7823 Forsyth Blvd.
Clayton, MO 63105Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.fialafood.com/Jim_Fialas_Restaurants/THE_CROSSING.html
- Phone: 3147217375x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 1:30pm. PLEASE CALL FOR LUNCH RESERVATIONS
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, French
- Executive Chef: Jim Fiala
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Please call for further information.
- Special Events: HAPPY HOUR at Wine Bar "X" located inside The Crossing! Mon-Fri 5:00pm - 6:00pm. Salumi and delicious bites including Gnocchi, Scallop Crudo, Burger Ham Beignets, Swabian Hall Pate, Boquerones and our famous Blue Cheese Souffle. Wine Flights available as well as Happy Hour Moscow Mules, Mint Juleps, Plymouth Gin & Q Tonic, Aperol Spritz and Margheritas.
A word from The Crossing
Featuring local "farm to table" food using a breadth of farmer in the Missouri and Illinois communities. When asked to define of The Crossing, Owner/Executive Chef Jim Fiala often says that he is a chef that buys locally whenever possible and cooks as any French and/or Italian chef would given the ingredients sourced. Joining Jim is Chef Brad Watts who brings a wealth of passion and years of experience to the kitchen. Our food is fresh, organic (whenever possible), seasonal and by design very simple. The Crossing stays true to classic techniques and the chefs love showing off their skills and passion for elegant food.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
The Crossing - Best Restaurants in Clayton ›
The Crossing reviews from OpenTable diners
97 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (82)special occasion (77)romantic (51)notable wine list (50)neighborhood gem (36)great for lunch (8)hot spot (5)good for groups (5)vibrant bar scene (2)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Always the bestFoodfanVIPDined on 9/27/2014We've never had a bad meal at The Crossing. Never boring but always reliable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- innovative, great,DejoDined on 9/26/2014The food was delicious, innovative and the staff sensitive. It is a small restaurant and the tables kind of close together, but I would definitely recommend and return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Excellent!NyamichiVIPDined on 9/22/2014The Crossing is a wonderful restaurant. The food is wonderful and never disappoints. The service is always friendly and top notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and atmosphere a winnerCapeGirardeauVisitorDined on 9/19/2014We visit The Crossing a couple times a year, typically for special occasions (as we live 100 miles away). The food and staff are always a delight. Among the tastes this year: exquisite preparation of beet salad, perfectly grilled octopus, sweet and satisfying pumpkin-stuffed mini-ravioli, a delicate venison, skate, scallops and more. The desserts were to die for. Waiter, again, was excellent. And...the atmosphere perfect for a deep conversation with friends. I'm not sure the restaurant would be considered "trendy" with its white table clothes and mixed-age crowd and low music. Instead, it's more high class. That said, it's not stuffy at all. Overall, looking for a delicious meal, good wine, in an atmosphere conducive to talking. Here it is!Special Features:
- crackersDined on 9/18/2014Great meal for a great value! Our first vist and we'll definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favorite....SueBDined on 9/13/2014The Crossing continues to excel in their food menu and service. The staff is very attentive to their customers yet not bothersome. Jim Fiala continues to present an excellent variety of well prepared dishes that makes it hard to choose. Will always be a favorite of ours when dining in STL.Special Features:
- Our best meal at Crossing to datexchefDined on 9/13/2014Ate an early dinner . We asked for a quiet table & received just that. Excellent service & wonderfully flavored dishes - all improved over previous experiences, which were very good but this was exceptionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Italian diningWineAttitudeDined on 9/5/2014Service , food, ambiance and great wine list. Now I have a reason to return to St. LouisSpecial Features:
- Memorable Date Night!Ameya0074uDined on 9/5/2014The food had amazing flavors. The tasting menu options with the ease of substitutions available was the icing on the cake. The customizations and excellent service made the date night memorable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every bite was worth the calories.MarathonGirlDined on 9/5/2014I am on a perpetual diet, so every bite I eat must be worth the calories. This is the perfect restaurant in which to savor every single bite of food. I loved everything I ate. Portions are reasonable, and the wine pairings are perfect. My husband, who does not have to watch what he eats, was satisfied with his meal as well. Delicious and worth every calorie. The gluten-free offerings were top-notch as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrate at The CrossingwineloverDined on 9/4/2014The Crossing is a great place to celebrate - the food, the wine, the service, and your own special occasion. We tried the 4-course tasting menu. It gives you latitude to select across menus. We left the wine matching to our waiter - an excellent decision. Douglas, our waiter, was personable - a good conversationalist - who kept his eye on us and appeared at just the right times. His wine selections and explanations were great. A very good evening!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/3/2014My husband & I celebrated our anniversary there. The food was great, the wine and the service was also outstanding!Special Features:
