7823 Forsyth Blvd.
Clayton, MO 63105Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.fialafood.com/Jim_Fialas_Restaurants/THE_CROSSING.html
- Phone: 3147217375x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 1:30pm. PLEASE CALL FOR LUNCH RESERVATIONS
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, French
- Executive Chef: Jim Fiala
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please call for further information.
- Special Events: HAPPY HOUR at Wine Bar "X" located inside The Crossing! Mon-Fri 5:00pm - 6:00pm. Salumi and delicious bites including Gnocchi, Scallop Crudo, Burger Ham Beignets, Swabian Hall Pate, Boquerones and our famous Blue Cheese Souffle. Wine Flights available as well as Happy Hour Moscow Mules, Mint Juleps, Plymouth Gin & Q Tonic, Aperol Spritz and Margheritas.
A word from The Crossing
Featuring local "farm to table" food using a breadth of farmer in the Missouri and Illinois communities. When asked to define of The Crossing, Owner/Executive Chef Jim Fiala often says that he is a chef that buys locally whenever possible and cooks as any French and/or Italian chef would given the ingredients sourced. Joining Jim is Chef Brad Watts who brings a wealth of passion and years of experience to the kitchen. Our food is fresh, organic (whenever possible), seasonal and by design very simple. The Crossing stays true to classic techniques and the chefs love showing off their skills and passion for elegant food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Crossing - Best Restaurants in Clayton ›
The Crossing reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (93)special occasion (86)notable wine list (57)romantic (56)neighborhood gem (43)good for groups (10)hot spot (9)great for lunch (8)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Gracious, welcoming and delicious.wistfulwaysDined on 10/21/2014We chose The Crossing to celebrate my sister's birthday having heard that the food was exceptional. It did not disappoint. The food was spectacular. We were also impressed by the attentive (but not overbearing) service. In fact, when we opened our menus there was a special birthday greeting printed at the top. It was a sweet gesture that made the evening seem all the most personal and special. Most of us ordered the tasting menu, with substitutions that were easily accommodated. Our waiter was gracious and made us feel completely welcome and at home. Every course was spectacular (I strongly recommend the Egg Raviolo). It is also a quiet restaurant, making it easy for our rather large group to enjoy our conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014Dining was great, great pace to the dinner, never hurried, able to enjoy the food and company. Knowledgeable waiter, Great food.Special Features:
- luluDined on 10/16/2014We live in Clayton and think The Crossing is probably the best restaurant in town, in which there are many! The menu is always going to have something exciting and different - and always well prepared. Our waiter the other night (from Scotland) was a sheer pleasure - friendly, helpful with our selections and just all-around delightful.Special Features:
- Vin27Dined on 10/11/2014Outstanding. We were in from Boston visiting our son at WashU. The tasting menu with the wine pairing was perfect. One of the best meals we've had in a couple of years rivaling great restaurants in Boston and New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!Foodie66Dined on 10/11/2014Great restaurant with wonderful service. A true find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably excellentGourmetmomVIPDined on 10/11/2014We did the 4 course tasting, which is ideal since you can choose from a large selection of the menu, and then sample four different courses with appropriate portion sizes. Delicious at every course!Special Features:
- a pleasant experienceJBamesDined on 10/11/2014overall experience is outstanding. food is very good/near excellent (the only negative was a beet appetizer served too cold which killed the flavors); the place is pleasant and allows for conversation with a controlled noise level, the service is friendly and very attentive, the wine and beer lists are excellent, no weak point to be found.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another stellar dining experiencencrnVIPDined on 10/10/2014Our second visit to The Crossing did not disappoint but definitely confirmed that this is a consistently excellent restaurant, with its combination of superb cuisine, friendly but highly professional service and cozy, and welcoming decor. When in St Louis, we will make it a habit to dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014Great personality of waiter and also owner-chef. A very nice experienceSpecial Features:
- The CrossingFoodsnobDined on 10/4/2014Ambience and service were very good but what keeps me coming back is the outstanding food.Special Features:
- IndulgeInClaytonRSTRNTWKDined on 10/4/2014We had the Chef's tasting menu and the wine pairings were exquisite. Presentation of all the dishes were very nice. My date's favorite dish was the duck and mine was the Dover with foie. I especially liked that we got a couple different dishes such as salad and dessert. It was worth the two hour drive for us and I hope to go back soon. We wish they were open on Sunday.Special Features:
- great night!!ClassyDined on 10/4/2014We went for dinner before a concert. Loved it right away. Excellent service with a lot of attention to proper etiquette. The beet salad was awesome as well as the walleye. My husband didn't care for the rib eye. Zach was a awesome waiter, we truly enjoyed our time there. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the Chef's Grand Tasting Menu!FUNINSTLDined on 10/3/2014We have always enjoyed The Crossing and the Chef's Tasting Menu. This time we tried the Chef's Grand Tasting Menu along with suggested wine pairings and had a truly amazing experience with friends. Dinner was 7-8 courses appropriately portioned. My husband and I each received different selections for most courses (and all 4 of us received a different dessert) so we we actually experienced >16 different creations by Chef Fiala. Pairings were extremely well done from start to finish. Service was charming (and kept us posted on score of Cards playoff game). Chef Fiala presented and engaged with us for several courses. Truly a wonderful experience here at home in St. Louis. A must try, especially for foodies and/or a special evening!!Special Features:
- Fantastic chef's tasting menuKrisDined on 9/29/2014Let the chef make the decisions and you will not be disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the bestFoodfanVIPDined on 9/27/2014We've never had a bad meal at The Crossing. Never boring but always reliable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- innovative, great,DejoDined on 9/26/2014The food was delicious, innovative and the staff sensitive. It is a small restaurant and the tables kind of close together, but I would definitely recommend and return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Excellent!NyamichiVIPDined on 9/22/2014The Crossing is a wonderful restaurant. The food is wonderful and never disappoints. The service is always friendly and top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and atmosphere a winnerCapeGirardeauVisitorDined on 9/19/2014We visit The Crossing a couple times a year, typically for special occasions (as we live 100 miles away). The food and staff are always a delight. Among the tastes this year: exquisite preparation of beet salad, perfectly grilled octopus, sweet and satisfying pumpkin-stuffed mini-ravioli, a delicate venison, skate, scallops and more. The desserts were to die for. Waiter, again, was excellent. And...the atmosphere perfect for a deep conversation with friends. I'm not sure the restaurant would be considered "trendy" with its white table clothes and mixed-age crowd and low music. Instead, it's more high class. That said, it's not stuffy at all. Overall, looking for a delicious meal, good wine, in an atmosphere conducive to talking. Here it is!Special Features:
- crackersDined on 9/18/2014Great meal for a great value! Our first vist and we'll definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favorite....SueBDined on 9/13/2014The Crossing continues to excel in their food menu and service. The staff is very attentive to their customers yet not bothersome. Jim Fiala continues to present an excellent variety of well prepared dishes that makes it hard to choose. Will always be a favorite of ours when dining in STL.Special Features:
- Our best meal at Crossing to datexchefDined on 9/13/2014Ate an early dinner . We asked for a quiet table & received just that. Excellent service & wonderfully flavored dishes - all improved over previous experiences, which were very good but this was exceptionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Italian diningWineAttitudeDined on 9/5/2014Service , food, ambiance and great wine list. Now I have a reason to return to St. LouisSpecial Features:
- Memorable Date Night!Ameya0074uDined on 9/5/2014The food had amazing flavors. The tasting menu options with the ease of substitutions available was the icing on the cake. The customizations and excellent service made the date night memorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every bite was worth the calories.MarathonGirlDined on 9/5/2014I am on a perpetual diet, so every bite I eat must be worth the calories. This is the perfect restaurant in which to savor every single bite of food. I loved everything I ate. Portions are reasonable, and the wine pairings are perfect. My husband, who does not have to watch what he eats, was satisfied with his meal as well. Delicious and worth every calorie. The gluten-free offerings were top-notch as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrate at The CrossingwineloverDined on 9/4/2014The Crossing is a great place to celebrate - the food, the wine, the service, and your own special occasion. We tried the 4-course tasting menu. It gives you latitude to select across menus. We left the wine matching to our waiter - an excellent decision. Douglas, our waiter, was personable - a good conversationalist - who kept his eye on us and appeared at just the right times. His wine selections and explanations were great. A very good evening!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014My husband & I celebrated our anniversary there. The food was great, the wine and the service was also outstanding!Special Features:
- Just RightRickVIPDined on 8/30/2014The four of us dined on a busy Saturday night and all was just perfect. Waitress was clearly a veteran who knew when to be there and when to give us time. Beet salad and caprese salads were very good, followed by foie gras that was slightly crisp on the outside and hot and tender on the inside. Main course of tenderloin and trout were prepared perfectly and bursting with flavor. Deserts were excellent, especially the pot de creme, which was salted caramel. It all added up to a great evening and dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary CharmMrsPaxDined on 8/30/2014My husband and I came to The Crossing for our one year anniversary and we felt pampered the entire night. Our waitress made us feel like royalty. I highly recommend The Flight as it is a great way to experience the cuisine and Chef's talent. This was the most romantic dining experience we have encountered to date and we would come back to St. Louis simply to dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary celebrationBrazaVIPDined on 8/29/2014We recently visit The Crossing for the first time and had a wonderful time! It is indeed a neighborhood gem. Service was outstanding, we almost felt we had a waiter for ourselves! Food was fantastic. We highly recommend it even if for special celebrations only as the prices might make it hard for some people to show up more often.Special Features:
- Eclectic menu, delightful surprisesPluckyVIPDined on 8/26/2014The tasting menu had selections spanning several different types of cuisine. The dishes were tasty, interesting, and expertly cooked. I was very surprised to experience such fantastic food, even with the more exotic proteins (St. Louis doesn't often get the freshest octopus). I will certainly return for another adventurous dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting menus worth tryingLive2EatVIPDined on 8/23/2014The Crossing offers two different priced tasting menus that both offered a wonderful variety of flavors and choices. There was an off-menu dish -- a duck confit ravioli that was delicious. I had a pan-seared salmon that was perfectly cooked. The beef tenderloin was also perfectly cooked and flavorful; my husband found the blue cheese on top a bit strong for the meat, but tasty smeared on a piece of bread. My husband was left a little hungry with the smaller portions of the tasting menu, but it was plenty of food for me.Special Features:
- Great chef tasting menumooreaDined on 8/22/2014The Crossing is known for its wonderful 8-10 course chef tasting menu. Such understated elegance. Service is attentive yet not intrusive and overbearing. My favorite restaurant in all of St. Louis.Special Features:
- Great 20th anniversary dinner!lluckygal0820Dined on 8/20/2014We had a fabulous dinner starting with the yummy blue cheese spread. We opted for the 4 course menus with the wine pairings. Every single item we shared was truly delicious. Our waiter, Gus, was very knowledgeable. Never did we feel hurried. We were able to enjoy the atmosphere, the food and each other's company.Special Features:
- Romantic, excellent foodKirbyVIPDined on 8/18/2014Recently celebrated a bday there with the better half and it was pretty much as expected, excellent food, good service, impressive wine list. I thought ambiance was just ok to be honest. Good espresso though. Would return for a special occasion, not a cheap meal.Special Features:
- First Time to VisitWineandFood4UsDined on 8/16/2014We were looking for a restaurant that offered a good wine list and fine food. After searching the internet we decided to try The Crossing. We were pleasantlly surprised. A little loud, but the Premium Tasting menu was great. Wine selection to pair was spot on. We will be back in St. Louis in the spring and will have another great meal at The Crossing.Special Features:
- Perfect EveningGeejumDined on 8/14/2014The food and service were perfect. We celebrated our wedding anniversary there and they made it special! Our server in particular was very helpful with food and wine choices.Special Features:
- Great Dinner!DondeeDined on 8/13/2014As expected, another great dining adventure at Jimmy Fiala's cornerstone, the crossing. The food, drinks, wine and atmosphere only augmented by Zach's great service. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- donaldschnellmannDined on 8/12/2014TRIED THE PREMIER TASTNG WITHOUT THE WINE FLIGHT EXCELLENT! Continues to be one of our favorites!Special Features:
- Special occasiondavidDined on 8/7/2014The Crossing is an awesome place for a celebration dinner. The tasting menu is a terrific way to try a variety of dishes, but they are all so good, you'll wish you had ordered them from the regular menu so that your portion size is larger!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FindTexDocDined on 8/4/2014We are from Houston & chose The Crossing because of reviews on Open Table. What a wonderful experience! The wait staff was helpful - answering questions and making suggestions. Everything from appetizers to dessert was skiffully prepared and presented. A bonus, was the very nice wine list! All in all a gret experience.Special Features: