The Dancing Crab
4615 Wisconsin Ave.
Washington, DC 20016Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
The Dancing Crab
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://thedancingcrab.com/
- Phone: 2022441882
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday, Wednesday: 4:00 PM to 10:00 PM
Thursday: 11:00 AM to 10:00 PM
Friday and Saturday: 11:00 AM to 1:00 AM
Sunday: 11:00 AM to 10:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Italian
- Executive Chef: Michele Lisi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout
- Entertainment: Live music every Friday and Saturday night from 8pm-midnight
A word from The Dancing Crab
The Dancing Crab, a Washington Institution for over 39 years is family owned and operated and has been serving their customers the freshest and largest hard shell blue crabs from world renowned Maryland's Chesapeake Bay's Eastern Shore. Known for their many famous visitors, this is the only true Maryland Style Crabhouse in Washington DC. Be prepared to have fun when planning a visit, especially with the phenomenal lunch and dinner Specials prepared by Our Famed Executive Chef, Michele Lisi...Enjoy live music on Fridays and Saturdays, incredible Happy Hour Specials Monday-Friday that includes Tuesday's 1/2 bottle wine nights. This upscale hole in the wall, is sure to bring joy to you and your guests. We pride ourselves in serving the freshest seafood. Once we sell out of our fresh seafood on any given night, our Kitchen closes until the next day delivery.Continued
Come dance, drink, and indulge yourselves!
Come dance, drink, and indulge yourselves!
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
The Dancing Crab reviews from OpenTable diners
- Crabs were tasty! WaitressWelovecrabsDined on 11/8/2013Crabs were tasty! Waitress exceptional! Live music appropriate!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- perfect for my birthday dinnerdetailistDined on 10/19/2013Admittedly this is not a fancy, expensive, special occasion restaurant -- but it was just what I wanted. Unfussy, simply-prepared whole delicious lobster. So good I nearly ordered a second one; but finished my daughter's instead. Other items: crab cakes - crispy & tasty, tho not large; mussels - also tasty; corn (broiled) - a bit dry; asparagus (broiled) - a welcomed surprise item. Nice selection of beers. Service was friendly, accommodating, entirely a pleasure. Had it been warmer, we would've definitely sat outside on the front porch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and experienceDonnieVIPDined on 10/18/2013New location has a slightly different feel, but the good is great and service was fantastic. New owner has kept the spirit I remember from years ago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ANNACCttDined on 10/12/2013ANNA was a wonderful servicer. She was very polite and professional. The Lobster was great!! I would go back .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always funEatsDined on 9/28/2013Go planning to get messy if you want the crabs - always delicious and fun with a group.Special Features:
- Well Done!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/10/2013We started with crab/artichoke dip that was rich, creamy and delicious paired with the grilled bread. Perfectly cooked crabs that slid out of the shell effortlessly more than compensated for the well-cooked but under-seasoned filet mignon. Attentive staff, prompt service, great meal and a half-price bottle of Cakebread ($34.50) made this a fantastic dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Informal atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/7/2013The place to go for crabs. Relaxed and informal atmosphere. The restaurant is investing in very good bands, so it is also worth going for drinks and to listen to very good local bands that appeal to all ages. I go regularly with friends to see DC Choro Circle performing for great Brazilian music and dancing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DC Visitors looked forward to it -SpecialDined on 8/10/2013Visiting the DC area one just has to include crabs for a dinner. Friends told us about the Dancing Crab and we thoroughly enjoyed the food, service and overall experience. Next trip to the area, we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome crabs!DisappointedDined on 7/27/2013We wanted some crabs and didn't want to go to Maryland. This place was great and was located in the district!!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Crab Feastnew2MDDined on 7/20/2013Went with out-of-town friends for blue crab. Really enjoyed the food and the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trying HardhappyDined on 7/12/2013This restaurant has been a staple in the D.C. area for many years. The new owner is clearly trying hard to bring more variety to the menu, and for the most part is succeeding. Our waitress although helpful, seemed like she was automatic pilot. The thrill was gone. The good was good but not fantastic for the prices. There was a musician playing a guitar and singing that seemed to overpower the size of the room. All in all I think if what you are looking for are crabs and fresh seafood, the Dancing Crab is still an experience you will enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent Food, Odd PricingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/4/2013Food was decent but very expensive for what you actually got. $21 for a crab cake salad that came with 1 crab cake? Our server recommended the kids crab cake for $7 which was the same size, don't understand the costing. Also our calamari appetizer was good however not $18 worth, maybe only about 5-6 ounces. Crabs were good and reasonably priced maybe this should be reflected on the rest of the menu.
- Crabs!nileDined on 7/4/2013I had learned that this restaurant had changed hands after nearly 40 yrs and I was concerned it might have changed in quality, but it is still a great place with great servers and wonderful seafood. Steamed crabs done properly, get the mussels for an appetizer, in their shells and a sauce, they are served with bread for dipping, ask for more bread, the sauce is fabulous. There's a closed circuit wide screen tv showing the kitchen action, and more screens for sports. sit inside or out.Special Features:
- Blue Crab HeavenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/3/2013Treated our grand daughters to their first blue crab cracking contest in grand style! Met our expectations fully and deliciously!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, poor serviceMarkVIPDined on 6/20/2013There were eight of us. The service was abysmal for the first hour or so. Food and drink orders weren't filled, and those that were filled took too long. Once management realized we were being neglected, they stepped up and things improved considerably, and the rest of the evening went fine.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't have 2 of the 4 beersOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/16/2013Didn't have 2 of the 4 beers on tap. Also charged full price rather than giving the special price which was 3 times as expensive
- Same Great Place 30 Years Later!1040UnionDined on 6/15/2013I spent way to much time at the Dancing Crab in the mid 70s to mid 80s -- something about the allure if delicious crabs and pitchers if beer. Ate here again 30 years later on a trip to DC with my family. Crabs were still delicious, service still friendly, and beer still cold. We all gad a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, relaxed, reasonably priced!OpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 6/14/2013The Dancing Crab reminded me of a seafood restaurant that you would find down on the Jersey Shore. Not pretentious, great, fresh seafood, reasonable pricing, and no need to fear getting elbows deep in crustaceans. We started with the New England Clam Chowder which was a great choice and shared a seafood platter for two. The crabs were meaty and sweet, all three kinds, the lobster was the biggest "2 pounder" we had ever seen (had to have been a good 3 to 4 pounds...the claws alone were the size of a steak) and so tasty, the oysters were spot on. You just can't beat the amount of food that you get for $55. The wine prices are extremely reasonable as well. We will definitely be back. Simply put, delicious and simple seafood!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- feeling crabby!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/31/2013If you are in the mood for DMV-specialty blue crab, this is the place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dancing Crab FestBallet007VIPDined on 5/18/2013Dancing Crab always has the best Maryland crabs. Now they have remodeled and gone more upscale with the menu and the prices. Because they removed the booths and can now seat large parties the noise level is extremely high. Plus they play loud music. Talking is difficult. On the good side there are nice choices for those who don't want to bother with hammering the crabs -- like a tasty sounding risotto and sautéed soft shell crabs. I'll definitely be going back for more but probably at an early hour before the noise level rises.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so badSeattleDined on 5/16/2013Seems to be popular with locals. The medium crabs turned out to be very small (overpriced) and over-seasoned (salty.) We figured steamed lobster would be safe, but the gigantic creatures they served us were old and tough. The fish stew broth was good, but the fish in the stew was over-cooked instead of being thrown in at the last minute. They got our orders wrong, so the person who ordered the soup was finished before the lobsters arrived. Wine was served warm.
- nice surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/12/2013The menu is well balanced even though this is a crab place. Friendly and attentive staff and the chef put together a lovely list of Mothers day Specials. No one in our party even ate crabs and all the food was excellent! We'll be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experienceBwolfDined on 5/11/2013Crab and lobster was good. The filet mignon was surprisingly good for a seafood place. Live band was loud and made it tough for conversation in the restaurant. They do have a small outside eating area which would be great on a nice day. Service was very good. They had 40th anniversary specials which reduced the costliness of the meals. Good overall experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have gone to Dancing CrabOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/21/2013Have gone to Dancing Crab many times for Maryland blue crabs. Took a large group (10 people) for a special occasion. Crabs were okay, but this seems to be a tough season so far for good crabs and the DC can only serve what they get. Service was very good. Main downside of visit was what our group considered price gouging on the pitchers of beer. A pitcher of Bud Light was $16.00 and a pitcher of Pale Ale (premium beer) was $22.00. Adding the mandatory 20% tip for the large party, pitchers were $19.20 for Bud Light and $26.40 for Pale Ale. These prices are steep by any measurement, especially when you get less than 4 glasses of beer from each pitcher. Getting the bill with these prices was a downer to an otherwise nice afternoon.
- Just what was expected...noHPHTVIPDined on 4/14/2013Just what was expected...no more, no less. A good place for crabs and beer.Special Features:
- They were out of crabs, crabjillntVIPDined on 4/6/2013They were out of crabs, crab legs, branzino, and it took one hour and 15 minutes to get our dinner. They need to work out a lot of kinks here.
- We could not get clam shellOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/6/2013We could not get clam shell at 7:00. I should have written a special comments when I ordered.Special Features:
- Loved that there was livejillntVIPDined on 3/30/2013Loved that there was live music. Disappointed they ran out of crabs by 8:00 on a Sat night but the food was surprisingly good!Special Features:
- This restaurant met all ofOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/17/2013This restaurant met all of my expectations. The food and service were both excellent! Great place to have local seafood. They do it just right. Plus it is easy to get to via metro. I would certainly go back again.Special Features:
- we have enjoyed the dancingOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/8/2013we have enjoyed the dancing crab for many years and are so glad it's still in the neighborhood. the staff is pleasant and make you feel welcome. the menu has really changed over the years and now offers so much more than just crabs.Special Features:
- We went to see the Sean FlemingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/16/2013We went to see the Sean Fleming Band. The space was great. We only ordered a couple appetizers, but they were solid. The hush puppies were very good. The beer selection wasn't large, but they had Bell's Two Hearted, so we were set.Special Features:
- We were told that the DancingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/20/2013We were told that the Dancing Crab recently changed management/ownership and has been refurbished and there is a new menu. Food is well and simply prepared. Crab cakes and oysters were delicious. Fellow diners praised the clam chowder and lobster; lots of bones in the fish but good flavor. Coffee (at least the decaf) was not very good. Local crabs are not in season and the only ones available were small so we did not try those. Homey neighborhood atmosphere. Large TVs showed the football playoff games but without sound. Attentive, helpful, prompt service. The website is way out of date (referred to Hechingers as a nearby store) and is still owned by by prior owners/ management but changes are reportedly in the works.Special Features:
- An absolute must-visit placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/2/2013An absolute must-visit place for everyone who come to DC and who loves seafood! Even though it's a bit far away from the city center, but definetely worth taking a cab just to enjoy tons of crabs, lobsters, oysters and other crawling stuff. Thanks to the grils who taught us how to crack crabs and lobsters and for creating the atmosphere of fun and friendliness! Dancing Crab Platter was truly awesome!Special Features:
- Seriously? A crab restaurantTampopoVIPDined on 12/27/2012Seriously? A crab restaurant that has run out of crabs? We got the last dozen small and a couple mediums. Good crabs, but seriously, how can you run out of crabs?!?!?
- first time visiting and hadOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/1/2012first time visiting and had my two teenagers...abundant amount of food for the cost...i enjoyed the live band...size of the restaurant was a bit small so the echo of the music was sometimes loud...waitress was friendly. will go back next visit to dc