a 5 course meal it is a bargain. I have recommended it to tons of people. Food choices are alluring and delicious. A definate place to take out of town guests, tooSpecial Features:
- Food was good but should beJayJayDined on 10/24/2013Food was good but should be hot. Students did a good job. First semester which may be trhe reason whhy everything was not as good as usual. I do like supporting the school and students.Special Features:
- Great cuisine options!CmilDined on 10/18/2013Celebrated a friends B'Day there - six of us - and everyone went away "wowed". The choices were diverse and even met the needs a gluten-free in our party!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.