- Just RightRickVIPDined on 8/30/2014The four of us dined on a busy Saturday night and all was just perfect. Waitress was clearly a veteran who knew when to be there and when to give us time. Beet salad and caprese salads were very good, followed by foie gras that was slightly crisp on the outside and hot and tender on the inside. Main course of tenderloin and trout were prepared perfectly and bursting with flavor. Deserts were excellent, especially the pot de creme, which was salted caramel. It all added up to a great evening and dinner with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary CharmMrsPaxDined on 8/30/2014My husband and I came to The Crossing for our one year anniversary and we felt pampered the entire night. Our waitress made us feel like royalty. I highly recommend The Flight as it is a great way to experience the cuisine and Chef's talent. This was the most romantic dining experience we have encountered to date and we would come back to St. Louis simply to dine here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary celebrationBrazaVIPDined on 8/29/2014We recently visit The Crossing for the first time and had a wonderful time! It is indeed a neighborhood gem. Service was outstanding, we almost felt we had a waiter for ourselves! Food was fantastic. We highly recommend it even if for special celebrations only as the prices might make it hard for some people to show up more often.Special Features:
- Eclectic menu, delightful surprisesPluckyVIPDined on 8/26/2014The tasting menu had selections spanning several different types of cuisine. The dishes were tasty, interesting, and expertly cooked. I was very surprised to experience such fantastic food, even with the more exotic proteins (St. Louis doesn't often get the freshest octopus). I will certainly return for another adventurous dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting menus worth tryingLive2EatVIPDined on 8/23/2014The Crossing offers two different priced tasting menus that both offered a wonderful variety of flavors and choices. There was an off-menu dish -- a duck confit ravioli that was delicious. I had a pan-seared salmon that was perfectly cooked. The beef tenderloin was also perfectly cooked and flavorful; my husband found the blue cheese on top a bit strong for the meat, but tasty smeared on a piece of bread. My husband was left a little hungry with the smaller portions of the tasting menu, but it was plenty of food for me.Special Features:
- Great chef tasting menumooreaDined on 8/22/2014The Crossing is known for its wonderful 8-10 course chef tasting menu. Such understated elegance. Service is attentive yet not intrusive and overbearing. My favorite restaurant in all of St. Louis.Special Features:
- Great 20th anniversary dinner!lluckygal0820Dined on 8/20/2014We had a fabulous dinner starting with the yummy blue cheese spread. We opted for the 4 course menus with the wine pairings. Every single item we shared was truly delicious. Our waiter, Gus, was very knowledgeable. Never did we feel hurried. We were able to enjoy the atmosphere, the food and each other's company.Special Features:
- Romantic, excellent foodKirbyVIPDined on 8/18/2014Recently celebrated a bday there with the better half and it was pretty much as expected, excellent food, good service, impressive wine list. I thought ambiance was just ok to be honest. Good espresso though. Would return for a special occasion, not a cheap meal.Special Features:
- First Time to VisitWineandFood4UsDined on 8/16/2014We were looking for a restaurant that offered a good wine list and fine food. After searching the internet we decided to try The Crossing. We were pleasantlly surprised. A little loud, but the Premium Tasting menu was great. Wine selection to pair was spot on. We will be back in St. Louis in the spring and will have another great meal at The Crossing.Special Features:
- Perfect EveningGeejumDined on 8/14/2014The food and service were perfect. We celebrated our wedding anniversary there and they made it special! Our server in particular was very helpful with food and wine choices.Special Features:
- Great Dinner!DondeeDined on 8/13/2014As expected, another great dining adventure at Jimmy Fiala's cornerstone, the crossing. The food, drinks, wine and atmosphere only augmented by Zach's great service. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- donaldschnellmannDined on 8/12/2014TRIED THE PREMIER TASTNG WITHOUT THE WINE FLIGHT EXCELLENT! Continues to be one of our favorites!Special Features:
- Special occasiondavidDined on 8/7/2014The Crossing is an awesome place for a celebration dinner. The tasting menu is a terrific way to try a variety of dishes, but they are all so good, you'll wish you had ordered them from the regular menu so that your portion size is larger!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FindTexDocDined on 8/4/2014We are from Houston & chose The Crossing because of reviews on Open Table. What a wonderful experience! The wait staff was helpful - answering questions and making suggestions. Everything from appetizers to dessert was skiffully prepared and presented. A bonus, was the very nice wine list! All in all a gret experience.Special Features:
- Great price for descent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/2/2014I had 4 courses in the crossing. First course was octopus salad. Octopus was tender not chewy, salad add good balance. Only flaw was the entire dish had little particles. The chef said it was the ingredient. If that it was, then it brings unfavorable taste despites the good ingredients and efforts. The second course was crab cake. It was an average crab cake, no surprise, not bad. The third course was quail. I considered that dish is above the average. The quail meat is tender, and with good favor. I even think that dish is better than the duck breast in other places I have always had. The last one was chocolate cake with ice cream. Warm and cold, very similar to one of best chocolate shauffle I have had. Overall, it is a place worth to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cooked to Perfectionscb399VIPDined on 8/2/2014Everything we ordered was cooked to perfection and tasted absolutely wonderful. That being said, the menu is not 'modern' at all, and might even be considered a little bit tired. However, if you're interested in a tried and true dinner, you're not going to get one that is executed more perfectly than here. We ordered the scallops and the egg pasta. The waiter wanted to know what we were having for a first course, as if what we ordered were not enough and told us so. We added another fish entree to the mix and were completely over-stuffed. We had to throw the leftovers away because we were staying at a hotel. Very disappointing because the food was really good and expensive. The amuse bouche was amazing as well (blue cheese souffle).Special Features:
- NatashaNatashaDined on 8/1/2014The food was great as well as the service. The noise level was a problem this time. We still enjoyed our meal and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good restaurant, but ...floridianDined on 8/1/2014Very good food, good service, nice evening until the end. The bill included a handwritten "suggested gratuity" of 20% (including 20% of the $100+ bottle of wine). This isn't a lot more than I normally tip, but the implied coercion "If you don't accept this, you're a cheapskate" is deeply offensive. Enough so that I will avoid the Crossing in the future.Special Features:
- consistently the bestDrMomVIPDined on 7/26/2014Always great flexibility with tasting menus. Watermelon gazpacho, beet salad, homemade pastas, outstanding halibut and tuna. A group of 8 and everyone had an outstanding meal!Special Features:
- Excellent DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/26/2014We dined at The Crossing on July 26th. The overall experience was excellent. I ordered the premium 4 course dinner and my wife went the menu al a carte route. Both dinenrs were creative, well presented and delicious. We most certainly will return.Special Features:
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 7/19/2014We had a wonderful and romantic date night at The Crossing. Excellent menu.... Absolutely loved the foie and the tuna entree was delicious. Also great wine list. Have already recommended this place to many friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was perfesttwoscholarsDined on 7/17/2014Ate at the Crossing last night. Everything was perfect from the demeanor of the server to the last drop of dessert on the tasting menu we sampled. Clearly the best restaurant in St. Louis and one of the best restaurants in all of the Midwest.Special Features:
- Hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/16/2014One of my favorite restaurants. Awesome scallops and the blue cheese soufflé is to die for.Special Features:
- LUCKY STL!CincinnatiKidDined on 7/16/2014What a jewel! Server [Garrett] knew his wines:) and lost of art of organizing an exquisite dining experience. We ordered the filet and the salmon with the mashed peas.....omg! Absolutely superb and with the wine pairing....heavenly. You definitely do not want to miss this one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent choiceBurgsDined on 7/14/2014Excellent restaurant. Appeared to have many locals and returning customers. Good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentABthreeDined on 7/11/2014Fabulous experience. Food was excellent! Staff , service was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great MealpetervanaDined on 7/9/2014We don't get to The Crossing as often as we should, and every time we go we always get our best St. Louis meal. We had the Premium Tasting and everything couldn't have been better. Both entrees were cooked as we asked, service was spot on, and we were not stuffed at the end of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful for a special occasionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014I chose this restaurant for a girls night out to celebrate a close friends 30th birthday. None of us had been before so I was a little nervous because we eat out a lot just for fun and I was hoping for something that would be special and better than average. The Crossing definitely did not fail to impress! We all had the Chefs Tasting Menu and the food was absolutely delish. Our server Gus helped us with our selections and was very knowledgeable about the wine list, food, and preparations, and gave us a detail on a huge variety of dishes that were served. Come prepared to spend some money so that you are able to fully enjoy what the restaurant has to offer to the full extent. It is well worth it!Special Features: