The Daily Dish, A Restaurant & Catering Company
8301 Grubb Road
Silver Spring, MD 20910Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
The Daily Dish, A Restaurant & Catering Company
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.thedailydishrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3015886300x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 8:30am - 12:30pm, Sunday: 8:30am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:30pm, Saturday: 12:30pm - 5:30pm, Sunday: 3:00 pm - 5:30pm; Dinner: Monday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm, Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jerry Hollinger
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We are a full service catering company that offers everything from corporate breakfasts to buffet lunches to French service dinners. We tailor our menus to your tastes, the season and the event. We are comfortable catering for parties as small as two and as large as 1,000. We can provide servers, chefs, bartenders and support staff. In addition, we will work with you to ensure all your needs are met, including furniture and linen rentals, flowers, music, an event planner and whatever else you may need. Please email email@example.com or call us.
- Special Events: Sign up for our newsletter for information on our Artist Evening, Beer Dinners, Smackdowns, Sign and Sup and more.
- Cross Street: East West Highway
- Public Transit: We are a five minute ride from the Silver Spring metro and a 10 minute ride from Bethesda metro. Take the Ride-On #1 from Friendship Heights or Silver Spring metro & the stop is directly in front of the Daily Dish on Grubb Road. Or the J1,2 or 3 between Silver Spring and Bethesda.Get off at East West Highway & Grubb Road. We are two blocks south.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: There is plentiful parking in the shopping center"s public lot.
A word from The Daily Dish, A Restaurant & Catering Company
At the Daily Dish, the focus is on comfort food that is seasonally inspired, sustainable and locally sourced. We believe that the Farm to Fork experience benefits everyone from small farmers to our diners. We visit local produce markets to purchase seasonal, fresh produce. Our pita, focaccia & pizza dough are made daily. Our salmon & chicken are organic. We use fresh, pasture fed beef. We make our mozzarella, pickles, sauces, dressings & vinaigrettes in house from scratch. The cocktail bar has local tap beer, fun cocktails and a varied wine list. We follow these principles to cater your special event.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
The Daily Dish, A Restaurant & Catering Company - Best Restaurants in Silver Spring ›
The Daily Dish, A Restaurant & Catering Company reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (22)great for brunch (18)fit for foodies (17)great for outdoor dining (16)kid-friendly (14)great for lunch (9)good for groups (6)special occasion (3)romantic (2)notable wine list (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Our local go to placeCCdinerVIPDined on 10/12/2014We regularly eat at the Daily Dish. It's great to have such a good restaurant so close. The menu regularly changes with what is fresh so you can eat frequently without getting bored. It's a friendly, pleasant experience--but with the great added value of interesting terrific food.Special Features:
- NewNeighborDined on 10/5/2014We were there on a Sunday evening and Daily Dish had just a couple patrons. The garage door, a great idea for good weather, was open and although we were obviously cold (getting jackets from our car) we had to request that they close it. We enjoyed our drink selections, nice wine choices, but each of us found our entrees bland. We had ordered four different entrees. The staff was very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced. Underfed.Marguerite1950Dined on 10/4/2014We had brunch here last summer, and the brunch was good and reasonably priced. However, dinner was another matter. The crabcakes were tiny and not flavorful. The scallop entrée consisted of three tasteless, small-medium scallops on dabs of this and that. At $8 a scallop, this dish was ridiculously overpriced. The roasted chicken was dry, but tasty. The wines we had were disappointing. The $42 Chablis was only memorable for its price tag.
- Wow!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/17/2014I went here not expecting much for a place in a strip mall, but WOW! I was blown away. The was list was carefully crafted and really had a very strong selection in all price ranges. Who would expect a Sancerre at a spot like this? All local taps on the lines and servers that actually seemed to know something about them... Really? Farm to table menu, I had the whole red snapper, cooked perfectly, so fresh I felt like I was back in Greece on my honeymoon again. My wife had a lobster salad, which she said was light and refreshing. We had a peach caramel pie with some local ice cream for dessert.. Amazing, will be back often!Special Features:
- Met ExpectationsJenn25Dined on 9/7/2014I like the Daily Dish because it´s located in a quaint and quite location. The service and food were good. I´m looking forward to going back.Special Features:
- Carbs & Brunch are your friendsGeorgeSDined on 8/31/2014Went in to carb load after a long bike ride from DC through Rock Creek Park. We split it all. Large plates of French Toast and Waffles, both with bacon and thick maple syrup poured all over, side eggs and breakfast potatoes. The patio was full and there were some people with their dogs, which made me want to come back with mine. Once we had a couple of bloody marys we had to call a friend to join us and drive us back home! Even though they were busy we didn't feel rushed. They poured us some good, strong coffee and kept our waters full, which we needed after the ride. Plenty of places to lock up the bikes too and a parking lot made this a worthwhile reason to come in from DC.Special Features:
- Hidden Treasureluv2eatDined on 8/30/2014One of our favorite places to eat. A real hidden gem. Someone told us about the great food and said we should try it. We're glad we did. We would eat there more often if it wasn't almost an hour from our home. We love the always changing daily specials. There is always something new to try. The service was excellent. The Owner's are always present making sure everything is right and the diners are happy. They were very accommodating with my food allergies. We have told our friends and they are now patrons. The front of the restaurant has a big garage like door they open on nice weather days. You feel outdoors without being outdoors. They also have a covered outdoor area if you want to be completely outside. We highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch & Bloody MarysILike2EatDined on 8/30/2014Had a fun brunch here. Started with a Bloody Mary from their Make Your Own Bar (which had some cool pickled asparagus & cherry tomatoes) and then we had their gravlax, which was tasty - the server explained how it was made in house and it came with heirloom tomatoes. My friend had a mimosa and eggs benedict with soft shells. The server was knowledgeable and friendly and talked about the crabs coming from the Chesapeake. It was busy, but casual. The bartender came over when we had a couple of questions about cocktails. I've made plans to go back for happy hour and dinner. Definitely a friendly, neighborhood gem to try again.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/24/2014Went for Sunday brunch and was very disappointed with the food.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/21/2014I went here because they offer organic, locally-sourced food and a friend of mine is very limited in what she will eat. The waiter was very accommodating to her food needs. When our food was delivered, my cheeseburger was well done instead of rare. I caught my waiter's eye but he continued to sweep up & it was 5 minutes before he inquired what the problem was - so long that I considered bringing my plate to the counter. My cheeseberger was ultimately replaced with a rare one & the waiter knocked off part of the price, but I was left waiting with no food while my husband and guest were eating. My husband's pizza was very good, as was my salad. The servings are quite small & pricey; I'm not sure whether I'll be back.
- Wonderful neighborhood placeskylonsevenVIPDined on 8/14/2014The Daily Dish is terrific restaurant, even if you are not from the neighborhood. But if you are lucky, they are neighbors. The food is fantastic, and the service friendly and helpful. Our meals were wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrunchClaudeDined on 8/10/2014The six in our party thoroughly enjoyed our Sunday Brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceSarahCDined on 8/3/2014Our waiter was amazing- he was so energetic, outgoing, thoughtful and funny- he kept us laughing the entire time! The good was good and so were the drinks that we ordered.Special Features:
- Would Try Again Based on the MenuIntelqubedVIPDined on 7/13/2014Went here for brunch. Sat at the bar, with a window view seat. It was a narrow restaurant but it was serviceable. They had a bloody mary bar which was actually pretty cool allowing you to customize your order and go to the bar to finish your options. I thought that was a good touch although I did not have one. The coffee was excellent as it was dark and rich. I ordered the Lox Benedict, which unfortunately, just ok. They use house smoked salmon which was not particularly flavorful or maybe it was because the flavor was overpowered by the spinach. The hollandaise sauce was also a bit bland. The service was ok although they tried to delete my reservation once I sat down versus giving me credit for the reservation.Special Features:
- A fun brunchNice2goDined on 7/13/2014We had never been to the Daily Dish before but when my husband won a gift card for the restaurant we knew we would go. A very pleasant experience. We went for Sunday brunch. Our service was excellent. Fun,informative waiter and a generally casual,mark yourself at home atmosphere. Very good Bloody Mary and a delicious frittata. Many good choices on the menu. We,d like to go again for dinner sometime.Special Features:
- 2nd time's NOT a charmrtn37VIPDined on 7/11/2014I tried this restaurant several months ago and was very underwhelmed. I decided to give it another try this past weekend and my opinion didn't change one bit. Food is mediocre and the setting is chaotic/underprofessional.
- The following 206 reviews are from the The Daily Dish, A Restaurant & Catering Company reviews archive.
- Nice, very nice!japrufrockDined on 6/19/2014Interesting menu, excellent food, pleasant service, bartender makes a helluva good martini... all in all a first choice place!!Special Features:
- gretchenVIPDined on 6/18/2014this is one of DC's best!!!! totally unprepossessing.... a wonderful surpriseSpecial Features:
- Wonderful Lunch!cparkVIPDined on 6/4/2014You would never imagine such a great gem would be found in this out of the way small strip plaza. The service was awesome and food great. I had the soft shell crab which was a bit on the small side but done to perfection. My lunch mate had the salmon salad and she could not stop raving about it. A quite large piece of salmon again done to perfection. This was my first trip but definitely not my last. I can't wait to go back for dinner!Special Features:
- ehhh....it was okBigWVIPDined on 6/1/2014There were a lot of good reviews on here, but the experience underwhelmed. It is a narrow restaurant, the tables are packed in very close together and the general ambiance is nothing special. It is very much trying to be a hip, locavore place, but it just doesn't quite manage to feel more than a bit bohemian. The service felt like they were struggling to keep up with the Sunday brunch crowd. The food, when it arrived, was fine. It didn't blow me away, but it wasn't horrible either. If it was closer to me, I can see going again. It wasn't objectionable, it just didn't wow me. Location matters - this place is hardly in restaurant row, less competition means it can get away with a few rough edges. Don't go out of your way.Special Features:
- Rock Creek Neighborhood CharmMowillDined on 5/30/2014We love this place. Very kid friendly and they have properly treated and local food. Highly recommend them!!Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerMaryVIPDined on 5/27/2014It was my mother's 84th birthday. Picked her and my father up from their retirement community and ran into traffic on Colesville Rd. When we arrived the host/waiter welcomed us warmly. We enjoyed splitting a salad and two of the entrees. We don't drink so didn't order any wine. Not a problem. They were gracious and treated us like valuable customers although this was our first visit. In the middle of our meal the power went out. The bill had to be hand done and we left in a downpour. All that being said . . .we'll be back. Thank you, The Daily Dish.Special Features:
- Mother's Day DinnerChevyDanDined on 5/11/2014Went there for mother's day. As usual the food was great. They have a nice variety of vegetarian as well as carnivore dishes. I like their wine by the glass selections.Special Features:
- Seemed overwhelmed on Mother's DayBigFanDined on 5/11/2014First, let me say I've never had a bad meal at Daily Dish. This latest evening we went was a bit of a disappointment, though, compared to their usual "very good." They did seem a bit frantic and overwhelmed on Mother's Day. Their rising popularity may have made for a bigger crowd than last year. Seems like they just needed more help that evening! While I understand this was perhaps an off night, for these prices I want a bit more care taken with the meal-- burger and 1/2 roasted chicken were tasty but dry, for example. The Daily Pasta dish was good (I forget the name of it) with a terrific sauce. Scallops were delicious, but only 3 of them. . . Great little place, though a bit pricey. I especially love lunch with friends there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousRealItalianDined on 5/11/2014Mother's Day brunch was outstanding and - the food so fresh and tasty. They were very busy - so the servers had their hands full - but remained smilingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014Still my favorite restaurant for crab cakes, and the first course of mussels with sausage is a good addition.Special Features:
- Who Knew?BowtieVIPDined on 5/1/2014Hidden in an otherwise unimpressive strip mall in a quiet unassuming neighborhood, is quite a find. The Daily Dish is a true find - organic, local farm, fresh, flavorful, innovative, and accessible to all palates. This is a restaurant that will become my new regular. Great wines, great specials, kid and dog friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty goodEmilyDined on 4/25/2014Good main courses, sides a little disappointing. Menu confusing. Overall good place.Special Features:
- Great Brunch!AllisonDined on 4/19/2014The brunch at the Daily Dish was awesome! I had the make your own bloody mary bar which was tons of fun :) and then the brioche french toast which was the highlight of the day. It was pretty sweet, so if thats not your thing then you may not like it as much but oh, it was delicious. The sugar crytalized on the outside of the bread so it was crunchy while being soft on the inside all at once. I would highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Do not order Mimosas for brunch.maarmianVIPDined on 4/13/2014Do not order Mimosas for brunch. Too expensive in a small glass. Breakfast food was OK, Don't like the concept of having to pay for jelly, peanut butter etc. Would be helpful if whole wheat or grain bread would be a choice.Special Features:
- Not this timetthechtVIPDined on 3/29/2014We have been to this restaurant 3 times previously and really liked it. But this time we weren't told that there would be a birthday party of about 40 people and we (4 of us) would be the only non-party table in the restaurant. The shouting, laughing and total chaos was unbelievable. And we were in the middle of it. We couldn't hold a conversation and the service was slow. I fault the restaurant for not closing to the public for this private event. It was a ruined evening.
- Consistently goodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/16/2014We have been many times, for lunch and dinner and have never been disappointed. The restaurant always gives you a personal feel, and the quality is something you can count on. this was my first brunch there. I was not disappointed.Special Features:
- Great brunch spotPZA2014Dined on 3/15/2014Outdoor seating and dog friendly and great food! Great spot!Special Features:
- Good for FoodieLoveFoodDined on 3/1/2014The food is high quality, source regionally and well prepared. The noise level on a Sat evening was high (90) Not so romantic as is modern chic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy but smallOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/28/2014The food was yummy but the portion was on the smaller size. I had the salmon and although the salmon piece was an OK size, the accompaniment was very small. Would have liked more veggies.Special Features:
- Those scones!DishitoutDined on 2/15/2014OMG - the scones alone are worth going back for! Buttery, slightly sweet, elevated by the butter and raspberry jam - my friend and I not only had them before our mains, but decided that we needed to each take some home! The cranberry scones (and I'm not normally a cranberry fan) were flaky and light, with the appropriate amount of denseness. I think our eyes may have rolled back into our heads in delight at the first bite. Our server was very nice, but a bit scattered. I had the egg sandwich on challah with bacon and smoked gouda - the egg/bacon/cheese components were delicious, but the bread was dry. It needed some moisture, whether some tomato slices or a light dijon spread of some sort - something! But, I will be back!Special Features:
- The Daily Dish is a greatmikebDined on 2/14/2014The Daily Dish is a great find in the neighborhood. Give it a shot and I am sure you will not be disappointed. Dishes are interesting, balanced and the proportions are just right. The tap is always fresh! The cocktails also are very good and make use of local/ regional offerings which grounds the place to the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- went for its Valentine's DayyumyumVIPDined on 2/14/2014went for its Valentine's Day 3-course dinner for $38. Oyster stew started the meal. It was creamy & came with several oysters. The half duck was nicely roasted, but disappointed because the skin wasn't crispy. my friend's steak was overdone, so the waiter quickly & without a problem, replaced it with one that was just grilled to the right degree of doneness. The flourless chocolate torte was not too sweet & very chocolaty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Last Saturday was the firstdifferentdinerDined on 2/8/2014Last Saturday was the first time I dined at The Daily Dish. I met some friends there for brunch. The service was great and the food was awesome. Everything was fresh and hot. I would recommend this restaurant for brunch on the weekend. We weren't rushed like you are in some restaurants when you are there for brunch. It's a very low key, funky place with local art on the walls. They also have a make your own bloody mary's bar on the weekend which was kind of fun. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to folks and I do plan to go back there for other meals in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Sunday Brunch444eastDined on 1/19/2014I rarely venture outside the District to dine with friends but brunch at The Daily Dish was definitely worth it. Perfect ambiance. Not too formal, not too casual. The service was efficient and the Eggs Florentine were divine. All for $18 including tip (without alcohol). Great deal. I will come back. 11 AM sunday was a great time. Noon was more crowdedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.