The Curious Grape
2900 South Quincy Street
Arlington, VA 22206Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Curious Grape
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://curiousgrape.com/
- Phone: 7036718700x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday
Lunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Saturday & Sunday
Brunch: 10:30am – 2:00pm
Dinner: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Delian DiPietro
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: If you'd like the entertainment to come to you, the Curious Grape offers private wine events right in your home or office.
- Private Party Facilities: Our Private Wine Room is perfect for business meetings, fundraisers, wedding receptions, special occasions or any wine oriented event. The room can accommodate up to 40 guests for a seated event or up to 55 for a cocktail reception (limited audio and video is available).
Contact our Events Manager to learn about more about our in-house offerings and minimums for certain days/times.
- Private Party Contact: Amanda Young (email@example.com) 703-671-8700x
- Special Events: On select Tuesdays, Wednesdays, & Thursdays from 6-8pm the Curious Grape holds wine tasting events in our Wine Room. For more information please check our website for an up-to-date calendar of events.
- Public Transit: The Curious Grape is located directly opposite the Shirlington bus terminal on South Quincy Street in Arlington, Virginia.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Metered street parking is available on Quincy Street and in the public lot opposite the restaurant next to the bus terminal. Meters need not be fed after 6 pm and on Sunday. Additional parking is available in the garage immediately behind the restaurant (entrance on Randolph Street). "Reserved" signs in the garage only apply weekdays until 6 pm. Restaurant patrons may park in any garage spots after 6 pm weekdays and anytime on weekends.
A word from The Curious Grape
The destination spot in Shirlington for those with a passion for food and wine, the Curious Grape offers a contemporary seasonal menu of American fare with locally sourced ingredients. Enjoy either full or half portions of selected menu items as well as over 400 wines and 100 craft beers from our store.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
The Curious Grape - Best Restaurants in Arlington ›
The Curious Grape reviews from OpenTable diners
156 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
notable wine list (116)fit for foodies (115)neighborhood gem (105)special occasion (52)romantic (33)good for groups (33)great for brunch (31)great for outdoor dining (24)great for lunch (22)late-night find (9)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (8)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/16/2014We go to this restaurant a lot because the food is very good, it is close by, they have a great wine/beer list and smaller portions for the beer. One of us isn't a big drinker, so he can have a taste of something really good but w/out having to have a whole pint of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Repeat performanceOliviaDined on 9/9/2014Once again, Curious Grape was wonderful. Always love the diversity of the food and the freshness. I also love the portion sizes and the choice of getting a half portion. Curious Grape always come through with exceptional food.Special Features:
- Love this placemsugostateDined on 8/31/2014The food is outstanding, really unique and locally grown. Portion sizes are perfect. Susan, one of the owners, is usually there and always great to recommend a good wine or food to eat. The wait staff are knowledgeable, attentive, and friendly. I really couldn't ask more from a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not recommendArlingtonFamilyDined on 8/30/2014Food was adequate . Service, however was terrible Servers were very rude. Out party of four was rushed from the time we sat down until When the server slapped down the check without prompting. The words "Thank you" were not in their vocabulary. So bad that it ruined the evening for us. It was not just our main server but anyone who came to the table to perform any task. Definitely would not go back
- Fantastic restaurant.JMSIP46VIPDined on 8/29/2014Great find in Shirlington . Food is excellent with very interesting, delicious appetizers , entrees and desserts . The salmon is among the best I have ever had and the appetizer halloumi fig is greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Curious Grape ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014This was a great restaurant, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of food. Could use a few more vegetarian options.Special Features:
- Excellent Find!KarloDined on 8/24/2014We just happened upon this restaurant while looking for one in the Shirlington area where we were to be staying in a hotel. The web site looked interesting, with a focus on wines. It turned out we could not have been happier with our choice. Not only were the wines of the best quality, but the food was creative, excellent, and beautifully presented. We will go back again the next time we're in the D.C. area, as this restaurant is a real gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good wine and food; skip dessert.lovelydayDined on 8/24/2014Overall good. Since it was Restaurant Week, we took advantage of the special price for starter/dinner/dessert. One starter was a delicious twist on figs, seared cheese, and eggplant; the other starter a nice fresh mozz and tomato item with good sauce and other veggies/fruits. Main courses were fine, but not special. Desserts were humdrum, with one dessert (too dry; seemed stale) cupcake. Wonderful wines and nice the way the menu is set up to guide on good wine for each dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed Celebrating My BirthdayTammyWVIPDined on 8/24/2014A great evening was shared with two other couples neither of whom had been to CG before. We all had a lovely evening - fun wine pairings excellent food, fine service. Fortunately they put us in a corner in the large back room since we did get a bit loud. The good news was since it was Sunday evening at the end of August the restaurant was not as full as usual. We also appreciate the wine discount to buy bottles - a nice perk.Special Features:
- Curious about the GrapeVanceDined on 8/23/2014We used to go to the original wine store and would buy wine & cheese for some years. Then it closed & came back in a new location as a restaurant, along with the wine & cheese store. The wait staff here are excellent & very helpful and make good suggestions for both wine & beer. The appetizers tend to be very large & lend themselves to sharing. The mussels are excellent & the tomato & mozzarella salad is also. The deserts also tend to be big & can be shared. The hazel nut mousse is outstanding & the peanut butter ice cream plate is wonderful. The lamb chops & steak are quite good, the halibut is served on a bed of black rice & it worth your attention. The pork ragu was short on pork and long on pasta. Coffee is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our area favorite!YumYumVIPDined on 8/23/2014We love Curious Grape - caring hosts are owners who oversee the dining experience. Great food and wines. Our pre-theater go-to place, however we've taken 10 for a special occasion and enjoyed their back room. The best dining in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for FoodiesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014Although the desserts could be better, the overall food selection is amazing - the presentation is wonderful and the food is really great to pair wines with - especially having a choice of 3 or 5 oz for wine. Nice selection of wines to take home in the shop area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues to ImpressPatvDined on 8/17/2014This was my 5th or 6th time at Curious Grape and again I was not disappointed. The menu is ever evolving and seems to be quite creative. Cold soups continue to impress. Grilled octopus was very tender. The Kampachi fish was excellent and the veal ragu my fellow guest had was outstanding.Special Features:
- A hidden gem of a restaurantNovaFoodieDined on 8/17/2014The Curious Grape is fantastic, they have an executive chef who is way more skilled than most of the executive chefs in the Northern Virginia area. All the food is amazingly well prepared and are artistic creations. I'm always surprised there's not a line out the door here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb brunchoysterVIPDined on 8/17/2014We came for brunch on August 17. Caught end of restaurant week offer. Every dish was superb. Service excellent. Extraordinary value, but even without the week's offer we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WondefulOsclagDined on 8/16/2014One of the best restaurants in the DC metro area. Food is amazing with first class world ingredients. Menu is very innovative and the presentation of the dishes is beautiful.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/16/2014Menu was innovative with many excellent choices. Fig appetizer was delicious. Fish was very tasty, well-cooked and moist. Service was a bit slow with wine taking too long to arrive. Good wine choices with small and regular glasses available for sampling and when you just want a little more, not a full glass. Outside dining was pleasant and not noisy. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!RichardDined on 8/15/2014As usual a terrific meal with a new fish dish (I think called hammidi) that was fabulous. Appetizer was the fried Brussels sprouts, also great. We have never been disappointed in the meals there. Suzanne and Kip are doing a terrific job!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDined on 8/15/2014Food was good, but I had called the restaurant to make sure they were serving their regular menu not just restaurant week menu and was told yes by the person who answered the phone, but that was not the case when we arrived. The service was awkward, waited to be greeted for some time, then greeted by someone who told us they were not our server but would get us drinks. The drinks took a long time (just beer and wine). The food was ok, but was hodgepodge of Greek mezze and American food, not exactly contemporary American. The lamb was so-so, but the chicken roulade was good.
- Disappointed.BroSoseDined on 8/14/2014Even during a Restaurant Week, I found the food overpriced and the service lacking. Out waiter set up spoons for our dessert before we had even had our entrees! We had already waited over 15 minutes for our appetizers and then waited another 20 before our entrees were out - and this is because we had to ask the waiter for them (he thought we had already had it). This tells you something - the kitchen was slow and the waiter just didn't check up on us much as he should. I'm disappointed. Not coming back here again.
- Hands On ServiceMinnieDined on 8/14/2014Food was Great. Enjoyed the hands own approach of owners & staff to make sure we enjoyed our Meal. Will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/8/2014The food is excellent and the chef loves to try new things to add to the menu, and it looks beautiful when it arrives. Our waiter was very knowledgeable about each dish. I love the fact that you can order half portions or a full portion dinner. The wine and beer list is outstanding. Also, if you mention that you going to the Signature Theatre (within walking distance down the main St.) they will make sure you walk out the door in time for the show.Special Features:
- No longer Curious about Grapes!PhillyTransplantDined on 8/4/2014I've heard so many good things about Curious Grape that I was excited to finally try it out! In short, I'm no longer Curious, and I'm not all that crazy about Grapes! The food was okay at best...I expected a little more and my expectations are fairly tame when it comes to food. I asked to sit in a quiet area of the restaurant and was told, rudely, "that area isn't open yet!" Ummm, at the time, I was the only guest (along with my friend). When business isn't exactly booming, you sit the customer wherever the customer wants to sit!!! The server was indifferent, inattentive, and not all that knowledgeable. Not much more to say, just unfortunately another overrated Shirlington restaurant with bad service. I'll stick to Clarendon.
- Impressive menuEman2uDined on 8/3/2014Menu has been upgraded. Is a little pricey, but is worth it! Outstanding food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful brunchaudreyDined on 8/3/2014My Mom and I had a wonderful brunch here last Sunday morning. We each ordered a starter and entree and all dishes were delicious and creatively prepared. A prime example is the cucumber soup. The bowl came with a 3x3 grid of little melon squares and frozen yogurt squares. The waitress then poured the soup around the squares table-side. The contrast between the sweet melon and cucumber soup was fresh and delicious. I like that you can order half portions for some items so you can try an additional item(s) on the menu instead of having just one dish. As with my last visit, the service was excellent. It is not the least expensive brunch place in shirlington but I think it was worth it; the food and service made the brunch even more special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, upscale casual!NoVAMamaDined on 7/30/2014Great wine selections, and the menu includes pairings! Cheese tray selections are fantastic. Server was attentive and engaging without being obtrusive. Food quality 4.5 out of 5. Will consider going back with a group or for a romantic dinner!Special Features:
- jillDined on 7/29/2014Have eaten here a number of times and always enjoyed it. This time the portions seemed larger, especially the half portions. My pork dish was quite salty/spicy - not to my taste - however, in the past I have thoroughly enjoyed everything I ate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Lunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/29/2014Glad Curious Grape is now open for lunch. It was a quiet atmosphere and the food was excellent.Special Features:
- EnteringNicknameisSillyVIPDined on 7/27/2014Kind of off the beaten tracks, but a great conversion underway from mainly a wine bar to a pretty decent restaurant. Not much ambiance, but food presented beautifully and very tasty. Cold soup was superb, as were the Eggs Benedict. Salad sides were a bit overgenerous with the salt, but edible and fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, great wineemilyDined on 7/25/2014Had previously been to the Curious Grape just for a glass of wine and some cheese, which was perfect - and which was also what brought us back to them! My boyfriend and I went back because we'd been meaning to (and because they had a groupon!), and were thoroughly impressed. The wine selection is quite large, and the food options are quite good - and mostly local. The atmosphere is that of a modern wine bar, with ample seating, and even outdoor seating (albeit this is maybe 6 tables?). I had lamb chops which were perfectly cooked, served with fennel and a cherry gastrique, my boyfriend had some chicken dish, with local mushrooms and marcona almonds which was DELICIOUS. Highly recommend them for a nice night out :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlexandriaOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/19/2014Wonderful menu, it was hard to choose because everything looked great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful choice in ShirlingtontingoldVIPDined on 7/19/2014As someone commented to me after one more very good dinner at The Curious Grape, it's a great choice in the Shirlington-Alexandria-Arlington area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is a gem!MINDYDined on 7/18/2014My husband and I had a reservation and wanted to sit outside, and were very happy to wait for a table to open up. The owners offered us a wine tasting while we waited, which we declined. Then there was a mix up with the tables and we ended up choosing to sit inside. Again, the owners were apologetic and comped us a tasty cheese platter. I had the pork ragu, which was delicious but had a kick to it, even though our server said it was not spicy. When the owner came over to check, he agreed it was spicy and took half of the cost of that dish off the bill. My husband loved his salmon, and the deserts we chose we off the charts. We had never felt so cared for and really appreciated and it made for an outstanding dining experience.Special Features:
- Predictably ExcellentCoyoteDined on 7/18/2014Another great meal - clever menu, good service, comfortable environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/15/2014My boyfriend and I bought a groupon for here and went one night during the week for dinner, the food was fantastic! We also got a bottle of wine which was very good as well. Our server was very friendly and made great recommendations for food, some of the half size entrees were on the smaller side, but we both got a half size entree and a half size appetizer and it was the perfect amount of food, along with the bottle of wine. Would definately recommend! There is also a bar and wine shop in the restaurant as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bob's reviewBobsreviewDined on 7/15/2014Enjoyable evening dining here before show at Signature Theater. Interesting menu to choose from - especially in the fish category. Our waitress was very friendly and accommodating. There really are no negatives - would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic SurprisePennyVIPDined on 7/13/2014The Curious Grape is off the beaten path in Shirlington Village, but well worth seeking out. I would say it is easily the best restaurant in that area. A recent dinner experience there left us shocked at the quantity, quality and outstanding preparation of everything we ordered. Our waitress was outstanding in her recommendations, especially the fried brussel sprout starter, Kampachi fish entree, and Cauliflower grits. One of us had the Halibut which was also fabulous, a huge portion and served on black rice. Wine list is impessive. Desserts delicious. This restaurant is really a gem.Special Features:
- DebiDined on 7/12/2014Food was very good- great salmon fillet and the tenderloin was quite good. The cheese plate we ordered was not delivered correctly, but the plate was still good.Special Features:
- GFI & Vegie OptionsOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/11/2014What a wonderful selection of delicious GF and Vegetarian, gourmet items - allowing my sister another wonderful dining option.Special Features:
- Excellent Dining and Wine TastingRandyDined on 7/10/2014We had an excellent dining experience that was preceded by a wine tasting session of Lemelson Wines from the Oregon Willamette Valley. Dry Riesling, Pinot Gris and three Pinot wines were offered for tasting. The dinner menu was especially interesting and the food was delicious. It made for a very pleasant evening as we were celebrating our wedding anniversary. We chose caviar and potato salad and grilled brussel sprouts as the appetizers and then had chicken roullade as the entrees. We closed the meal with chocolate mousse and coffee. The Curious Grape has an excellent wine list. Prior to dinner we participated in wine tasting offered by the Lemelson Winery which is located in the Willamette Valley of Oregon. We love Pinot NoirSpecial Features: