124 South 18th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thedandelionpub.com/
- Phone: 2155582500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: English, Gastro Pub, British
- Executive Chef: Robert Aikens
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Meg Torpey 2672383649
A word from The Dandelion
London's culinary revolution comes to Philadelphia with this unique gastropub. Cozy rooms and intimate bars create a storied, Old World aura, while updated seasonal takes on British food make up the menu. In keeping with tradition, our casks and tap craft beers are always rotating, a proper afternoon tea service has a sweet and savory menu and classic family-style roasts are served on Sundays.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Dandelion reviews from OpenTable diners
398 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (214)neighborhood gem (209)good for groups (153)great for lunch (141)special occasion (129)great for brunch (111)hot spot (103)romantic (97)vibrant bar scene (97)late-night find (37)notable wine list (24)kid-friendly (22)great for outdoor dining (21)scenic view (20)Show More
- pleasantly surprisedjpddsVIPDined on 9/14/2014i've been to dandelion a couple of times, but this time i was pleasantly surprised with the food. for some reason, it seemed to be much better than previously. food was already good to begin with, but this time it exceeded my expectations. service was great too. our party had a blast and we all very much enjoyed our food.Special Features:
- Food was exceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/14/2014We went for brunch and the food and service was exceptional! One of the best meals I've ever had in Philly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was not "Star" serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/14/2014All 6 of us enjoyed our meal. Food quality and taste was the same as times before. Service was not good and frankly disappointing for being a Steven Star restaurant. Expectation of his restaurants are not only great food but great service. Certainly Dandelion this time and to some extend the time before did not meet the expectation. If you have company and want to make sure the experience is SUPERB all around, I would pick Parc in this neighborhood for a great brunch and much much better service. Also, just a minor note: bread basket was not as diverse and as good as before. Clearly the baker is not the same.Special Features:
- Delicious & Convenient!NicoleDined on 9/14/2014The food is decent. Coffee was a little strong or the cream was a little weak. Scones are the BEST! The ambiance is AMAZING! So cute! And you can make reservations so that is exciting. :)Special Features:
- Dinesalot2VIPDined on 9/13/2014brought friends with us from London england and they loved it!!!Special Features:
- DandelionOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014Service is always impeccable here, food was just as good. It is expensive but well worth it.Special Features:
- AccommodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/13/2014We had a large group and due to the rain ran a bit late, but they still allowed us to order off the brunch menu and took great care of us. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A taste of EnglandOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/12/2014If you are looking for a taste of England, The Dandelion is a must. Great ambiance, reminiscent of an English pub/restaurant in the heart of Philadelphia. Service is excellent and food is delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBarbDined on 9/11/2014Love this place. It's cozy, food is comforting, never feel rushed.Special Features:
- Back at the Dandelion PubwebsterDined on 9/10/2014I returned to the Dandelion for the second time in a week and this time was even better than the previous time. Kudos to Jillian, our server. What I most appreciated was that we were not rushed and when I told Jillian that we hoped we could take our time, she was very gracious in saying that was "absolutely fine." The ambiance is still a bit noisy but one van get used to it, depending where the table is. The service was especially attentive this time.Special Features:
- Great for group lunch!KashDined on 9/8/2014Awesome food, refreshing cocktails, and the right ambiance for a group get-together. Our group of seven was seated on the 2nd floor by the window and it was perfect!Special Features:
- great brunchbrileyDined on 9/7/2014Stopped by the Dandelion with my fiance's parents and siblings for a quick brunch before we had to head to the airport. It was perfectly casual (since we were so hungover from a wedding we needed something easy) and the food was great. The beet and salmon appetizer was divine. We will definitely be back next time we're in Philly!Special Features:
- Dining DelightLou28DawnVIPDined on 9/6/2014This was my first visit to The Dandelion and my wife and I both found it wonderful. The atmosphere was warm and friendly, the service was great from the hostess through the numerous members of the wait staff that supported our waitress. The waitress was very attentive, without being intrusive, knowledgeable, personable, and professional. The food was delicious beginning with the warm bar olive appetizer and ending with a newly created dessert and everything in between. The wine list was very good and there creative cocktails that were equally as good. I highly recommend The Dandelion and intend to return very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal & atmospherembweinDined on 9/5/2014My parents were in from out of town and this was a great spot to take them! We all enjoyed our food (we had a hard time deciding… lots of great options!). Great service. Our waitress was very friendly, funny, and helpful with the menu. Loved the atmosphere of the restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- websterDined on 9/3/2014I always enjoy The Dandelion. This time (September 3) the service was outstanding, as was the food. The issue for me is always the noise. I would love it if such a great restaurant could have 3-5 "quiet tables." The absence of quiet,however, won't keep me away from going again very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- English pub with extraordinary foodMarkDined on 8/30/2014I never thought I had food issues until now. I'm sure that we all have had good or perhaps great food before. However, the sauce on the fig cake dessert will make you want to smear it all over your body so that every pore can drink in/absorb/enjoy this remarkable toffee sauce. Now that I have that covered I'll move on to the review. The establishment is a quaint English style pub. Make reservations early. There are few outdoor tables available and the remaining seats are on two floors but the interior can get loud when busy. Any issue can be overlooked because the food is ... in a word ... amazing - with perfectly cooked fish and chips, or roasted chicken. The chef here is an expert at sauces... This establishment will become a staple!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodfoodjunkie11Dined on 8/30/2014just like eating at a pub in England except the food is much better at dandelion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Sweet Place to BegingerpupDined on 8/29/2014Many times going to a new restaurant you don't really know what to expect. From the moment you walk through the front door you're greeted with smiles and a very warm family feeling. The service was astonishing, and the food was fabulous. We could not have asked for a better start to the holiday weekend. We were there with a group of 7, and we all highly recommend checking this gem out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always good ..TheeDined on 8/28/2014Either it's for lunch, dinner or just drinks, it's a great place to hang out with your friends. Very relaxing and chill-out atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great Lunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/27/2014Fast, quick, great service, good food. The perfect lunch spot if you're strapped for time.Special Features:
- Fun AtmosphereglensidegourmetDined on 8/26/2014Lots of stuff to look at and a great personality. I was surprised by the fish and chips - I was expecting the entire meal to come in an open cardboard box, as I have had it in the UK, but they served it as a single piece of cod on a plate, with just the chips (French fries) in the box. The fish was very light - really excellent. I think the fish pate would have been better if they had served it with crackers or lighter bread instead of the heavy bread they served it with, but my companions loved it. They also need to work on their wine selection - it's limited. That said, the wait staff was friendly and knowledgeable, and it's a very fun restaurant, especially if you like beer. Overall, a great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've returned yet againsavannahtraveler2013VIPDined on 8/24/2014This was my fourth time at Dandelion in the last 6 months. This is all about what a restaurant should be. The whole dining experience was perfect in every way. From the ease of reserving a table, to the friendliness of the staff when leaving. This trip was extremely notable because of the number of people who attended to us, and the knowledge and attitude of the staff. I have never encountered one employee with an attitude. That is the way all restaurants should be. The decor is over the top--funSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful Dining in the CitySMCizMeDined on 8/24/2014I was greatly pleased by The Dandelion. The crowd is energetic no matter what time of day I have been there. The staff is abundant and all welcoming and pleasant (special thanks to Ronnie for her insight and individual attention) The selection is surprisingly big for such a niche establishment and even has a few classic standbys for the less adventurous diners in your group. There is a nice depth to the flavors that is unexpected from such simple dishes, but even down to the batter on the fish and chips, there was a complexity not generally expected from such a dish. Highlights included: Heirloom tomato salad, oysters, fish & chips, and the sticky toffee pudding. Seating note: Snag a table in the upstairs bar if possible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolidAlBDinerDined on 8/24/2014Had brunch, which is difficult to distinguish, but the food was solid. Great Bloody Mary. Service was excellent. Atmosphere was also very nice. Overall, it had the quality and theatre one expects from a Starr restaurant. Would recommend and return without hesitation. I'm curious about dinner options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun restaurantDisappointmentDined on 8/23/2014Dandelion is a fun and delicious restaurant choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid Starr ExperienceSteveDined on 8/23/2014Dining in a Starr restaurant is like Disney for adults - the themeing of the space is almost hyper-real. Service started a bit rough when our waiter went to another table that was just seated, but while we had been there for about 10 minutes with no service. After that all was well though. The homemade ricotta was probably one of the best things I've ever tasted. I went with a burger and it did not disappoint. Wife had cheddar scones in Stilton and spinach and that was really good as well. Early on a Saturday there were kids there, so this is child OK if dining early.Special Features:
- Perfect for lunch!!DrJonVIPDined on 8/22/2014Dandelion delights for lunch!! My daughter and I went for an end-of-the-week treat and this was perfect...the warm roast beef and panna cotta were to die for!!Special Features:
- Excellent food and service at lunchLeahVIPDined on 8/21/2014I have been to The Dandelion fir lunch several times and it is a great setting. The food is good, service attentive, and setting relaxing. The shrimp cocktail was plentiful for an appetizer portion and the risotto was excellently prepared. The ice cream we shared for dessert homemade and a great ending to the meal. Sometimes the sound level can get noisy bit that depends on where you sit and the hostess can help with that. Will definitely come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectGhazahDined on 8/20/2014LOVED it. This was my second time here and it was more impressive than a year ago. The menu continues to incorporate seasonal foods and allows for adventure and uncommon choices. Everything was cooked to perfection. The crab risotto was incredible as was the duck & chicken mousse- highly addictive. I will not wait so long to go back this time. Our server was a true pro-keeping an eye on us and without being interruptive, she checked in just as we needed.Special Features:
- Not thrilledMrsRamseyDined on 8/19/2014I really want to like the Dandelion, but somehow I am always disappointed by the food. It is just never flavorful enough, as though they are stuck in England circa 1970, when it was still just meat and two veg. Fortunately, like England of an earlier day, the beer is good, especially the Bombardier, and so is the atmosphere. I keep returning in the hope of finding the right dish. It is not the rabbit pie, the bangers and mash or the deviled eggs. And please, will everyone just stop serving food on flat pieces of slate! I am tired of having no place to prop my knife and watching my food roll onto the table.
- Dandelion is such a wonderful placeCElliotteDined on 8/19/2014Me and my colleagues have eaten at this resturant on several occasions and have never been disappointed. The menu selection and the professional staff always create the ultimate dining experience. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food is excellent BritishkenshapDined on 8/18/2014Everything here has been delicious. Our favourites are the burger, duck bolognese, fish and chips and the shepards pie. Their beer selection is top notchSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great pubDanbasiDined on 8/17/2014Great pub for diner on a sunny day. I was extremely impressedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Dandy ole PubDissapointingDishVIPDined on 8/17/2014Sat across from the bar hard to have a conversation @ 4 30pm "tea time" Shepards pie was interesting choice,, heavy gravy hid the taste of lamb it was a better dish in London but this is center city not across the pond $4 for a glass of lemonade was a bit much considering 1/2 the glass was ice First time I ate @ Dandelion, a popular place in center city..people constanly coming in even if they didn't eat The bar was constantly noisy & vibrant! And I understand there is a bar on each level. Limited menu at that hour..friend had the burger said it was very salty $16 Glad I saw the place seems to be very popularSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently solidbleubookDined on 8/17/2014Arrived for brunch and initially was not thrilled to be the only additional table seated next to a large group. But our server was terrific, we didn't end up feeling neglected at all. Food was the perfect combination of traditional and unique without ruining it. For example, our oysters had a dill pickle mignonette sauce. (Which worked beautifully.) Also appreciate the availability of a very good scotch for the end of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but latedinneranddrinksDined on 8/16/2014Dinner and drinks at the Dandelion were great. Great ambience. This was a special occasion and we were a large party (8), so I was sure to book the reservation weeks in advance and to confirm with the restaurant that they would be able to accommodate us. I was assured it would not be a problem. However, on the night of the reservation, we had to wait over 40 minutes for our table. Not only was this disappointing, but I had hoped that the restaurant would comp us some part of our bill, or even a round of free drinks--they did not. Overall we were so happy with the service provided by our waitress. She was friendly, knowledgeable, and the food was great. But the way our reservation was handled makes me hesitant to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Dandelion is always GreatBLKcustomerDined on 8/16/2014Our family loves the Dandelion. My daughter requested we go here for her birthday. The service is always excellent and the food is fantastic. Nice selection of beers and other drinks. The only problem on this visit was the group of abut 18 at the table beside us. One individual in this group was very loud and distracting.Special Features:
- post-theater mealfoodmaven238Dined on 8/16/2014This was my first visit to the restaurant, which I shoes primarily for its location (near theater and hotel). What a pleasant surprise-nice atmosphere, good food, but the best part was the staff. Knowledgeable, very friendly and accommodating without being the least bit intrusive. Loved the beer list, am still thinking about the homemade ricotta appetizer, and very reasonable pricing-all in all it was a really good experience. Would recommend this to anyone.Special Features:
- Great Food, Bad SoundlikegoodfoodDined on 8/14/2014I took six visitors from out of town to the Dandelion on a Thursday evening. We had a 7pm reservation and when we arrived, the bar area was packed while I waited for the others. Soon, the others arrived and we were seated promptly. The wine list impressed the group, who are all avid wine drinkers. The menu was interesting, and the food was delicious. The service was very slow, considering it was a Thursday night. In addition the noise level was way too high. I could not carry on a conversation with all of our group. In conclusion, I would recommend this restaurant for 2-4 people. There are lots of steps and we had 6 people in their 70's. I did not hear about an elevator but there may have been one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a little noisy but really greatfrancesVIPDined on 8/13/2014It was quite loud, but they have great decor & tables/chairs. It's really different, and it's very british despite the fact that everyone is an american. Great bar menu, great selection of beers, decent wines, and really interesting cocktails. The beef tartare, whelsh rarebit, oysters, and fish & chips were to die for. The crab risotto was decent, but I'd 100% definitely go there again. reasonable pricing.Special Features: