730 West Grand Ave
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.the-dawson.com/
- Phone: 3122438955x
- Hours of Operation:
Kitchen; 4:30pm until 11pm Monday - Thursday,
4:40pm until 12am Friday
10:30am until 12am Saturday
10:30am until 11pm Sunday
Bar; 4:30 until 12am Monday - Thursday,
4:30 until 2am Friday
10:30am until 2am Saturday
10:30am until 12am Sunday
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Rene De Leon
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from The Dawson
Opened on October 25th 2013, The Dawson is a new partnership between local restaurateurs Billy Lawless (The Gage, Henri) and Branko Palikuca (Topaz, Amber) featuring American cuisine. Celebrating the spirit of late 19th century Chicago, this casual neighborhood hangout features an energetic series of bi-level indoor and outdoor spaces. The Dawson is quintessentially American, from the familiar comfort food and classic cocktails with a twist to the nostalgic, versatile design and atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Dawson reviews from OpenTable diners
271 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (206)fit for foodies (126)hot spot (123)good for groups (112)vibrant bar scene (104)neighborhood gem (97)great for brunch (73)special occasion (68)romantic (64)notable wine list (30)late-night find (27)great for lunch (23)scenic view (14)kid-friendly (7)Show More
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014All around great place! Fries Lobster is a must! Service was top notch. Martini's were amazing. The burger is to die for! And this place is beautiful and fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014The Dawson was a great place for dinner with friends and have a great outdoor space! The food and drinks were delicious. Owner Billy Lawless stopped by to say hello! He was beyond friendly and made us feel at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Cool AtmosphereiEatfoodDined on 9/13/2014Great atmosphere and cool spot for drinks. Lively bar at night.Special Features:
- what a great time we hadOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/13/2014Went to The Dawson for an event and had to go for dinner. They have a fantastic outdoor patio but it was a little too cold to sit outside. the menu was great and the service was excellent. One dish was brought out under cooked and the staff (Nikki, Clint and Zach) could not have been nicer and more accommodating. Will absolutely go back again and again.Special Features:
- Great space, average foodJpinter1Dined on 9/11/2014I love this place but feel like I overpay every time I eat there. I understand that drinks get expensive. However, for the quality and quantity of food the prices are pretty outrageous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedeatyourheartout1VIPDined on 9/9/2014Decor doesn't match the food. Food was mediocre at best. I could have made a better salad at home. Dressing had too much vinegar that overpowered the salad. Pork chop was overpriced for what you get and served with same tasteless salad, and overcooked. Desert was the best part of the meal. Nice place; so-so food, excellent desert. Not worth the money.Special Features:
- Great patio diningDiningwithdrewDined on 9/7/2014Good place for brunch and a casual atmosphere with an attentive and friendly staff. A bit pricey for the fare.Special Features:
- Good Beer List and Good FoodfattiegonewildDined on 9/6/2014The food was very good, with the exception of the sausage. There are definitely some inconsistencies between what is offered and what the restaurant is trying to be. I would say the majority of the menu seems to be focused on fish or surf/turf but I was shocked by the presence of house made sausage. Being curious I wanted to try it, it is certainly not their forte. The wood plank it was served on was a nice catch for the eyes, but functionally it slid everywhere when you were trying to cut the sausage. The desert menu looked amazing, but the sausage didn't sit well with me so we weren't able to try it on this trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent. And loud.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/5/2014My girlfriend and I got dinner here last Friday night, and we absolutely loved our meal--we started out with chicken-fried lobster as an appetizer, and for entrees we had the honey-brined pork chop the grilled rack of lamb. The food was amazing all around, with Instagram-worthy presentation, complex flavors, and pleasantly-filling portion sizes. One comment I will make is that even during normal dinner hours, the restaurant is quite loud--in order to make yourself heard to others at your table, you'll find yourself talking in that awkward vocal register that lies between "conference call at work" and "trying to use a cell phone in a bar." But it's a small inconvenience for an otherwise excellent dining experience.Special Features:
- Going back!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/2/2014Absolutely loved it! I look forward to going back. Great cocktails, food was delicious, ambiance is fantastic and the patio is awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great patioOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014Nice patio and good food. Good drink menu. Patio bar is nice- good low key spot but good scene. I had the cheeseburger and it was delicious.Special Features:
- Fantastic SpotSpagitoVIPDined on 8/30/2014I loved this restaurant. The Chicken Fried Lobster is amazing! My dinner entree of the Freebird Chicken was fantastic as well. The service was friendly and quick and the ambiance is very vibrant and energetic. We have to enjoy outdoor dining while we can in Chicago so if you get the chance to visit The Dawson, DO IT!!!Special Features:
- Perfect Dinner in a Beautiful PlaceKleemanimalDined on 8/30/2014We had a wonderful meal with excellent service. Unable to choose just a few items, we filled our table with more food than we could eat and loved every morsel. The service could not have been better from our waitress to the manager to the bar tender to the director of operations to the owner, each and every person was friendly, professional and accommodating. We will be back!!!Special Features:
- DawesomeAndrewVDined on 8/30/2014Great atmosphere, the outside dining was spectacular. Something you really need to experience.Special Features:
- FishVIPDined on 8/29/2014Great bar scene and excellent selection of drinks. Food was good but not outstanding. Waitress could have been more attentive and knowledgable about food and wine.Special Features:
- Delicious food. Service/drinks ehhappychilivinVIPDined on 8/29/2014Had been trying to visits the Dawson for awhile and finally went. Food was amazing. Cannot say the same about the service (probably not the general concensus) as the waitress did not explain anything to us. She just asked "what would you like". Also, the cocktails we ordered were not that good. She did not explain to us any of the drinks, food options. Found out that you can order canteens through other diners. Overall, food is great. Service and cocktails were average, at best.
- Great food, service & atmosphereSFjulesDined on 8/29/2014We were visiting Chicago from out of town and we only had one night free for a nice meal. My boyfriend and I chose the Dawson and couldn't be happier! The restaurant is huge - 3 separate dining rooms - but feels intimate. Our server was really friendly and attentive, and the food was outstanding. I've been recommending this restaurant to all my Chicago friends!Special Features:
- decifering the menubetsyb4Dined on 8/27/2014i don't like when reading a menu it makes me feel stupid and the menu at "the dawson" does just that...there are so many words, food descriptions....foods that i have never heard of....Special Features:
- Awesome!CrawfishDined on 8/24/2014I recommended The Dawson for brunch to two of my friends last weekend and we couldn't coordinate times so I had to have brunch twice on Sunday. What a hard life...the drinks and food were great! We ordered the crawfish and other brunch items!Special Features:
- Great bar scenekaredekVIPDined on 8/23/2014Terrific drink menu, well edited supper menu and friendly service. The atmosphere is vibrant.Special Features:
- Great Cocktails - good food!GMarieDined on 8/22/2014I've been wanting to go here since I saw the mixologist on TV, and the "GTO" cocktail was just what I wanted - gin, grapefruit, lime = very refreshing. The next drink was too boozy and my halibut, which the server recommended was pretty average. My husband got the cheeseburger, which was great, but we can get a $15 cheeseburger anywhere. The oysters were fine, but I wasn't sure what all the hype was about. The restaurant is gorgeous and the mood is romantic, but energetic. I liked being there, but probably won't go back because it's expensive. I thought "Gilt" was much better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor value for moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/20/2014small food portions and very pricey for what you get. I have had dinner here twice and both times I spent $60 for one plate and one glass of wine without leaving satisfied. The portions are small even according to european standards. you don't get bread at the table. The atmosphere is nice but it's loud. Service is alright nothing special. Won't go back.
- Limited, but very tasty, menuWaterdancerDined on 8/20/2014Great food, fascinating drink choices. All American wines, mostly American and Belgian beers. Helpful bartender, sulky waitress. Lovely outdoor area for our small group dinner. Very nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Space--Inside and OutgoodbetterbestDined on 8/17/2014It was our group of three's first visit to Dawson, and we all loved it. Our server was attentive and friendly, everyone's meal was prepared well and as described, and the drinks were great. Especially lovely is the space, both inside and out. I look forward to going back in the evening when the outdoor fireplace is on and in the winter to spend an evening in the upstairs back space. Great addition to the neighborhood for fantastic ambience, solid menu, pleasant service at an appropriate price point. Well done.Special Features:
- The Dawson experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014The Dawson gets an A+ across the board from me - from food, to ambiance, to cocktails. I had the ribeye and it was deliciously seasoned and cooked to perfection. The Zodiac Cobbler is an excellent and refreshing cocktail, and the cheesecake sundae was devine. Staff was friendly and customer service was outstanding! Something that seems hard to come by these days in the West Loop restaurant scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks + servicelimecupDined on 8/15/2014Food was fine but drinks and service were most notable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Outdoor SpaceSarajoDined on 8/15/2014A friend and I had dinner at the The Dawson on Friday evening. We had a reservation but cancelled it after we saw the outside patio. We were told it was an hr wait but we were seated after about a 1/2 hr. The food was really good. I had the burger and my friend had fish (can't remember which one) both were great. Fun drinks and atmosphere. The inside is beautiful also. It will be great in the Fall/Winter. Another friend wanted to go on Saturday night so I went back w/ her. Another great experience- she had the pasta and I had the sausage plate. Both were really, really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautiful venue, food is less sokjm8Dined on 8/15/2014The space is beautiful. The food is confusing. Had a number of apps-some good, some poor, depending on what your taste is. Entree options are few, but tasted many of them. None were even good; really disappointing flavors. Lamb was overly fatty, chicken was just wrong, and the burger had a gamey taste. Should have stuck with apps and drinks only. May have left hungry, but with a better taste in my mouth.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/15/2014Food, drinks and service was excellent. Noise Level was loud. Was difficult to converse without shouting.Special Features:
- Excellent restaurant;Garden LovelyMichluvs2dineVIPDined on 8/12/2014Restaurant is just lovely and the garden with the fireplace is such a great resource small but delicious menuSpecial Features:
- Great food, great serviceMikanakinosVIPDined on 8/9/2014There was a problem in the kitchen that resulted in our entrees taking a very long time to come out. The staff (server and managers) were very attentive, and let us know they were doing everything they could. They were very eager to make sure that we were happy with everything, even with the small problem. The food was awesome, the drinks were great, and the ambiance is very fun. I would definitely recommend this place for dinner, or even just drinks.Special Features:
- Beautiful Summer AtmosphereCheddarCurtainBusterVIPDined on 8/9/2014Really wonderful dining experience- open curtain walls between the building and the garden with a beautifully lit outdoor dining experience. Restaurant was very crowded with large groups, but staff was still pleasant, knowledgeable and attentive. Food was excellent- enjoyed oysters to start, the fresh burrata salad with heirloom tomatoes was wonderful, and then had main dishes of grilled chicken and a pork chop with grilled peaches and cherries. Both were excellent, came well timed with the other courses. Great bottle of white wine with the meal, and a Bayonet Cocktail to start that used local spirits, fresh juices and herbs picked right from their garden. Overall a great night.Special Features:
- Not worth the $B1B2Dined on 8/9/2014For the prices, you'd expect the food to be next to perfect. Both entrées we ordered were improperly cooked. (How do you ruin chicken and a burger?!) The drinks were great, but the food ruined our experience. The best thing we had were the oysters and the bluefish dip.Special Features:
- Nice afternoon!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/9/2014We had about 4 hours between a wedding and reception and the folks from the Dawson could not have been more accommodating. We sat on the patio with terrific service from Annie. Had a great lunch- w/ dessert. Charcuterie board was terrific, turkey baguette was great and the brunch omelet was good as well. The manager even sent over a round of prosecco to keep the celebration going. Had a wonderful time.Special Features:
- Great SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/9/2014My wife and I took 2 of our kids to the Dawson for brunch. The food was outstanding and the service could not have been better. The place is a little off the beaten path, but find a way to get there and enjoy this great spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loveSarahchiDined on 8/7/2014I've been to this restaurant twice this summer which completely goes against my usual attempt to constantly try new places. It was that good that my husband and I were really excited to go back-- primarily for the fried lobster tails. I've never had lobster this delicious. Also love the entrees and ambiance. Hubby and I noticed it seems like a place to be single and seeking and thus was very, very loud. Only slight complaint. It was worth shouting a bit to enjoy this meal.Special Features:
- Great place to de-stressOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/6/2014Went here with some new friends from work after a long day. Parking was not too bad at all. Although, we did go there in the middle of the week. Service was swift and pleasant. The food was excellent. I had the roasted halibut. I highly recommend this because the fish is actually moist and very flavorful. I hate when places overcook the fish. The calamari on the side was also cooked to perfection - not chewy and overcooked. I had a few Moscow mules, which were well-made. Apparently, they make their own ginger soda. Overall, it's a great place to stop by before heading home, and probably good for a date night too. I would definitely consider returning to try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DDeatsDined on 8/5/2014Would recommend but with caveats. Portion sizes are small and to my way of thinking, too costly for what you get. DDeatsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SurprisingMathiasDined on 8/3/2014I was expecting a regular bar but it is not. Food get regular meal but they are well done and you'll have a great quality. I was surprised by this place.Special Features:
- New Hot SpotGlobalphileVIPDined on 8/2/2014Enjoyed a great meal on my first trip to the restaurant. Great mussels, fish and stone fruit salad. The outside was jammed so we opted for the inside dining room.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.