7823 Forsyth Blvd.
Clayton, MO 63105Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.fialafood.com/Jim_Fialas_Restaurants/THE_CROSSING.html
- Phone: (314) 721-7375
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 1:30pm. PLEASE CALL FOR LUNCH RESERVATIONS
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, French
- Executive Chef: Jim Fiala
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please call for further information.
- Special Events: HAPPY HOUR at Wine Bar "X" located inside The Crossing! Mon-Fri 5:00pm - 6:00pm. Salumi and delicious bites including Gnocchi, Scallop Crudo, Burger Ham Beignets, Swabian Hall Pate, Boquerones and our famous Blue Cheese Souffle. Wine Flights available as well as Happy Hour Moscow Mules, Mint Juleps, Plymouth Gin & Q Tonic, Aperol Spritz and Margheritas.
A word from The Crossing
Featuring local "farm to table" food using a breadth of farmer in the Missouri and Illinois communities. When asked to define of The Crossing, Owner/Executive Chef Jim Fiala often says that he is a chef that buys locally whenever possible and cooks as any French and/or Italian chef would given the ingredients sourced. Joining Jim is Chef Brad Watts who brings a wealth of passion and years of experience to the kitchen. Our food is fresh, organic (whenever possible), seasonal and by design very simple. The Crossing stays true to classic techniques and the chefs love showing off their skills and passion for elegant food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
The Crossing - Best Restaurants in Clayton ›
The Crossing reviews from OpenTable diners
122 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (103)special occasion (92)notable wine list (67)romantic (59)neighborhood gem (45)hot spot (11)good for groups (10)great for lunch (5)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Selected this restaurant from the reviews.MyronDined on 11/18/2014While the ambiance was very nice, there were some noisy patrons who made it difficult to converse with my guest. I should have requested another table as there were plenty of empty tables when we arrived at 7:50 PM. While our filet mignons were tender and tasty, they were served at room temperature. I was served two small medallions instead of a single steak, without any explanation, while my guest was served a nice full cut. The green beans were very fresh and steamed to perfection. The flour-less chocolate cake was tasty, but it appeared to be drying out and must have been microwaved as it was cool on the outside, but hot in the middle. Nice place, friendly staff, pleasant server, but just didn't live up to the reviews in my opinion. Certainly not worth the price.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/18/2014Went for business dinner on a Tuesday night. They were not too crowded on the first very chilly night of fall. Valet, Coat check, and seating very smooth. Waiter was knew the menu and how to provide great service without hovering. Started our group of 5 with a delicious cheese spread for our bread. Nice wine selection. Table assistant kept water and bread filled. First course Beet Salad and Shrimp Scampi got rave reviews. NZ venison was a nightly special and excellent as was the Rabbit. Salmon and other nightly special Halibut were also quite good. Fried Apple pie and Chocolate Tort deserts rounded out a wonderful evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great evening!farrowsvDined on 11/8/2014We celebrated our anniversary on Saturday night. Somehow, they new it was our anniversary. I can only think it was because I commented on a Sauce post. They picked it up and recognized it. The food was amazing, service with Jenny was superb..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but TOO noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/6/2014Great food and Alex was very attentive and helpful excellent menu options !! But so noisy I could not hear the people at our tableSpecial Features:
- donnaVIPDined on 11/4/2014We had a very nice experience at The Crossing. the food, service and atmosphere were really good. we can see why they have been there for such a long time.Special Features:
- A Clayton GEM!happyserbDined on 11/3/2014My husband and I are STILL talking about the fantastic food we ate at The Crossing!!! I had short ribs and root vegetables that absolutely melted in my mouth!!! My husband loved his swordfish with navy beans and this is saying a LOT because he is the ultimate finicky eater! Also, our service was amazing; our server was great and his Irish accent only added to his charm. The dining room isn't large, but the table arrangement and decor made it seem very private. My final comment is, "Why did we wait so long to go back there???" :)Special Features:
- Great Food and Menucatdozer91Dined on 10/31/2014As self proclaimed foodies, my boyfriend and I dined here looking for something nice with good food selection. Needless to say we were blown away!. The 4 course tasting menu offered great selection and great portions, as we were full by the time the last course came around. The food was divine and elegantly prepared and the wait staff was awesome. I would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a romantic night out, a special occasion or someone looking for really good food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service is first class!!DlvsmDined on 10/30/2014Most excellent in every way! Awesome foodie experience and service is excellent. Great attitudes from all staff with out being there too much. Good atmosphere for conversation and very cozy. Perfect for romantic dinner or entertaining. Only one suggestion would be is to put real flowers on the tables, they have these plastic glued together arrangements of fake flowers and for the prices and with white tablecloth real flowers would be more appropriate imo. Sorry to nit pick. Again this is a must go to restaurant in STLSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindtomuchtravelVIPDined on 10/27/2014There is a lot of good food in St Louis! Clayton has quite a few great finds, but I was very impressed with The Crossing. Excellent Service! Knowledgable staff. Great wine list (heavy on Italians) and very imaginative food combinations! Would recommend and would come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellenceElliSDined on 10/25/2014Although the food and service at The Crossing are always excellent, The Chef's Grand Tasting Menu demands to be tried. Seven or eight courses specially chosen by and carefully prepared by one of the top chefs in St. Louis are served with the utmost professionalism. From start to finish, the tasting is thrilling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/24/2014The Crossing had excellent French food. The service was very good, and it did get crowded around 6:30 -7pm on a Friday night. I would recommend taking family members here for a very nice dinner!Special Features:
- Gracious, welcoming and delicious.wistfulwaysDined on 10/21/2014We chose The Crossing to celebrate my sister's birthday having heard that the food was exceptional. It did not disappoint. The food was spectacular. We were also impressed by the attentive (but not overbearing) service. In fact, when we opened our menus there was a special birthday greeting printed at the top. It was a sweet gesture that made the evening seem all the most personal and special. Most of us ordered the tasting menu, with substitutions that were easily accommodated. Our waiter was gracious and made us feel completely welcome and at home. Every course was spectacular (I strongly recommend the Egg Raviolo). It is also a quiet restaurant, making it easy for our rather large group to enjoy our conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/17/2014Dining was great, great pace to the dinner, never hurried, able to enjoy the food and company. Knowledgeable waiter, Great food.Special Features:
- luluDined on 10/16/2014We live in Clayton and think The Crossing is probably the best restaurant in town, in which there are many! The menu is always going to have something exciting and different - and always well prepared. Our waiter the other night (from Scotland) was a sheer pleasure - friendly, helpful with our selections and just all-around delightful.Special Features:
- Excellent AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/15/2014My wife and I were in St. Louis during October and booked the Crossing for our anniversary based on excellent the reviews we read on Tripadvisor. We were not disappointed. They were very accommodating with her recent injury and provided a crate to elevate her ankle. The food was excellent and the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vin27Dined on 10/11/2014Outstanding. We were in from Boston visiting our son at WashU. The tasting menu with the wine pairing was perfect. One of the best meals we've had in a couple of years rivaling great restaurants in Boston and New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!Foodie66VIPDined on 10/11/2014Great restaurant with wonderful service. A true find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably excellentGourmetmomVIPDined on 10/11/2014We did the 4 course tasting, which is ideal since you can choose from a large selection of the menu, and then sample four different courses with appropriate portion sizes. Delicious at every course!Special Features:
- a pleasant experienceJBamesDined on 10/11/2014overall experience is outstanding. food is very good/near excellent (the only negative was a beet appetizer served too cold which killed the flavors); the place is pleasant and allows for conversation with a controlled noise level, the service is friendly and very attentive, the wine and beer lists are excellent, no weak point to be found.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another stellar dining experiencencrnVIPDined on 10/10/2014Our second visit to The Crossing did not disappoint but definitely confirmed that this is a consistently excellent restaurant, with its combination of superb cuisine, friendly but highly professional service and cozy, and welcoming decor. When in St Louis, we will make it a habit to dine here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014Great personality of waiter and also owner-chef. A very nice experienceSpecial Features:
- The CrossingFoodsnobDined on 10/4/2014Ambience and service were very good but what keeps me coming back is the outstanding food.Special Features:
- What a great restaurantEagleriverVIPDined on 10/4/2014I have never been disappointed with the Crossing. Great food, wonderful service and a fun place to visit. It is expensive, but worth it.Special Features:
- IndulgeInClaytonRSTRNTWKVIPDined on 10/4/2014We had the Chef's tasting menu and the wine pairings were exquisite. Presentation of all the dishes were very nice. My date's favorite dish was the duck and mine was the Dover with foie. I especially liked that we got a couple different dishes such as salad and dessert. It was worth the two hour drive for us and I hope to go back soon. We wish they were open on Sunday.Special Features:
- great night!!ClassyDined on 10/4/2014We went for dinner before a concert. Loved it right away. Excellent service with a lot of attention to proper etiquette. The beet salad was awesome as well as the walleye. My husband didn't care for the rib eye. Zach was a awesome waiter, we truly enjoyed our time there. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the Chef's Grand Tasting Menu!FUNINSTLDined on 10/3/2014We have always enjoyed The Crossing and the Chef's Tasting Menu. This time we tried the Chef's Grand Tasting Menu along with suggested wine pairings and had a truly amazing experience with friends. Dinner was 7-8 courses appropriately portioned. My husband and I each received different selections for most courses (and all 4 of us received a different dessert) so we we actually experienced >16 different creations by Chef Fiala. Pairings were extremely well done from start to finish. Service was charming (and kept us posted on score of Cards playoff game). Chef Fiala presented and engaged with us for several courses. Truly a wonderful experience here at home in St. Louis. A must try, especially for foodies and/or a special evening!!Special Features:
- Fantastic chef's tasting menuKrisDined on 9/29/2014Let the chef make the decisions and you will not be disappointedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always the bestFoodfanVIPDined on 9/27/2014We've never had a bad meal at The Crossing. Never boring but always reliable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- innovative, great,DejoDined on 9/26/2014The food was delicious, innovative and the staff sensitive. It is a small restaurant and the tables kind of close together, but I would definitely recommend and return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Excellent!NyamichiVIPDined on 9/22/2014The Crossing is a wonderful restaurant. The food is wonderful and never disappoints. The service is always friendly and top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and atmosphere a winnerCapeGirardeauVisitorDined on 9/19/2014We visit The Crossing a couple times a year, typically for special occasions (as we live 100 miles away). The food and staff are always a delight. Among the tastes this year: exquisite preparation of beet salad, perfectly grilled octopus, sweet and satisfying pumpkin-stuffed mini-ravioli, a delicate venison, skate, scallops and more. The desserts were to die for. Waiter, again, was excellent. And...the atmosphere perfect for a deep conversation with friends. I'm not sure the restaurant would be considered "trendy" with its white table clothes and mixed-age crowd and low music. Instead, it's more high class. That said, it's not stuffy at all. Overall, looking for a delicious meal, good wine, in an atmosphere conducive to talking. Here it is!Special Features:
- crackersDined on 9/18/2014Great meal for a great value! Our first vist and we'll definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favorite....SueBDined on 9/13/2014The Crossing continues to excel in their food menu and service. The staff is very attentive to their customers yet not bothersome. Jim Fiala continues to present an excellent variety of well prepared dishes that makes it hard to choose. Will always be a favorite of ours when dining in STL.Special Features:
- Our best meal at Crossing to datexchefDined on 9/13/2014Ate an early dinner . We asked for a quiet table & received just that. Excellent service & wonderfully flavored dishes - all improved over previous experiences, which were very good but this was exceptionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Italian diningWineAttitudeDined on 9/5/2014Service , food, ambiance and great wine list. Now I have a reason to return to St. LouisSpecial Features:
- Memorable Date Night!Ameya0074uDined on 9/5/2014The food had amazing flavors. The tasting menu options with the ease of substitutions available was the icing on the cake. The customizations and excellent service made the date night memorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every bite was worth the calories.MarathonGirlDined on 9/5/2014I am on a perpetual diet, so every bite I eat must be worth the calories. This is the perfect restaurant in which to savor every single bite of food. I loved everything I ate. Portions are reasonable, and the wine pairings are perfect. My husband, who does not have to watch what he eats, was satisfied with his meal as well. Delicious and worth every calorie. The gluten-free offerings were top-notch as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrate at The CrossingwineloverDined on 9/4/2014The Crossing is a great place to celebrate - the food, the wine, the service, and your own special occasion. We tried the 4-course tasting menu. It gives you latitude to select across menus. We left the wine matching to our waiter - an excellent decision. Douglas, our waiter, was personable - a good conversationalist - who kept his eye on us and appeared at just the right times. His wine selections and explanations were great. A very good evening!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014My husband & I celebrated our anniversary there. The food was great, the wine and the service was also outstanding!Special Features:
- Just RightRickVIPDined on 8/30/2014The four of us dined on a busy Saturday night and all was just perfect. Waitress was clearly a veteran who knew when to be there and when to give us time. Beet salad and caprese salads were very good, followed by foie gras that was slightly crisp on the outside and hot and tender on the inside. Main course of tenderloin and trout were prepared perfectly and bursting with flavor. Deserts were excellent, especially the pot de creme, which was salted caramel. It all added up to a great evening and dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.