730 West Grand Ave
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.the-dawson.com/
- Phone: 3122438955x
- Hours of Operation:
Kitchen; 4:30pm until 11pm Monday - Thursday,
4:40pm until 12am Friday
10:30am until 12am Saturday
10:30am until 11pm Sunday
Bar; 4:30 until 12am Monday - Thursday,
4:30 until 2am Friday
10:30am until 2am Saturday
10:30am until 12am Sunday
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Rene De Leon
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from The Dawson
Opened on October 25th 2013, The Dawson is a new partnership between local restaurateurs Billy Lawless (The Gage, Henri) and Branko Palikuca (Topaz, Amber) featuring American cuisine. Celebrating the spirit of late 19th century Chicago, this casual neighborhood hangout features an energetic series of bi-level indoor and outdoor spaces. The Dawson is quintessentially American, from the familiar comfort food and classic cocktails with a twist to the nostalgic, versatile design and atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Dawson reviews from OpenTable diners
241 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (184)hot spot (118)fit for foodies (116)good for groups (109)vibrant bar scene (102)neighborhood gem (91)great for brunch (63)special occasion (55)romantic (54)notable wine list (23)great for lunch (22)late-night find (20)scenic view (9)kid-friendly (7)Show More
- UnfortunateMrHonestVIPDined on 10/19/2014Was really hoping this would be good after a disappointment the first time. Unfortunately the pork was so salty it was almost unedible. Not going back. Go to the gage instead. Better food.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/18/2014Husband and I came here for my birthday and pre-Hawks game for the first time. The foyer and decor is absolutely stunning and really set the tone for the whole evening. Our server, Gregory, was just delightful! We ordered cocktails to start as well as a half dozen oysters and the whitefish spread. The oysters were out of this world. Whitefish was delicious as well. My husband ordered the reuben burger and I ordered the halibut. Hubby's dish was perfection. I loved my included side of squash succotash, but sadly the fish was a bit over-cooked. The top was a bit crispy, which was fine but the inside was also a bit chewy. I'm guessing this was a mistake and not the norm. Dessert was a banana ice cream cake concoction- blew us away!Special Features:
- Mixed feelingsgmblnmnVIPDined on 10/10/2014I ate here on a Friday night. I enjoyed the food, which was fresh, well-prepared and tasted great. The menu is limited but that allows the kitchen to focus on doing things very well. The drink menu is extensive and very creative, while the wine list is strictly West Coast and a bit ordinary. There is one caveat: if you go, be prepared to shout at your friends. The noise level is beyond deafening.Special Features:
- Awesome DawsonVictoriYesDined on 10/10/2014Fascinating historic, factory building converted into a dramatic "loft like" restaurant. We had to explore the whole place before leaving. The staff were friendly and attentive, including the valet. The food was interesting and so tasty- the duck pate appetizer served in a glass jar with baguette rounds had a shear, flavorful texture that was a meal in itself. Sharing the Redfish with roasted vegetables was perfection. Try the Ruben burger with brisket! YUM! Everything was cooked superbly and the presentation was extravagant. The outside dining area and upper level for private parties were beautiful extensions of the main restaurant. We can't wait to go back to sample Dawson cocktails and savory appetizers at the "happening bar"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed very muchJDG1976Dined on 9/27/2014The food and atmosphere at the Dawson were excellent, only beaten by the excellent service we reecived. An A+ experience all the way around!Special Features:
- Fantastic atmosphere & great brunchRainiersMomDined on 9/27/2014The ambience overall was wonderful. The outdoor patio was adorable - even had a nice fireplace for those visiting at night. The service was perfect (not too frequent or infrequent) and the bacon flight is definitely a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AskEv3AskEv3Dined on 9/26/2014Fun, Busy, great ambience, cool place, a little loud. The staff is very accommodating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality Delivered2whomitconcernsDined on 9/23/2014Just stopped in for drinks this time. Fantastic service form start to finish. Bartenders all seem focused on crafting quality cocktails. The fire added life to the patio. Well done.Special Features:
- the restaurant was impossibly loudwolfyDined on 9/21/2014the food choices were limited; the brunch eggs were cold; the libations were overpriced; very loud by the bar;Special Features:
- The DawsonLalaDined on 9/21/2014Excellent! The service, the food, the cocktails all outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good new spot for brunchhut52Dined on 9/21/2014I recently had lunch on the patio and really enjoyed my experience. The patio has a great set up and they had heat lamps to keep it warm (although I believe they could have had a few more). The brunch menu had a good variety of choices including the bacon flight, which was great other than the jowel bacon that no one touched. All in all, if you are looking for a nice place to brunch I would recommend Dawson. Although, be prepared as it is at the higher end of what a place will charge for brunch including $10/11 bloody mary's and mimomas.Special Features:
- Patio Lovers Delight +2whomitconcernsDined on 9/19/2014Terrific patio atmosphere featuring great decor and outdoor wood fireplace! Having visited several times, The Dawson is truly a place I enjoy bringing both dates and groups of friends. Whether you're up for casual drinks or a great dinner experience, the staff is happy to accommodate. Great ambiance inside and out; crowded or not. Well crafted cocktails too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively spot, good for groupsDinnerVIPDined on 9/19/2014I recently had a Friday night dinner at the Dawson with a few friends. The restaurant is very lively with a diverse crowd (mix of business, young/trendy, and family). If the weather is nice, the outdoor patio is great and can fit larger parties. The indoor scene is more subdued and also has a spacious bar area. The food is very creative and the menu has plenty of options for sharing, especially between the appetizers/small plates and salads. I definitely recommend the hush puppies and the mussels!Special Features:
- Great placebeanDined on 9/18/2014All around great place! Fries Lobster is a must! Service was top notch. Martini's were amazing. The burger is to die for! And this place is beautiful and fun!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TimeDawsonDined on 9/17/2014The Dawson was a great place for dinner with friends and have a great outdoor space! The food and drinks were delicious. Owner Billy Lawless stopped by to say hello! He was beyond friendly and made us feel at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Cool AtmosphereiEatfoodDined on 9/13/2014Great atmosphere and cool spot for drinks. Lively bar at night.Special Features:
- what a great time we hadOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/13/2014Went to The Dawson for an event and had to go for dinner. They have a fantastic outdoor patio but it was a little too cold to sit outside. the menu was great and the service was excellent. One dish was brought out under cooked and the staff (Nikki, Clint and Zach) could not have been nicer and more accommodating. Will absolutely go back again and again.Special Features:
- Great space, average foodJpinter1Dined on 9/11/2014I love this place but feel like I overpay every time I eat there. I understand that drinks get expensive. However, for the quality and quantity of food the prices are pretty outrageous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what I expectedeatyourheartout1VIPDined on 9/9/2014Decor doesn't match the food. Food was mediocre at best. I could have made a better salad at home. Dressing had too much vinegar that overpowered the salad. Pork chop was overpriced for what you get and served with same tasteless salad, and overcooked. Desert was the best part of the meal. Nice place; so-so food, excellent desert. Not worth the money.Special Features:
- Great patio diningDiningwithdrewDined on 9/7/2014Good place for brunch and a casual atmosphere with an attentive and friendly staff. A bit pricey for the fare.Special Features:
- Good Beer List and Good FoodfattiegonewildDined on 9/6/2014The food was very good, with the exception of the sausage. There are definitely some inconsistencies between what is offered and what the restaurant is trying to be. I would say the majority of the menu seems to be focused on fish or surf/turf but I was shocked by the presence of house made sausage. Being curious I wanted to try it, it is certainly not their forte. The wood plank it was served on was a nice catch for the eyes, but functionally it slid everywhere when you were trying to cut the sausage. The desert menu looked amazing, but the sausage didn't sit well with me so we weren't able to try it on this trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent. And loud.ThoughtProcessVIPDined on 9/5/2014My girlfriend and I got dinner here last Friday night, and we absolutely loved our meal--we started out with chicken-fried lobster as an appetizer, and for entrees we had the honey-brined pork chop the grilled rack of lamb. The food was amazing all around, with Instagram-worthy presentation, complex flavors, and pleasantly-filling portion sizes. One comment I will make is that even during normal dinner hours, the restaurant is quite loud--in order to make yourself heard to others at your table, you'll find yourself talking in that awkward vocal register that lies between "conference call at work" and "trying to use a cell phone in a bar." But it's a small inconvenience for an otherwise excellent dining experience.Special Features:
- Going back!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/2/2014Absolutely loved it! I look forward to going back. Great cocktails, food was delicious, ambiance is fantastic and the patio is awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great patioOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/30/2014Nice patio and good food. Good drink menu. Patio bar is nice- good low key spot but good scene. I had the cheeseburger and it was delicious.Special Features:
- Fantastic SpotSpagitoVIPDined on 8/30/2014I loved this restaurant. The Chicken Fried Lobster is amazing! My dinner entree of the Freebird Chicken was fantastic as well. The service was friendly and quick and the ambiance is very vibrant and energetic. We have to enjoy outdoor dining while we can in Chicago so if you get the chance to visit The Dawson, DO IT!!!Special Features:
- Perfect Dinner in a Beautiful PlaceKleemanimalDined on 8/30/2014We had a wonderful meal with excellent service. Unable to choose just a few items, we filled our table with more food than we could eat and loved every morsel. The service could not have been better from our waitress to the manager to the bar tender to the director of operations to the owner, each and every person was friendly, professional and accommodating. We will be back!!!Special Features:
- DawesomeAndrewVDined on 8/30/2014Great atmosphere, the outside dining was spectacular. Something you really need to experience.Special Features:
- FishVIPDined on 8/29/2014Great bar scene and excellent selection of drinks. Food was good but not outstanding. Waitress could have been more attentive and knowledgable about food and wine.Special Features:
- Delicious food. Service/drinks ehhappychilivinVIPDined on 8/29/2014Had been trying to visits the Dawson for awhile and finally went. Food was amazing. Cannot say the same about the service (probably not the general concensus) as the waitress did not explain anything to us. She just asked "what would you like". Also, the cocktails we ordered were not that good. She did not explain to us any of the drinks, food options. Found out that you can order canteens through other diners. Overall, food is great. Service and cocktails were average, at best.
- Great food, service & atmosphereSFjulesDined on 8/29/2014We were visiting Chicago from out of town and we only had one night free for a nice meal. My boyfriend and I chose the Dawson and couldn't be happier! The restaurant is huge - 3 separate dining rooms - but feels intimate. Our server was really friendly and attentive, and the food was outstanding. I've been recommending this restaurant to all my Chicago friends!Special Features:
- decifering the menubetsyb4Dined on 8/27/2014i don't like when reading a menu it makes me feel stupid and the menu at "the dawson" does just that...there are so many words, food descriptions....foods that i have never heard of....Special Features:
- Awesome!CrawfishDined on 8/24/2014I recommended The Dawson for brunch to two of my friends last weekend and we couldn't coordinate times so I had to have brunch twice on Sunday. What a hard life...the drinks and food were great! We ordered the crawfish and other brunch items!Special Features:
- Great bar scenekaredekVIPDined on 8/23/2014Terrific drink menu, well edited supper menu and friendly service. The atmosphere is vibrant.Special Features:
- Great Cocktails - good food!GMarieDined on 8/22/2014I've been wanting to go here since I saw the mixologist on TV, and the "GTO" cocktail was just what I wanted - gin, grapefruit, lime = very refreshing. The next drink was too boozy and my halibut, which the server recommended was pretty average. My husband got the cheeseburger, which was great, but we can get a $15 cheeseburger anywhere. The oysters were fine, but I wasn't sure what all the hype was about. The restaurant is gorgeous and the mood is romantic, but energetic. I liked being there, but probably won't go back because it's expensive. I thought "Gilt" was much better!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor value for moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/20/2014small food portions and very pricey for what you get. I have had dinner here twice and both times I spent $60 for one plate and one glass of wine without leaving satisfied. The portions are small even according to european standards. you don't get bread at the table. The atmosphere is nice but it's loud. Service is alright nothing special. Won't go back.
- Limited, but very tasty, menuWaterdancerDined on 8/20/2014Great food, fascinating drink choices. All American wines, mostly American and Belgian beers. Helpful bartender, sulky waitress. Lovely outdoor area for our small group dinner. Very nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Space--Inside and OutgoodbetterbestDined on 8/17/2014It was our group of three's first visit to Dawson, and we all loved it. Our server was attentive and friendly, everyone's meal was prepared well and as described, and the drinks were great. Especially lovely is the space, both inside and out. I look forward to going back in the evening when the outdoor fireplace is on and in the winter to spend an evening in the upstairs back space. Great addition to the neighborhood for fantastic ambience, solid menu, pleasant service at an appropriate price point. Well done.Special Features:
- The Dawson experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014The Dawson gets an A+ across the board from me - from food, to ambiance, to cocktails. I had the ribeye and it was deliciously seasoned and cooked to perfection. The Zodiac Cobbler is an excellent and refreshing cocktail, and the cheesecake sundae was devine. Staff was friendly and customer service was outstanding! Something that seems hard to come by these days in the West Loop restaurant scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great drinks + servicelimecupDined on 8/15/2014Food was fine but drinks and service were most notable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Outdoor SpaceSarajoDined on 8/15/2014A friend and I had dinner at the The Dawson on Friday evening. We had a reservation but cancelled it after we saw the outside patio. We were told it was an hr wait but we were seated after about a 1/2 hr. The food was really good. I had the burger and my friend had fish (can't remember which one) both were great. Fun drinks and atmosphere. The inside is beautiful also. It will be great in the Fall/Winter. Another friend wanted to go on Saturday night so I went back w/ her. Another great experience- she had the pasta and I had the sausage plate. Both were really, really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.