The Derby Deli & Dueling Piano Bar
27741 Crown Valley Parkway #221
Mission Viejo, CA 92691Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Derby Deli & Dueling Piano Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.derbymv.com/
- Phone: 9495825397
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 3:00pm - 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Alvaro Gonzales
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Dancing, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We can cater any small or large scale event. We have the unique capability of providing multi-cultural cuisine for nearly any ethnicity and function. Our executive Chefs will create a menu perfect for any occasion. We also provide full staffing for inside and outside caters. We have catered at many of the "taste of" festivals including business and corporate functions. Menus and packages available upon request.
- Private Party Facilities: We have a very sexy and sleek Back Lot Lounge which offers private dining as well as private buy out functions. It is an ideal area for parties wishing to have dinner before they enter the showroom for the nights entertainment. Alternatively , you may wish to relax and have a sophisticated evening catered by our attentive and professional staff. The lounge also has a ten seat bar, two Flat screen TV's and two large projection screens that can show sporting events or classic black and white movies from our extensive old movie catalog.
- Private Party Contact: Mark Ferguson 9495825397
- Entertainment: This is Dueling Piano Bar on steroids!!! Nowhere else in this COUNTRY will you find anything like the Derby's Piano Show! When you take in a Derby Show you will be blown away by The Derby Band which includes live drums (no girlie drum machine!), a full horn section and a show-stealing violinist. The concept is true to the original with one side of the room battling the other to see who can out-clap, out-sing or out-dance the other for bar supremacy. You might want to brush off your old Kevin Bacon moves. This is the party band you wished you had at your wedding! Brace yourself!
A word from The Derby Deli & Dueling Piano Bar
This is a full service New York Style delicatessen restaurant and a dueling piano bar that is open daily 'til 2am. We have amazing Deli meats that are cured, brined, smoked and steamed here in-house. Including daily fresh baked breads and amazing appetizers & desserts. The house comes alive Tuesday thru Saturday night with two pianists, live drums, a horn section and a violinist playing, by request, all of your favorite songs. The Show starts at 8pm Fall thru Winter and 8:30pm during Spring and Summer seasons.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Derby Deli & Dueling Piano Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
- When we arrived the said thereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2013When we arrived the said there computers were down and were completely booked with tables even though we made a reservation 3 weeks proior using this service. Luckily someone cancelled so we got a table. But nothing like strartjng your night off poorly when you make the drive to location with a sitter in place to be told they don't have your reservation. Very unprofessional.
- Birthday BummerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/9/2013You would think that making a reservation for 17 people would make it clear that a large group was coming to enjoy the evening...so letting them know ahead of time that the entertainment would not begin until after they left would have been nice. Not fun to show up for a birthday party and have no entertainment. Terrible service topped it off for a not so happy night. Bummer.
- Music good - Food so soLeo007VIPDined on 2/8/2013Have eaten her a few times, this time was below par. Food was ok, but not what it should be - must have been an off night in the kitchen. Dessert (canole) took forever and kept getting stories from waitress. We were there on a Friday night and the piano players were good. We were glad we came to try it out on a Friday night but disappointed in the food.
- Skip itLawgalDined on 1/27/2013Very poor service, very cold -- out of propane for heaters (have you heard of Home Depot) and out of Tea bags (again, have you heard of Von's?) Skip this one not worth it!
- I have been to the Derby aboutOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/25/2013I have been to the Derby about 8 times now. I have to speak for the people I go with. None of us can take anymore of Benny & the Jets the piano guys do along with some of these other unknown songs. We're not in the younger age bracket but i am quite with it lol There are just too many good songs out there for them to be doing these yucky ones. WE do requests ( & tip)but guess some are not doable. also even on a cold night there is just not enough air in the place: especially if you are dancing------Special Features:
- Not any dueling pianos. EachOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/19/2013Not any dueling pianos. Each would play a song, but no competition. I still enjoyed the music.Special Features:
- Not your average piano barOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/19/2013It wasn't your typical piano bar. It was much more PG rated than other piano bars I have been too. The service was good! There was dancing up by the pianos and almost every other song was someone's birthday (which was super annoying). There were additional musicians such as trumpets, a violin, drums, and I think there was a trombone too. Most of the time the other musicians just stood by the pianos and did nothing. Also the music doesn't begin until 9 pm. I found that kinda strange. In addition, the back of the restaurant is open to the elements. So in the winter they have thick plastic covering where the wall would normally be. My friend and I did have a good time, it was just more low key & way too many birthdays.
- Awesome fun was had by all......LOVItalianDined on 1/18/2013Awesome fun was had by all......LOVE THIS PLACE!!!Special Features:
- The Derby was alot of fun.GrneyyzDined on 1/18/2013The Derby was alot of fun. Looking forward to going back.Special Features:
- Fun on NYE. Had a problemOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/31/2012Fun on NYE. Had a problem with there being a cover charge that wasn't mentioned on this site or on the website. They ended up waiving it but weren't pleasant about it. Other than that it was a great nite.Special Features:
- Worst ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/29/2012Worst service ever!! Got seated when we arrived, took 45 minutes to get our drink order, over an hour for our food, thyey lost tickets, messed up orders, wrong drinks. If your going for piano bar fun, then it's awesome, if you want food, eat before you go!Special Features:
- It was fun-Had a good time.SusanVIPDined on 12/22/2012It was fun-Had a good time. Entertainment was excellentSpecial Features:
- We had a wonderful time celebratingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/8/2012We had a wonderful time celebrating a special birthday. The dueling pianists were great! The music and supporting instrumentalists were fantastic. Our entire party had a great time!Special Features:
- Music, Friends, and FunOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/7/2012I celebrated my birthday there with a bunch of friends this past weekend. It was so much fun!!! The staff was great and the music was amazing. It is such a fun place to go!!!Special Features:
- Was dead for a Tuesday thereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/27/2012Was dead for a Tuesday there was only like 10 other people there which was good bc we had pionists attention the whole night but waitress barely came around.Special Features:
- it is all about the entertainment!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/17/2012it is all about the entertainment! we sang, we danced, we were amazed.Special Features:
- Won't go back!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2012The music started out good, but then went downhill. They played 50's and 60's songs that NO ONE was dancing to. The dance floor would be crowded for one song, then the entire floor cleared out because the songs were so "old school". The entire restaurant was empty by 11:30.
- Terrible Customer ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/6/2012Terrible service. We were with a group of people who ordered before us and the food was over cooked. In place of the dish they ordered an alternate meal which turned out to be something totally different then what they ordered. We ( my husband and I ) were never asked by our waiter if we wanted anything to eat. Lousy service, save your time and money!
- Less than fair service but still fuOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/6/2012Service was extremely poor which was disappointing considering we came for my husband's birthday. The table we were seated at was so unstable that you couldn't put your arms on it without knocking over drinks. It took 30 minutes to finally get relocated to another more stable table. Then the waitress expressed that one of the other waitresses was stuck in traffic and therefore we'd apparently be forced to put up with horrible service the entire evening. Besides that, we loved the pianist/entertainment, and the food was good once we finally got it. I think we just had an unfortunate evening to choose to go on, in the past the service had not been like this. It definitely made me note anxious to return as the birthday boy was quite annoyed.Special Features:
- fun place with good food thatDinedivaVIPDined on 9/29/2012fun place with good food that is not too expensive!Special Features:
- Disappointing dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/29/2012The food here has really taken a turn for the worst. It use to be the best reuben I've ever had and now they've changed the recipe and the food really is not up to par. Other than that, the piano players are awesome as always and the crowd is very lively.Special Features:
- This was the third time weOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2012This was the third time we went. This time we had a larger group (8). Overall I like the place, and I have told others about it. I was turned off by the comments one of the piano players made about the song we requested. They did play it, but he didn't seem to enjoy it. That was the only negative.Special Features:
- The Derby has changed. WeOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/15/2012The Derby has changed. We went for dinner. There were very few people in the restuarant at 7 pm. We ordered, but they brought my wife her sandwich on a roll rather than the rye bread she asked for. The waiter took it back and we didn't see anyone again for about half an hour. I finally go up and tracked down the manager to ask him why it would take half an hour to get the right bread. When the manager finally took care of it, my meal was cold as I had been waiting for hers. During the whole period we never saw the waiter. You would think that with maybe 5 table occupied in the restuarant they could have changed out the bread in less than 5 minutes. It was a disappointing experience and we probably won't be back.
- Need more staffOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/8/2012Only one waiter for half of the venue, food, drinks and closing tabs took forever, the waiter was working at 150%Special Features:
- I will always recommend this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/7/2012The Derby is one of the most fun dining experiences I have ever had. Everybody has a great time when they're there. The service is always good and the food--entrees, notably--is amazing. All of my friends live in North Orange County (Anaheim, Fullerton etc) but we are always willing to make a special drive to the Derby for a good time. I highly recommend this place. Daytime--kid friendly; nighttime--not so muchSpecial Features:
- I failed to realize that duelingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2012I failed to realize that dueling pianos would not be offered during our dinner time so the birthday celebration was not nearly as festive as we had hoped. If it is listed on their website - I missed it. They should include in confirmation that is sent when reservation is made that pianos will not be played at this timeSpecial Features:
- I'm glad i called to confirmOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2012I'm glad i called to confirm my Open Table reservation, because they had no record of it, but the restaurant was awesome and they made of 12 reservation for me for the same time!!!Special Features:
- Perfect for large birthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/6/2012Perfect for large birthday parties. They took my party of 30 without a single issue it was totally awesome!!!Special Features:
- High energy! Good music. DeliOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/6/2012High energy! Good music. Deli style food. We had a great time. We'll be going back.Special Features:
- We came for the pianos andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2012We came for the pianos and got noise. There was a group of three people in the mall way trying to be a band. Never made it to the food.
- I love the Derby but it isOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/14/2012I love the Derby but it is definitely best on a Friday or Saturday night when the crowds are there and the energy is high. The food is New York deli (Matza Ball soup, big sandwiches, etc) which is all tasty and they have a full bar. The piano players are what really make it. Come with some song requests and money to tip (better the tip, quicker your song gets played).Special Features:
- Party scene in a good, clean wayDarlingCatVIPDined on 6/9/2012Get ready for a very loud and exciting night at the Piano Bar. Don't expect great service, as it truly is a bar scene, but the music will entice you to stay and sing along and probably by another round of drinks. Great place for groups, you will always see a group or two celebrating birthdays, anniversaries, bachelor/bachelorette parties there. *Make sure you come with cash if you want the piano players to play one of your requests.Special Features:
- We had an amazing time. WillOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/8/2012We had an amazing time. Will continue to come back again and again.Special Features:
- Derby delightOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/25/2012Went there for lunch and dinner. Great menu consisting of many east coast deli favorites. Enormous portions at very reasonable rates. Both times I ate there the restaurant was quite empty. Hopefully it does a goodnite life business, because it has a very unique menu, with something for everyone. Early bird specials include half price appetizers and beer. Hamburgers are rather ordinary so I recommend ordering their deli sandwiches or cheese steaks which are quite original, delicious and large.Special Features:
- The piano players are excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/5/2012The piano players are excellent and probably one of the best violin/fiddle players I've ever heard...great times were had by all :-) they played all of our songsSpecial Features:
- Great atmosphere. I went thereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/28/2012Great atmosphere. I went there to celebrate my birthday and had a great time. The food is not all that great and it was really difficult to get our waitresses attention. They do have great drink options however.Special Features:
- This place was great for ourOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/14/2012This place was great for our group of 20, the music was a blast but the food was extremely awful and took forever.Special Features:
- Great food but a slow food serverOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/24/2012The food was great... I had the Derby Corned Beef and my husband had The Yang. The servings were large and the corned beef was excellent. The only down side was we didn't get to try the cannoli's for dessert as the server was painfully slow, allowing us to sit over half an hour after we were finished without checking if we wanted anything more and then we only got our bill after going up to the hostess, and then after that requesting to see the manager. We were almost late to our movie due to the long delay. Just to note our plates were pushed to the side with our utensils and napkin on top of them, so it was obvious we were done eating. We enjoyed our dinner but the bad service put a damper on the experience.Special Features:
- We celebrated a friends 50thOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/16/2012We celebrated a friends 50th Birthday and we really enjoyed ourselves. I appreciate being able to bring in our own cake and our waiter made it fun too. Thanks again for a great time!Special Features:
- Great entertainment, so-so serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/16/2012The Derby Deli was a fun experience with great entertainment. It's not a restaurant for you if you are looking for "healthy" food. Definitely a deli with high fat foods. Great if you are looking for a treat! The dialing pianos were fun and entertaining. We liked the price for the entertainment, FREE. The service could have been better especially since it wasnt that busy. We asked the waiter at least twice not to charge our credit card that they insisted we had to give them prior to ordering food and drinks. He went ahead and charged it anyhow and then disappeared. No one came back to our table to correct the problem. I would have rated it higher if the service was better.Special Features: