233 E. Huntington Drive
Arcadia, CA 91006Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thederbyarcadia.com/
- Phone: 6264472430
- Hours of Operation:
Open Monday - Friday for Lunch at 11:30am, Open Daily for Dinner at 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Catalino Castillo
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private and semi-private available for business and social gatherings. Conference Room accommodates up to 20 for private events. Terrace accommodates up to 45 for private events. Semi private space available for various size groups. Please contact for availabilty, menu options, and details!
- Private Party Contact: Alison Duran 6264478173
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Music each Friday and Saturday evening in the Lounge and George Woolf Dining Room!
A word from The Derby
The Derby is more than a restaurant. Established in 1922, it has been family owned and operated since 1951. It is a grand museum showcasing some of horse racing's greatest moments. Diners are invited to take a break from the rush of modern life and travel back to the time of George Woolf, Seabiscuit and relive the excitement of The Race of the Century. We excel in offering the best grades of meat and extremely fresh seafood prepared by our longtime executive chef that would delight even the most discriminating of taste. Some of the menu highlights include the Bacon Wrap Filet, Delmonico New York, Prime Rib and Shrimp Scampi. We offer a wide selection of wines by the bottle and by the glass. Relax and enjoy a fine cognac or single malt scotch on our patio, or take in a sporting event on one of our three new plasma screen television sets. Dining at The Derby can only be compared to the feeling of holding the winning ticket when you smile and know that you made the right bet.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Derby - Best Restaurants in Pasadena ›
The Derby reviews from OpenTable diners
114 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (83)neighborhood gem (64)romantic (51)fit for foodies (39)good for groups (29)notable wine list (27)great for lunch (22)great for outdoor dining (16)vibrant bar scene (10)hot spot (9)great for brunch (8)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (6)scenic view (3)Show More
- Just terrific!!Redovergeren50Dined on 8/30/2014Great food, perfectly prepared & presented. Impeccable service! PERFECT!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyglockgirlVIPDined on 8/29/2014I've been here a few times before. The food is good, service is friendly and they had live music playing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeteVIPDined on 8/29/2014Free valet parking was the start of the dinner. Not rushed at anytime although it was a Friday night. Very friendly and helpful experienced waiter. Salads were average but a little pricy. The main courses were excellent and had plenty of complementary side dishes. The deserts were large and very good. All in all it was a great experience.Special Features:
- Good as UsualEdwardVIPDined on 8/20/2014Had lunch with friends at The Derby. It was restaurant week and the Derby specials for this week were great. I had the crab cakes, cobb salad and crab cakes. All were very good. Service was good and professional. I enjoy The Derby and it is great for special occasions and times when you want a really good meal.Special Features:
- FantasticAshstaDined on 8/19/2014Been here a few times. Every time I go, it's been a great meal. I truly enjoy the experience. The food is great. I was at Mastro's in Beverly Hills 3 days earlier, and I had a much better meal at the Derby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We have spent many special family occasions at the Derby. You never let us down. In this time frame, we have found that some of our favorite eateries change owners in a smooth transition and the only way the clients know the difference is that the food quality detioritates. We then look elsewhere for acceptable food fare. Thank you for your continuing fine dining experiences. I refuse to go to the mall for dinner. CSISpecial Features:
- Consistantly ExcellentRitaVIPDined on 8/13/2014As always, the food and service were superior. Lunch portion of halibut was very generous. As always, the warm cheese bread will keep you coming back for more.Special Features:
- Anniversary specialGeorgeandGracieDined on 8/10/2014My wife and I ate our 51st anniversary dinner at the Derby in Arcadia. We have lived in the San Gabriel Valley for over 50 years but never had visited the Derby before. The restaurant was recommended by friends when I asked where to take my wife for our anniversary. It turned out to be a wonderful recommendation. Our meal was delightful and our waiter, John, took excellent care of us. The atmosphere was quiet and calming and the decor of the restaurant was very attractive in a wood and red leather way. My wife and I agreed that we won't wait until our next anniversary to return to the Derby.Special Features:
- karmaDined on 8/6/2014Always a joy to eat here. Food and service is fantastic!Special Features:
- Great food - great dining spotalohakidDined on 8/4/2014The Derby is old school dining where the staff service is the best. They want to ensure your entire experience is great!Special Features:
- Notable DininghappytodineDined on 7/31/2014The Derby has been a favorite dining experience for many years. This restaurant has an excellent reputation, is classic, and is always a lovely dining outing whether it is lunch, dinner or just appetizers and beverages. The food is delicious and the service always outstanding. My friends and family love to gather there to enjoy the food, interesting historical settings and to celebrate special occasion. The Derby is a "Winner" !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pin bonesEMommaDined on 7/29/2014I ordered the salmon filet and discovered several pin bones. Had it not been for that factor my meal would have been great. Overall, tasty food, friendly staff and great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favoriteMarianneDined on 7/27/2014I go there time after time. I can think of no other place in Arcadia where I would rather dine.Special Features:
- Dining from another eraLuvaclassyjointDined on 7/26/2014It was extraordinary food and service from a bygone era. The restaurant reflects the sport of kings and it's affiliation with horse racing with the feel of stepping into the stately den of an Old Pasadena home. It is comfortable and welcoming. The servers still wear dress shirt and tie! The food was beyond delicious and still well priced for the cost conscious. The table next to us celebrated a birthday and instead of the obligatory ice cream and a candle, the restaurant brings a flaming Baked Alaska. That is style! I would recommend the filet wrapped asparagus, what a treat! Everything was truly amazing!Special Features:
- steak expert, good serviceEatTurkeyDined on 7/26/2014Tried Dine LA menu, meat is fresh, service is goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- John is a great waiter!RossReviewsDined on 7/21/2014John has worked at The Derby for about 16 years and remembers every detail of our preferences, even when we haven't been in for a few months -- he is a very professional and friendly waiter and we always ask for him!Special Features:
- All-round good foodRufusDined on 7/20/2014The Derby can be counted on for great, high-class dining. It is one of the last places left where you can eat without having a TV screen in your face. I usually go for beef (which is always cooked EXACTLY RIGHT), and my wife orders fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a good mealEnjoyDined on 7/20/2014Excellent food and great service. Never can go wrong at The Derby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brendaDined on 7/20/2014The free valet parking was a pleasant surprise. The outdoor dining section looked nice too. The staff (Host,Server and Bus men) were all very attentive and helpful. Overall, I would be happy to dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ServiceFoodloverDined on 7/19/2014The service was great and the food was delicious. The servers were attentive with refilling our drinks, asking if we needed anything and just over all providing good and friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointmentTop4ServiceDined on 7/18/2014I had heard raves about this restaurant. It didn't meet these expectations. For example; I was told that for a birthday they brought a flaming baked alaska to your table. We were celebrating two July birthdays and were there on an actual birthday. We had ordered a dessert so the waiter put a candle on it. At Tam, they bring their birthday trifle along with your ordered dessert. The waiter offered that anchovies could be added to a caesar salad but failed to mention the additional charge. A few days prior we had gone to Tam for a special occasion and it was a great experience with great service and food. I think next time we will go to Tam, the Smokehouse or Lawrys for that old fashioned feel for a special occasion.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/17/2014The food was excellent. Best rack of lamb I have had in a long time. We were able to have nice conversation with our dinner guests and not have to speak over other noise. Service was beyond excellent.Special Features:
- For nostalgia buffsuclarryDined on 7/17/2014It was fun going back in time, for old-timey restaurant in old-timey service.The DineLA menu was among the most attractive of those that I considered. There are more choices for appetizer and entrée that I have typically seen. And it was a bargain.The appetizers (crab and shrimp cocktail and Cajun lobster bites) were very good (tangy and flavorful). The entrée (bacon wrapped filet mignon) and desserts were good.
- A Great ExperienceFranciscoDined on 7/11/2014We came for the celebration of our mother's birthday. My family has never been here before though I have been on several occasions. The experience at THE DERBY was beyond my expectations. The server/waitress was attentive, helpful, friendly and engaged all of us. We felt very special. The meal was delicious and beautifully presented. The birthday Baked Alaska was visually fun and a nice ending to an exciting meal. The ambience and restaurant presentation was like being in a home on a race horse ranch, pleasant, comfortable, and with many racing memoribilia to impress most people. But the best compliment is this: my mother wants to come back soon (she's very picky)! And we will come back soon!Special Features:
- Speedway22Dined on 7/10/2014Our dining experience at The Derby was delightful. From the moment we arrived until our departure we were treated with the care and respect that diners expect. The wine list was excellent, The complimentary garlic/cheese bread delightful and our steaks were cooked to perfection. The spices and sauces compliment the food and do not mask or overpower it. This was truly a pleasurable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- old standbyjackbendVIPDined on 7/9/2014return to an old standby did not disappoint and a quiet, pleasant atmosphere to enjoy dinner and conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it was our 42 anniversityjoefinedineDined on 7/6/2014The food was exceptional. We had the chateaubriand. and baked Alaska for desert. Excellent service and quiet and nice Ambience. Took another couple with us and they were very impressedSpecial Features:
- Memorable Evening2HappyDinersDined on 6/30/2014Enjoyed another lovely dining experience celebrating a special birthday. Cocktails & hot yummy cheese garlic bread began our evening, followed with the Pick 6 Sampler appetizer (nice variety sampler) thoroughly enjoyed by the 4 of us. The Rack of Lamb was done perfectly & so good; the Tornadoes of Filet were excellent as usual & the French cut ribeye steak was good but felt the Tornadoes of Filet were done better. Our Pinot Noir complemented our meals well. Tim our server was great. And our flamming Baked Alaska topped the birthday celebration. It was a quiet Monday evening post racing season where we had a quiet but nice visit with each of our party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 37th anniversary1diner2qDined on 6/25/2014/// We reserved a table at The Derby to celebrate ourr 37th wedding anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Whirling Derbyliv2eatDined on 6/21/2014The food and service were both excellent. There was so much food that each of us took half of our dinner home.... and it was great the next day! Love the old touch of red tuck and roll booths and good prices to go along with the food. Steak and seafood....good combos.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic RestaurantJDMArcadiaDined on 6/17/2014I have been going to The Derby for many years for lunch and the service and food is always exceptional. The staff goes above and beyond expectations to make you feel at home and the food is over the top. These are just two reasons The Derby has been is business for all these years. If you have a chance, you must go there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a TreatKato66Dined on 6/14/2014We went after the races at Santa Anita to celebrate and early Father's Day. The food and service were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambiance & Dining2HappyDinersDined on 6/12/2014Thoroughly enjoyed our evening dinner celebration of our daughter's birthday this past week. Nick, our server, was friendly & did not rush us as we had a chance to enjoy our cocktails, delicious cheese garlic toast & appetizers (yummy fried calamari & filet wrapped asparagus) before ordering our dinners. 3 of us had the Tornadoes of Beef which were done perfectly & oh so delicious; 1 had the filet mignon which was very good. Leisurely enjoyed our dinners with a bottle of Gott's Cab & had a nice evening of conversation & visit. The atmosphere was lively but most enjoyable. Still able to converse & visit well. We finished with the Derby's flamming Baked Alaska with coffee & after dinner drinks and left totally satisfied & happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GOOD TIMESShayDined on 6/9/2014Return visit to celebrate all the old times at The Derby. Nothing has changed except our resolve to get back to the old schedule!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best!YummyDined on 6/7/2014We always come here when we visit the Santa Anita Race Track. Excellent food, Great Staff. LOVE Barbara, we wait for a table in her section, she gives amazing service. It's a great place to have a relaxing dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant !CucamongawinerDined on 6/7/2014Celebrated an early Father's Day with the family and this restaurant did not let us down. Our waiter Tim was fabulous and the food was spectacular. We ordered appetizers, seafood, steak, pork, 3 different desserts and each dish was better than the last. We will be adding The Derby to our list of go to restaurants. And my husband now has a new one to take customers to.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jackbendVIPDined on 6/1/2014once again not disappointed with good to great food and excellent serviceSpecial Features:
- GreatestOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/27/2014Always enjoy the Derby. The food and service has always been the greatest. Good spot for a special occasion. Just happened to hit it during LA Dining Week and ordered two of the featured specials. They were great.Special Features:
- CheersDined on 5/25/2014great restaurant, very old school steakhouse, service was very good, good settingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best!2silkyloversDined on 5/24/2014We were so pleased with everything about The Derby, from the history to the service to the food. The Chateaubriand for 2 was to die for! The service was excellent and the staff very friendly. We will definitely be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.