244 West 14th Street
New York, NY 10011Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.thedarbynyc.com/
- Phone: 2122424411
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American
- Executive Chef: Alexandra Guarnaschelli
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine
- Entertainment: Each night during dinner service, The Darby Band performs with a full six-piece band offering a wide range of eclectic music, from show tunes, to jazz, modern pop, soul, to old-school.
- Special Events: Please call us or email Frank McHugh at firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from The Darby
Setting the tone for the ultimate dining experience, The Darby offers a mix of innovative culinary offerings and interactive live performances created by visionary restaurateurs Scott Sartiano and Richie Akiva along with Executive Chef Alex Guarnaschelli. Chef Guarnaschelli curates a menu that tributes the classics with emphasis on her dedication to fresh, local product. Menu highlights include Oysters Rockefeller, Grilled Creekstone Farms Tomahawk Steak with Maitre d’ Butter and Lobster Newberg. The restaurant also features a raw bar offering oysters and clams on the half shell as well as local specials that will vary from day to day along with a selection of house made charcuterie. For dessert, diners will be tempted by some old school American classics like Red Velvet Cake and Baked Alaska.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Darby reviews from OpenTable diners
- Not badOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/29/2013Overall, it was ok.... Nothing special though. Service was a little snobby and too slow, food was a little too greasy and menu not that impressive. Music was ok. Probably we will not be coming back.
- Terrible food, bad smell.neokDined on 6/27/2013Smells like an old shoe, cant talk since music is so loud and food is bad. Seems like a magnet for people who dont eat out looking for a place to bring their friends for a bad birthday party. Was less than half full 9pm on a thursday with people staring blankly at the mediocre band.
- Great bands! GREAT Food! GreatKk11Dined on 6/14/2013Great bands! GREAT Food! Great way to start a New York evening!Special Features:
- Live Music and Great Food!bpanarelVIPDined on 6/8/2013Outstanding! If you don't have a great time here then you are just not in the mood. Live music, comfortable atmosphere-a real gem on all levels!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceEmathDined on 6/7/2013Was my first time and overall great time. Food was excellent, crowd was trendy and staff was friendly and knowledgable. Strongly suggested!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Darby - New York CityTimmyDined on 6/6/2013Great ambient environment! The food was also fantastic!! The live music and entertainment definitely completes the experience for an enjoyable weekend night out in mid-town Manhattan. We received great service as well, which is always a plus in my book. Definitely recommend it for those who don't mind splurging a little bit for a fine quality dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DarbyKimcheecutieDined on 6/6/2013Drinks are great. Food us pricey but you are getting great entertainment so it's worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great atmosphere, food andbertDined on 6/1/2013great atmosphere, food and service. a little pricey but not " too expensive" considering locationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food experienceArena13Dined on 6/1/2013From start to finish the experience was outstanding. The service was excellent and the food was some if the best I've ever had. Kudos to Alex Guarnaschelli for creating such a wonderful menu. The live music also added to the overall ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the fuss!WynnDined on 5/31/2013Terrible food AC ice cold Band were average at best, but too loud drums. Not worth going to!
- OverpricedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/23/2013From the look of the restaurant and chef behind it my expectations were set high. Unfortunately the service was sub-par and the food was average given the exorbitant prices. The ambience and decor were the only saving grace. This was the type of place I would have loved to go back to but never will.
- Hidden $15pp entertainment chargeOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/18/2013We weren't told about this charge when we booked, so an additional $45 on the check was a nasty surprise. The music is overwhelmingly loud, and everyone seemed a little relieved when it stopped (singers were talented, but you do still want to be able to talk to your friends, which was impossible). Service is very nice and the steak was tip-top.
- My favorite restaurant inOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/17/2013My favorite restaurant in NYC! The food and entertainment are fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely amazing!!! EntertainmentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/17/2013Absolutely amazing!!! Entertainment was so awesome, food delish!! Cant wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VibeAZNSDined on 5/16/2013Great Vibe overall .... The live band was fantastic! A bit pricey but it was totally worth it!Special Features:
- Service was good, but noiseOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/15/2013Service was good, but noise level too high, which spoiled the atmosphere of the place. Decor a little cold and the hard surface surrounds contributed to the shrill reverberations of sound in the room. Band and food were good. Overall not very romantic, more suited to late night drinks and catch up with friends if you can shout loud enough to be heard.
- Food not as good as expectedSpanishgourmetDined on 5/14/2013We have spent one week in nyc having dinner in fancy and trendy restaurants, I must say that food quality in the darby is far below the averageSpecial Features:
- Perfect for a date and great timeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2013Having tried Alex Guarnaschelli's menu at Butter, I knew The Darby wouldn't let me down. Brought my boyfriend here for a date, and boy we had such an amazing time. Cocktails were perfectly crafted; we were able to enjoy them while listening to the outstanding jazz performance. Our table was right in front of the stage, and while most people may think that such a location would be distracting, it was perfect nonetheless. As for dinner, I had the pork chop and he had the branzino, both of which were to die for. We also tried the veal bacon to nibble on and it was incredibly savory and delicious.Special Features:
- NYC Night OutldalbrechtDined on 5/8/2013We had a great evening listening to the jazz duo while enjoying our dinner. The bar got a little loud, but it is NYC!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful nightRIFoodieDined on 5/4/2013Went to Thr Darby for a night out with some friends. We had a fantastic time. All was very good-drinks, food, service and entertainment. I would go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We got a table for 7 thirtyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/27/2013We got a table for 7 thirty and the main singer only started performing at 9.45The band took a break for an hour! Basically we had dinner in the dark with zilch entertainmentIt was a total let down
- We came here for an earlyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2013We came here for an early birthday celebration... At the beginning we had to wait 30 mins to be seated and were asked to sit by the bar which was full... However it was worth the wait... Live band music was just great that made us all dance the night away... Staff are extremely friendly and give you super attention...Special Features:
- Food was good, but not worthOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/25/2013Food was good, but not worth the amount we paid for it. Extremely overpriced. But we had fun, the live band was cool, but too loud at times.Special Features:
- Too loud. Burratta was likeOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 4/24/2013Too loud. Burratta was like rubber. Good was fine but for the same price there are a lot better options in the city.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/24/2013The Darby is one of the nicest places I've taken a date to. There is live Jazz/Blues Music and the food is fantastic. Very pricey.Special Features:
- Fun scene - mediocre drinks & foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/19/2013WAY overpriced for what you get. They are trying to be premium but the food is just ok. The $65 steak should have been $30. The cocktails were inconsistent. Our table wobbled and they couldn't fix it. Soupy Mac n cheese. Skip it.
- Great place if you like anOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/18/2013Great place if you like an awesome party vibe with live music. It was like being at a cool friends party who only has beautiful people as friends and knows how to entertain and makes really good food. The Darby was a blast and I will be back often.Special Features:
- Not a place to go if you areOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/12/2013Not a place to go if you are hoping to engage in conversation.Special Features:
- Great entertaining place forOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/12/2013Great entertaining place for dinner, especially with a group. The food was way above average as well. Great night out, much more exciting than just going out to a nice place for dinner.Special Features:
- If you would like to haveNybebe620VIPDined on 4/12/2013If you would like to have conversation with your dinner companion, The Darby is not the place to go. While the food was good, the music was so loud it was painful. It was also very pricey.
- Went on a Tuesday so it wasn'tOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 4/9/2013Went on a Tuesday so it wasn't very crowded but great experience. There was a great piano player that played the whole night. The food was very good. Had the crab cakes, octopus, flat bread, filet and mac & cheese. Everything was very good....I was actually pretty surprised about the quality/taste of the food.Special Features:
- Chef Guarnaschelli is amazing!!GolfgabDined on 4/6/2013Chef Alex Guarnaschelli is an amazing chef!! The food was outstanding!! It is a loud venue but has a house band that plays wonderful jazz music!! Be aware, they charge a $15/pp fee for the live music. I still think its worth it!!Special Features:
- Outstanding food and service.LizzieNYCVIPDined on 4/3/2013Outstanding food and service. Live music was exceptional.Special Features:
- We had a great time at theOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 3/27/2013We had a great time at the Darby! Topped off by meeting Chef Alex as we left.Special Features:
- Phenomenal entertainment -CityChicDined on 3/23/2013Phenomenal entertainment - a fun night for a special occasion!Special Features:
- Very enjoyable experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/12/2013The food was great. Nice selection of both east and west coast oysters. We tried and would recommend the veal "bacon", the oven-roasted striped Bass and the seared beef filet and we tasted the roasted Brussels sprouts and the cauliflower gratin. Everything was great. I suggest tasting several items; everything we saw and/or tasted was wonderful. The wine list is limited and needs to be expanded. Great 20's music (that I understand changes daily).Special Features:
- Honestly, I wish I'd readOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/8/2013Honestly, I wish I'd read more of the reviews before going here. It was supposed to be a special anniversary meal. For $200, it's a shame I just got home and am absolutely starving. The food is good but $17 for a Caesar salad that is just some lettuce and $33 for filet branzino that seems like it is 4 bites and you're done, it just isn't worth it. Plus, on weekends they hit you for $15 a head for the band. But tonight they only played for the middle half hour we were there, it hardly seems worth it. Now I need to go to the kitchen and scare myself up a meal.
- great food, the band was theOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/7/2013great food, the band was the best part they are amazing! would definitely go back for the band more than the foodSpecial Features:
- If I'm being honest, thereAyewonderDined on 3/5/2013If I'm being honest, there was nothing wrong with The Darby. However, my expectations were sky high because I have always wanted to try Chef Guarnashelli's food and while it was good, it wasn't fantastic. I had the "carpetbagger" steak cooked medium rare and it was a bit overdone but still delicious. My wife had the Branzino and found it to be thoroughly ok. The room was great as was the service but I was expecting more from such an incredibly talented chef.
- Great music, tables setupHarlemnewbieDined on 3/1/2013Great music, tables setup a bit crowded together, very good service but we were there before the crowd arrived.Special Features: