124 South 18th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thedandelionpub.com/
- Phone: 2155582500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: English, Gastro Pub, British
- Executive Chef: Robert Aikens
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Meg Torpey 2672383649
A word from The Dandelion
London's culinary revolution comes to Philadelphia with this unique gastropub. Cozy rooms and intimate bars create a storied, Old World aura, while updated seasonal takes on British food make up the menu. In keeping with tradition, our casks and tap craft beers are always rotating, a proper afternoon tea service has a sweet and savory menu and classic family-style roasts are served on Sundays.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Dandelion reviews from OpenTable diners
391 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (212)neighborhood gem (198)good for groups (136)great for lunch (126)special occasion (120)hot spot (108)great for brunch (102)romantic (102)vibrant bar scene (97)late-night find (31)great for outdoor dining (21)scenic view (19)notable wine list (18)kid-friendly (15)Show More
- Absolutely Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/20/2014The menu had so many great items it was hard to decide and everything was worth ordering! Incredibly well executed food. The service was a little lacking (took forever to take our order and almost hit us in the face when clearing the table on more than one occasion). But the staff was very friendly and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/19/2014Exceptional service, fabulous food, commentary dessert for a delay in food since it was not prepared to their satisfaction to provide to us, but we didn't perceive a delay. They went above & beyond to provide great customer service without any request.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Sunday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/19/2014We had dinner here once before and had excellent food and service so I wanted to experience that again to celebrate my wife's birthday with friends. I made a reservation for 9 people and the staff called a few days before to confirm it which I greatly appreciated. When we arrived, we were given the large table by the fireplace, making for a cozy and warm setting that everyone loved. Our server was very attentive and kind and the food was excellent. I highly recommend the duck, foie gras and pistachio terrine as a starter (great for sharing) and my roast sirloin of beef was phenomenal! My mouth is watering just thinking about it. The great staff, food, and ambiance all made my wife's birthday extra special! I can't wait to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but hard to enjoyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014The restaurant is charming and the effect of an old home adds to the charm. Although we were in a dining room (not at the bar) on an early Sunday evening, the music being played was quite loud (I could not hear my companion easily). It was not a relaxing dining experience. Perhaps they could consider one set of music down at the bar and more suitable (choice and volume) in the dining rooms. The food was very tasty and although the beef platter being served on a cutting board seemed fine initially, the boards were wobbly, making cutting a challenge as you tried not to get gravy on your cuffs. Plates may be a less interesting look, but a more practical choice. Servers & staff were all very attentive and pleasant; no fault there at all.Special Features:
- Dandelion will make you wisejoepaDined on 10/19/2014The perfect ending to the Annual Center City Residents' Association House Tour was dinner at Dandelion. A friend joined us there and we had a great relaxing get together. I tried an interesting drink, Pumpkin Flip: ginger, muddled citrus, Bulleit bourbon, pumpkin puree, whole egg, Youngs Double Chocolate Stout, and cinnamon. It was quite smooth! For dinner I had the Chicken & duck liver parfait and Lamb shepherd's pie. My wife and friend were not quite as adventurous with drinks and dinner but everyone found something to please them. Too full for desert we leisurely sat and talked over coffee.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ITS ALL ABOUT THE BURGERcal1dineVIPDined on 10/19/2014WHEN I SAY ITS ALL ABOUT THE BURGER I TRULY MEAN ITS ALL ABOUT THE BURGER. THE HOUSE BLEND AGED BEEF BURGER IS WITHOUT A DOUBT THE FINEST BURGER IN ALL PHILA. BIG THICK AND VERY JUICY AND BANGING FLAVOR. THE BEST OF THE BEST!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dandelion Oct. 18AthertopDined on 10/18/2014The restaurant had an atmosphere like an old British pub or inn... but the food was more diverse, and absolutely delicious. I had the rabbit pie, while my husband had the Shepherds Pie. The cocktail ("Honeysuckle") I had was also very tasty. The noise level was considerable, but I could still hear the conversation in my group of six. I highly recommend the Dandelion.Special Features:
- Nice ambiance but...LinziDined on 10/18/2014Nice ambiance but otherwise disappointing. The food is mediocre, an expensive price point for this type of food, and the seating is rather disappointing. My husband and I went for our anniversary, and we were stuck in a corner in a back room. Either I hit my elbow on the wall whenever I took a bite of food, or we were hitting knees under the table. England is not known for it's wonderful cuisine, but with it being the only restaurant with this type of food in Philadelphia, I suppose it's novel. We had the duck foie gras as an appetizer, which was dry and not what I expected for foie gras. For our entrees, my husband had the Lamb Shepherd's Pie, which was fine. I had the Crab Risotto, which was tasty but sort of boring.
- A dandy placeHandyAndyDined on 10/17/2014The food is excellent English (no longer an oxymoron) fare. The service is exemplary. The dandelion salad was a great start for two of us before the shepards pie. And the fizzy water is complimentary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- More look than substance.LizzybruinDined on 10/17/2014Great looking place. Service was less than professional--most servers seemed a bit inexperienced--not bad, but not exceptional, as was generally my experience in Philadelphia. Food was heavy; portions overlarge.
- Excellent lunch with coworkersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014We took our boss for Boss's Day and were thrilled to find a delightful setting and delicious food. We had been worried that the menu might be too wintery and heavy, given the British pub profile, but we were happy to find lots of fresh and lighter options that were perfect for lunch. Our server was also excellent, being just attentive enough without overbearing. I would love to return to try the dinner menu!Special Features:
- Good lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/17/2014We were there for lunch and the food was delicious - sandwiches and salads. The staff was friendly and accommodating. It can get a little loud.Special Features:
- BurgermanVIPDined on 10/16/2014The service was very good and the food had good taste although the sandwich was difficult to eat as it kept coming apart. Better for dinner than lunchSpecial Features:
- Outstanding Choice for FoodiesGreengirlDined on 10/12/2014The rabbit and lamb shephard's pie were cooked and presented perfectly. If you love pot pie or shephard's pie, you will love these two choices. We were overwhelmed by the size of the duck and liver mousse...it was huge. The toast points were the size of Texas French toast, so this is definitely an appetizer to share among friends. We did not have a chance to stay for dessert, but the wine and beer selection were pretty decent although they were a tad pricier than other restaurants of the same caliber. Definitely a place to do to your "must go to" list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AntrimmanDined on 10/12/2014Beer selection very strong.Everyone enjoyed the scones and jam.Entrees were OK;omelet tasted like it was made from egg beaters;chicken in sandwiches was dry and chewy;full English brkfst was well received.This is my 3rd visit,would probably go againSpecial Features:
- Adorable, also yummydekledinerDined on 10/12/2014We had scones, the french toast, and the salmon royale. All were great. Service was lovely. It was not so busy on a Saturday for brunch either.Special Features:
- FabulousBusinessLunchVIPDined on 10/11/2014Amazing food and outstanding space. It lives up to it's GastroPub roots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the ambianceRosieVIPDined on 10/11/2014I went here with some friends on a Saturday night. It gets a little hard to order a drink from the bar when it's packed. We were seated for dinner in the "dog" room. I think the best part of this establishment was the decor and ambiance which was cute. I had a Pim's cup, the lamb Sheppard's pie with a side of spinach, and we shared the London underground and sticky toffee pudding desserts. They were all good but I wouldn't say spectacular and the service was really really slow to get our order. It's a neat place that has really fun decor so it's worth a stop but there are much better places for food in Philly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JRP ReviewJRPFoodLoverDined on 10/11/2014Food we ordered was very good and at a reasonable price. The beers in Casks were different and definitely worth the try. The service was good, although, they did initially mess up our beer order. However, they made up for it by surprising us with a free desert and drink for our anniversary. The atmosphere was a little loud like an English Pub and the chairs were not all that comfortable. But overall, it was worth the experience and I would recommend it to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/11/2014food good service good but if you want comfort this place is not the place to go. Seating not comfortable at all and very tight
- Phlrevi3werDined on 10/11/2014Probably the best brunch I have had in a long time. The French toast was amazing with the vanilla cream. My gf got poached eggs with bubble and squeak and it was equally as delicious. Will def be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoy a piece of London in Phillysam29Dined on 10/11/2014Great ambience with a tasty menu and friendly staff. Good options of beers!Special Features:
- A Mixed BagmdiehlDined on 10/10/2014The Curried Crab, Cod, & Chili Cakes were excellent, spicy without being overpowering. The Caesar Salad here is unique in that it came with capers and pickles; the anchovies atop the delicate Baby Romaine had a distinct taste of vinegar. The Crab Risotto was a blend of flavors where all balanced one another. The London Underground and Stilton Cheesecake desserts were delicious, although both may have been improved by one less component. The tables in the upstairs bar area, with the banquette are a good table top size, but the bases supporting them are large for this small space, and it was difficult to seat oneself at them in the corner, particularly with another chair at it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- To be recommended !!FroggyDined on 10/8/2014French tourist in Philadelphia, I experienced several restaurants during my stay. The Dandelion was certainly the best value for money we got. Excellent food !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my most enjoyable meals!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/4/2014Our first trip to Philly to celebrate our anniversary and I hit it out of the park by choosing this place! We loved every aspect of the experience - lovely ambiance, service was tremendous, food was delicious! Met a local earlier in the day who told me to order the Caesar salad and she wasn't kidding! Who knew a salad could be so memorable? But it WAS! I had the rabbit pie which was delectable and my husband raved about his crispy pork belly. I tried the London Fog cocktail and it was really good! My husband tried the beer cast flight and then chose his favorite from those and had a full sized. Can't think of one thing I would change! Will make the day trip to Baltimore for another chance to eat here!Special Features:
- Brunch with friendsiddaniel09Dined on 10/4/2014Las weekend I had a brunch with a group of friends, the food was excellent as well as the service, our table was located in the 2nd floor and it really was the perfect place to enjoy a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SandraVIPDined on 10/3/2014The pork belly was excellent. A generous portion, prepared well, and beautifully presented. I would definitely go back.Special Features:
- great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/1/2014We went for a work lunch. The food was superb. We had the rarebit and cheese board which were both exquisite, and I had the bangers and mash for lunch (my coworkers had the fish and chips and shepards pie respectively). I honestly think if your workplace has a no-alcohol-during-work-hours policy, you should make this a happy hour stop instead. The food and ambiance are inspired by English pubs, so you really need to have the ability to knock back a pint or 3 to get the most enjoyment. This is obviously not the restaurant's fault - more my team and I's poor planning. We will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent lunchMarcytVIPDined on 9/29/2014Diverse and interesting lunch menu with great gluten-free choices and friendly, professional service.Special Features:
- Scones to die for4thRockRuminatorVIPDined on 9/28/2014Went for brunch. Fun atmosphere but a little loud. Food and service were excellent. Recently returned from a trip to Cornwall in England where we sampled many scones - the scones at Dandelion are as good as any we had in Cornwall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday brunch was uninspired.LancastersBowlVIPDined on 9/28/2014The brunch menu is weak, and the execution weaker. Very mediocre dishes and drinks.Special Features:
- Philly WeekendOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/28/2014We spent the weekend in Philadelphia for my wife's birthday. On Sunday we were looking an interesting brunch destination. The Dandelion was recommended by someone at The Ritz Carlton. And we couldn't have enjoyed it more, the crowd and food was eclectic - and enjoyable. British breakfast favorites as well as interesting preparations of American favorites were on the menu. It was a very unexpected experience.Special Features:
- Hits and MissesJoeyDined on 9/27/2014Interesting idea - a restaurant built on British cuisine. Highlights were well executed and tasty Fish and Chips (both fried in beef fat and it makes for a delicious, crispy fried dish) and delicious Sticky ToffeePudding. The room had a quirky feel that captured a comfortable, well-worn country pub but the service was cool and distant. We enjoyed the food but our evening seemed very business-like.
- Tasty Food, a bit Rushedjesh19121Dined on 9/27/2014We really enjoyed our meal here. All of the food we ordered (Fish 'n Chips, Steak 'n Chips, Dandelion Salad, Smoked Salmon and Trout pate) was delicious. One very minor quibble with the food was it was a tad on the salty side, but not too badly. They had great beer selection, and cask-conditioned ales as well, which was a big plus. The only thing keeping me from giving it a 5/5 stars was because it felt a little bit like they were rushing us through towards the end of the evening (possibly due to an over-eager busboy). Overall, though, it was great!Special Features:
- Bad serviceCaesar1VIPDined on 9/27/2014Food was ok but our waitress was rude and impatient. I have never left a review before but feel compelled to do so. I have eaten at this restaurant before and at several of Mr Starr's restaurants and have never experienced such bad service. I had friends in from out of town and wanted to take them to a place that had not only good food, but good service too. I picked the wrong place to take them.Special Features:
- Fun hot spot with great food, drinkantiqmeisterVIPDined on 9/26/2014Best Bangers and Mash with rich onion gravy, sticky toffee pudding, very knowledgeable sommelier, people really enjoying themselves........Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousDavidDined on 9/25/2014My second time here and better than ever! This time came with my daughter and wife and were kindly sat at a comfortable table with a great view of the city. They were more than considerate to my daughters needs and brought her dish out first. We were also invited to take our time even though it was a busy night. Wife agreed the food was marvelous: pork belly-wow, liver parfait, beef tartare, ceasar salad, fish n chips. I can't say enough about this place. The historic building and decor are worth seeing alone, offering out of towners like us a real Philly feel (even though it's a British themed pub). Will be back again for sure! Try the Dark and Stormy cocktail!Special Features:
- Second visit. More impressed.SnowVIPDined on 9/24/2014Excellent good, amazing service. Happily go back. The half roasted chicken was my favorite. The fish and chips looked good, by tiny portion of fish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection!SvaroopiDined on 9/21/2014Warm, welcoming staff. Love the decor, the curb appeal, the food & drink. We definitely will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2 time did not disappointOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/21/2014This was the 2nd time we came with the same group and we all had the same wonderful experience as the first time. I think this will be our spot to celebrate our girls birthday brunches.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.