The Curious Grape
2900 South Quincy Street
Arlington, VA 22206Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
The Curious Grape
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://curiousgrape.com/
- Phone: (703) 671-8700
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday
Lunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Saturday & Sunday
Brunch: 10:30am – 2:00pm
Dinner: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Wine Bar, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Delian DiPietro
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: If you'd like the entertainment to come to you, the Curious Grape offers private wine events right in your home or office.
- Private Party Facilities: Our Private Wine Room is perfect for business meetings, fundraisers, wedding receptions, special occasions or any wine oriented event. The room can accommodate up to 40 guests for a seated event or up to 55 for a cocktail reception (limited audio and video is available).
Contact our Events Manager to learn about more about our in-house offerings and minimums for certain days/times.
- Private Party Contact: Amanda Young (email@example.com) 703-671-8700x
- Special Events: On select Tuesdays, Wednesdays, & Thursdays from 6-8pm the Curious Grape holds wine tasting events in our Wine Room. For more information please check our website for an up-to-date calendar of events.
- Public Transit: The Curious Grape is located directly opposite the Shirlington bus terminal on South Quincy Street in Arlington, Virginia.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Metered street parking is available on Quincy Street and in the public lot opposite the restaurant next to the bus terminal. Meters need not be fed after 6 pm and on Sunday. Additional parking is available in the garage immediately behind the restaurant (entrance on Randolph Street). "Reserved" signs in the garage only apply weekdays until 6 pm. Restaurant patrons may park in any garage spots after 6 pm weekdays and anytime on weekends.
A word from The Curious Grape
The destination spot in Shirlington for those with a passion for food and wine, the Curious Grape offers a contemporary seasonal menu of American fare with locally sourced ingredients. Enjoy either full or half portions of selected menu items as well as over 400 wines and 100 craft beers from our store.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
The Curious Grape - Best Restaurants in Arlington ›
The Curious Grape reviews from OpenTable diners
122 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (95)notable wine list (87)neighborhood gem (80)special occasion (36)good for groups (26)romantic (24)great for outdoor dining (17)great for lunch (16)great for brunch (16)vibrant bar scene (11)hot spot (6)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Nice adult night out.TeresaDined on 11/21/2014We chose this spot as an adult night out and didn't want to go into DC on a Friday night. The food was great, wine excellent, and a good crowd. They were hosting a wine tasting as well. I thought that the prices were a tad on the higher side, so just be prepared. Also, the separation between the wine bar/restaurant and store is a bit odd. Sit towards the back if you want that 'wine bar' ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third timeVanceVIPDined on 11/15/2014This was our third visit to the Curious Grape & worth the trip. Each visit has been on a Saturday & the place is always very busy on this night. Get a reservation since you can't walk in & expect to be seated. Our server was very good, congenial, & informative. We took advantage of the 10% off card when we left & bought a few bottles of wine. Give this place a try. Very solid American cuisine with some really good local beers, if you are not in the mood for wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic brunch!BrittDined on 11/9/2014While the ambiance is a bit lacking, the food is outstanding! The lavender french toast and the eggs and polenta are THE BEST!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lveatingoutVIPDined on 11/8/2014This is a terrific restaurant. Although located in Shirlington it could easily compete with places in DC. The food is always excellent (never had a dinner I didn't think was great), the service, the size of the restaurant, and the general ambience are all spot on. And, they offer half-portions of some of the entrees (particularly pasta), which is an appealing option, ditto the wines by the glass. Consistently excellent, I would highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Such a great place!!NeverGoingBackVIPDined on 11/1/2014The food was amazing! We'll definitely be going there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New FindCraigVIPDined on 10/31/2014Having lived and visited Shirlington many times, I only just discovered this fine restaurant and store. Our dinners were perfectly prepared and the wine selections were outstanding. My choice of a cheese plate to start could not have been more enjoyable. The pork ragu was delicious. It won't be long before we return to The Curious Grape.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite place to eatSugarVIPDined on 10/31/2014Lots of nice choice and service is superb. Usually outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shirlington GgemtingoldVIPDined on 10/30/2014One of the best places to dine before the theatre or movies in Shirlington . . . or anywhere in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/25/2014I went there for brunch with a friend and we shared the smoked salmon eggs benedict and the lavender french toast. The benedict was delicious and the lavender french toast actually had a peanut butter sauce so it was a little unexpected, but very yummy. Service was great and will definitely be back to try out the pastriesSpecial Features:
- Stunning foodDanaTDined on 10/10/2014We always enjoy or visits to Curious Grape. They have a great wine pairing suggestion list and the food is always seasonally creative. Our favorite lately is the pork ragu. We always try to go to their wine tastings too. Yummy and interesting. Be sure to get on their email list for special event invites.Special Features:
- service misses the markOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 10/10/2014I've eaten here before and was not disappointed. This time, the food was great, service was horrible. everything took forever to get to the table. it was not really crowded for a friday night either. cheese plate was delicious. the tenderloin, pork pasta, and the halibut were all great. the service was not to be desired.Special Features:
- Curious GrapeOTDinerDined on 10/6/2014Food is fantastic and wine list is interesting in a very good way -- there's something for everyone and a great variety of wines by the glass and 1/2 bottles. Wait staff is knowledgeable about the wine and menu both. The only thing that holds the Grape back is that the service pacing gets way, way off. On a couple of visits in the last few months, we've endured both rushed plates and long, long waits for basic items (including on our most recent trip, a 15 minute wait for the bottle of wine we ordered. Did they have to go all the way to Sonoma to retrieve it?). The food and wine list provide great conversation fodder; it's only too bad that the service is not quite as strong as the food and drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for foodiesGoseedoerDined on 10/6/2014The food is wonderfully inventive, creative, but sometimes disappoints. We would definitely go back there again.Special Features:
- Consistently GoodPatvDined on 9/30/2014I've been here many times and my opinion doesn't change. This is a very good restaurant that does things very well. I've always enjoyed my meals here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic dining at its finestGrinagainVIPDined on 9/30/2014I highly recommend this restaurant for a romantic evening. The food is amazing, the service is impeccable, and the wine list is extensive. Great impression for a first date or for a 25th anniversary.Special Features:
- Terrific new jointAlexandriaLocalVIPDined on 9/29/2014I am glad The Curious Grape is on OpenTable. This is a great joint I have probably passed a hundred times and was glad I stopped in to try it. Food is terrific and the wine list is quite impressive; will have to come back and try out a few more. There was a wine-tasting event when I went, so I'd be interested to know about more events of that sort at TCG.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal!KMCfromDCVIPDined on 9/23/2014Had an old friend in town and we had a wonderful meal. Try the octopus. This is my third time eating octopus and this was the best taste and presentation to date.Special Features:
- Enjoyable eveningNotafoodieDined on 9/21/2014Had dinner on Sunday evening. Easy parking in well demarcated spots across from the restaurant and adjacent to the Metro station. Pleasantly greeted and allowed to go to our table even though our party had not completely arrived. Wide variety of wines and beers. Interesting menu with the opportunity to order half portions on many of the items. We all had different dishes and enjoyed them all. The deserts were fine. The food was very good, but not great. It was a very pleasant experience and will go back again.Special Features:
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/16/2014We go to this restaurant a lot because the food is very good, it is close by, they have a great wine/beer list and smaller portions for the beer. One of us isn't a big drinker, so he can have a taste of something really good but w/out having to have a whole pint of it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very CuriousIluvtapasDined on 9/13/2014Second time dining at restaurant, the first time was much better - service has declined. The wait for the food and wine was 15-20 minutes The cheese dessert was not what I suspected, will not order againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Repeat performanceOliviaDined on 9/9/2014Once again, Curious Grape was wonderful. Always love the diversity of the food and the freshness. I also love the portion sizes and the choice of getting a half portion. Curious Grape always come through with exceptional food.Special Features:
- Love this placemsugostateDined on 8/31/2014The food is outstanding, really unique and locally grown. Portion sizes are perfect. Susan, one of the owners, is usually there and always great to recommend a good wine or food to eat. The wait staff are knowledgeable, attentive, and friendly. I really couldn't ask more from a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not recommendArlingtonFamilyDined on 8/30/2014Food was adequate . Service, however was terrible Servers were very rude. Out party of four was rushed from the time we sat down until When the server slapped down the check without prompting. The words "Thank you" were not in their vocabulary. So bad that it ruined the evening for us. It was not just our main server but anyone who came to the table to perform any task. Definitely would not go back
- Lacking CuriosityOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014The plating (presentation), food's flavor, and wait service were all underwhelming and uninspired. The food simply doesn't deliver on the promise of a seemingly impressive menu. Perhaps the chef/kitchen should first concentrate on honing/delivering simpler, traditional Northern Italian dishes at more modest prices, as the overly salted and overpriced meal left us disappointed. And the waiter had no idea how to suggest wine pairings (he also charged us for he wrong wine)--somewhat baffling, considering the focus on wine--or to suggest smaller primi dishes between two fairly small people before ordering large entrees. Nothing was outrageously bad, but I'm utterly ambivalent toward this entirely forgettable meal--perhaps that's worse.
- Fantastic restaurant.JMSIP46VIPDined on 8/29/2014Great find in Shirlington . Food is excellent with very interesting, delicious appetizers , entrees and desserts . The salmon is among the best I have ever had and the appetizer halloumi fig is greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Curious Grape ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014This was a great restaurant, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of food. Could use a few more vegetarian options.Special Features:
- Excellent Find!KarloDined on 8/24/2014We just happened upon this restaurant while looking for one in the Shirlington area where we were to be staying in a hotel. The web site looked interesting, with a focus on wines. It turned out we could not have been happier with our choice. Not only were the wines of the best quality, but the food was creative, excellent, and beautifully presented. We will go back again the next time we're in the D.C. area, as this restaurant is a real gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good wine and food; skip dessert.lovelydayDined on 8/24/2014Overall good. Since it was Restaurant Week, we took advantage of the special price for starter/dinner/dessert. One starter was a delicious twist on figs, seared cheese, and eggplant; the other starter a nice fresh mozz and tomato item with good sauce and other veggies/fruits. Main courses were fine, but not special. Desserts were humdrum, with one dessert (too dry; seemed stale) cupcake. Wonderful wines and nice the way the menu is set up to guide on good wine for each dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed Celebrating My BirthdayTammyWVIPDined on 8/24/2014A great evening was shared with two other couples neither of whom had been to CG before. We all had a lovely evening - fun wine pairings excellent food, fine service. Fortunately they put us in a corner in the large back room since we did get a bit loud. The good news was since it was Sunday evening at the end of August the restaurant was not as full as usual. We also appreciate the wine discount to buy bottles - a nice perk.Special Features:
- Curious about the GrapeVanceVIPDined on 8/23/2014We used to go to the original wine store and would buy wine & cheese for some years. Then it closed & came back in a new location as a restaurant, along with the wine & cheese store. The wait staff here are excellent & very helpful and make good suggestions for both wine & beer. The appetizers tend to be very large & lend themselves to sharing. The mussels are excellent & the tomato & mozzarella salad is also. The deserts also tend to be big & can be shared. The hazel nut mousse is outstanding & the peanut butter ice cream plate is wonderful. The lamb chops & steak are quite good, the halibut is served on a bed of black rice & it worth your attention. The pork ragu was short on pork and long on pasta. Coffee is excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our area favorite!YumYumVIPDined on 8/23/2014We love Curious Grape - caring hosts are owners who oversee the dining experience. Great food and wines. Our pre-theater go-to place, however we've taken 10 for a special occasion and enjoyed their back room. The best dining in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for FoodiesOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/23/2014Although the desserts could be better, the overall food selection is amazing - the presentation is wonderful and the food is really great to pair wines with - especially having a choice of 3 or 5 oz for wine. Nice selection of wines to take home in the shop area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continues to ImpressPatvDined on 8/17/2014This was my 5th or 6th time at Curious Grape and again I was not disappointed. The menu is ever evolving and seems to be quite creative. Cold soups continue to impress. Grilled octopus was very tender. The Kampachi fish was excellent and the veal ragu my fellow guest had was outstanding.Special Features:
- A hidden gem of a restaurantNovaFoodieDined on 8/17/2014The Curious Grape is fantastic, they have an executive chef who is way more skilled than most of the executive chefs in the Northern Virginia area. All the food is amazingly well prepared and are artistic creations. I'm always surprised there's not a line out the door here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb brunchoysterVIPDined on 8/17/2014We came for brunch on August 17. Caught end of restaurant week offer. Every dish was superb. Service excellent. Extraordinary value, but even without the week's offer we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WondefulOsclagDined on 8/16/2014One of the best restaurants in the DC metro area. Food is amazing with first class world ingredients. Menu is very innovative and the presentation of the dishes is beautiful.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/16/2014Menu was innovative with many excellent choices. Fig appetizer was delicious. Fish was very tasty, well-cooked and moist. Service was a bit slow with wine taking too long to arrive. Good wine choices with small and regular glasses available for sampling and when you just want a little more, not a full glass. Outside dining was pleasant and not noisy. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!RichardDined on 8/15/2014As usual a terrific meal with a new fish dish (I think called hammidi) that was fabulous. Appetizer was the fried Brussels sprouts, also great. We have never been disappointed in the meals there. Suzanne and Kip are doing a terrific job!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDined on 8/15/2014Food was good, but I had called the restaurant to make sure they were serving their regular menu not just restaurant week menu and was told yes by the person who answered the phone, but that was not the case when we arrived. The service was awkward, waited to be greeted for some time, then greeted by someone who told us they were not our server but would get us drinks. The drinks took a long time (just beer and wine). The food was ok, but was hodgepodge of Greek mezze and American food, not exactly contemporary American. The lamb was so-so, but the chicken roulade was good.
- Disappointed.BroSoseDined on 8/14/2014Even during a Restaurant Week, I found the food overpriced and the service lacking. Out waiter set up spoons for our dessert before we had even had our entrees! We had already waited over 15 minutes for our appetizers and then waited another 20 before our entrees were out - and this is because we had to ask the waiter for them (he thought we had already had it). This tells you something - the kitchen was slow and the waiter just didn't check up on us much as he should. I'm disappointed. Not coming back here again.