233 E. Huntington Drive
Arcadia, CA 91006Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thederbyarcadia.com/
- Phone: (626) 447-2430
- Hours of Operation:
Open Monday - Friday for Lunch at 11:30am, Open Daily for Dinner at 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Catalino Castillo
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private and semi-private available for business and social gatherings. Conference Room accommodates up to 20 for private events. Terrace accommodates up to 45 for private events. Semi private space available for various size groups. Please contact for availabilty, menu options, and details!
- Private Party Contact: Alison Duran 6264478173x
- Entertainment: Live Jazz Music each Friday and Saturday evening in the Lounge and George Woolf Dining Room!
A word from The Derby
The Derby is more than a restaurant. Established in 1922, it has been family owned and operated since 1951. It is a grand museum showcasing some of horse racing's greatest moments. Diners are invited to take a break from the rush of modern life and travel back to the time of George Woolf, Seabiscuit and relive the excitement of The Race of the Century. We excel in offering the best grades of meat and extremely fresh seafood prepared by our longtime executive chef that would delight even the most discriminating of taste. Some of the menu highlights include the Bacon Wrap Filet, Delmonico New York, Prime Rib and Shrimp Scampi. We offer a wide selection of wines by the bottle and by the glass. Relax and enjoy a fine cognac or single malt scotch on our patio, or take in a sporting event on one of our three new plasma screen television sets. Dining at The Derby can only be compared to the feeling of holding the winning ticket when you smile and know that you made the right bet.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Derby - Best Restaurants in Pasadena ›
The Derby reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (62)neighborhood gem (52)fit for foodies (33)romantic (31)good for groups (24)great for lunch (20)notable wine list (17)great for outdoor dining (11)kid-friendly (7)vibrant bar scene (5)great for brunch (5)hot spot (5)late-night find (4)Show More
- A bit of local colorOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/26/2014The Derby has always been there as a reminder of Sea Biscuit and his trainer George Wolff, and it has always been consistently excellent. Lovely nostalgic atmosphere and great beef and fish as well as a varied menu, but I always go for the tournedos with bernaise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special evening with my wifeDBMCDAVEDined on 11/15/2014bar service was very rapid and friendly. The reception was very warm and true. In our dining service was very good but very forgetful. The service personnel besides our main waiter were exceptional. overall we had a very good time in quality of food was exceptionaleSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good restaurant where you can talkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/3/2014Finally a good restaurant where you can talk and hear people you are with talking. No loud music! That is rare to find nowadays.Special Features:
- Highly Recommendedr8derizyDined on 10/30/2014This is a wonderful place to have dinner. I had the best experience at a restaurant in a very long time. To long to recall. I would recommend "The Derby" to any horse racing fanatic and anyone looking for an amazing meal. Reservations were at 9pm sharp, walked in 8:54, Seated by 9. Great staff/service/FOOD. YUM! Hope to go back soon!Special Features:
- FairSelfthebestDined on 10/30/2014Not the same old Derby. Hostesses cold and indifferent. Menu just so so. Ordered pan fried halibut, but it came out baked. Was in a hurry so what could we do?
- You must eat here !DaveLDined on 10/29/2014My group has visited the Pasadena/Arcadia for the past several years and the Derby is always on our list for dinner reservations. If you like horse racing, the collection of memorabilia is outstanding. The service is excellent as is the food. Some of the best steaks I have ever had. If you are there on Thurs-Sat, the prime rib is to die for. We visit there during Breeders Cup races and you are always likely to meet up with one of the owners, trainers, or jockeys. Reservations recommended if you visit during horse racing season. But any time is a good time at the Derby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/27/2014Always great for special occasions. Wonderful food and classy service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- derby delitesJimmyVIPDined on 10/11/2014Love the horse racing memorabilia....love the garlic bread.....recommend Chateaubriand for two and the baked Alaska for desert........very good wine list...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service outshines!LivermorejimDined on 10/10/2014While not a morsel of food wasn't great, the service was even better. We dined here because of the location to our hotel, but a one hour drive would still be worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/5/2014Terrific food, great service. A wonderful place for dinner.Special Features:
- Your Grandfather's SteakhouseClarevillerVIPDined on 10/4/2014If you want to know what it was like to go out to dinner in 1954, this comes about as close as you can come. Tufted red-leather booths, lots of wood. Carpeted to hold down the noise. Steak, and ... more steak. There is fish and chicken, but that isn't what the restaurant is about. It does make some accesions to recent tastes, such as bottled water and healthier side dishes, and men can get in without a tie and jacket. But if you squint your eyes you can feel as if you have stepped into a time machine to an era that was more gracious than much of the foodie places that ignore all else about the dining experience than what's on the plate.Special Features:
- A restaurant for nostalgia!foodisgoodDined on 9/28/2014One of the remaining steakhouses so common, and so good, in the 50's through the 70's. Great place for special events: anniversaries or birthdays, or other...pricey!Special Features:
- Very accommodating!thankfuldiner27Dined on 9/27/2014We had reservations for 6:00pm. Besides already running behind schedule, we ended up having trouble getting a cab from our hotel. The hotel called and the restaurant staff was very understanding and held our table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentFrankDined on 9/27/2014Great food ..... Great service, definitely I will come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/26/2014Food was great as always and service by Verne was outstanding once again.Special Features:
- Great birthday lunch at The Derby!AnonymousVIPDined on 9/25/2014We celebrated two birthdays and thoroughly enjoyed every moment! Our first course was their wonderful French Onion Soup followed by a specialty of the house entrée salad, and then we couldn't stop eating The Derby's delicious garlic cheese bread! At last, we each enjoyed a special birthday dessert with a candle on it.....and made our wishes. Another wish I have is to come back soon.....because it was a perfect dining experience and our server, Dottie, was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A treat for someone specialhappytodineDined on 9/19/2014The Derby never fails to satisfy my culinary taste buds. I have never had a meal that I didn't enjoy at this restaurant. It is a great place to take a friend or family member for a special occasion. Also, it is a wonderful place to dine just because you wish to enjoy great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good steak houseckingDined on 9/17/2014this is one of those old-style steak houses. it has good steaks and old-school apps. service is always great.Special Features:
- ServicejonycgraveDined on 9/13/2014Our server, Vern was such a class act. Very attentive and had a great personality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good steak sandwitchNonyaVIPDined on 9/8/2014The service was excellent. The bartender, (Jeannine) maybe that was her name, couldn't have been more pleasant and very professional. She made good drinks and left us alone when we were "catching up" but continued to check to see if we needed anything. I was disappointed in the portions of the filet mignon steak sandwich. It was cut up steak on bread, not a piece of steak and not much of it. The mushrooms were delicious, as wsas the dressing for the salad that Jeannine recommended.Special Features:
- Great Old-School Classic PlaceDarenDined on 9/6/2014Not a hipster scene by any means, but that can be a good thing when you want a more traditional place. Not stuffy, but very friendly and we were very impressed by the quality of the food! Great steaks but also great side dishes.Special Features:
- amazing food.eaterDined on 9/4/2014Amazing food. Excellent service. Classic ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't Go Wrong with The DerbyTinaDined on 9/1/2014We celebrated a friend's birthday who had never been to The Derby before. What a special treat and our waiter, John, was fantastic!!Special Features:
- Just terrific!!Redovergeren50Dined on 8/30/2014Great food, perfectly prepared & presented. Impeccable service! PERFECT!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Put the nag to sleepfoodisdandyDined on 8/30/2014OMG. Perhaps this was great in 1938, but it is dark, dank, and tired. The waitstaff is sleepwalking, and the menu lives in the past. To be fair, my steak was good, but I would hope so, for $50 ala carte.
- YummyglockgirlVIPDined on 8/29/2014I've been here a few times before. The food is good, service is friendly and they had live music playing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PeteVIPDined on 8/29/2014Free valet parking was the start of the dinner. Not rushed at anytime although it was a Friday night. Very friendly and helpful experienced waiter. Salads were average but a little pricy. The main courses were excellent and had plenty of complementary side dishes. The deserts were large and very good. All in all it was a great experience.Special Features:
- Good as UsualEdwardVIPDined on 8/20/2014Had lunch with friends at The Derby. It was restaurant week and the Derby specials for this week were great. I had the crab cakes, cobb salad and crab cakes. All were very good. Service was good and professional. I enjoy The Derby and it is great for special occasions and times when you want a really good meal.Special Features:
- FantasticAshstaDined on 8/19/2014Been here a few times. Every time I go, it's been a great meal. I truly enjoy the experience. The food is great. I was at Mastro's in Beverly Hills 3 days earlier, and I had a much better meal at the Derby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We have spent many special family occasions at the Derby. You never let us down. In this time frame, we have found that some of our favorite eateries change owners in a smooth transition and the only way the clients know the difference is that the food quality detioritates. We then look elsewhere for acceptable food fare. Thank you for your continuing fine dining experiences. I refuse to go to the mall for dinner. CSISpecial Features:
- Consistantly ExcellentRitaVIPDined on 8/13/2014As always, the food and service were superior. Lunch portion of halibut was very generous. As always, the warm cheese bread will keep you coming back for more.Special Features:
- Anniversary specialGeorgeandGracieDined on 8/10/2014My wife and I ate our 51st anniversary dinner at the Derby in Arcadia. We have lived in the San Gabriel Valley for over 50 years but never had visited the Derby before. The restaurant was recommended by friends when I asked where to take my wife for our anniversary. It turned out to be a wonderful recommendation. Our meal was delightful and our waiter, John, took excellent care of us. The atmosphere was quiet and calming and the decor of the restaurant was very attractive in a wood and red leather way. My wife and I agreed that we won't wait until our next anniversary to return to the Derby.Special Features:
- karmaDined on 8/6/2014Always a joy to eat here. Food and service is fantastic!Special Features:
- Great food - great dining spotalohakidDined on 8/4/2014The Derby is old school dining where the staff service is the best. They want to ensure your entire experience is great!Special Features:
- The following 835 reviews are from the The Derby reviews archive.
- Notable DininghappytodineDined on 7/31/2014The Derby has been a favorite dining experience for many years. This restaurant has an excellent reputation, is classic, and is always a lovely dining outing whether it is lunch, dinner or just appetizers and beverages. The food is delicious and the service always outstanding. My friends and family love to gather there to enjoy the food, interesting historical settings and to celebrate special occasion. The Derby is a "Winner" !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pin bonesEMommaDined on 7/29/2014I ordered the salmon filet and discovered several pin bones. Had it not been for that factor my meal would have been great. Overall, tasty food, friendly staff and great atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favoriteMarianneDined on 7/27/2014I go there time after time. I can think of no other place in Arcadia where I would rather dine.Special Features:
- Dining from another eraLuvaclassyjointDined on 7/26/2014It was extraordinary food and service from a bygone era. The restaurant reflects the sport of kings and it's affiliation with horse racing with the feel of stepping into the stately den of an Old Pasadena home. It is comfortable and welcoming. The servers still wear dress shirt and tie! The food was beyond delicious and still well priced for the cost conscious. The table next to us celebrated a birthday and instead of the obligatory ice cream and a candle, the restaurant brings a flaming Baked Alaska. That is style! I would recommend the filet wrapped asparagus, what a treat! Everything was truly amazing!Special Features:
- steak expert, good serviceEatTurkeyDined on 7/26/2014Tried Dine LA menu, meat is fresh, service is goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- John is a great waiter!RossReviewsDined on 7/21/2014John has worked at The Derby for about 16 years and remembers every detail of our preferences, even when we haven't been in for a few months -- he is a very professional and friendly waiter and we always ask for him!Special Features: