124 South 18th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thedandelionpub.com/
- Phone: 2155582500
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: English, Gastro Pub, British
- Executive Chef: Robert Aikens
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, High Tea, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Meg Torpey 2672383649
A word from The Dandelion
London's culinary revolution comes to Philadelphia with this unique gastropub. Cozy rooms and intimate bars create a storied, Old World aura, while updated seasonal takes on British food make up the menu. In keeping with tradition, our casks and tap craft beers are always rotating, a proper afternoon tea service has a sweet and savory menu and classic family-style roasts are served on Sundays.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
The Dandelion - Best Restaurants in Center City ›
The Dandelion reviews from OpenTable diners
422 reviews since March 30 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (217)neighborhood gem (205)good for groups (158)great for lunch (144)special occasion (143)great for brunch (129)vibrant bar scene (108)hot spot (108)romantic (94)late-night find (46)notable wine list (29)kid-friendly (25)great for outdoor dining (22)scenic view (19)Show More
- Go for the Ricotta!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/25/2014The house-made ricotta is probably one of the best things I've ever eaten. Anywhere. Ever. It's served with crispy, toasted pieces of sourdough. It spreads like butter. It's light. It's fluffy. It's absolute heaven. It is what drove me to write this review, in all honesty, and the sole reason I will come back to The Dandelion. If this place ever closes down, I might cry because I'll never get to taste the ricotta again. Get it and thank me later. The rabbit pie was great. Highly recommend it. The fish and chips were good, but they weren't the best I've ever had. Next time we go, we'll probably try a couple of different entrees, but I will ALWAYS go back for the ricotta.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- i can't get enough of this placerissDined on 7/25/2014everything is amazing and consistently on point every time. my only problem is i want to order the whole menu each time, and it's a struggle to narrow it down to just one entree. Especially when my fiance refuses to share because his is just too good to share with me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lunch with characterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014A unique setting with great food. The mussels were especially wonderful. Our waiter was really helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely eveningPhilly41477Dined on 7/24/2014We had a wonderful, romantics evening over cider and fish and chips at the dandelion. We started with the dandelion salad, which was out of this world. The fish and chips were some of the best I've ever had, although the chips were a bit too salty for my taste. We capped it off with a delicious pot of loose leaf tea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceIluvphillyDined on 7/24/2014We had tickets to see "The Beatles" and the Philadelphia Orchestra so I thought dinner at an English pub would be the perfect dinner spot and we were not disappointed. From the moment you approach the building you get in the mood. I had asked for a nice table as it was for my husband's birthday and we were coming with friends. Dandelion gave a lovely bay window table with a view of the skyline. Our server was very knowledgeable, helpful and responsive and didn't barge in right at the climax of your story to ask, "How is everything?!" Our guests all said they wanted to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Complimentary and Curious CuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Great, intriguing food! British gastro-pub set in a well-restored Philadelphia townhouse. Waiter had great recommendations and the managers checked on our table several times throughout the meal. Wonderful drink selections that complimented our meal very well.Special Features:
- Energetic scene, good foodJPTWDined on 7/22/2014I was expecting something more from a Steven Starr restaurant. Food was good, but not great. Drinks were fabulous and hip scene in room with the bar. Risotto was too greasy, but olives were tasty as was the bread. The rest of the food was OK. I don't know if I would go back for the food. I liked the atmosphere and the drinks so would be a good stop to hang at the bar for driniks.Special Features:
- OKOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/20/2014The food was just OK, notting to write home about.
- Delicious!JennDined on 7/19/2014The food was fantastic. Our group mainly stayed with the English theme with fish and chips and the bangers and mash, but gave high marks! I had the skate and it was to tasty. Good bar menu and the Dog Room bar is really cool. Would recommend!Special Features:
- one of the best philly restaurants!JeslynDined on 7/19/2014you can't go wrong with the dandelion--great service, amazing food, and a spectacular atmosphere.Special Features:
- Enchanting Corner HouseSamplingDined on 7/18/2014This is the second time I have visited The Dandelion and must say it never ceases to impress me. Every aspect of the restaurant from the hostesses at the entrance, seamlessly confirm your reservation, to the service at the table, food and ambience. It's almost like watching a well rehearsed ballet dance where every element moves flawlessly to create a great evening. We were seated in the nicest cozy, corner table by the fireplace in a room filled with true British Pub spirit, this time I was able to share history of the restaurant with my date while we delighted in one of my all time favorites 'The British Cheese Board' HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT for an appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great but not perfectokayDined on 7/18/2014Everything about the Dandelion was great--the food was delicious, the atmosphere is incredible, the service was superb--however my one complaint is that the portion sizes were rather small for what I was paying. Reduce the prices a tiny bit or increase portion sizes and this would have been a 5-star dinner.Special Features:
- BurgermanVIPDined on 7/15/2014our second time here and the food iix great as well as the service. My only complaint is the atmosphere which is quite noisy and hearing our table mates was difficultSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Dandelion Delivers Exquistely!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/14/2014Behind a beautiful old-fashioned looking door, at the corner of 18th & Sansom, and with only a tiny marker announcing its name, one enters an intriguing restaurant in a sparkling, elegant old townhouse replete with high ceilings, a friendly first floor bar and an old fashioned bannistered stairway leading to the main dining rooms upstairs. The service is impeccable and the menu ingenuous and varied. The exquisitely prepared food exceeded our expectations and the private table requested was perfectly provided. Five stars plus! GallySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodloverVIPDined on 7/12/2014great upscale "English pub" with interesting appts , Try the beets with goat cheese, my husband never eats beets as he felt they are too sweet but he ate these all up. Pate was great as was the hamburger and fish and chips. Great and varied beer selection with mini flight of their casks. Noisy but fun and as we are in our 60's and this is a place for mostly 30 yr olds we enjoyed the liveliness of the place. Will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chefmerlinoDined on 7/12/2014The only problem was the noise level. When we first came in, it was not too crowded and it was very pleasant. Shortly before we left, the entire floor was filled and the noise level was bad. It was very difficult to have a conversation with each other and our waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014I enjoyed the chicken and my wife enjoyed the fish and chips. Our drinks and service were excellent as well. It was a great experience.Special Features:
- A bit of England on SansomeLMM377Dined on 7/11/2014The Dandelion was wonderful from the moment you step through the door. We waited at the bar for our reservation and the bartenders were both super attentive and helpful allowing us to sample the different beers on tap. Our table was ready at the exact time of our reservation and we had a wonderful table on the second floor with an waitress that knew the menu inside and out. She made great suggestions and my husband loved the rabbit pie, our friends loved the burger and the chicken I had was moist, well spiced and cooked to perfection. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible GastropubRTShadyVIPDined on 7/11/2014The wonderful atmosphere and decor are only eclipsed by the delicious food and the attentive service. I had the deviled eggs (tasty with a hint of spice), the steak and chips (meltingly tender steak, crispy chips, and an oniony watercress salad), and the sticky toffee pudding (make sure to save room for this dessert)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite for business lunchGrantgirl1Dined on 7/11/2014My favorite place for a business lunch. Food is good, ambience is nice and service is decent. Sometimes service/servers can be a bit detachached and rote.Special Features:
- The Dandelionrestaurantking28Dined on 7/10/2014Great menu! I have been there many times and I am never disappointed.Special Features:
- Dandelion - Always Tastes GreatPerfectVIPDined on 7/10/2014I often take clients to Dandelion and this past time was no exception to the excellent and friendly service, and very well prepared food. I find that a wide variety of clients enjoy having luch and dinner at Dandelion.Special Features:
- Great time,Great food, Great drinksbabybette1VIPDined on 7/9/2014Great time. Great drinks, great food. I would definitely make this a regular place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch--helf full cocktailsNicelunchskimpycocktailsDined on 7/9/2014I took my sister from Texas for lunch and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and the food. The waitress was friendly but my complaint is that since they do not open the upstairs bar at lunch time, the waitress must carry the martini glasses up almost 2 flights of stairs. She was proud that she did not spill any of our drinks however as she placed the drink down the garnish fell off and she did not offer to replace it. She was proud she did not spill the drink but that would not have happened because the small martini glass was only half full. At $12 a drink and only a half sized drink so we wouldn't spill, I felt cheated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Grill cook needs upgradingmwneilDined on 7/9/2014I like this restaurant and have been there several time for business lunches but this time at lunch the hamburgers were not close to coming out as ordered. Medium was rare and medium rare was raw. They redid the raw hamburger and it came out well done. By the time I received the redone burger everyone else had finished eating. It is a $16 hamburger so they should get it right.The steak in the salad was almost raw. The risotto portion was so small that my friend had to order more food. Oh well.
- Rather a Bar than a RestaurantLBrandsDined on 7/8/2014The food was good, the restaurant was a loud for what I thought was a cozy, homey place by reviews. I found it to be more of a bar scene for a Tuesday night than a place to go for my father's 58th birthday. I really liked the decor and theme but that was overpowered by the volume. The service was excellant by the waiter. The bus boy swooped in and took our appetizer before we were finished and then dropped a peice of the ricotta bread on my bag. Hardly apologized and just stumbled away. It was awkward and did interfere with what I would have said was a quality dining experience. I also noted it was a birthday on OpenTable and asked for a little celebration, the request didnt happen and I couldn't get a hold of the hostess to remind her.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was average but ambiance goodPattiDined on 7/7/2014Maybe it was what we ordered, but we were expecting food that was better. Service was great.Special Features:
- We loved the Dandelion!NatFoxDined on 7/6/2014The ambience was really amazing- and the food was spectacular. Steven Star hasn't let us down yet! We will most certainly be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!KManariDined on 7/6/2014My husband and I had a wonderful brunch there while my parents watched our son. I had the bagel and lox and he had the fish and chips. My dish was just what I wanted it to be! My husband had the best fish and chips I've ever tasted --the fish was so light and fluffy. We also got to sit near a window a bit tucked away upstairs and it was perfect. I also ordered the assorted fruit bowl and haven't stopped telling people about it. There was a mixture of mint and reduced honey stirred in with the fruit that made it very unique and delicious. It also wasn't just melons. I can't wait to go back and try more items on the menu. Our server was also wonderful and very helpful!Special Features:
- Great ExperienceCarolSDined on 7/5/2014Took my friend visiting from Ohio here for his first Philly experience. It was very clean, the food was phenomenal, and the ambiance was perfect. Our waiter was great. He was very genuine and was very attentive to us. We definitely agree, we would come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedphillyfoodloverDined on 6/30/2014I've eaten at dandelion many times and love it. But this time, the grilled salmon was ordinary and the server was indifferent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great in every wayGeryDined on 6/29/2014We really enjoyed The Dandelion. The ambiance and layout of the place is just special. It has a European feel to it with little rooms and multiple cozy bars. Lots of windows done with great window treatments. The food was great and service first rate. One of the best places in Philadelphia and we've been to most.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/28/2014had a good experience, great cheese plate. Good portion size, nice waitress! They did bring our main course out too early while our appetizer was still out and the table was small so that was awkward, but I think it may have just been a communication error.Special Features:
- Awesometrainman1986Dined on 6/27/2014First time in Philadelphia, my girlfriend and I decided to go prior to a ghost hunting tour. The food was awesome. The fish and chips was some of the best I had. The fish was great the chips were cooked to perfection. My girlfriend had the Macaroni and cheese.. And according to her it's definitely top 3 worthy (she loves her Mac and cheese). For dessert the specialty is their pudding. We split chocolate Guinness pudding and if I come back to Philadelphia I'm getting that pudding. It was among the best chocolate desserts I have ever had and I love my chocolate desserts. For anyone who comes to Philadelphia, whether it's lunch or dinner you have to come to the dandelion. Solid beer, great entrees and phenomenal dessert .. Nothing better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MikeDined on 6/27/2014Great Friday evening drinks & dinner spot. Vibrant bar scene & quiet dining options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A pretty good spotAhar122Dined on 6/22/2014The food is delicious, but very expensive for what you get. It's also kind of strang that all of the dishes are served on wooden slabs instead of plates. It seems like they're trying too hard to be quirky and modern which doesn't really tie in with the setting which is very old English traditional. I would go back, but I'll make sure to save before I go. $20 for fish & chips is a bit priceySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Dandelion is NO WEED!Palmer3465Dined on 6/22/2014Another fantastic visit to Dandelion. The service, food and decor are amazing. The staff is very friendly and we enjoy the food tremendously. The Bloody Marys are terrific and the bubbles and squeak are delicious. My wife and I really like dining here. We make it a point each visit to Philly to visit Dandelion.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014We had 9 for dinner and they accommodated us very nicely and the food was excellent. No one had a bad meal!Special Features:
- Delightful!!beatnguVIPDined on 6/19/2014Food is delicious, service is excellent, drinks are great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved itContessa55VIPDined on 6/18/2014My friends and I dined here on a recent weeknight and it was a hit. We sampled the deviled eggs, housemade ricotta, fish and chips, crab risotto, and the grilled striped bass special, and the sticky toffee pudding for dessert. It was all very good. Service was great too. It was pretty quiet when we arrived but got very busy (and loud) by the time we left. Fun place, highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.