The Deer Lodge
2261 Maricopa Hwy
Ojai, CA 93023Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Deer Lodge
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.deerlodgeojai.com/
- Phone: (805) 646-4256
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 3:00pm -1:00am;
Saturday - Sunday 10:00am - 2:00am
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American, Californian, Steakhouse
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Catering: Menus designed based on party needs with a range of pricing and options.
- Entertainment: Live music 7 nights a week.
- Special Events: Weddings, Rehearsal Dinners, Bachelorette, Bachelor, Birthdays, Corporate
A word from The Deer Lodge
Legendary in Ojai since 1932, The Deer Lodge is now under new ownership as of Jan. 2, 2013 and serving great locally raised grass fed steaks and American classics made with the best of Ojai farm-sourced ingredients seven days a week. We feature a great wine list made up of Ojai and regional wines. Live music nightly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Deer Lodge - Best Restaurants in Ojai ›
The Deer Lodge reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (18)neighborhood gem (15)fit for foodies (11)vibrant bar scene (9)good for groups (8)romantic (8)great for lunch (8)late-night find (7)special occasion (6)scenic view (6)hot spot (4)great for brunch (4)kid-friendly (3)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Friendly and great food.MikeDined on 11/13/2014The food was excellent and reasonably priced. Ariel was our waitress and the service was outstanding. I would highly recommend the Deer Lodge to anyone interested in great food with outstanding service in a pleasant atmosphere. Overall, a very pleasant evening that was the highlight of our stay in Ojai.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ojai Ambience AboundsThreesmommyDined on 11/8/2014Ojai needs a restaurant like this! Farm to table credibility mixed with creative recipe decisions. The duck confit was perfectly prepared. The flat iron steak is very good, with a delicious chimichurri sauce leaving you wishing there was twice as much sauce on the meat, it's that good! The mashed potatoes pair wonderfully with the sirloin steak which has a delicious sauce.Special Features:
- MenuOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/1/2014Servers should advise changes in menu and menu description did not match actual item. Very disappointed
- probably won't go backoffbeatDined on 10/26/2014our server was very nice and the restaurant is really kind of off beat and funky but the food was not at all goodSpecial Features:
- What happened to the burgers?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Deer lodge has always been a cool laid back place we've gone to for a burger and a beer. I was really disappointed when we showed up with out of town friends and discovered that not only were there no burgers on the menu, there wasn't anything in that price range anymore for dinner. Luckily, I made a comment about it to our waitress, and she wrangled us all some watkin & buffalo burgers anyway! They were great! I probably won't be going back for dinner though. Maybe lunch, or maybe cocktails & snacks while I watch a band, but we weren't thrilled by menu changes. It's too bad! I love that outdoor patio and the vibe.Special Features:
- pleasant and surprizingRedFireVIPDined on 9/30/2014p.s. the brownie sundae was too die but, ask for no melons...ew!Special Features:
- CAN'T GO WRONG W THE DEER LOUNGESERGE86Dined on 9/27/2014Really great service, great food, and nice location...I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Perfect spot for vacation dinner!CMW4Dined on 9/14/2014My mother and I spent a "girls' weekend" in Ojai and found this place. It was perfect. Great food, great service. Live music. Farm-to-table and local wine choices were major bonuses. I definitely recommend!Special Features:
- Deer LodgeVincentDined on 8/30/2014Great experience! The Filet was the best steak meal I've had in many years and I've had steaks in many places. Good food in a roadhouse type atmosphere made it interesting and enjoyable. Staff was friendly and service was excellent. My wife had the veggie stir fry and said it was good too. Sampled my steak and claimed I got the better of the deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a pleasant surprise!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014The Deer Lodge actually looked just like the advertisement. We sat outside on a very slow evening. The owner popped over for a chat. The waitress made good suggestions. The band was great. It was everything I hoped it would be and my guests were delighted.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be cool spot but...JoJiDined on 8/17/2014Our server wasnt very attentive! The host Nate however was awesome and greeted us with such a warm welcome!! The food was just fine. Seemed like the menu, neither food or drink were up to date!! They kept saying "oh it's not on there, ask the server" or the item I wanted was blacked out with a marker. The hotel discount we received was not applied to the bill & I had to go find Brooke to make the adjustment. The busboy was cool tho tending to us for the latter part of our visit. Wish i would have had one of the guys serving us since they seemed more attentive, the gals not so much. It is a cool, rustic spot and if u don't have high expectations then it can be a cool experience!!Special Features:
- PerfectgoodfoodlvrVIPDined on 8/10/2014The food was amazing both times we've been here... even with a massive bike crowed on a Sunday, we were well taken care of.Special Features:
- Fresh, inventive food selection!MarieBDined on 8/1/2014We arrived a few minutes late, but had called ahead. Our table was near the fireplace, but not well lit. We had to use the flashlights on our phones to read the menu. The waitress was friendly and confirmed our choices were her favorites. The food was fabulous! We had a wonderful time. The environment was fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Somewhat DisappointedCaliGirlDined on 8/1/2014I've been coming to The Deer Lodge for lunch for years. This was the first time for dinner. We met friends there on a Friday night. The service was somewhat slow, and when the meals arrived were only lukewarm. I had ordered the Bison Short Ribs, I literally could barely cut them, they were extremely dried out and nearly jerky. Another person in the party ordered the Salmon, and it wasn't cooked all the way through, she ate the ends and left the uncooked center of the filet. In the end, they took my dinner off the check, as it was virtually untouched and barely edible. How there could be such a difference between lunch and dinner, is a mystery.Special Features:
- better than expectedellaskyDined on 8/1/2014After reading multiple reviews on this place from Yelp I was unsure what to expect but because I wanted to see the band playing that night decided to give it a chance. I am glad we did. I sat outside for dinner and the noise level was low. The service was excellent. Food was delicious. Later we went inside to watch the band and really enjoyed ourselves. I will be back.Special Features:
- The following 58 reviews are from the The Deer Lodge reviews archive.
- Great dining experience!JohnVIPDined on 7/21/2014we were pleasantly surprised! Not only great food, but live music! Outstanding!Special Features:
- Unique, delicious, great!RoboRiderDined on 7/16/2014Deer Lodge is wonderful! Established in the 30's, it has a rustic appeal, an amazing menu, surprising selection of vegetarian options while known for their organic meat choices. Live music in the evenings, dining outside on the patio (with the neighbors and their pets) or inside (a bit dark, but what do you expect in a lodge! :-) ) and a decent wine and beer selection. Set in the mouth of a beautiful canyon in the town of Ojai, and just off the border of the Los Padres National Forest (a spectacular scenic drive before or after the meal), it's a "MUST" visit if you're in the area, and worth the drive even if you're not!Special Features:
- nice place, mediocre foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/15/2014Atmosphere was really nice. It was a good place to hang out with friends or family. service was ok, pretty standard. we asked for bread that never came. the food was a little disappointing, especially the bison.
- Enchanting EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/9/2014What a great spot. The entire evening was made by the incredible service, ambiance and great music. It was our last night in Ojai and will be a a tradition from now on.Special Features:
- Music saved the nightneomiaDined on 7/6/2014If I could give the food 3.5 I would. Nothing was amazing, my husband liked his ribs alot but I thought my jerk chicken was odd and over citrusy. The stuffed mushrooms were one of the blandest things I have ever tasted. Desserts were good though. The whole night was made awesome by discovering the amazing Becca Fuchs though. Go on a Sunday night to see her if you can!
- Not going back any time soonfoodie88Dined on 6/28/2014loud. noisy. out of desired items early evening. waitress with attitude. food mediocre.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/23/2014The restaurant was awful; the service was non-existent and the food was horrible. Will never go there again. The place was empty, reservations were totally unnecessary. Parking was limited and backed out to a road that was dangerous.
- Hidden GemliquidhairDined on 6/22/2014This Restaurant is the new destination experience. With a cabin feel you sense the ambience the moment you park and smell the sage and oak trees. A mix of hippie biker and connoisseur you will not be disappointed. What really seals the deal is the amazing farm to table food. Where else in California is the menu stocked with wild game choices fit for a michellin 5 star. I highly recommend this place and would give it 6 stars if there was an extra one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good overall experience!CynthiaDined on 6/14/2014It's a farm to table restaurant, their Chili tastes very good, rich and spicy taste! Service was really good, lots of friendly bikers, and really liked the ambience and surrounding. I don't often recommend a restaurant but this is an overall very great experience! We have been back there as well!Special Features:
- Great food, music, and serviceSteveVIPDined on 6/6/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our elk and filet mignon, served by Trisha, the waitress with the great attitude. The bands were so good (especially "Send Medicine") that we hung out and listened to them after dinner. A great experience overall.Special Features:
- Deer LodgeelaineVIPDined on 5/24/2014W have recently moved to Santa Barbara and have taken advantage of as many Living Social offers as possible to acquaint ourselves with local restaurants. A group of 3 of us went for lunch and all ordered burgers. While the place is certainly unique in its atmosphere, the food left alot to be desired. The meat was overcooked (we all asked for medium rare and only one came out that way) and seemed unusually dry. Would be a fun place to go perhaps for a drink but probably wouldn't go back for the food.
- Too BadOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/23/2014Very disappointing experience. The food pretty much came all at the same time even thought we ordered salads to start. Got my glass of wine half way through dinner.
- ParadoxOutandaboutDined on 5/19/2014Went for 24th wedding anniversary. Greeted nicely and seated quickly. Rustic furniture very uncomfortable, table wobbly, shelf next table dusty. server was nice but young and inexperienced. Had to check if wine was in stock, after awhile returned to say was not, bumped us up to higher $ wine, nice. Not very busy, but lots of time in between touches. No water served, had to ask. $10/$12 salads took long time to arrive, then less than 5 mins later main courses show up. Food was ok, but seemed warmed after sitting or something. Took long time to get check then longer to get cashed out. Owner walked by 3 or 4 times, greeted, seated regulars while we sat waiting to be cashed out, not even a hello. Perhaps good roadhouse but not WC dining...
- What a great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014Been here many times and never leave disappointed. The food and service are always great.Special Features:
- Nice spotBartDined on 4/29/2014The location is great, nice outdoor patio and live music inside. I would go there for happy hours or for a cocktail on the terrace. Food is ok, fresh and organic produce for sure, you can feel it but I was not too impressed by the dinner we had there.Special Features:
- Where great food + music meet.amcominsDined on 4/25/2014I was in Ojai for a quick over night trip. I was looking forward to hearing one of my favorite bands play... local and national sensation "Lissie". Food terrific; staff accommodating; music venue surprisingly intimate and energetic. A blast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and entertainmentGalerieDined on 4/25/2014We went to watch local star Lissie play a gig at The Deer Lodge. We decided to eat there ahead of the show and were totally impressed with the whole evening. The food was superb and the service excellent. Needless to say the show was incredible, so the whole evening was a total success!Special Features:
- Too much funBonnyKDined on 4/19/2014We have lived in Ventura for several years now and finally went to the lodge with friends who just moved here. Dinner was spectacular and we definitely are making plans to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisapointedsadpartyofsixVIPDined on 4/19/2014We had heard that the Deer Lodge had new owners and was a great place to dine. We made reservations, we seated immediately upon arrival and then went down hill from there. The appetizer was served when the main meal arrived (we had long since given up) which was an hour after we ordered. We did not even see a server to take drink orders until 30 minutes after we were seated. The wine they recommended was not available. The salads were all wrong the meal took forever and when they came to apologize they offered 2 free deserts for a party of 6. The service needs a lot of work. The main entrée when it finally came was delicious. But from start to finish it was a 4 hour meal...really? They need to send their staff to Sea Fresh to train.Special Features:
- SUCH A FUN SPOT!!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/12/2014This is such a fun place! The service was great, drinks were delicious....and who doesn't love onion rings? Would recommend this for anyone staying or passing through Ojai!Special Features:
- Go if you like great foodbucksterDined on 3/31/2014Visited during mid-week for lunch. old and rustic, Liked the setting. the craft beer selection is good, the food is good as well. Had the chicken fried sandwich with blue and bacon. passed on the spicy sauce. The sandwich was a little dry, should have added mayo. regardless, still was tasty. The burger looked great and the entire party had a good time. Will certainly be back on my next visit to Ojai.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bison Short Ribs - The Best!JRNMELDined on 3/29/2014Moist, flavorful, meat, falling off the bone. Mmmmmm, I ready to go back. Our server, Daniel, along with the rest of the crew took good care of us. The sitar player and band were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very trendy lodge like restaurantSofiaVIPDined on 3/28/2014Very trendy lodge like restaurant in a very rural part of Ojai, CA. Has very original décor, and a live band every night. The food was good, but the service could be better. Overall you should definitely visit when in the area.Special Features:
- great food in ojaikarenDined on 3/23/2014Don't miss going to this restaurant in Ojai. It's worth the trip to this little town. Best bison burger I've ever had. Husband had a cheeseburger and said it's the best he's ever had.Special Features:
- Although I was amused at theNoBikerBabyDined on 3/23/2014Although I was amused at the biker scene at noon on a Sunday, with their shots of whiskey and beer as they stood around their "bikes" I really can't call this a lovely place for dining. My dish had butter stuck to the rim of it when I didn't even have butter. The service was slow because there wasn't enough help, and our waitress tried her best. Everything just look old and neglected. It really needs a facelift. I guess at night you wouldn't see as much gunk.Special Features: